++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 14, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #28,517 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Well hello there. Looking for some recommendations. 

I think its time to upgrade from my sennheiser HD 448. I really do like its sound. 

Looking to spend no more that $250 on the headphone. I have the magni/modi amp and dac combo. It will be for home use so it can be open or closed. I find the HD 448 are really good for music but not so good for movies and gaming. 

So what good cans are there for no more than $250 that do movies and gaming well?

Bump again. :frowning2: . No advice? someone? anyone?

Can't help if we are not very familiar with the HD 448.  You will probably have to describe their sound signature.

May 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #28,518 of 29,490
Hey guys, first post here, though I've been lurking around these forums for quite a while now. I'm looking into buying a new pair of headphones.

Budget: Worth $200 or below.

Preferred Tonal Balance: I'm not a fan of extended bass. I'm more into neutral-sounding headphones with good instrument separation.

Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-ear / circumaural / closed-back headphones (I'm not good with the lingo). The ones that swallow-up your ears completely. I'm also looking for durability and a detachable cable feature.

Source: I'll mostly be plugging it into my iPod Touch or Laptop, and I don't use any DACs or amps.

Past Headphones: I currently use a pair of Superlux HD 661, and I'm now looking to upgrade.

Preferred Music: I don't have any particular genre, since I listen to pretty much everything (hence the neutral preference). Though I do have a rather large collection of orchestral, instrumentals (BGMs of various video games/anime/movies, and music used for movie trailers), rock, and a bit of dubstep.

I've narrowed down my choices to:
Logitech UE 6000
Pioneer HDJ-2000 (though it is a bit pricier than $200)
V-Moda Crossfade M-80 or LP2
KRK KNS8400

Any other recommendations would be great as well. I'm really looking for durability and a detachable cable since I have a tendency to easily break the cables and eventually the headbands. I'd appreciate any help!

May 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #28,520 of 29,490
Hi, i am looking for some great headphones to use when i walk around outside, visiting parents or wahtever. :)

I listen mainly to metal, (Deathcore, Melodic) but also hip hop. but the main-thing is they need to be good for metal-listening.

my budget is around  130-150$

They need to be comfy, not to "big - like the size of a plate" - still need to look "good" :wink: and a bit durable (when i maybe put em in my backpack, or wear around my neck when having fun).

i dont know much about headphones but i have looked a bit at Marshall Major? - because well marshall = rock? and they look a bit O.K. but maybe there are better alternatives? for what i listen to / use them for!?

Looking forward to some sugestions.

Edit: they are going to play music trough my iPhone 5 (spotify) - if this makes some difference.

May 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #28,521 of 29,490
Second post, having a lot of trouble finding the right headphones.

-> Taste in music: If I had to pick a genre that I listen to the most it would be house or deep house, but I'm also a big fan of the Beatles, the Smiths, Coldplay and (of course) the new album by Daft Punk... Basically everything except metal and dubstep. 70% electronic, 30% everything else.
-> Being a student Interaction Design I have to do some audio editing (ranging from making soundscapes to editing videos). Headphones that try to be as clear as possible would be a plus.
-> As a proper student, I have very little money to spend. My budget is 100 euro tops. I'm not sure what it would be in dollars as headphones range in price dramatically (the SR60i's retail for $140 instead of $69 here in the Netherlands). If the headphones sell for under 90-100 pounds on Amazon UK or under 100 euro on Amazon DE (not US as there seems to be no way to import headphones from America), that'd be nice. 
-> I don't care that much about style, I'm not planning on using them outside.

Any input would be really appreciated!

May 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #28,522 of 29,490
Quote:
Second post, having a lot of trouble finding the right headphones.

-> Taste in music: If I had to pick a genre that I listen to the most it would be house or deep house, but I'm also a big fan of the Beatles, the Smiths, Coldplay and (of course) the new album by Daft Punk... Basically everything except metal and dubstep. 70% electronic, 30% everything else.
-> Being a student Interaction Design I have to do some audio editing (ranging from making soundscapes to editing videos). Headphones that try to be as clear as possible would be a plus.
-> As a proper student, I have very little money to spend. My budget is 100 euro tops. I'm not sure what it would be in dollars as headphones range in price dramatically (the SR60i's retail for $140 instead of $69 here in the Netherlands). If the headphones sell for under 90-100 pounds on Amazon UK or under 100 euro on Amazon DE (not US as there seems to be no way to import headphones from America), that'd be nice. 
-> I don't care that much about style, I'm not planning on using them outside.

Any input would be really appreciated!

If you can stand sibilance and a bit of harshness, and don't mind a smeared sound, the AKG K540 is quite good for house music, don't know about the Beatles and such. It has good treble that is good for house music, but can be overly bright quite a bit sometimes, and it has quite a strong bass aswell, but definitely not basshead bass. 

May 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #28,523 of 29,490
Hi, i am looking for some great headphones to use when i walk around outside, visiting parents or wahtever. :)

I listen mainly to metal, (Deathcore, Melodic) but also hip hop. but the main-thing is they need to be good for metal-listening.

my budget is around  130-150$

They need to be comfy, not to "big - like the size of a plate" - still need to look "good" :wink: and a bit durable (when i maybe put em in my backpack, or wear around my neck when having fun).

i dont know much about headphones but i have looked a bit at Marshall Major? - because well marshall = rock? and they look a bit O.K. but maybe there are better alternatives? for what i listen to / use them for!?

Looking forward to some sugestions.

Edit: they are going to play music trough my iPhone 5 (spotify) - if this makes some difference.

You could check out Grado sr80I (open back) or Sony MDR V6

Both are quite good for metal IMO

May 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #28,524 of 29,490
Thanks! After a quick search here on head-fi it seems a lot of people are disappointed in the AKG's, are they really that bad or just fairly analytical? AKG describes them as 'deliver the lifelike, flat response voicing that music professionals insist on'.
Earlier today I looked into the Audio Technica ATH-T500, those seem to get more positive responses. How would they compare to the K540?

Please note that although analytical headphones would be better for school projects, I intent to use the headphones mainly for personal listening and I love a basshead bass.

May 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #28,525 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks! After a quick search here on head-fi it seems a lot of people are disappointed in the AKG's, are they really that bad or just fairly analytical? AKG describes them as 'deliver the lifelike, flat response voicing that music professionals insist on'.
Earlier today I looked into the Audio Technica ATH-T500, those seem to get more positive response. How would they compare to the K540?

Please note that although analytical headphones would be better for school projects, I intent to use the headphones mainly for personal listening and I love a basshead bass.

I don't know about the T500, never listened to them. But if your music is recorded well, like 192 kbps and higher, the AKG's will sound fine. They don't have that basshead bass, just a quite strong bassline in general. You need to like bright highs though if you want to like them, but I found out they're really good for house music actually, but I don't know about rock. I warn you though, they definitely need a lot of burn in to be better, like 60 hours atleast. They sound horrible straight out of the box. They also don't have a good soundstage for a semi-open can and instrument separation is slightly below average for a semi-open can. But you don't really need a lot of instruments for house music, that's why they're fine for that.

I forgot to mention they don't add a lot of coloration to your music, just a bit ''warmth''. They're quite natural sounding actually.

May 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #28,526 of 29,490
Quote:
Earlier today I looked into the Audio Technica ATH-T500, those seem to get more positive responses. How would they compare to the K540?

M-Audio Q40's if you like bass but are concerned about the rest of the spectrum. I recommend looking into them.

May 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #28,529 of 29,490
Quote:
Will the SR-225 be a good all around can for all genres?

This is all a matter of opinion but in general, no. Grados have a very colored sound signature. However, I'm sure that you could modify them to sound how you would like, it just depends on the amount of work you are willing to do. My MS1000's are phenomenal headphones and I would put them up against any genre but that would be a blasphemous statement if I hadn't modded them.

May 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #28,530 of 29,490
Hey guys, not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I'm in a huge dilemma :)

I have recently bought the Shure SE215 In-Ears (about two or three months ago), and I am in love with them. The sound is very nice and I really like them. My only complaint is regarding the difficulty that it is to put them on :)

After buying an over-ear headphone for my girlfriend, I noticed how I miss being able to just put up some over-ears and how comfortable they are.

So, I am here to ask if I should buy the Phillips Uptown. They are on sale for £56, and I think it is a reasonable price.
My main question is if its sound quality is on the same standard as the SE215, as I don't want to get a really better headphone (I still want to come back to hearing my SE215s!). The Uptown is really pretty and classy, and according to all the reviews, it looks like it is a good deal.

I know that we can't quite compare between in-ears and over-ears, but do you guys *think* it would be a good buy, given the conditions that I mentioned? What would be the main advantages and disadvantages?

Thank you very much for all your comments and advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back