++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 12, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #28,471 of 29,490
Quote:
Bump. Please don't bite me, Monster Inspiration haters especially. I need an honest opinion or two that can help me with this decision, as I'm super clueless, here. :p

I own the Monster Inspiration, and they sound fun... the bass is big, isolation switch is cool, but I use it more as a volume boost.  anyway, after trying the dt880's, the inspirations are unbearable to listen to.   If you still want that bass, maybe try the dt990's?  I bought them also for just that reason, but haven't tried them yet.  

May 12, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #28,472 of 29,490
Quote:
I've posted in this thread before, but at the time I had a much broader selection of headphones that I was considering and since then I've narrowed my search down to three headphones, all pretty different from the other, so I figured it would be appropriate to post here again. Plus, posting again will hopefully get a few more perspectives and opinions from different people which is exactly what I'm looking for. Also, I'm no audiophile, so please don't hate me if the decision is blatantly obvious to some of you as to which headphones I should invest in.

So here're the contestants. The Sony MDR-V55, the Sennheiser HD 449, and the Monster Inspiration. I know they're not all the best headphones out there, and I know they're all considerably different from each other. But these are my choices for various reasons, and that's that. Besides, anything's better than what I have now. Anyway, I would be using the headphones for producing electronic music at home so a more neutral, balanced sound is desired, I don't have an amp and I would prefer not to get one though if I needed to I'd try to look for one, over the ear and closed headphones are more to my liking but that could be substituted for the overall quality of the headphones if needed.. and am I missing any other specifications? I don't think so, as the price isn't an issue really, so I have no budget. Thank you for any replies, I'm not sure what I should do. :)

TL;DR, the Sony MDR-V55, the Sennheiser HD 449, and the Monster Inspiration - what's a better balanced/neutral sound to be used for producing electronic music in a home environment?

1. What's your budget? Give us something so we can start.
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

May 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #28,473 of 29,490
  • What's your budget? Give us something so we can start.
  • Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  • What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  • What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  • What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  • Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

My budget is about $300, I plan on using them at home for producing electronic music, I'd much prefer closed than open but if the phones are that much better and they aren't closed, then I suppose I could deal with it, I listen to electronic music of all kinds and also some J-rock, it wouldn't be coming from an amp but rather a Mac laptop, I'm looking for a more balanced/neutral sound that would be useful for mixing and mastering. However. I have limited options, which is why I posted the most kind of random headphones ever as my options. I'll explain what I mean through my response to the next reply, here..

I own the Monster Inspiration, and they sound fun... the bass is big, isolation switch is cool, but I use it more as a volume boost.  anyway, after trying the dt880's, the inspirations are unbearable to listen to.   If you still want that bass, maybe try the dt990's?  I bought them also for just that reason, but haven't tried them yet.  

I don't necessarily want a very big bass, because as I said in my original post I'm looking for a more balanced sound as I'll be using them for mixing and mastering. I would, if I had the options, lean towards buying a beyerdynamic brand over the ear closed headphone of some sort, but my problem is that I need to substitute quality for quantity. Y'see, good warranty is very important to me, especially when I live with younger siblings who could destroy anything in under just a few seconds, and the only local store I can find with a very reliable warranty has a limited stock, which is why I'm choosing between the three particular headphones I mentioned, as they're the only decent headphones in that particular store. So yeah, unless I can find a different place that has a very good warranty as well as a much better stock (what I mean in terms of warranty is that physical and non physical damage are covered for a decent amount of time like say a year or more) then the headphones I'm picking from are going to have to be what I originally selected there. Thanks for both of your replies. :)

May 12, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #28,474 of 29,490
My budget is about $400, I plan on using them at home for producing electronic music, I'd much prefer closed than open but if the phones are that much better and they aren't closed, then I suppose I could deal with it, I listen to electronic music of all kinds and also some J-rock, it wouldn't be coming from an amp but rather a Mac laptop, I'm looking for a more balanced/neutral sound that would be useful for mixing and mastering. However. I have limited options, which is why I posted the most kind of random headphones ever as my options. I'll explain what I mean through my response to the next reply, here..
I don't necessarily want a very big bass, because as I said in my original post I'm looking for a more balanced sound as I'll be using them for mixing and mastering. I would, if I had the options, lean towards buying a beyerdynamic brand over the ear closed headphone of some sort, but my problem is that I need to substitute quality for quantity. Y'see, good warranty is very important to me, especially when I live with younger siblings who could destroy anything in under just a few seconds, and the only local store I can find with a very reliable warranty has a limited stock, which is why I'm choosing between the three particular headphones I mentioned, as they're the only decent headphones in that particular store. So yeah, unless I can find a different place that has a very good warranty as well as a much better stock (what I mean in terms of warranty is that physical and non physical damage are covered for a decent amount of time like say a year or more) then the headphones I'm picking from are going to have to be what I originally selected there. Thanks for both of your replies. :)

You can buy an additional warranty for electronics if you need it: http://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-2-Year-Electronics-Accident-Protection/dp/B0045DT43W

I'm not positive, but I believe those might cover headphones, too.

May 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #28,475 of 29,490
I have a simple request i've found many users have had issues with, without a common solution: The AKG K550's bass impact. It extends, but it lacks impact. any suggestions for other headphones that have similar properties (soundstage, amazing highs and mids, closed, solid construction, comfortable) with bass impact? I use it with a C&C BH out of IP5 and laptop, if that helps.

May 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #28,476 of 29,490
I have a simple request i've found many users have had issues with, without a common solution: The AKG K550's bass impact. It extends, but it lacks impact. any suggestions for other headphones that have similar properties (soundstage, amazing highs and mids, closed, solid construction, comfortable) with bass impact? I use it with a C&C BH out of IP5 and laptop, if that helps.

I don't think this is a simple request. I haven't heard them, but aren't the AKG K550s well known for being a one of a kind with the different properties you describe, achieving a soundstage that is more similar to an open headphone? In other words, I think you may have a lot of trouble finding something like them with more bass without compromising on something (at least the soundstage).

Now if you don't mind an artificial soundstage, Ultrasone's S-Logic technology does a good job of creating an engaging surround experience in a closed headphone. And you can definitely get more bass :D The highs and mids will be different.

May 13, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #28,477 of 29,490
I'm guessing no one has much advice on a flagship within a thread where most are asking about entry level cans... I think I'm just gonna get the t5p's, then the 770's later (as weird as that may sound).  thanksss anyway lol

Quote:
I came from Beats Pro (only because they were free) and became very used to that sound, but wanted to try an upgrade, so I bought the dt880's (32 ohm, portability is very important to me).  I've really enjoyed the 880s, but because I was so used to the hyped sound of the Beats, the 880's are lacking in bass and the highs are a bit too harsh for me.  SO I went ahead and purchased the dt990's 32 ohm to hopefully make up in the bass/sub bass.  I haven't listened to them yet, but they're waiting for me in the mail for when I get back home. 

I realized soon after purchasing the 990s that I need minimal leakage, so I prefer a closed headphone.  

So now, I'm leaning towards trying out the dt770 32 ohm, or just pulling the trigger on the t5p.  They seem to hit all my marks, except I haven't listened to either.  

How do the 770 & t5p compare (which has more bass and is more gentle on the treble), what are similarities between t5p to the 880 or 990, and what would you recommend? 

Thanks all!
-bliss

May 13, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #28,478 of 29,490
if u like beatsbass, u will (VERY) likely find the bass in T5p lacking. 
T5p has superior clarity over the 770/880/990 range, but of cos$$$$.
i suggest u check out ue6000/ue9000 if u want some bass impact,
i can feel the kick of the bass when i turn on the noise cancellation mode..off my ipad :p
and i didnt feel any sacrifice in clarity in the mids/highs. 

May 13, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #28,479 of 29,490
Quote:
if u like beatsbass, u will (VERY) likely find the bass in T5p lacking. 
T5p has superior clarity over the 770/880/990 range, but of cos$$$$.
i suggest u check out ue6000/ue9000 if u want some bass impact,
i can feel the kick of the bass when i turn on the noise cancellation mode..off my ipad :p
and i didnt feel any sacrifice in clarity in the mids/highs. 

what amp goes good with the ue9000? lol im jk.
have you listened to t5p and the dt line? which dt does the t5p sound most similar to?  

May 13, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #28,480 of 29,490
Quote:

what amp goes good with the ue9000? lol im jk.
have you listened to t5p and the dt line? which dt does the t5p sound most similar to?  

You're a basshead. A good closed-back basshead can is going to be the V-moda M100. Check that out.

May 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #28,481 of 29,490
Need help for my Uncle.  He is looking for the best sound, closed headphones that will not leak sound.

Must be under $50 USD.  (Can be over-ear or on-ear).

Some the the Pairs I was thinking about are the:

Monoprice 8323 - $30

Pioneer STEEZ 808 SE-MJ751I - $60 (But drop to $40 all the time)

Audio-Technica ATH-M30 - $43 (My number 1 suggestion for him so far)

Any other suggestions I am not thinking about that would be better?

May 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #28,482 of 29,490
Hello all,

what's the most neutral (balanced), detailed headphone, with fairly balanced and extended bass thats ideal for mixing/critical listening but also does not need an amp for the iPhone?

- Currently have the Shure SRH840 (studio recording work and general listening) - love the treble and mid detail, hate the non-detailed bass (closed sound?), and listening on it makes me feel like im distant from the performer.
- Have TF10 (for on stage work) - it does what I need it to do, lets me hear every instrument on stage well, from bass, bass drum to keys and electric..) not too impressed with the sound, just a really good all rounder.
- Alessandro MS1a - not happy with it, non balanced sound (boomy mid bass), but Adele's 21 album sounds amazing on it. So I bought it.

Recommendations? Dont care about closed/open - just care about the sound.

May 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #28,483 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all,

what's the most neutral (balanced), detailed headphone, with fairly balanced and extended bass thats ideal for mixing/critical listening but also does not need an amp for the iPhone?

- Currently have the Shure SRH840 (studio recording work and general listening) - love the treble and mid detail, hate the non-detailed bass (closed sound?), and listening on it makes me feel like im distant from the performer.
- Have TF10 (for on stage work) - it does what I need it to do, lets me hear every instrument on stage well, from bass, bass drum to keys and electric..) not too impressed with the sound, just a really good all rounder.
- Alessandro MS1a - not happy with it, non balanced sound (boomy mid bass), but Adele's 21 album sounds amazing on it. So I bought it.

Recommendations? Dont care about closed/open - just care about the sound.

i like my dt880 32 ohm.  the bass isn't very loud, but it sounds good all the way down to the subs.  you will used to it's very VERY neutral sound overtime.   And it's a highly rated headphone by a dude who has some of the top "flagship" headphones.  

check it out:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

As for out of an iPhone, that's what I run mine out of, and the levels get loud enough, but not as loud as say beats by dre.  

actually, I just bought the t5p so I may sell the 880 if you're interested

May 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #28,484 of 29,490
Quote:
Need help for my Uncle.  He is looking for the best sound, closed headphones that will not leak sound.

Must be under $50 USD.  (Can be over-ear or on-ear).

Some the the Pairs I was thinking about are the:

Monoprice 8323 - $30

Pioneer STEEZ 808 SE-MJ751I - $60 (But drop to $40 all the time)

Audio-Technica ATH-M30 - $43 (My number 1 suggestion for him so far)

Any other suggestions I am not thinking about that would be better?

$50 is always in interesting budget because if you just raise it slightly, you can get the MDR-V6. You could also save yourself some money and just go with the 8323 which isn't a bad way to go for a beater headphone.

May 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #28,485 of 29,490
Quote:
You can buy an additional warranty for electronics if you need it: http://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-2-Year-Electronics-Accident-Protection/dp/B0045DT43W

I'm not positive, but I believe those might cover headphones, too.

I've looked into it, and it seems they do cover headphones.

Oh my god, this changes everything. YES! Thank you so much man. I really super appreciate it. :D

Now, considering I have way more options, I suppose I'll have to ask a different question here in this forum. Similar, but still different. Taking into account what I said in an earlier post, "My budget is about $300, I plan on using the headphones at home for producing electronic music, I'd much prefer closed than open but if the phones are that much better and they aren't closed, then I suppose I could deal with it, I listen to electronic music of all kinds and also some J-rock, I wouldn't be using an amp but rather a Mac laptop, I'm looking for a more balanced/neutral sound that would be useful for mixing and mastering.", any clue as to which headphones I should invest in? I hear beyerdynamics are good, but what's the ideal model in my price range? Or is there something even better?

TL;DR, $300 budget, looking for closed over the ear headphones for electronic music production with a balanced/neutral sound, and I don't have an amp to use. If there is an amp for cheap I suppose that may be good, I could consider it. Thanks again for anyone who helps me out here! :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back