++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #28,321 of 29,490
I've asked for recommendations here before, but my feel for what I like and don't like and how to describe it hadn't yet developed and I didn't really have much experience with other headphones or IEMs to compare with. 

Well, now I have found my favorite IEM... one that is completely aurally satisfying for me, the UE900. I am curious if anyone can recommend a headphone which has some of the same characteristics as the UE900. Everything is very balanced sounding (flat-ish), yet this earphone has that mysterious PRaT. It is resolving up top while not being sibilant or harsh in any way (that is very important for me) and it extends into the sub-bass quite well along with having some nice punch (though the bass is not bloated out of proportion at all). I'm basically describing something perfect for me. Even the soundstage is pretty decent... for an IEM.

I've always been very curious about the LCD-II... almost on the verge of buying some without ever hearing them honestly as I don't have a good place to demo them. I do sometimes like a darker sound (I like my Shure SE215) and I do love me some well-extended bass. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone had any experience with the two and could give me a quick comparo. 

Now, in the entire world of headphones up to about the $1200 mark, what would you recommend? I particularly love the way a good balanced armature can handle treble, but I'm afraid that will be very difficult to replicate in a can while still achieving well-extended bass (which is the thing which draws me to the LCD-II the most, along with being made in the US and being quite beautiful. I appreciate good craftsmanship!). 

As an aside, I feel like some might recommend the Momentums. I have owned them and didn't really love them. I felt that the mids were just slightly metallic sounding, the treble was a bit harsh, and I didn't love bass presentation (mostly extension). 

May 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #28,322 of 29,490
May 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #28,323 of 29,490
Quote:
Well hello Head-Fiers!  I've been lurking these forums for the past couple years or so (Like 5... creepy I know) and finally decided to join up and ask some advice.  I've always liked the idea of high quality audio and have done my best to afford it with what limited budget I have available.  Recently however I found myself with some disposable income and would like to best invest it in my budding collection of audio gear.  Currently my setup includes the e07k DAC/AMP with my PC or using FiiO L9 LOD with my iphone and a pair of Senn HD280 pros with dynamat mod (I also have a pair of MDR-ZX100 LAWL).  Anywho, my predicament is where to go next.  I remember when I first bought these probably 4ish years ago, they were the best thing to happen to my ears in the history of sound!  Now I WANT MORE!!!  The HD's were an easy choice for me due to my limited $100 budget (well with a bit of a struggle between them and the AKG K240's) but going upwards the options are endless and SOOOO daunting.

Basically I need some advice on what to do next.  I've got my eyes set on the schiit magni and modi combo for my first REAL DAC and AMP and am entertaining a nice pair of open headphones as I have closed ones and would like to see what they are all about.

I've been looking at Grado, AKG and Sennheiser, AT, and HiFiMan.

Speciffically:
Grado: SR80i, SR125i, SR225i, SR325is
AKG: Q701's and AKG k702 (also thinking of buying a set of AKG k240 mkII's just to add to the collection)
Sennheiser: 598's, HD600/650
AT: ATH-AD700x/900x
HiFiMan: HE300/400

The caveats to my endeavor are this: 
1.  I'm fairly handy and will probably end up making my own cables and can do any necessary mods but would prefer not to. 
2.  I want to spend around $400-500 for the next stage of my upgrade.  So for most of those options I can get the headphones AND the schiitt combo at the same time, COOL!  But my fear is that I'm just going to be upgrading again so maybe buy the HE400's and use my current e07k until I can buy the schiitts...  Or just buy the Schiitt's and hold off on headphones or.....   GAHH!!!!  I'm all sorts of 'reviewed out' and need some personal advice on what I should do.

Thoughts?

Also:  Thanks in advance!

EDIT:  Also I was looking at this http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Assembled-Headphone-Amplifier-Transformer/dp/B008BGLN5G/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1368103155&sr=1-2 as a tube amp test... but I'm confused on what exactly it is... I thought it was just a tube amp, but the preamplifier in the title is throwing me off a bit.

In your case, you need to decide what can (or can group) you want before going forward.  A choice among the very efficient Grados will lead you in a different direction than a choice from the somewhat demanding HD 600 or 650.

May 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #28,324 of 29,490
Quote:
Since you reference several phones in my personal collection and since we seem to be at a similar place, I'm going to wade in here though I usually leave it to the "experts:"

First a word about methodology. I find an allure to electronic components almost as great as to headphones themselves. I'm talking about a visual thing. So I tend towards something similar to what you're doing... that is picking both at once. But I think what makes more sense is to pick and settle on a can and then find electronics to drive and complement it.

That's exactly what I was trying to figure out!  That makes sense.  I know I like the Senn's but want to branch out.  That seems like a good way to go, and knowing that I at least have an adequate amp/dac means that I can try out the cans to hear their unique signatures and decide whether or not to invest further in that specific sound.

Quote:
The AD700/900x are my go to for modern recordings that are highly sampled/lossless acoustic stuff be it horn driven jazz, orchestral, vocal, or folkish stuff. I love the way the ADs handle overtones plain and simple. Organic sound sources are all about overtones. I want to sample more phones in the AD line, but for now, the 700 has been superceded by the 900x in everything but the aesthetic department for me. I like the maroon/gold enough that I've debated a transplant of the 900x drivers. When I return to sanity, I see the AD700 being sold off as the 900x is even more open on the top end (overtones) and has better bass as well.

Quote:
Bottom line is this for me: AD900X as my goto for the bulk of my listening which is acoustic voice/instrumentation driven across numerous genres. HD598 are my goto salvage phone for my crappy source recordings. The HE400 is my goto for electronic genres where natural overtones were long ago obliterated. Were this more of my listening, the HE400 would be elevated, but since it's a minor portion of my listening, they would be the one I'd let go of first in a pinch.

These two pieces are interesting to me as well.  My HD 280's make most things sound great (at least to my ear) so they could be as you say my "salvage phone".  My listening tastes are typically electronic ambient (?), indie/folk, new jazz/jazz, classical, and some hip hop (that being the order of listening amount as well). Bands such as: m83, sigur ros, boy friend, ratatat, the cinematic orchestra, kid cudi, a tribe called quest and the like.  So the fact that you say the ad900x's are good for acoustic stuff, would they be able to handle my music tastes with a good quality sound?  That's one of the problems I've been facing.  I do like the idea of those phones.  And have been eyeing either the AD700 (@ <$100) or the ad900x (@ ~$200 (the ad700x seems pointless with the ad900x being only $40 jump). 

The q701 and k702 are really catching my fancy, I've heard the AKG 550's and enjoyed their sound profile. As far as the Senn's go I have a pair and am looking to try a new brand methinks so we've at least cut out one of the sets! 

Grado's are still a big question as I've heard nothing but good things about them...

It seems to me that the HE400's might be a purchase I make at a later date and I will stick in the $200 for the time being.  Any additional insight on this?

May 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #28,325 of 29,490
Hello,
I currently own a Corsair Vengeance 1500 gaming headset so I am officially a Noob at Head-Fi.
atsmile.gif

After reading a lot, a lot, a lot of reviews and forums posts (for the past two months), I have decided to buy a serious headset; or my first serious headset to put it this way.
I'll try to clear everything I can in this one post but apologies if I am unable to do so.

I own an Alienware M18xR2 because I need serious performance and mobility at the same time because I am a student.
It has a 'Creative Sound blaster Recon3Di' which is (seems) pretty decent.

Open cans are new to me but since they are more natural and better in most ways and since my living setup allows me to use it, I might give it a go.
At the same time, I'd prefer wireless freedom; not that I like to move with headphones, just that it helps maintains a clean desk (which is important to me).

My current short list is:
Open cans:
Sennheiser HD558
Sennheiser RS220
Sennheiser RS180

Closed cans:
Sennheiser RS170

While I don't have a fixed budget, I'd like to keep it under £200 / $300.
And yeah, the headphone should visually look good as well which is why the AD700 (ugly; in my mind) and HD598 (horrible color; in my mind) are not in the list.

My use would be 33.3% gaming, 33.3% movies/tv-shows, 33.3% music and 0.1% windows sounds.
biggrin.gif

I prefer deep bass but not extreme. For a reference point, something a little higher than my Corsair 1500 with custom bassy EQ would be perfect.
My music sources aren't that high-end. Usually 256kbps AAC variable and 320kbps MP3 variable. I do listen to FLAC sources but very rarely.

From the reviews and my requirements, the HD558 is a masterpiece (within price range obviously) for gaming, music and movies because of wide sound-stage and decent bass but like I said earlier, I would prefer, I'll repeat prefer, wireless!
The RS180 doesn't seems to have good reviews so there's a low change if it'll stay in my shortlist and the RS220s are a bit too expensive - I wouldn't mind buying them if they are worth the extra.
On the dark side of the moon, the RS170 are the best closed headsets that seems to fulfill my job and are my only choice if I decided to go with a closed can headset.

The questions:
1. How far would you prefer open cans over closed cans given I can use open cans in my living environment?
2. How would you rate the headphones in my short list?
3. Would you recommend anything else for my requirement (I would prefer to stick with Sennheiser for my first serious headset)?

EDIT:
4. Would you recommend any DAC for my shortlist?

May 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #28,326 of 29,490
Quote:
I've asked for recommendations here before, but my feel for what I like and don't like and how to describe it hadn't yet developed and I didn't really have much experience with other headphones or IEMs to compare with. 

Well, now I have found my favorite IEM... one that is completely aurally satisfying for me, the UE900. I am curious if anyone can recommend a headphone which has some of the same characteristics as the UE900. Everything is very balanced sounding (flat-ish), yet this earphone has that mysterious PRaT. It is resolving up top while not being sibilant or harsh in any way (that is very important for me) and it extends into the sub-bass quite well along with having some nice punch (though the bass is not bloated out of proportion at all). I'm basically describing something perfect for me. Even the soundstage is pretty decent... for an IEM.

I've always been very curious about the LCD-II... almost on the verge of buying some without ever hearing them honestly as I don't have a good place to demo them. I do sometimes like a darker sound (I like my Shure SE215) and I do love me some well-extended bass. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone had any experience with the two and could give me a quick comparo. 

Now, in the entire world of headphones up to about the $1200 mark, what would you recommend? I particularly love the way a good balanced armature can handle treble, but I'm afraid that will be very difficult to replicate in a can while still achieving well-extended bass (which is the thing which draws me to the LCD-II the most, along with being made in the US and being quite beautiful. I appreciate good craftsmanship!). 

As an aside, I feel like some might recommend the Momentums. I have owned them and didn't really love them. I felt that the mids were just slightly metallic sounding, the treble was a bit harsh, and I didn't love bass presentation (mostly extension). 

You need to do some homework and narrow things down.  You should probably start here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

One more thing--cans priced at about $1,000 or above are best discussed in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

May 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #28,327 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The bass oriented cans (e.g. M50 and DT770) you are considering are bad for classical.  They have the wrong sound signature and a very small sound stage.  If you want a can that is good or even just decent for classical music, you need something more neutral and certainly a can that does not have recessed mids.  If you are not OK with an open can, then a good studio type can is probably your best choice if listening to classical music is important to you.

I can probably get away with open headphones I'll just mess with the gain of my mic. Are there any suggested pairs of headphones with a neutral sound?

If your budget is below $200, your best choices are probably the HD 558 or AD900.

May 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #28,328 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,
I currently own a Corsair Vengeance 1500 gaming headset so I am officially a Noob at Head-Fi.
atsmile.gif

After reading a lot, a lot, a lot of reviews and forums posts (for the past two months), I have decided to buy a serious headset; or my first serious headset to put it this way.
I'll try to clear everything I can in this one post but apologies if I am unable to do so.

I own an Alienware M18xR2 because I need serious performance and mobility at the same time because I am a student.
It has a 'Creative Sound blaster Recon3Di' which is (seems) pretty decent.

Open cans are new to me but since they are more natural and better in most ways and since my living setup allows me to use it, I might give it a go.
At the same time, I'd prefer wireless freedom; not that I like to move with headphones, just that it helps maintains a clean desk (which is important to me).

My current short list is:
Open cans:
Sennheiser HD558
Sennheiser RS220
Sennheiser RS180

Closed cans:
Sennheiser RS170

While I don't have a fixed budget, I'd like to keep it under £200 / $300.
And yeah, the headphone should visually look good as well which is why the AD700 (ugly; in my mind) and HD598 (horrible color; in my mind) are not in the list.

My use would be 33.3% gaming, 33.3% movies/tv-shows, 33.3% music and 0.1% windows sounds.
biggrin.gif

I prefer deep bass but not extreme. For a reference point, something a little higher than my Corsair 1500 with custom bassy EQ would be perfect.
My music sources aren't that high-end. Usually 256kbps AAC variable and 320kbps MP3 variable. I do listen to FLAC sources but very rarely.

From the reviews and my requirements, the HD558 is a masterpiece (within price range obviously) for gaming, music and movies because of wide sound-stage and decent bass but like I said earlier, I would prefer, I'll repeat prefer, wireless!
The RS180 doesn't seems to have good reviews so there's a low change if it'll stay in my shortlist and the RS220s are a bit too expensive - I wouldn't mind buying them if they are worth the extra.
On the dark side of the moon, the RS170 are the best closed headsets that seems to fulfill my job and are my only choice if I decided to go with a closed can headset.

The questions:
1. How far would you prefer open cans over closed cans given I can use open cans in my living environment?
2. How would you rate the headphones in my short list?
3. Would you recommend anything else for my requirement (I would prefer to stick with Sennheiser for my first serious headset)?

EDIT:
4. Would you recommend any DAC for my shortlist?

Can't speak about the wireless cans, but the HD 558 is excellent--provided you do not want a bass oriented can.

May 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #28,329 of 29,490
hey, new here

I bought the aka k267's and had to return them because the build quality around the joint led to 2 hairline cracks within 3 weeks.  bought another pair and only one side (L or R) would work at a time.  
i want to get another pair of headphones (duh) in the same price range, preferably not going over, that has the same specs.  i produce music (mainly electronic at the moment- not necessarily EDM) and am a huge music listener (classical, rock, jazz, acoustic, electronic), and the k267's, imo, did a fantastic job addressing them all across the board.  not calling them the best, just saying my ears more than adjusted to them and it has proven in my mastering/eqing in post projects.  
now according to this:
http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&document_srl=17183
the transparency, dynamics, and resolution are relatively high.  i'm looking for something close to it,  that specifically can bring out the lows and make them boom but not be overly aggressive.  as in, if i turn the volume to 80%, i dont want them foghorning, just a bit of aggressive rumbling (i'm young i like that kind of thing).  besides, it helps me out since my low end hearing is a bit off.  lastly, the highs should be clear, not hugely crisp or aggresive, just clear.  same for the mids.  From what i understand, I'm looking for an open set of over ear cans with a relatively large sound stage for around that amount of money (300$~)

i know this is quite a lot asking for my first post but still, please help would be greatly appreciated.

May 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #28,330 of 29,490
hey, new here

I bought the aka k267's and had to return them because the build quality around the joint led to 2 hairline cracks within 3 weeks.  bought another pair and only one side (L or R) would work at a time.  

i want to get another pair of headphones (duh) in the same price range, preferably not going over, that has the same specs.  i produce music (mainly electronic at the moment- not necessarily EDM) and am a huge music listener (classical, rock, jazz, acoustic, electronic), and the k267's, imo, did a fantastic job addressing them all across the board.  not calling them the best, just saying my ears more than adjusted to them and it has proven in my mastering/eqing in post projects.  

now according to this:

the transparency, dynamics, and resolution are relatively high.  i'm looking for something close to it,  that specifically can bring out the lows and make them boom but not be overly aggressive.  as in, if i turn the volume to 80%, i dont want them foghorning, just a bit of aggressive rumbling (i'm young i like that kind of thing).  besides, it helps me out since my low end hearing is a bit off.  lastly, the highs should be clear, not hugely crisp or aggresive, just clear.  same for the mids.  From what i understand, I'm looking for an open set of over ear cans with a relatively large sound stage for around that amount of money (300$~)

i know this is quite a lot asking for my first post but still, please help would be greatly appreciated.

No it's not a lot. Anyway, I would recommend the Sony MDR MA900. Open cans in general would put out a lot of bass but these ma900s seem like they do it well enough for me.

You want the best of both worlds. I would recommend you use an eq for the ma900.

My ATH WS99 puts out much more bass, but the highs aren't open highs. I eq it an everything is alright. They're closed but they still rock!

May 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #28,331 of 29,490
Quote:
hey, new here

now according to this:

Look into M-Audio Q40's. Damn, I'm like a broken record.

May 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #28,332 of 29,490
Quote:
That's exactly what I was trying to figure out!  That makes sense.  I know I like the Senn's but want to branch out.  That seems like a good way to go, and knowing that I at least have an adequate amp/dac means that I can try out the cans to hear their unique signatures and decide whether or not to invest further in that specific sound.

These two pieces are interesting to me as well.  My HD 280's make most things sound great (at least to my ear) so they could be as you say my "salvage phone".  My listening tastes are typically electronic ambient (?), indie/folk, new jazz/jazz, classical, and some hip hop (that being the order of listening amount as well). Bands such as: m83, sigur ros, boy friend, ratatat, the cinematic orchestra, kid cudi, a tribe called quest and the like.  So the fact that you say the ad900x's are good for acoustic stuff, would they be able to handle my music tastes with a good quality sound?  That's one of the problems I've been facing.  I do like the idea of those phones.  And have been eyeing either the AD700 (@ <$100) or the ad900x (@ ~$200 (the ad700x seems pointless with the ad900x being only $40 jump). 

The q701 and k702 are really catching my fancy, I've heard the AKG 550's and enjoyed their sound profile. As far as the Senn's go I have a pair and am looking to try a new brand methinks so we've at least cut out one of the sets! 

Grado's are still a big question as I've heard nothing but good things about them...

It seems to me that the HE400's might be a purchase I make at a later date and I will stick in the $200 for the time being.  Any additional insight on this?

I'm enjoying listening to some of your music! I'd barely heard of any of the bands. /lol So far, it's interesting in light of the discussion here. (So far this is just based on M83 and Sigur Ros.) First off, I strongly doubt there is anything acoustic about any of this. I think this is all synthesized music meant to sound acoustic. That being said, the AD900X does a much better job convincing you it might be acoustic. More overall dynamics too. The HE400 gives more of a clubby, synthesized sound with dramatically more bass impact which is really cool. I can see the case being made for either, but personally, I'd choose the AD900X presentation if I had to choose one. Right now I'm listening to Boy Friend through the HE400 and I'm guessing they will be my preference here specifically because of how hard the bass is emphasized here and also much less emphasis on pseudo-acoustic noises.

I don't know the AKG x70x line except by what is said. That said, I've always been curious about them too. I'd imagine they might be the perfect melding between the AD/HE I'm sampling for you now. Also by reputation, I'd think one of the Beyer 880 variants might be a great compromise for you to consider. (They are another one I'd love to hear.) Another that might come into the discussion would be the Sony MA900 I would think, but again, I've not heard them.

One thing that I didn't touch on that comes into focus as I continually switch back and forth right now is that the AD900X is MUCH more comfortable than the HE400. Not that the 400 is uncomfortable, but the 900 is definitely more so.

So now I've sampled Boy Friend through AD900X too. Gonna have to contradict my earlier prediction and say I might prefer them through the AD900X too. But the presentation is entirely remixed. There is much more of that synthetic acoustic sound here than I anticipated. But what makes the choice for me is that I'm vocal oriented and the vocals definitely come to the forefront with the AD900X whereas bass is where it's at with the HE400 in keeping with more of a traditional hip hop presentation... not that this is traditional hip hop!

May 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #28,333 of 29,490
Hi everyone, new member and first post here:

I'm looking for some new full-size headphones. Based on my research thus far, I've narrowed it down to these:

Sony MDR-1R
V-Moda M-100
Sennheiser Momentum

Musical tastes: trance (Tiesto, Van Buuren, etc.), hip-hop (Wu-Tang, Nas, Fugees, Notorious B.I.G., etc.), classic rock (Pink Floyd!, Zeppelin, etc.), some mainstream rock/metal (Tool, Dream Theater, Static-X, etc.)

Don't listen to much "newer" rock or pop.

Sound preference: I like a lot of bass in any music I listen to. Not overpowering, but I like to be able to hear/distinguish all the lower frequencies in a song. I hate losing the lowest of the low in a song; maybe my biggest pet peeve with speakers, headphones, etc.

I like a more balanced, neutral, warm sound. I really don't like harsh treble (i.e. often prefer cloth tweeters to aluminum or titanium and I usually EQ the upper frequencies down on most equipment). 

I like a tighter soundstage; not an open "echo-ey" soundstage.

Gear that I have/have had, if it helps: 
Klipsh Image S4: loved the overall balance, but not enough bass for me
Monster Turbines: enjoyed the sound more than the S4s, especially the bass.
Sony MDR-V300: my current "full-size headhpones" for music/gaming (I know they're on-ear). They get the job done, but they're like 12+ years old and falling apart. Time to upgrade.
Polk Monitor 70 series speakers and custom sub: my current music/gaming setup. Obviously not headphones, but maybe this helps identify my sound preferences?...

I'm open to other headphone suggestions. I can get a very attractive discount on AKG 'phones through my work, so that's another option.

Oh, and a co-worker has the AudioTechnica M50's, which I was able to try. I thought the tonal balance was good, but the bass wasn't present enough for me in most songs. Though, it did show quite nicely in some electronic music. I probably wouldn't buy them after listening.

Thanks in advance! Hopefully my preferences aren't impossible to meet! 
tongue.gif

May 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #28,334 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm enjoying listening to some of your music! I'd barely heard of any of the bands. /lol So far, it's interesting in light of the discussion here. (So far this is just based on M83 and Sigur Ros.) First off, I strongly doubt there is anything acoustic about any of this. I think this is all synthesized music meant to sound acoustic. That being said, the AD900X does a much better job convincing you it might be acoustic. More overall dynamics too. The HE400 gives more of a clubby, synthesized sound with dramatically more bass impact which is really cool. I can see the case being made for either, but personally, I'd choose the AD900X presentation if I had to choose one. Right now I'm listening to Boy Friend through the HE400 and I'm guessing they will be my preference here specifically because of how hard the bass is emphasized here and also much less emphasis on pseudo-acoustic noises.

I don't know the AKG x70x line except by what is said. That said, I've always been curious about them too. I'd imagine they might be the perfect melding between the AD/HE I'm sampling for you now. Also by reputation, I'd think one of the Beyer 880 variants might be a great compromise for you to consider. (They are another one I'd love to hear.) Another that might come into the discussion would be the Sony MA900 I would think, but again, I've not heard them.

One thing that I didn't touch on that comes into focus as I continually switch back and forth right now is that the AD900X is MUCH more comfortable than the HE400. Not that the 400 is uncomfortable, but the 900 is definitely more so.

So now I've sampled Boy Friend through AD900X too. Gonna have to contradict my earlier prediction and say I might prefer them through the AD900X too. But the presentation is entirely remixed. There is much more of that synthetic acoustic sound here than I anticipated. But what makes the choice for me is that I'm vocal oriented and the vocals definitely come to the forefront with the AD900X whereas bass is where it's at with the HE400 in keeping with more of a traditional hip hop presentation... not that this is traditional hip hop!

Glad you're digging on it.  I've got plenty of reccommendations in that similar genre if you're interested, based on your jazz tastes I think "the cinematic orchestra" or portico quartet might be right up your alley and similar to m83/boy friend, check out future islands. 

But, back to the matter at hand:  I think I might be in the boat of buying a couple things to try.  I found a "for sale" on this site for grado 225i's and q701's for a  great combo deal which would afford me the opportunity to pick up the AD900x's with only a little bit of extra savings.  I'm intrigued by how you say those sound and think that if I can't find a pair to demo in my area, then I'll be picking them up at the end of the month.  I appreciate all the help, and know that I'm definitely sold on the ad900x's and am very grateful I didn't just pick the expensive is better approach and JUST get the HE-400's.  They are still on the list, but for a later day indeed!

May 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #28,335 of 29,490
Well as per http://www.head-fi.org/t/661452/sony-zx700-only-work-in-one-ear#post_9388577 my current headphones are [technical term here] knackered. In fact it only seems like 5 minutes ago I was asking about the Sonys.

My main requests are good isolation and low leakage, good build quality (especially since the ZX700s gave up the ghost after about 18 months) and comfort. But I think everyone says that so I guess it goes without saying.

As for type of music, I listen to pretty much anything but mainly rock, metal, that sort of thing. Apologies if I use these terms wrong, I'd want them to be quite warm and full [and any other terms that go along with those] but without it being to the detriment of everything else. Bassy, but without it being silly and unrealistic, so though you know it's there it doesn't takeover. For reference my earphones are SoundMagic E10s, which I enjoy. Given I listen to pretty much anything, I would prefer it if the headphones could cope with playing anything to a decent level.

They'll mainly be used at home with a laptop, so nothing taxing. As such I'm not too fussed on portability or removable cables or anything, just so long as they're not tanks. 

Budget wise, preferably somewhere around the £50 mark. But I would go higher if they were really worth it. And I do have a £10 Amazon voucher which I'm sure would love to be used for these...

I've probably forgotten to put in some info so if I need to add anything then just ask. Cheers for any help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back