++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #28,171 of 29,490
I'll try to make this a quick one. I've actually asked about this before and did not get many recommendations. One was KRK KNS-6400, which looks okay but I could use a few more options. I am looking for a fairly neutral, good quality sound, but the 'phones need to be collapsible or have a smallish footprint. Basically, I need to be able to keep them in my backpack. I do not like on ear headphones or IEMs (hence my question here). They need to be closed and DAC/Amp friendly. They will be used to listen to music (all genres aside from country and rock) from my computer.

Price range: $50 ~ $200 (street)

Have you read joker's portable headphone shootout? Lots of description in there, and it includes some DJ style headphones that are over ear and collapsable: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

May 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #28,172 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I am coming to the last day before I decide to return these amperior headphones. I contacted the seller and said I was going to return them tomorrow, but I supposed I could ask for more time or change my mind. Anyways I was just curious to know if full size headphones that cost less sound better than these. Would I do myself a favor by selling these and getting higher quality full size headphones, or are these the best in terms of iPod driven and portable? I've been waffling on the decision for the past Idon'tevenknowhowmany days. I've been listening to these headphones all day (literally from when I woke up to now, 8pm) and I still can't decide. 

May 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #28,173 of 29,490
Quote:
I'll try to make this a quick one. I've actually asked about this before and did not get many recommendations. One was KRK KNS-6400, which looks okay but I could use a few more options. I am looking for a fairly neutral, good quality sound, but the 'phones need to be collapsible or have a smallish footprint. Basically, I need to be able to keep them in my backpack. I do not like on ear headphones or IEMs (hence my question here). They need to be closed and DAC/Amp friendly. They will be used to listen to music (all genres aside from country and rock) from my computer.

Price range: $50 ~ $200 (street)

Both the 6400 and 8400 (which is also within your budget) fold into a flat position.  If that won't work for you and cans that fold up into the headband (like the Shure SRH 840) don't either, you need to concentrate on true portable headphones or IEM's.

May 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #28,174 of 29,490
Hey guys. I haven't posted here in years and I was lucky to have remembered my login info. Last time I posted, I was purchasing the Audio Technica a900(I could be totally wrong about the make/model). 

Anyway, what are you guys recommending nowadays for around the ear headphones without active noise cancelling? I don't like the battery operated, active cancellation. After the a900's went kaput, I ran out to a best buy and picked up a one hundred dollar set of Sony studio monitors. 

I really like the westone um1's but today's post is for seeking recommendations on AE headphones, no more than two hundred dollars. They will be primarily used for my PlayStation Vita. I've been using some "earphones" and frankly, I prefer the easy on off and greater audio range of AE phones. This post is poorly written and I apologise for that. I'm crazy tired. Thanks a lot for your time. 

May 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #28,175 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I am coming to the last day before I decide to return these amperior headphones. I contacted the seller and said I was going to return them tomorrow, but I supposed I could ask for more time or change my mind. Anyways I was just curious to know if full size headphones that cost less sound better than these. Would I do myself a favor by selling these and getting higher quality full size headphones, or are these the best in terms of iPod driven and portable? I've been waffling on the decision for the past Idon'tevenknowhowmany days. I've been listening to these headphones all day (literally from when I woke up to now, 8pm) and I still can't decide. 

I promise you that I'm not trying to be mean, but you've been given a very fair amount of recommendations. It's time to go and try those. No one here is going to be able to give you recommendations for something that "cost less" and "sound better" because half of that is purely subjective. The truth is the Amperior is a great headphone that excels in many areas that you've listed. You've found it to be uncomfortable, though, and that's completely valid. It's an extremely good reason to get rid of them and find something else and, from reading past posts and knowing how much I've responded to it, you've got a whole list of cans you can start testing with more here and here as well. So do that. Read reviews and go test.

May 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #28,176 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all!
My girlfriend want to get a headphone for less than 30 pounds. She listens usually to pop, electronic and rock. 
She really wants a durable, with good isolation headphone.
Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Here are two ideas: Panasonic RP-HTX7, Philips CityScape Downtown (SHL-5605). Both have good sound for the money.  They come in interesting colors.  (My daughter, who is her twenties, has a red RP-HTX7 and likes it.  I have a violet SHL-5605.)  The SHL-5605 has excellent isolation and a microphone.  They are portable but are good enough for home use; the SHL-5605 made InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame.  The RP-HTX7 is circumaural, while the SHL-5605 is on-ear.  Two more ideas: JVC HA-S400 and Beyerdynamic DT-235.  The latter is the least portable and plainer of the four.

May 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #28,177 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys. I haven't posted here in years and I was lucky to have remembered my login info. Last time I posted, I was purchasing the Audio Technica a900(I could be totally wrong about the make/model). 

Anyway, what are you guys recommending nowadays for around the ear headphones without active noise cancelling? I don't like the battery operated, active cancellation. After the a900's went kaput, I ran out to a best buy and picked up a one hundred dollar set of Sony studio monitors. 

I really like the westone um1's but today's post is for seeking recommendations on AE headphones, no more than two hundred dollars. They will be primarily used for my PlayStation Vita. I've been using some "earphones" and frankly, I prefer the easy on off and greater audio range of AE phones. This post is poorly written and I apologise for that. I'm crazy tired. Thanks a lot for your time. 

Which Sony studio cans did you buy and in what areas/ways are they not meeting your needs?

May 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #28,178 of 29,490
Quote:
Both the 6400 and 8400 (which is also within your budget) fold into a flat position.  If that won't work for you and cans that fold up into the headband (like the Shure SRH 840) don't either, you need to concentrate on true portable headphones or IEM's.

Thanks. The SRH-840 - wasn't sure about the fold up on those. Thanks for mentioning them. They are on my list. I'm going to read through joker's post again (haven't looked for a long time - I forgot about it).

I bought a set of Q460s recently and dread listening to music on them. Among other things, I don't like the feel of on-ear. I've basically stopped using IEMs on the advice of my doctor so those are a no-go.

EDIT: Okay, so I bought the KRK6400s. It seemed that everywhere I looked brought me back to those. Ended up with a good deal on an open box set, so looking forward to trying these out! Should be here next week sometime.

May 6, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #28,179 of 29,490
Hey guys. I'm new to the forums and I am looking for a new pair of headphones. I have narrowed down my search to 4 pairs.

- Superlux HD668B
- Panasonic HTF600

- Sony MDR-V6

- Audio Technica ATH-M30

I will be using these in two scenarios. Watching TV and movies in bed for a couple hours (so they need to be comfortable for long periods of time) and listening to rap music on my phone and laptop. They don't have to portable as they will rarely leave my room. As I said, rap is pretty much the only music that I will be listening to so keep that in mind. However, I don't want overpowering bass that takes over the song and becomes the focus of attention. Just for reference, I am currently using Sennheiser HD428s right now but feel like they are getting a little muddy and I think I can do better. 

Thank you for your help.

May 6, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #28,180 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys. I'm new to the forums and I am looking for a new pair of headphones. I have narrowed down my search to 4 pairs.

- Superlux HD668B
- Panasonic HTF600

- Sony MDR-V6

- Audio Technica ATH-M30

I will be using these in two scenarios. Watching TV and movies in bed for a couple hours (so they need to be comfortable for long periods of time) and listening to rap music on my phone and laptop. They don't have to portable as they will rarely leave my room. As I said, rap is pretty much the only music that I will be listening to so keep that in mind. However, I don't want overpowering bass that takes over the song and becomes the focus of attention. Just for reference, I am currently using Sennheiser HD428s right now but feel like they are getting a little muddy and I think I can do better. 

Thank you for your help.

Welcome. You have an open can and three closed cans in that list. What are your isolation needs? Do you have a set budget?

May 6, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #28,181 of 29,490
What is your budget?

€150,- ($200)

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

It doesn't matter what they are, they just shouldn't leak too much.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

I will be using them on my laptop with intergrated Realtek HD audio soundcard. No amp.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Pretty much anything from 128 kbps to 320 kbps CBR MP3.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
I do like a fun sound signature with good punchy, tight deep bass, but I do like a balanced sound. Neutral can be too boring for me. I'm looking for good clarity, detail, punchy tight deep bass, instrument separation, good soundstage and imaging and clear detailed vocals in general. I only listen to rap/hiphop and occasionally some dubstep.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?
I'll be using them at home in my bedroom, but occasionally I'll use them in my living room.

May 6, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #28,182 of 29,490
Thanks for responding. In regards to isolation, I don't need them to isolate well at all. As long as they don't let in tons of noise. Again, for reference, the HD428s do a good enough job for me isolation wise. And for the price, I don't want to spend more than $50. I'm  willing to get them used or refurbished from a reputable seller if that is necessary to stay under the budget. 

May 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #28,183 of 29,490
Which Sony studio cans did you buy and in what areas/ways are they not meeting your needs?

Thanks for the reply. I've searched and searched and I just can't seem to come up with a model number. They worked well for the hundred dollar ticket price. I'd love to buy them again but I can't figure out which model they were. I wanna say it was something like mdrv600 but I could be very wrong. Thanks again and in advance for any recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back