++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #28,201 of 29,490
Quote:
HELP!!!

I've been trying to get a nice set of head phones for awhile, and I nearly got suckered into buying to Beats By Dr. Dre Studio.  Thankfully, these forums saved me from that purchase.

I want a good set of phones for my iPhone 5.  I want over-the-ear, bass heavy, and stylish phones.  And I need them to have a mic in the cable so I can have calls through them, and also audio controls in the cable as well.  I'm planning to wear these to workout, and also for travel...so would noise cancellation be best, or does noise isolation do well also?

I was considering the VModa LP2 Crossfades, but I'm reading mixed reviews on them.  Would this be good?

Can anyone give me some recommendations please?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Based on portability, style, bass, and low drive requirement, V-Moda is where to look. The Crossfade LPs are awesome from my experience and the M-100's are their new flagship headphone that has the same body as the LPs. I would definitely look into the M-100's. I've been trying to convince myself NOT to buy them so that my wallet can have a break...

Either way, V-Moda does a LOT of work to make sure their headphones are pretty much bomb proof. Bend tests, drop tests, and even their cables are heavy duty. Durable, sexy, and bass heavy. What more do you need?

May 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #28,203 of 29,490
Quote:

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro with a secondary cable with a mic and controls in it?

If you didn't want the mic and audio controls, I'd say the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 Ohm).

Active Noise Cancellation adds white noise into the cups and has a negative (I've heard) effect on the sound quality.  You want noise isolation.

What is your budget?

Thanks for your reply!  My budget is $200 or less.

May 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #28,204 of 29,490
Quote:
Based on portability, style, bass, and low drive requirement, V-Moda is where to look. The Crossfade LPs are awesome from my experience and the M-100's are their new flagship headphone that has the same body as the LPs. I would definitely look into the M-100's. I've been trying to convince myself NOT to buy them so that my wallet can have a break...

Either way, V-Moda does a LOT of work to make sure their headphones are pretty much bomb proof. Bend tests, drop tests, and even their cables are heavy duty. Durable, sexy, and bass heavy. What more do you need?

Awesome!  Do the LP2s leak much at all though?  I don't want to piss off everyone near me on the plane.  The M-100s are just a bit too much for me:/

May 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #28,205 of 29,490
HELP!!!

I've been trying to get a nice set of head phones for awhile, and I nearly got suckered into buying to Beats By Dr. Dre Studio.  Thankfully, these forums saved me from that purchase.

I want a good set of phones for my iPhone 5.  I want over-the-ear, bass heavy, and stylish phones.  And I need them to have a mic in the cable so I can have calls through them, and also audio controls in the cable as well.  I'm planning to wear these to workout, and also for travel...so would noise cancellation be best, or does noise isolation do well also?

I was considering the VModa LP2 Crossfades, but I'm reading mixed reviews on them.  Would this be good?

Can anyone give me some recommendations please?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

The V-Moda headphones will be far superior in quality to the Beats. And with a proper seal on your head, they will give very good isolation.

May 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #28,206 of 29,490
Senniheiser HD600 or AKG K702 65th Anniversary??

I currently own a Sennheiser Momentum and a AKG K240s. I listen mainly to classical music.
I own the Momentum for travel, I like the K240s for its timbre for acoustic music, balance, and open sound, however its lacking some detail to me. I have heard the Q701 before and I think it sounds a huge improvement from K240s but lacking bass quantity. Would AKG K702 65th Anniversary (or AKG K712 coming up) be a good compensation? I am also considering Senniheiser HD600, but I am a little hesitated that it will sound like my Momentum with the 'veiled' sound or 'bold bass', or the HD600 sounds completely different comparing to Momentum?
And how's the soundstage and imaging compared in the two cans?
Thanks in advance!

May 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #28,208 of 29,490
I've read that these are very neutral and revealing, only with big bass. I think they might be too analytical and boring for me.

Then the DT770, available on Amazon UK for £125. Save up for an amp like the FiiO E11 to give them extra power.

May 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #28,210 of 29,490
Then the DT770, available on Amazon UK for £125. Save up for an amp like the FiiO E11 to give them extra power.

+1 if you don't like neutral on a bass heavy can. The DT770 is very noticeably V-shaped (listening wise - the FR curve doesn't show as dramatically as I hear it).

Yeah the frequency response curve doesn't reveal how v-shaped it sounds. It's the only headphone I've heard to say it has severely recessed mids.

May 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #28,211 of 29,490
So the mids are very recessed on my Sennheiser amperior headphones, especially in heavier songs, the treble muffles the midrange. I'm wondering if that would improve with burn in. I've probably already worn the headphones for over 24 hours. I have two headphone jacks on my computer and I listened to my two headphones in rapid succession and I couldn't hear vocals or guitars as well.

May 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #28,212 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Which Sony studio cans did you buy and in what areas/ways are they not meeting your needs?

Thanks for the reply. I've searched and searched and I just can't seem to come up with a model number. They worked well for the hundred dollar ticket price. I'd love to buy them again but I can't figure out which model they were. I wanna say it was something like mdrv600 but I could be very wrong. Thanks again and in advance for any recommendations.

The very good Sony MDR 7506 is going for only $80 something at Amazon.  The more efficient MDR 7510 goes for just a bit more.

May 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #28,213 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a mothers day present for my well, mother of course. I'm looing to spend roughly less than $125. 
She's into classical such as Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky etc, maybe some jazz in there too, as she is a professional pianist. She couldn't care much about the bass side of the spectrum as much as trebles and mids. My ideas are:

Grados SR80i
Grados SR60i
??

I already have a Fiio E6 which I would gladly give her second hand.  For $100 shipped off Amazon, the SR80i are a hard item to beat. 

Anyone else with suggestions?
Thanks!

It's my educated guess that the Grados present a sound signature that is too colored for your mother.  You didn't say anything about portablility or the length of the cable, so I'm assuming these factors do not matter.

A closed studio can, such as the Sony MDR 7506 or 7510 or the open Audia Technica ATH-AD 700 (+/- "X") are better choices.

May 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #28,214 of 29,490
Quote:
Senniheiser HD600 or AKG K702 65th Anniversary??

I currently own a Sennheiser Momentum and a AKG K240s. I listen mainly to classical music.
I own the Momentum for travel, I like the K240s for its timbre for acoustic music, balance, and open sound, however its lacking some detail to me. I have heard the Q701 before and I think it sounds a huge improvement from K240s but lacking bass quantity. Would AKG K702 65th Anniversary (or AKG K712 coming up) be a good compensation? I am also considering Senniheiser HD600, but I am a little hesitated that it will sound like my Momentum with the 'veiled' sound or 'bold bass', or the HD600 sounds completely different comparing to Momentum?
And how's the soundstage and imaging compared in the two cans?
Thanks in advance!

Either are a good choice.  However, if I had to select only one, it would be the HD 600, which is neutral & open and doesn't sound anything like the colored sound signature of the Momentum.

See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_HD600

May 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #28,215 of 29,490
Hi, 
I am about to spend some money on a headphone amp, DAC, and most likely a pair of HE-500s. Presently I own a pair of Grado SR -225is that I listen to through my receiver. I have a number of questions but the most pressing is whether the Maverick Audio A1 can power the HE-500s.  I am thinking of the A1 Amp and probably the D2 DAC as entry level purchases. Eventually I would like to buy the Bottlehead S.E. 2.1. My two reasons for wanting the A1 is to own an affordable tube headphone amp that can also power a small pair of speakers in my art studio.
I have also considered the Grado RS1is instead of the HE-500s, thinking it would be a good match with a warm sounding amp but I believe the HE-500s will be a better investment with the option to upgrade cables down the road, and since I already have the SR -225is, I thought a good pair of Orthos would be a great addition. 
I listen to mostly electronic music but also a fair amount of loud guitar music. Primary sources are lossless files through a MBP and a turntable.
Considering these variables, does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back