++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #28,216 of 29,490
Quote:
It's my educated guess that the Grados present a sound signature that is too colored for your mother.  You didn't say anything about portablility or the length of the cable, so I'm assuming these factors do not matter.

A closed studio can, such as the Sony MDR 7506 or 7510 or the open Audia Technica ATH-AD 700 (+/- "X") are better choices.

Probably should have mentioned that she has no priorities on open/closed, portability, cable type or supra/circumaurals. She'll normally be on her laptop in her bedroom, the family room or her piano room.  The AD 700 I've been looking into aswell. She thinks things like HFI-580's and ATH M50's are too big  (580's were my first real set of cans) which is also why I'm leaning more into the Grado's line as they're a bit smaller than circumaural phones and I can tell that she'd probably enjoy the retro-ish look more than a new, modern, studioesque set of cans. 

May 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #28,217 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
It's my educated guess that the Grados present a sound signature that is too colored for your mother.  You didn't say anything about portablility or the length of the cable, so I'm assuming these factors do not matter.

A closed studio can, such as the Sony MDR 7506 or 7510 or the open Audia Technica ATH-AD 700 (+/- "X") are better choices.

Probably should have mentioned that she has no priorities on open/closed, portability, cable type or supra/circumaurals. She'll normally be on her laptop in her bedroom, the family room or her piano room.  The AD 700 I've been looking into aswell. She thinks things like HFI-580's and ATH M50's are too big  (580's were my first real set of cans) which is also why I'm leaning more into the Grado's line as they're a bit smaller than circumaural phones and I can tell that she'd probably enjoy the retro-ish look more than a new, modern, studioesque set of cans. 

OK--but be aware that many find the Grados to be uncomfortable (I don't) and for open cans they have a very small sound stage--great for classic rock but not what you want for classical music.

The 580 and M50 are additionally wayyy to bass oriented and/or mids difficient for her needs.

May 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #28,218 of 29,490
Quote:
So the mids are very recessed on my Sennheiser amperior headphones, especially in heavier songs, the treble muffles the midrange. I'm wondering if that would improve with burn in. I've probably already worn the headphones for over 24 hours. I have two headphone jacks on my computer and I listened to my two headphones in rapid succession and I couldn't hear vocals or guitars as well.

From everything you've previously wrote and now this, you aren't a fan of the Amperior. Get new headphones.

May 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #28,220 of 29,490
Quote:
Senniheiser HD600 or AKG K702 65th Anniversary??

I currently own a Sennheiser Momentum and a AKG K240s. I listen mainly to classical music.
I own the Momentum for travel, I like the K240s for its timbre for acoustic music, balance, and open sound, however its lacking some detail to me. I have heard the Q701 before and I think it sounds a huge improvement from K240s but lacking bass quantity. Would AKG K702 65th Anniversary (or AKG K712 coming up) be a good compensation? I am also considering Senniheiser HD600, but I am a little hesitated that it will sound like my Momentum with the 'veiled' sound or 'bold bass', or the HD600 sounds completely different comparing to Momentum?
And how's the soundstage and imaging compared in the two cans?
Thanks in advance!

Although the entire signature of the Q701 warms up with the Annie, it's not as big of an improvement people make it out to be. If you really liked the Q701 and want just a little big more warmth, the Annie is a great way to go. In terms of the Senns, I find the Momentum and HD600 to sound very different. The Momentum is fairly warm and colored vs the HD600 which is a lot more neutral and way more open. I don't find the HD600 as bright and exciting as the Annie. I also find the soundstage and imaging to be larger and more detailed on the Annie.

Bottom line is both are a great can and you'll be happy with either.

May 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #28,221 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys. I'm new to the forums and I am looking for a new pair of headphones. I have narrowed down my search to 4 pairs.

- Superlux HD668B
- Panasonic HTF600

- Sony MDR-V6

- Audio Technica ATH-M30

I will be using these in two scenarios. Watching TV and movies in bed for a couple hours (so they need to be comfortable for long periods of time) and listening to rap music on my phone and laptop. They don't have to portable as they will rarely leave my room. As I said, rap is pretty much the only music that I will be listening to so keep that in mind. However, I don't want overpowering bass that takes over the song and becomes the focus of attention. Just for reference, I am currently using Sennheiser HD428s right now but feel like they are getting a little muddy and I think I can do better. 

Thank you for your help.

Quote:
Thanks for responding. In regards to isolation, I don't need them to isolate well at all. As long as they don't let in tons of noise. Again, for reference, the HD428s do a good enough job for me isolation wise. And for the price, I don't want to spend more than $50. I'm  willing to get them used or refurbished from a reputable seller if that is necessary to stay under the budget. 

Not sure what the norm is on this website in regards to bumping posts, so correct me if I'm doing anything wrong, but bump. 

May 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #28,222 of 29,490
Quote:

Not sure what the norm is on this website in regards to bumping posts, so correct me if I'm doing anything wrong, but bump. 

Bumping is a huge no-no. Excessive bumping will get you banned.
eek.gif

Just kidding.

With a budget of $50, your options are limited. I would recommend saving up to the $70 range, which would then include the Aurvana Live, K142HD/K240, Citiscape Uptowns...
I'm surprised that you think the HD428's are "a bit muddy" - I've read that they're on the bass-light side, which makes me hesitate when recommending this:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-STEEZ-SE-MJ751I-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B007TW93CI/
It's currently selling for $46.55 from Amazon Warehouse (like-new), and has a built-in bass equalizer so you can tone down the bass a bit if you think it's too much.

May 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #28,223 of 29,490
Bumping is a huge no-no. Excessive bumping will get you banned. :eek:

Just kidding.

With a budget of $50, your options are limited. I would recommend saving up to the $70 range, which would then include the Aurvana Live, K142HD/K240, Citiscape Uptowns...
I'm surprised that you think the HD428's are "a bit muddy" - I've read that they're on the bass-light side, which makes me hesitate when recommending this:
ir

It's currently selling for $46.55 from Amazon Warehouse (like-new), and has a built-in bass equalizer so you can tone down the bass a bit if you think it's too much.

$25 Refurb.

May 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #28,224 of 29,490
Hey guys I've been a lurker on these forums for a while and now have some spare cash to buy a decent pair of headphones ($200 range)

What I'll be using them for is mainly laptop/Ipod listening so I really would like to stay away from amps. Another note is that noise isolation or even cancellation if it doesn't hinder the sq to much is very important since I'll be using them for traveling and studying and don't want to hear the conversation next to me but I also don't want to blast my ears out.Also I listen to a wide variety of genres, classical, instrumental, rock, metal, and just about every electronic sub-genre as well if that helps in the recommendation. While I don't mind some extra bass in the sound, since I do listen to some bass heavy genres, I don't want the bass to completely take over the sound like some headphones do. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

May 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #28,225 of 29,490
Quote:

Bumping is a huge no-no. Excessive bumping will get you banned.
eek.gif

Just kidding.

Lol thanks for the help. Not really loving the look/style of the Pioneers. Also a little concerned over the amount of bass in them, but as you said, they do have a built in equalizer. Do you have any input about the headphones I listed in my first message as I found those to be reviewed the highest? 

May 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #28,226 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi! So, I'm super new here, like I literally just registered, and I'm no audiophile by a long shot. I've only been using really crappy $20 open headphones for the longest time, so I honestly don't know what to do now that I think it's time I pick up some good headphones. However. Even though I'd love to buy whatever you guys exactly think I should get, I have limited options. Y'see, the store of which I'd be buying my headphones has a pretty neat warranty policy where they cover physical and well, non physical damage for a total of two years, and they can replace your headphones for you for a total of two times. I'd love to be insured like that, and every other local store I've checked doesn't even cover physical damage, so that's why I'd want to buy my headphones from this store. The only problem is that they have limited stock, and here's of what it consists of - the Sony MDR V55 headphones, the Sennheiser HD 449, the Sennheiser HD 205 II, the Monster N Pulse, the Monster Inspiration, every bloody thing Beats, and the Parrot Zik Bluetooth. From those headphones, which do you think would be the best for my needs, when you consider that I'd be getting these headphones for home use producing electronic music primarily, such as your standard techno, house, electro house, dubstep, etc.? I'm looking for definitely more of a balanced and I think the term is neutral sound, so I can mix and master my music as accurately as possible. Also, if it's possible to buy the headphones without having to get an amp, that would be ideal, AND, an over the ear closed headphone would be more to my liking as opposed to an on the ear headphone, but I could deal with on if the headphones are that much more better. Thanks so much for any help at all, I'm totally stumped here considering my lack of knowledge regarding headphones. :)

Hehe, bump. :3

May 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #28,227 of 29,490
Any there any circumaural Sennheiser headphones suitable for trance etc.? How are the HD518, HD595 and HD558? Just looking for comfortable, well-built, good sounding headphones for my trance/dance, dubstep, pop music.

May 6, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #28,228 of 29,490
Quote:
Lol thanks for the help. Not really loving the look/style of the Pioneers. Also a little concerned over the amount of bass in them, but as you said, they do have a built in equalizer. Do you have any input about the headphones I listed in my first message as I found those to be reviewed the highest? 

Regarding your list, it's hard for me to gauge which one is best since I've only heard the Sony V6 - a very boring headphone, not good for rap.

I think the Superlux and Panasonic have a more musical presentation, but I've heard both good and bad things about them. Again, I can't comment here since I haven't heard either.

Some other <$50 headphones I have heard, are the Koss Pro DJ100 and the HARX900, and I highly recommend both. But IMO you won't find much improvement from the HD428 under $50 - the HD428 is already a highly-regarded budget-fi headphone to begin with.

May 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #28,230 of 29,490
Hi All
I have a dilemma that I'm hoping I could get some more feedback and opinions on.  I've been doing a lot of reading and I believe I'm at the point of either wanting to pick up the HE400 or the Mad Dogs (or possibly the T50RP and doing some mods myself...).

My situation:  I currently have the Matrix M-Stage, Music Streamer II, Q701 and HD25-1 II.  I will be picking up the Bifrost and Lyr to go with my new set up.  I will likely be hanging onto the M-Stage to have a SS amp and a Tube amp.  The MS2 will go to my bedside set up with my PA2v2 and HD25-1 II.  I may look to sell/trade my MS2 for an ODAC out of curiosity (if anyone may be interested...).

I listen to Metal and Industrial music and will be using them for music, movies and games (potentially, if they can compete with the Q701).  The HD25-1 are a good closed, portable headphones and I like them for music, etc.  The Q701 are nice too but I find them a bit boring for music (analytical may be the term most appropriate?).  They are amazing for gaming though and decent for movies.

I would like my next headphone to be more 'fun' though and a better bass.  You can hear the bass in the Q701's but there is no sense of impact or excitement - they are just a bit dull for music I found.

So based on my needs, I'm on the fence between the HE400 and Mad Dogs.  HE400 apparently are quite good for metal and movies and decent for games (have a sizeable soundstage...not quite as big as the Q's though).  Mad Dogs seem to be a good contender as well and are quite popular here.

Unfortunately I have no means to demo any of these so am at the mercy of you all :)

I've read that they both pair quite well with the Lyr and M-Stage, so that is covered.

I have no 'need' for a closed pair so am looking to get the best headphones for the price and to suit my needs.

I've read that the HE400 is a nice 'compliment' pair to have with the Q701's, which would be nice.  I have no issue buying the new pair and keeping the Q701's if they are a good match.  However, if one beats them in all ways, then I'll probably sell the Q's off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And I'd like to thank TekeRugburn for talking through some of this with me and giving me an unbiased opinion as well.  Very helpful.  He's starting to make me lean towards picking up the HE400's now and getting the T50RP's later and doing some modding myself...but not sure what is involved in doing that and if it can get close to an already modded Mad Dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back