++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 30, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #27,901 of 29,490
Quote:
Your request seems to be largely unfocused and in need of some research.  Questions about tech matters need to be raised in the sound science section of the forum.  I also suggest that you review the buying guys linked in the opening post of this thread.  That will help you to focus and define your questions--and may even lead you to an answer.

Thanks for your suggestion! I have taken time to read through some of the brand's reviews.

I am struggling with which to buy?

I am looking at:

Sony MDR-1
AKG HD 242 or 272
AKG 550
AKG 702
Seinnheiser HD600 & 650.

Anybody owe these pairs and can give some advice?

I use Seinn PX200 but its only running on 32 ohms which is pretty clear & loud but not as clear on the highs.
AKG seems to lack the punch in bass but pretty stable and clear?
AKG 272 lacks a bit of vocal clarity & loudness I sense.

Advice please??? I think I will take hours to try listening to the different headphones.
And yes I like soundstage...but it doesnt necessarily have to be surround.
Just loud & exact recording & high impedance with max power output will be good!

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #27,902 of 29,490
Quote:
Maybe you should check the bit rate of your mp3 files, the standard (default setting) bit rate of mainstream management software (itunes, windows media player etc) when ripping is 128kbps (or the last time I checked/used them). If you used to listening to CD, mp3 128kbps most probably sounded like trash.
Try reading about Sennheiser Amperior or Sennheiser Momentum or Sony MDR 1R. Momentum and 1R had this stylish look with good sound, while Amperior looks more military.
I don't know about other headphone, as I never trying them.

Try Sennheiser PX100 II (open) or PX200 II (closed). Mind the "II", it means the second generation. I tried both and found them very good for the price.

I have Sennheiser PX200 II...good enough for the price but not stable in the vocal clarity throughout.
Ive read up on Amperior & Momentum but seems like they are more for portable use ,not studio use or high impedance.
Not too sure about Sony MDR 1R.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #27,903 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Your request seems to be largely unfocused and in need of some research.  Questions about tech matters need to be raised in the sound science section of the forum.  I also suggest that you review the buying guys linked in the opening post of this thread.  That will help you to focus and define your questions--and may even lead you to an answer.

Thanks for your suggestion! I have taken time to read through some of the brand's reviews.

I am struggling with which to buy?

I am looking at:

Sony MDR-1
AKG HD 242 or 272
AKG 550
AKG 702
Seinnheiser HD600 & 650.

Anybody owe these pairs and can give some advice?

I use Seinn PX200 but its only running on 32 ohms which is pretty clear & loud but not as clear on the highs.
AKG seems to lack the punch in bass but pretty stable and clear?
AKG 272 lacks a bit of vocal clarity & loudness I sense.

Advice please??? I think I will take hours to try listening to the different headphones.
And yes I like soundstage...but it doesnt necessarily have to be surround.
Just loud & exact recording & high impedance with max power output will be good!

The HD 600 (neutral bass) & 650 (mid bass hump) are the best cans on your list.  However, they are both well above your budget and are 300 Ohms and have about 100 dB sensitity rated open cans.  They both need an amp. 

If they aren't for you, then look to the AKG Q 701, which although more efficient, also needs an amp.  With the Q 701 expect less bass than either Senn, but a touch more than the K 702.  It will give you the biggest sound stage.

The K 550 is porbably the best choice from hour list without an amp--especially if you want something in the neutral-ish neighborhood.  It is closed.  So it won't give you the sound stage of an open or semi-open can--and even they will not provide surround sound.  Headphones just don't do that.

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #27,904 of 29,490
Hey I've been a silent reader on these forums and am looking for some help as I'm far too confused at this point!

I'm looking for a set of headphones within the $300-400 range.  I have a marantz pm5003, which I'm pretty sure I can use as an amp at home, but I'd need something portable that hopefully would be included in that budget that would work well with my iPod/iPhone.

In terms of how/where I'd be using the headphones, I will use them more on-the-go while on the train, walking to class etc, etc.  That being said I'll also want something great for home listening, particularly for vinyl through my pm5003.

I've had Bose QC3s, QC15s, and a set of Beats Studios, hated the Beats liked the Bose stuff, but still haven't found "the set".  I listen to a pretty diverse set of music from The Beatles, to Metallica, to Radiohead, to Bhangra music, to Daft Punk, to acoustic John Mayer, etc.  Definitely more rock orientated, but I'd like a set that can handle a wide variety of music...this was the main problem with the headphones I've previously owned.  A good soundstage is also important.

Thus far, I've gone to some local stores here and got some advice.  I was told a closed pair of headphones would be better if I'm not listening at my house.  Of the headphones I've tried so far (B&W P5, PSB M4U2, Grado 2/325i) I liked the Denon AH-D1100, but wasn't completely sold because they felt a little flimsy to me.  It should also be noted that I tried the Grado headphones without an amp and I felt they needed to be driven, so perhaps I should try them again?  The guy at the store I went to said he'd only recommend them for home listening.

Clearly, I still have a lot to learn and try...I've read great things about the Mad Dog headphones and am considering those combined with a DAC and Amp (I've heard the Schiit ones pair well), but alas I can't test any of that stuff before I buy it.  Others I've read good things about are the V-Moda M-100 and Sennheiser HD 598..but I'm really open to anything, any thoughts?  Would really appreciate some suggestions, thanks guys!

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #27,906 of 29,490
Hey guys,

After consideration in my previous posts (budget and brand wise) I decided to go for the Audio Technica headphones. As I explained I can't get the much appreciated AD700 because in Bulgaria they cost 250 USD. So, I am between the below models:

ATH-M30
ATH-T500
ATH-AD300

They have 10-20 dollars difference in the price over here. the AD300 being the most expensive. Nevertheless, I am leaning more towards them although they have been discontinued. Althought the M30s have the cool 3.5mm jack with metal before it and a protective wrap around the cord which i find useful. I know that there are not many people around here with these models but I would be grateful for a tip or two regarding which one to choose. I would like to try an open-backed can as I would like to get a little bit of soundstage, since I will be using them for gaming (mainly) and music (not that much since I listen from my speakers more).

As mentioned before I use a DIY headphone amp/dac connected to the PC via USB. I listen to FLAC and 320Kbps.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #27,907 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on which full size open circumaural headphones to buy. I mainly listen to classical music, and the headphones should sound good with acoustic instruments like the harpsichord, violin etc. My budget is around £300 - £350, so I'm currently looking at the Sennheiser HD-600s and the Beyerdynamics DT-880 600ohm. I'll be using the headphones with an Epiphany EHP-02D DAC/Amp http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #27,908 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

After consideration in my previous posts (budget and brand wise) I decided to go for the Audio Technica headphones. As I explained I can't get the much appreciated AD700 because in Bulgaria they cost 250 USD. So, I am between the below models:

ATH-M30
ATH-T500
ATH-AD300

They have 10-20 dollars difference in the price over here. the AD300 being the most expensive. Nevertheless, I am leaning more towards them although they have been discontinued. I know that there are not many people around here with these models but I would be grateful for a tip or two regarding which one to choose. I would like to try an open-backed can as I would like to get a little bit of soundstage, since I will be using them for gaming (mainly) and music (not that much since I listen from my speakers more).

As mentioned before I use a DIY headphone amp/dac connected to the PC via USB. I listen to FLAC and 320Kbps.

Thanks in advance.

If you haven't ever worn  a pair of the ATH's with the wings, I would be a little cautious. That being said, only the AD300's have the wings. The only reason I mention this is because I have the A900X and the wings, while comfortable, do not hold the headphone in place at all. Very awkward to say the least. As far as sound goes, I haven't tried any of those headphones...

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on which full size open circumaural headphones to buy. I mainly listen to classical music, and the headphones should sound good with acoustic instruments like the harpsichord, violin etc. My budget is around £300 - £350, so I'm currently looking at the Sennheiser HD-600s and the Beyerdynamics DT-880 600ohm. I'll be using the headphones with an Epiphany EHP-02D DAC/Amp http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/

Recommendations would be appreciated.

I would recommend the HD600's. Though I haven't tried the DT880's, I have seen many mixed reviews on them. The HD600's sound awesome and the only negative reviews I've seen have been regarding the nonexistent "veil". Needless to say, you picked two really good headphones to choose from for your listening interests, I'm sure they would both suit you great.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #27,909 of 29,490
Quote:
I would recommend the HD600's. Though I haven't tried the DT880's, I have seen many mixed reviews on them. The HD600's sound awesome and the only negative reviews I've seen have been regarding the nonexistent "veil". Needless to say, you picked two really good headphones to choose from for your listening interests, I'm sure they would both suit you great.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll probably go for the Senns.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #27,910 of 29,490
Hi all,

I'm a newbie from the other side of the world - a European hailing from Malta, right in the centre of the Mediterranean Sea.

First of all, a very well done to everyone here.. I've been reading your contributions for hours, and it's amazing how you're ready to share your wealth of information!! - Keep it up!! 
biggrin.gif

Now, I would seriously appreciate some help on an issue that I've been trying to solve for days.

Basically I bought this new micro-system - Denon RCD-M39DAB.  I bought it mainly because it has DAB (recently launched in Malta), has 'equalizer' (-/+10 Treble and Bass), and because it fit my budget.

I'm using a pair of Sony MDR-XD200, and was considering improving the setup by buying a Fiio e6 amp with the Denon. But are these amps more aimed to use with small mp3 players or would it still make a significant difference with a micro system?

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #27,911 of 29,490
Looking for some open back headphones that are good for acoustic and blues music but also very good for movies. I'd love a big soundstage. Considering the HD558's at the moment and thinking about doing the foam mod. No places where i can test out headphones near me so I can only go on what you guys say. Price range from $100-$200 and needs to be able to be shipped to australia.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #27,912 of 29,490
Looking for some open back headphones that are good for acoustic and blues music but also very good for movies. I'd love a big soundstage. Considering the HD558's at the moment and thinking about doing the foam mod. No places where i can test out headphones near me so I can only go on what you guys say. Price range from $100-$200 and needs to be able to be shipped to australia.

The HD558 are said to have amazing soundstage for the price, but they are missing alot of detail. Try to get Grados, SR60 , SR80, SR125 and SR225 ! They all have a different sound, but they similar :)

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #27,913 of 29,490
Really in need of help now.

I'm trying to find the best headphone for me (under $300)

Stuck between these:
1. ATH-AD900X
2. Beyerdynamic DT880
3. V-Moda M-100
4. AKG Q701

Which one of those has the most detail and clarity? And the best 'bang for your buck' ?

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #27,914 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

If you haven't ever worn  a pair of the ATH's with the wings, I would be a little cautious. That being said, only the AD300's have the wings. The only reason I mention this is because I have the A900X and the wings, while comfortable, do not hold the headphone in place at all. Very awkward to say the least. As far as sound goes, I haven't tried any of those headphones...

Yes, I read that about the AD700. In fact even for people with larger heads, they still would not fit and often fall. Although, I read somewhere that the AD300 have way more grip on the head comparing to the AD700. But, maybe this won't be enough since I have a small head (or at least that's what they say :)) There is no way to test them. The shop I will buy them from is in the other part of the country (meaning online only), so I will see if anyone else has some recommendations and maybe go for the M30.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #27,915 of 29,490
Quote:
Really in need of help now.

I'm trying to find the best headphone for me (under $300)

Stuck between these:
1. ATH-AD900X
2. Beyerdynamic DT880
3. V-Moda M-100
4. AKG Q701

Which one of those has the most detail and clarity? And the best 'bang for your buck' ?

Except for the first two (I don't know much about the AD900X), these headphones are all pretty different. DT880's are open and considered neutral, M-100's are closed and considered basshead cans, and the Q701 is open and bright. What are you using them for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back