++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #27,676 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm looking forward to ordering a pair of igrado's soon, but I've noticed that a number of models of grado's are getting absolutely hammered in reviews because of a lack of comfort, and the models often singled out are the two I'm most interested in: the 60i's and igrado's. 

I can't offer up a recommendation at this point, but I wanted to thank you for some honest feedback about the headphones you've tried already. 

I wouldn't say they are UNcomfortable, just not over ear (they are on ear) and I didn't like that. Didn't like the cheap looking sponge pads either. But they do sound good (albeit quite energetic!).

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #27,679 of 29,490
I just heard the Fostex TH7B and they were mega comfy and had a nice warm tone :) No mic thought. But you could buy a seperate mic maybe? Because they are 60 on amazon and mics are around 20-30 !

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #27,681 of 29,490
Quote:
Akg K167 sounds good for you! It will be comfy for 2-3 hours until you'll feel something
smily_headphones1.gif

I want something I can listen to for hours without discomfort.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #27,683 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't see this thread stickied... so...

I'm looking for recommendations or options for closed headphones with the most, if not all, of the following criteria:

- Closed
- Around the ear
- Strongly prefer velour or real leather or fabric earpads (and headband). No pleather; it flakes.
- Good for low to moderate volume listening.

Not so important but would still like it to have:
- A balanced sound (bass, midrange, treble).
- Detailed sound

- Budget is less than $300.

I have the Beyerdynamic DT770-80. My only complaints are the pleather headband and the bass doesn't go well with all genres of music.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Mainly from Xonar DG sound card. No amp.

File format is irrelevant. All kinds of genres of music and some games.

Not outside.

Ultrasone PRO-750 have velour earpads and are very detailed, even at low volumes. They also have very controlled bass, punchy and tight without encroaching on the mids and higs. Mids are slightly recessed, and the treble can be a little spiky depending on your source, but they sound very open for closed cans. They're also built like a tank, for what it's worth.

I'm still kicking myself for selling mine.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #27,684 of 29,490
reposting to see if anyone is willing to help

could anybody give me some possible choices on a pair of headphones that go well in the areas:

-comfort
-soundstage (prefer closed though)
-maximum price of £150 ($228)
-good detail for music such as pop/r&b/dance

i have been moved away from the ATH-M50 for now..as i heard they aren't great for midrange which i think is important for pop music and bad soundstage+bad comfort..

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #27,685 of 29,490
Quote:
reposting to see if anyone is willing to help

could anybody give me some possible choices on a pair of headphones that go well in the areas:

-comfort
-soundstage (prefer closed though)
-maximum price of £150 ($228)
-good detail for music such as pop/r&b/dance

i have been moved away from the ATH-M50 for now..as i heard they aren't great for midrange which i think is important for pop music and bad soundstage+bad comfort..

I would say that the ATH-A900X would meet all your qualifications except that I don't prefer them for the genres you mentioned (I would like a bassier headphone for those genres). The soundstage is amazing on these for a closed phone. The large angled drivers bounce sound all around the inside of the can and, in doing so, produce some serious imaging. Also, buydig has been selling these for great deals on-and-off. I got them for $129 a month ago and they recycled that deal two days ago. These headphones are also very comfortable (once you get them in place) but they move fairly easily on your head (not for headbanging). Now, I would recommend the DT770's next based on the comfort, price, music choice, and a very acceptable soundstage (but nothing like the A900X's).

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #27,686 of 29,490
Quote:
I would say that the ATH-A900X would meet all your qualifications except that I don't prefer them for the genres you mentioned (I would like a bassier headphone for those genres). The soundstage is amazing on these for a closed phone. The large angled drivers bounce sound all around the inside of the can and, in doing so, produce some serious imaging. Also, buydig has been selling these for great deals on-and-off. I got them for $129 a month ago and they recycled that deal two days ago. These headphones are also very comfortable (once you get them in place) but they move fairly easily on your head (not for headbanging). Now, I would recommend the DT770's next based on the comfort, price, music choice, and a very acceptable soundstage (but nothing like the A900X's).

you would recommend a headphone with more bass? :xf_eek: i didnt think pop was bass orientated at all like i knew hip-hop mostly had quite a bit of bass but r&b+pop? if this is true i might reconsider headphone choices. i'll look into ath a900x! but i do want some good cans with good quality vocals though 

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #27,687 of 29,490
Quote:
you would recommend a headphone with more bass? :xf_eek: i didnt think pop was bass orientated at all like i knew hip-hop mostly had quite a bit of bass but r&b+pop? if this is true i might reconsider headphone choices. i'll look into ath a900x! but i do want some good cans with good quality vocals though 

The vocals on the A900X's are amazing. Really, the only beef I have with that set of cans is the lack of bass (I looooooove EDM which on head-fi means I'm a basshead) and they fit kinda strangely with the wings. That being said though, I can wear them for hours with no issue since the weight is distributed over both wings instead of a single point on the top of your head. Modern pop music has a lot of bass (IMO) and some R&B does as well, but the DT770's are not necessarily bass heavy, they just HAVE bass where the A900X really don't. I'm sure plenty of people would disagree with me and say the DT770's are major basshead cans, but I think there is a difference between having bass extension and being "basshead" worthy.

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #27,688 of 29,490
I want to but a headphone for maximum $80 (€60,00) that has good clarity, detail, instrument separation, is well balanced, has good deep tight bass and has good clear vocals. Is the Creative Aurvana Live! a good choise?

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #27,689 of 29,490
I was wondering if I could get some advice\ recommendations as this will be pretty much my first pair of high end headphones. I do own a Sennheiser HD 212Pro that I bought many years ago though the cords broke on me, and I haven't bothered fixing them because I rather just upgrade to a new pair, also vocals sort of sound really murky.

Things that would be a must are;
- good isolation, closed back, I'll be using it mainly on public transport
- portable, don't particularly want to get an amp
- and comfort, I guess

I listen to a whole range of genre, though mostly acoustic and bass-heavy songs, so being a beginner, I'm finding it sort of difficult to figure out what's what when my preferences are on both sides of the spectrum.
I live in Australia and have a budget of ~$300
I've been able to briefly test some headphones, and liked three of them ATH-M50s (~$150), Beyer T70p($439-$479) and AKG K550($319). I enjoyed the T70ps the most, because it had the bass and clarity, but I would prefer to look around more first because it's way out of my budget, K550 sounded the best with my acoustic songs but was really lacking bass and M50s were good overall, but I found that it was lacking this clarity in instrumentals.. ? And for a lack of a better description, too balanced? I thought it sounded kind of plain, and that that was pulling the clarity away.

I tested those headphones with an iPod, but I'm going to get a Cowon next week. I did realise I can play with the equaliser, but when I mentioned that to the shopkeeper (of my local headphones store), he had this "Oh.. yeah.. I guess you could do that too..." sort of expression..
As you can tell, I don't know what I'm doing . I don't know anybody who would even think twice about their earphones, so I thought I'd turn to you all.

I think my question really is, is there something I can get that has a similiar sound to the Beyer but at a lower price (probably not right?), what do you think of using an equaliser to possibly make up for what a particular pair of headphones are lacking, or any other headphones I should probably try out first?

A reference for how the prices are in Aus http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/

Thank you!

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #27,690 of 29,490
Quote:

I think my question really is, is there something I can get that has a similiar sound to the Beyer but at a lower price (probably not right?), what do you think of using an equaliser to possibly make up for what a particular pair of headphones are lacking, or any other headphones I should probably try out first?

A reference for how the prices are in Aus http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/

Thank you!

Check out the M-Audio Q40's. These cans are way too under the radar. Bass that will rattle your brain but with mids that are extremely clear. I've never listened to the Beyer's you mention but I've never listened to bass heavy phones that didn't muddle out the mids EXCEPT the Q40's.  The clarity on the mids is fantastic. Read some reviews on them, but you can get them new for $89 on B&H. I would also recommend buying DT770 pads for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back