++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #27,663 of 29,490
Suggest me headphones under $120 that have great sound clarity and seperation and great bass. I listen to EDM, so it would be great if it is a good all arounder for EDM. I also want it to be a good step-up from the Crossfade LPs.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #27,664 of 29,490
Budget - £150 GBP ($230 USD)
Source - Computer with Asus Xonar DG sound card
Isolation - Prefer sound not to leak much if possible
Type - Full-size circumaural headphones
Genres - Dance, trance, dubstep, rock, pop
Uses - 80% music, 20% games (FPS, RTS)
Priorities (Highest to lowest) - Sound/comfort, isolation, portability
Previously tried - Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 (Slightly clampy and sounded distant but earcups are most comfortable I've ever tried) & M-Audio Q40 (Less distant sounding than DT770s but clamp was awful for me even after stretching)

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #27,665 of 29,490
Budget - £150 GBP ($230 USD)

Source - Computer with Asus Xonar DG sound card

Isolation - Prefer sound not to leak much if possible

Type - Full-size circumaural headphones

Genres - Dance, trance, dubstep, rock, pop

Uses - 80% music, 20% games (FPS, RTS)

Priorities (Highest to lowest) - Sound/comfort, isolation, portability

Previously tried - Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 (Slightly clampy and sounded distant but earcups are most comfortable I've ever tried) & M-Audio Q40 (Less distant sounding than DT770s but clamp was awful for me even after stretching)

Akg K167 sounds good for you! It will be comfy for 2-3 hours until you'll feel something :)

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #27,667 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the reply TwinQY.  The vagueness of my question is actually quite intentional. Yet I do see your point in the need to provide a better description of what I am looking for.  So I will give it a shot.

Budget: Less than $450 USD
Current Equipment: Macbook Pro, iPhone 4s and fiio E6.  Though I will probably look to upgrade my amp in the coming months something $150USD or below probably. (Open to suggestions)
Open/Closed: Probably Open as I will be using them mostly at home but if there is a closed headphone that sounds great (and not too small of a soundstage) then I am open to that as well.
Preferences: I'm really looking for a good all-rounder I think.  I like clarity but not if it will completely sacrifice in the bass department and vice versa.  I would like something that can handle pretty well any genre I throw at it as I listen to a great variety of genres depending on my mood.  Warm or Bright does not matter.
Music: Varies but mostly Rock, Alternative, & EDM
Various: Comfort is always a plus but not at the sacrifice of sound quality.  I have a small to average sized head if that makes a difference.
Size: Looking for Full-sized over the ear headphones

I've been looking at Senn HD 600, Mad Dogs, and hifiman he-400 but if there are other's out there that will do the job better I would love to find out.  Thanks again.

I sort of understood the reasoning but again, it seems counterintuitive in a sense to ask for suggestions when it's going to be so open-ended. Sorry though, not a slight on you and forgive me for the partly aggressive tone.

Clarity, bass, all-rounder (in this context it's more clear) - the HE-400s, however dynamic and pleasant, can't really do all genres equally for the most part due to the tonality. Would definitely stick to looking at the HD600s in this case. Not much in terms of amping (could probably get a cheapo O2 or something of the likes), it's actually rather pleasant for rock and alt, perhaps not enough aggression for EDM which is where I might give it to the HE-400 by a bit.

But since you mention comfort, would have to say that the HD600s clamp hard but the pads are soft enough that it doesn't get too grating - the headband is rather unflexible but in the long run not too awful. The weight and clamp combined on the HE-400s make it rather unsuited long term. Keep in mind that my reference point is a long-worn pair of HD580s so can safely say that the clamp does disappear after the pads conform. So would definitely give the edge in comfort to the Senns,.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #27,668 of 29,490
Hey,
I got around 100 bucks budget with 110 being the top, and I am looking for a headset. Now I know headsets tend to be ****ty as something, but I was thinking about getting Sennheiser PC 330. What do you think? Can you recommend it or something else? I heard the 330s can be very uncomfortable.

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #27,669 of 29,490
Hi all, need some serious help here...

Some may remember an old thread of mine with the voting between 4x cans and which will I choose etc? Ok, so here's the situation and the issue in a medium sized nutshell...

Looking for Closed Back (was not before, but now fairly important) Over Ears. Must be comfortable. Good Bass, deep if possible but like the punchy upper Bass area. Good rythmic mid-range with an open expressive clear sound.

Tried and rejected: Grado SR80i: Very very musical and exciting, but not the style, comfort. Vey leaky sound.
Tried and rejected: Beyer 880 (600ohms): Supremely comfortable but the mid-range and sense of 'drive' and fun just wasn't there. Soooooo comfy though.
Tried and rejected: Sennhieser HD598: Again, very comfy, but they are (and I'm sorry to those 598 fans) a bit dull?
Tried and rejected: Soundmagic HP100: Quite comfy, not a bad pair of cans and great value, but side by side with some others, they just didn't quite have the punch and life I wanted.
Tried and rejected: Philips Fideo X1: Magical sound and pretty comfy. Very musical and nice and open, but alas the sound leakage proved too much in the end. Nice though!
Tried and liked but going to reject: Sony MDR1-r Silver: Now, these are very comfy (almost disappear on your head), very good mid-range, and I would keep these if not for sibilance at the top end. once you notice it, it drives you mad. It could also do with a bit of extension at the lower end.
Tried and like but going to reject: AT ATH-A500X: Now, these have pretty much the sound I want. A tad more punch in the upper Bass would be nice, a tad more forward in the mid range would be nice, but for closed backs, they are very open sounding, quite musical and pretty balanced. Certainly not the be-all-end-all and certainy not 'that' great, but for the money, not bad at all. the down side is they are just so damn uncomfortable....

So, where to next? A closed back, over ear up to £250 (~$350)?

I'm beginning to think there's no answer?

Driven by Fiio E17 by the way.

Music: Very wide range but main catagories. Dance/Trance/Pop (Underworld/Freemasons/M.Jackson/Pop-Dance) where punchy rythmic Bass is better than super-deep Bass sometimes, Rock (Rush/Led Zep/Pink Floyd/AC DC) where a tiny tad of control in the top-end is needed, Orchestral Film Scores (John Williams/Danny Elfman/James Horner/Hans Zimmer) where deep bass and the wide open sounstage is nice... Also for watching films late night (usually action/sci-fi big sound big effects, vocals)....

So need to be a bit of an all-rounder, slightly biased towards Bass but retaining mid-range drive and excitement, comfy as you like!

Help please...
confused.gif
  oh, and if anyone has a pair of Denon 5k's or 7k's for sale at that price (lol) as something tells me they might have been a solution?

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #27,670 of 29,490

Some may remember an old thread of mine with the voting between 4x cans and which will I choose etc? Ok, so here's the situation and the issue in a medium sized nutshell...

Looking for Closed Back (was not before, but now fairly important) Over Ears. Must be comfortable. Good Bass, deep if possible but like the punchy upper Bass area. Good rythmic mid-range with an open expressive clear sound.

Tried and rejected: Grado SR80i: Very very musical and exciting, but not the style, comfort. Vey leaky sound.
Tried and rejected: Beyer 880 (600ohms): Supremely comfortable but the mid-range and sense of 'drive' and fun just wasn't there. Soooooo comfy though.
Tried and rejected: Sennhieser HD598: Again, very comfy, but they are (and I'm sorry to those 598 fans) a bit dull?
Tried and rejected: Soundmagic HP100: Quite comfy, not a bad pair of cans and great value, but side by side with some others, they just didn't quite have the punch and life I wanted.
Tried and rejected: Philips Fideo X1: Magical sound and pretty comfy. Very musical and nice and open, but alas the sound leakage proved too much in the end. Nice though!
Tried and liked but going to reject: Sony MDR1-r Silver: Now, these are very comfy (almost disappear on your head), very good mid-range, and I would keep these if not for sibilance at the top end. once you notice it, it drives you mad. It could also do with a bit of extension at the lower end.
Tried and like but going to reject: AT ATH-A500X: Now, these have pretty much the sound I want. A tad more punch in the upper Bass would be nice, a tad more forward in the mid range would be nice, but for closed backs, they are very open sounding, quite musical and pretty balanced. Certainly not the be-all-end-all and certainy not 'that' great, but for the money, not bad at all. the down side is they are just so damn uncomfortable....

Music: Very wide range but main catagories. Dance/Trance/Pop (Underworld/Freemasons/M.Jackson/Pop-Dance) where punchy rythmic Bass is better than super-deep Bass sometimes, Rock (Rush/Led Zep/Pink Floyd/AC DC) where a tiny tad of control in the top-end is needed, Orchestral Film Scores (John Williams/Danny Elfman/James Horner/Hans Zimmer) where deep bass and the wide open sounstage is nice... Also for watching films late night (usually action/sci-fi big sound big effects, vocals)....

So need to be a bit of an all-rounder, slightly biased towards Bass but retaining mid-range drive and excitement, comfy as you like!

Help please... :confused:   oh, and if anyone has a pair of Denon 5k's or 7k's for sale at that price (lol) as something tells me they might have been a solution?

I'd definitely recommend trying to snag a pair of second hand D5000's or D7000's based on what you've said. They're very fun and have awesome bass.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #27,671 of 29,490
Quote:
I'd definitely recommend trying to snag a pair of second hand D5000's or D7000's based on what you've said. They're very fun and have awesome bass.

I tend to agree that they might well be 'the ones' to try and get. I love their looks too.

As I type, E-bay UK has No 5ks for sale and two pairs of 7k's at £600 BIN or £359 with 4 days to go...

So, alas, I think they're going to be out of price range.
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #27,672 of 29,490
I tend to agree that they might well be 'the ones' to try and get. I love their looks too.

As I type, E-bay UK has No 5ks for sale and two pairs of 7k's at £600 BIN or £359 with 4 days to go...

So, alas, I think they're going to be out of price range. :frowning2:

Maybe you should consider a pair of D2000's? You might be lucky enough to find a used pair of D5000's on here for $350 but then you'd have to factor in shipping.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #27,673 of 29,490
Quote:

Help please...
confused.gif
  oh, and if anyone has a pair of Denon 5k's or 7k's for sale at that price (lol) as something tells me they might have been a solution?

I'm looking forward to ordering a pair of igrado's soon, but I've noticed that a number of models of grado's are getting absolutely hammered in reviews because of a lack of comfort, and the models often singled out are the two I'm most interested in: the 60i's and igrado's. 

I can't offer up a recommendation at this point, but I wanted to thank you for some honest feedback about the headphones you've tried already. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #27,674 of 29,490
Okay so i'm between these cans now, Beyer DT990, DT880, AKG K702, HD650 and was wondering what would be better for Rock/Metal and which one has the largest soundstage, thanks again. Since i'll be listening to music in my room i'll get a semi-open/open and later a closed-back or IEM for travelling. ;]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back