++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #27,631 of 29,490
Budget - Less than $600
Preferences - Bass. Anything similar to HFI 580's. Open ear/closed ear doesn't matter.
Source - HiFiMan 601, 320k, 256 AAC and FLAC, and MSI GT70 (not sure what soundcard it has on it), Fiio E11, maybe upgrading my amp soon.
Music type - Electronica, dubstep, brostep, classical, etc.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #27,634 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I'm looking to venture in to the realm of Full-Size Cans.  I have been exploring iem's for the last couple of years and have gradually worked my way up the ladder.  Currently I have a Westone 4 and am looking for a headphone that can best it or at least equal it in sound quality.  I can spend up to $450 or so but I would prefer to spend less.  As far as sound signature I am not picky.  In fact I like to try different sound signatures and I listen to a great variety of music genres.

In summary:
Budget: <$450
Sound Signature: Any
Sound Quality ≥Westone 4
Full-Sized Headphone

Thanks everyone

Regarding the Westone thing - it's very much relative since the paradigm shift/difference in presentation is staggering enough to render most comparisons rather limited. In terms of SQ, what specific characteristic/technical area would you be focused on the most? And since you've stated that you want a different signature anyways, using the W4s as reference for anything else would be rather pointless anyways.

You've also not given much else to go by - are they going to be closed or open, will you set up a home rig with them, would you have any preference in regards to something qualitative that's not about sound (comfort, build, etc)?

The vagueness of the question leaves much to be desired, and people would pretty likely end up just throwing arbitrary recommendations you can pretty much gather anywhere else, since they have pretty much nothing to go by. What point is there in asking a specific question when you give rather little specifics?

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #27,635 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget - Less than $600
Preferences - Bass. Anything similar to HFI 580's. Open ear/closed ear doesn't matter.
Source - HiFiMan 601, 320k, 256 AAC and FLAC, and MSI GT70 (not sure what soundcard it has on it), Fiio E11, maybe upgrading my amp soon.
Music type - Electronica, dubstep, brostep, classical, etc.

Look at Denon AH-600. My friend loves it for rap and electronica.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #27,637 of 29,490
Still looking for a portable pair for my commute. They need to fold up to fit in my bag, and preferably have a detachable cable. I'll be running them unamped from my phone. I mostly listen to indie rock, with some electronic pop and acoustic stuff thrown in.

I listened to a pair of Logitech UE6000 and liked them, but they felt a little flimsy, ditto for the Skullcandy Aviators (okay, those felt A LOT flimsy). I've ruled out the ATH-M50 because of the ridiculously long, non-removable cable, so right now I'm looking at the Ultrasone PRO 550. Do they sound okay unamped? Is there any other obvious choice I'm missing in the sub-300 range in missing out on that folds up and has a detachable cable? I could live without a removable cable if they were great otherwise. The only must is that they be circumaural.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #27,638 of 29,490
Still looking for a portable pair for my commute. They need to fold up to fit in my bag, and preferably have a detachable cable. I'll be running them unamped from my phone. I mostly listen to indie rock, with some electronic pop and acoustic stuff thrown in.

I listened to a pair of Logitech UE6000 and liked them, but they felt a little flimsy, ditto for the Skullcandy Aviators (okay those felt A LOT flimsy). I've ruled out the ATH-M50 because of the ridiculously long, non-removable cable, so right now I'm looking at the Ultrasone PRO 550. Do they sound okay unamped? Is there any other obvious choice in the sub-300 range in missing out on that folds up and has a detachable cable?

The PRO900 you can get for 215 from a fellow head-fier , they are perfect and ill tell you his name in a sec :)

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #27,639 of 29,490

I listened to a pair of Logitech UE6000 and liked them, but they felt a little flimsy, ditto for the Skullcandy Aviators (okay those felt A LOT flimsy). I've ruled out the ATH-M50 because of the ridiculously long, non-removable cable, so right now I'm looking at the Ultrasone PRO 550. Do they sound okay unamped? Is there any other obvious choice in the sub-300 range in missing out on that folds up and has a detachable cable?

His name is Lazbro123 and he will sell them for 215 with shipping! ! :O

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #27,642 of 29,490
Quote:
Do NOT waste your time with the AKG K550s. I had them and was sorely disappointed. I currently have the DT770s and they're great. I recommending going with the higher resistance models (250 ohms), but you will absolutely need an amp to drive them.

If you go with a model with less resistance, you won't need an amp, but I don't recommend that route if you can afford to buy an amp. 

I have the FiiO E07K Andes DAC amp and it works great with the DT770 pros. They really fun for kick drums and snare and such. If you're listening to a lot of guitar-driven music (rock or metal), you might actually prefer the Ultrasone PRO 750s. Guitar is more front-and-center with those. 

I have both of the cans referenced above, so all of that is based on experience. The only other thing I'd say about the Ultrasones is that I prefer using the earpads from the PRO 900 model - they mellow out the highs a bit.

What didn't you like about the AKG K550? I am more curious about the soundstage comparison between it and the DT 770.

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #27,644 of 29,490
GradoLabs  SR325i VS Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium VS Sennheiser HD650 (I'm getting HD800 later this year so I wanna avoid these for now) VS Hifiman 400 VS Sony MDR-7520 VS AKG A-701 VS Beats (lol NO.)
Could someone point me to ones you think are right, or pick 3 out of them. Cant seem to decide! too many options! If you know any better around the same price range please let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back