++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #27,586 of 29,490
Quote:
The Sony MDR 7520 would be great for you, but are almost certainly above your budget (they would be in the U.S.) if bought new.

Below them good options are the KRK KNS 8400 or for more bass and less treble, the Shure SRH 840.  If you can do without the detachable cable, the AKG K 550 and Sony MDR 7510 & 7506 come into play.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely check those out, though I can't find a store in the UK that stocks the KRK 8400 or the Shure 840's to actually go and test out. The Sony 7520's seem fantastic but are certainly out of my budget. 

Would be interested to know of any other recommendations you can make, I'm going to see if I can think of any stores at all that'd stock the Shure's as I'd love to test them out. 

What do you think of the Sennheiser HD 215 or 380? - Or are they not as good as your suggestions? 

Thanks. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #27,587 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I have been using Sony MDR-Z300 as my primary headphone for 15+ years. Although I hope that it has a tad more bass when I listen to rocks, I love this headphone. But it's starting to fall apart after many years of use, so now I'm in the journey for my next headphone.

The songs I listen vary greatly : from Classicals ( e.g. Orchestras , solo violinist ) , Country/Pop ( e.g. Kate Miller-Heidke , Feist, Cold Play )  to alternative/rock (e.g. Within Temptation, Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson)

I have been reading forum threads and a few other reviews thread and it seems that AKG K550 is the best closed option for what I listen. Does anyone have any other suggestion ?

My budget is < $500 for the headphone, although I don't mind to save a bit longer for a higher budget if it's worth it.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #27,588 of 29,490
Quote:
What do you think of the Sennheiser HD 215 or 380? - Or are they not as good as your suggestions? 

Thanks. 

Sorry--don't know or have heard enough to have on informed opinion.

However, any can with "extreme" in its name (especially when close to "DJ") raised big red flags to me.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #27,589 of 29,490
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy my first pair of full-sized headphones.  I don't want to be bothered with carrying an amp around, so I'm just wondering what the best headphones would be without the use of an amp.  I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD518's because I've heard they sound better than the 558's or the 598's when used without an amp, but I'm open to other suggestions.  I'm also looking to keep the price below $200.

Thanks!

EDIT: I will be listening to music mostly on my phone.  I have high bitrate (256 and up) mp3's.  I listen to rock, techno, and some hip hop and rap.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #27,590 of 29,490
hello again! i have a simple question to ask here, my first ever "proper" pair of headphones are currently the beats solo hd (yes you don't need to say they are bad) if i get any pair of good audio headphones in my case i might buy the M50's, will i notice the difference 100% from playing high quality music from CD's? however it will be played from my laptop, which isn't state of the art sound wise lol. if so then i will not hesitate buying some good headphones compared to beats and possible a amplifier because if i will hardly notice difference from beats. then i probably wont even buy a new pair

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #27,591 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy my first pair of full-sized headphones.  I don't want to be bothered with carrying an amp around, so I'm just wondering what the best headphones would be without the use of an amp.  I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD518's because I've heard they sound better than the 558's or the 598's when used without an amp, but I'm open to other suggestions.  I'm also looking to keep the price below $200.

Thanks!

EDIT: I will be listening to music mostly on my phone.  I have high bitrate (256 and up) mp3's.  I listen to rock, techno, and some hip hop and rap.

You may like the more bassy sound of the HD 518 over its upline bros, but in fact it's just a touch less efficient than they are.  I assume you know that all three are open--leak sound and isolate you from outside sounds almost not at all.

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #27,592 of 29,490
Quote:
hello again! i have a simple question to ask here, my first ever "proper" pair of headphones are currently the beats solo hd (yes you don't need to say they are bad) if i get any pair of good audio headphones in my case i might buy the M50's, will i notice the difference 100% from playing high quality music from CD's? however it will be played from my laptop, which isn't state of the art sound wise lol. if so then i will not hesitate buying some good headphones compared to beats and possible a amplifier because if i will hardly notice difference from beats. then i probably wont even buy a new pair

The sound signature change alone will be more than enough for you to heard a big difference--even with a not-so-neutral (but much more so than Beats) M50.

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #27,593 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

I have been using Sony MDR-Z300 as my primary headphone for 15+ years. Although I hope that it has a tad more bass when I listen to rocks, I love this headphone. But it's starting to fall apart after many years of use, so now I'm in the journey for my next headphone.

The songs I listen vary greatly : from Classicals ( e.g. Orchestras , solo violinist ) , Country/Pop ( e.g. Kate Miller-Heidke , Feist, Cold Play )  to alternative/rock (e.g. Within Temptation, Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson)

I have been reading forum threads and a few other reviews thread and it seems that AKG K550 is the best closed option for what I listen. Does anyone have any other suggestion ?

My budget is < $500 for the headphone, although I don't mind to save a bit longer for a higher budget if it's worth it.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #27,596 of 29,490
Hi KG Jag,

At the moment I do not have any amp, I mainly listen via my computer via onboard sound ( I am aware that anything other than onboard sound is an upgrade, but I haven't been able to afford a sizable budget to upgrade ). I'm thinking of getting Schiit Modi + Magni  (or something more powerful (like Asgard2 + Modi ?) depending on the headphone choice ).

It's hard to describe the sound signature, as my ears are trained to this headphone for years ( I grow up with it ), so my taste will be heavily biased. I prefer something that shows better sound stage ( so that I can *see* where the pianist sat in an orcheastra in my head ), cleaner mid (?) ( sometimes i find that vocal can muddle/cover the musics that played at the same time ), and a tad more bass when I listen to rock (it doesn't seem to have enough punch ).

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #27,597 of 29,490
Hey guys,

Trying to figure out some monitor cans for making electronic music. I already have the universally acclaimed ATH-M50's and am looking for another for a second reference, and...well, just to enjoy having two.

Since my M50s are closed, I was thinking maybe I should look at some open ones?

1) Are open headphones better/worse/same for monitoring?
2) My frontrunners are :

-AKG K701, K702 or Q701

-Sony MDR 7506 / 7509

-Beyerdynamic 770/990 Pro. I'm a little confused by the Ohmage variants, though. Are the Pro ranges different from the regulars?

-Senn 600s. I've heard these are more 'neutral' than the 650s, thus better for monitoring. 

-ATH AD900x.

Any advice to offer? I have a good sense of each of the brand's quirks and subtleties, but not much between in terms of how the models vary. e.g. the difference between the 7506 and 7509, or between the 770 and 990.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #27,598 of 29,490
Hello, I have a Hifiman-he500 on order because I wanted to try orhto's. I heard it sounds great in most of the review I read. My amp is a Samson S Amp, my DAC is a HRT Music Streamer II. I was wondering what DAC and Amp is should i really go for. I have 30 days to return to the HRT Music Streamer II. Budget 200 max on amp and 200 max on DAC. I would like to save as much as possible. It would be great if a Magni/Modi would be good enough. Let me know thanks.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #27,599 of 29,490
Hey guys,

Trying to figure out some monitor cans for making electronic music. I already have the universally acclaimed ATH-M50's and am looking for another for a second reference, and...well, just to enjoy having two.

2) My frontrunners are :

-AKG K701, K702 or Q701

-Sony MDR 7506 / 7509

-Beyerdynamic 770/990 Pro. I'm a little confused by the Ohmage variants, though. Are the Pro ranges different from the regulars?

-Senn 600s. I've heard these are more 'neutral' than the 650s, thus better for monitoring. 

-ATH AD900x.

Any advice to offer? I have a good sense of each of the brand's quirks and subtleties, but not much between in terms of how the models vary. e.g. the difference between the 7506 and 7509, or between the 770 and 990.

Cheers,

Can't comment on a lot of your post, but I can point this out: the DT770s are closed headphones while the 990s are open. I've read somewhere that the 990s have the most recessed mids of the DT line, but I could be mistaken.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #27,600 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

2) My frontrunners are :

-AKG K701, K702 or Q701

-Sony MDR 7506 / 7509

-ATH AD900x.

Cheers,

wanna look into the cd900st as a possibility.

The k70x's are fine. Cold is probably the way you'd like it for monitoring. Though the bass is light. 

The 7506/v6 are great, but I heard their basses are a bit much. I'm not sure about the 7509 though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back