++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #27,571 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply.

I'll be using them with my laptop or iPod. Nothing major. Occasionally used for monitoring audio via a Zoom H1 when I'm out filming. I do a lot of video editing for my YouTube page… Not sure if it helps, but I mainly listen to musicals: Jekyll and Hyde, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, etc. As well as a lot of classical pieces and soundtracks, especially when working on videos. Soundtracks and Musicals are probably the main things I listen to.   

Music is going to be in a variety of formats, mainly MP3 or AAC. 

If I do use them outside, it'll only be with my iPod. 

Again, I'm not using them for anything too major or high-tech, just looking for a decent pair. 

Thanks again.

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #27,572 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all, I was hoping to receive some input on a new pair of cans. My first foray into proper headphones, so I feel a little out of my depth.

Budget: $100-150

Source: My computer (Onboard sound. Haven't gotten a soundcard as of yet.), and mp3 players/iphone/ipod.

Preferred Design: Not really sure. Judging from research, it seems closed-cans are the way to go for me.

Isolation Requirements: It'd be nice to be decently isolating. I have six noisy roommates, and live in a fairly noisy area. Leakage isn't too much of a problem, but low-leak headphones would be nice.

Used For: Mostly music, I listen mainly to rock, jazz, big band and blues. Some gaming, but I don't need a mic.

Comfort: Fairly important. I spend a fair amount of time listening to music.

Thanks!

KRK KNS 8400, Sony MDR 7510--or somewhat less efficient Sony MDR 7506.

Closed cans will limit your sound stage for gaming.

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #27,573 of 29,490
Budget $ 100 or cheaper. 

Usage: Gaming, Music (Heavy Metal, Prog Metal, some techno and pop) and E-Drums

Equipment: I'll use it with a X-fi  Fatal1ty soundboard. 

I already own a JVC HA-RX700, i need something better.

Needs: I'm looking for a comfortable headphone with punchy bass and sound as good as my JVC. I enjoy a good soundstage, but the JVC lacks some punchyness, specially for games. 

Already got some names, Grado sr80i,  but i guess without closed cans i wont have good soundstage, also they seem fragile. Another one i've been looking at is AKG k81Dj. Not sure if it's quality is on par with my JVC but it seems to have better bass. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #27,574 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I'll be using them with my laptop or iPod. Nothing major. Occasionally used for monitoring audio via a Zoom H1 when I'm out filming. I do a lot of video editing for my YouTube page… Not sure if it helps, but I mainly listen to musicals: Jekyll and Hyde, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, etc. As well as a lot of classical pieces and soundtracks, especially when working on videos. Soundtracks and Musicals are probably the main things I listen to.   

Music is going to be in a variety of formats, mainly MP3 or AAC. 

If I do use them outside, it'll only be with my iPod. 

Again, I'm not using them for anything too major or high-tech, just looking for a decent pair. 

Thanks again.

The Sony MDR 7520 would be great for you, but are almost certainly above your budget (they would be in the U.S.) if bought new.

Below them good options are the KRK KNS 8400 or for more bass and less treble, the Shure SRH 840.  If you can do without the detachable cable, the AKG K 550 and Sony MDR 7510 & 7506 come into play.

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #27,575 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget - $150. Flexible probably $20-30
Source - Primarily sager np9170 laptop and my desktop. Maybe sometimes on htc rezound and sansa clip zip
Requirements for Isolation - Will be going to college next year so probably fair isolation if used in the library or in dorm and not wanting to bother others.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-sized closed headphones for reasons stated above
Preferred tonal balance - Honestly, not sure. This will be my first pair of good headphones and I don't have much experience with highs, mids and lows
Past headphones - (I tested out a900x and dt770s today. More on that later) Bose, beats iem, apple earbuds, other various cheap headphones
Preferred Music - Wide variety. Really will listen to most stuff. Not very into country. Listen to a lot of rock, alternative, and indie but getting more into electronic maybe a little rap. Even sometimes going as far as listening to Native American songs and celtic music. I can't explain why.

So earlier I was pretty sure I was going to pick between the a900x and dt770s, so I went to best buy to get a feel for the two. I enjoyed the sound of the a900x's a lot but they kept slipping due to the wings and then clamping on my jaw making them rather uncomfortable. Then I tried the dt770s (employee pulled them out of the box since their musical instrument section is going away in a few months anyways) and I didn't really like the feel of the velour pads. The fit was better I think but the pads felt rough to me. I didn't get much time to try because the employee was standing there waiting on me. The sound didn't seem as good but they probably weren't burned in since they were a boxed version. Now the akg 550s felt pretty comfortable to me but are out of my price range.

Edit: I've also been looking a little into the m50s and the shure srh840s but not really sure. Open to any other suggestions or thoughts on modifications to the ones listed above. So thoughts?

The M50's have recessed mids--so there are better choices.  Start with the Shures and KRK KNS 8400 (less bass and more treble than the Shures), Sony MDR 7510 or 7506.

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #27,576 of 29,490
Hey guys. I'm currently looking to buy a new set of open-back cans. I'm stuck between the Beyerdynamic DT440s and the Sennheiser HD558s. Which one is preferable? I listen to everything, although not much hip-hop or electronic (dub step, house etc.) Also, if I do get the 558s, I plan to do the foam mod as well. Both cans would only be for home use. I also do have the option of pairing either one with a FiiO E10. Suggestions?

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #27,577 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking to upgrade my HD555 foam-moded

Budget: <300$ (I'm in Canada)

Source: PC(flac\mp3) with my Xonar Essence STX

Type: Full sized open headphones

Uses: 70% music, 30% gaming

Music: Mostly into rock/stoner/psychedelic but some punk\ska\hardcore as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmciQJSCoCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CSsQjJXm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpv2DYrE5eo]

Sound: Like a detailed sound with a good punching bass.

Don't want to get headphones that would require an external amp.

Don't mind getting a used pair in the For Sale forums

Thanks!

Bump,didn't get any answers :frowning2:

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #27,578 of 29,490
I'm looking to purchase a set of closed portable headphones with detachable cords (preferably) or at least cables that aren't long enough that you can't take them around.

Not looking to power these with an amp. Just going to listen to music straight from my iX

Price range can be anywhere from 300-600

I listen mostly to hip-hop, dance, techno. So I'm looking for a set with nice bass and preferably also an open soundstage.

I originally was going to pull the trigger on the new Denon D7100 but the reviews seemed to be really mixed on them. Was thinking maybe the D600 would suffice seeing as they're about 300-400 in price difference.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #27,579 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking to purchase a set of closed portable headphones with detachable cords (preferably) or at least cables that aren't long enough that you can't take them around.

Not looking to power these with an amp. Just going to listen to music straight from my iX

Price range can be anywhere from 300-600

I listen mostly to hip-hop, dance, techno. So I'm looking for a set with nice bass and preferably also an open soundstage.

I originally was going to pull the trigger on the new Denon D7100 but the reviews seemed to be really mixed on them. Was thinking maybe the D600 would suffice seeing as they're about 300-400 in price difference.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

This section is for full sized headphones only.  There is a recommendations thread in the portable headphones, IEM section of the forum:

[size=12.0pt]http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here[/size]

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #27,580 of 29,490
Apr 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #27,581 of 29,490
The M50's have recessed mids--so there are better choices.  Start with the Shures and KRK KNS 8400 (less bass and more treble than the Shures), Sony MDR 7510 or 7506.

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Thanks for the reply! I looked a lot into the KRKs and they seem to have good reviews albeit some people say they are lacking in the bass department and are better for mixing than for just listening which is all I would be doing with them. They seem really good and I hadn't even heard of them before so it was good to hear about them especially that they are supposed to be so comfortable.
Given that I've never had a chance to try them. How do they do in the different categories of rock, folk, edm, trance, indie, classical? I'm new to the whole bass, mids, treble lingo and so I'm still trying to get a good idea of songs and genres that have good examples of each.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #27,582 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
This section is for full sized headphones only.  There is a recommendations thread in the portable headphones, IEM section of the forum:

[size=12.0pt]http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here[/size]

I was hoping to find something similar to the D7100s. Are they considered portable fullsized? 

If so and at $1,200 MSRP, they would be covered in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #27,583 of 29,490
Quote:
If so and at $1,200 MSRP, they would be covered in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

OK, forget the portable part, forget the $1000+ MSRP.

Can someone recommend a set of Closed Full Size headphones.

As mentioned I listen mostly to hip-hop, techno, some pop. Prefer a set of cans with decent bass and open soundstage. Would like to be able to use them on long trips. 

Price range 300-600 USD

Preferably with detachable cords but not a must. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #27,584 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the reply! I looked a lot into the KRKs and they seem to have good reviews albeit some people say they are lacking in the bass department and are better for mixing than for just listening which is all I would be doing with them. They seem really good and I hadn't even heard of them before so it was good to hear about them especially that they are supposed to be so comfortable.
Given that I've never had a chance to try them. How do they do in the different categories of rock, folk, edm, trance, indie, classical? I'm new to the whole bass, mids, treble lingo and so I'm still trying to get a good idea of songs and genres that have good examples of each.

As few on this thread day to day have listened to them with all those genres, you should check the professional and other comprehensive reviews.

Apr 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #27,585 of 29,490
Quote:
Everyone will not know your tastes, but all of us understand the sound signature you are seeking, if you can describe it to us.  While we might not find the "perfect" headphone for you, we should be able to ID some good ones that fall within your budget and other requirements.

it was posted earlier on, i mainly listen to pop music along with r&b/hip/hop/dance and so i would need a headphone with a decent midrange i would of thought? not sure though. examples of artists/bands i listen to:

example, girls aloud, cheryl, rita ora, chris brown, david guetta, pitbull, nelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back