++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 21, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #27,556 of 29,490
Hi I need help with something, I recently purchased a Sennheiser HD700 headphone. I want to connect it to my optical output from my TV without degrading the sound. I cant seem to find the right adaptors or converters for 6.5mm jack. I did for 3.5mm though. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #27,557 of 29,490
Hey everyone,
  I recently moved my wadia to my hi fi setup and now need a source for my desktop. Right now i'm running a usb straight to my da100 and I'm getting a lot of interference,i.e. low level buzzing and noises from scrolling on the computer.

My Question is:
           Will upgrading my usb cable stop this? maybe something shielded? Or do I need to buy a converter and just run spdif or coax to my DAC?

Thanks

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #27,558 of 29,490
Quote:
@35SE
Go for the HD439
smily_headphones1.gif
they work for every genre and are fun to listen to and warm! They lack in detail and refinment but are very similar to listening to music in a large room with speakers if that makes any sense?

I snagged a pair of ebay. Really hesitant to get em off ebay but the wallet won the battle this time.

Appreciate the suggestion! Will post how I like em when they come in the mail :)

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #27,559 of 29,490
So I'm still waiting for my AD900X (delayed by a month) but I'm thinking of also getting a set of closed cans to compliment them. Was thinking A900X or HM5. Any suggestions? 

Will be listening through my Xonar DGX while I consider getting a FiiO E12.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #27,560 of 29,490
Apr 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #27,561 of 29,490
Hey everyone! :)

I'm looking for a pair of comfortable headphones for around $300 (willing to go up to $500 only if it's really worth it) that'll be great for listening to rock, metal, punk rock, EDM (electronic dance music) and occasionally rap/hip-hop. I'll also be using whatever I end getting for gaming (Battlefield 3 multiplayer specifically) so it would be great if they're decent for playing games with too. 

Isolation isn't really a problem as I'll be using them in my room, I just need them to be very comfortable as I'll be using them for long periods of time.

Examples of What I Listen to: 

Rammstein: Stripped:

Slipknot - Left Behind :

Sum 41 - Walking Disaster:

Playing off of the computer? What's your sound card and are you using an external amp?

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #27,562 of 29,490
Hi all,

I started a thread earlier, but am reposting here as I've read that this is the correct place for advice questions. Apologies about that, I'm new here.

Just passing by to ask for some advice regarding headphones. My old pair broke so I'm on the hunt for a new pair... I'm looking for over-ear (or a really comfortable on-ear) with detachable cable and are closed (I think that's the right term?) so outside noise is reduced or absent. I wear them for hours daily and listen to a lot of musicals and classical pieces (with the occasional dubstep), so they must be durable but not too tight, my head is huge! =p

I have been looking at the Sennheiser HD 215 and 380 models, but would be interested to know alternative suggestions. I'm looking for something preferably under £180 ($270ish).

Thanks in advance,

John.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #27,563 of 29,490
Hey all, I was hoping to receive some input on a new pair of cans. My first foray into proper headphones, so I feel a little out of my depth.

Budget: $100-150

Source: My computer (Onboard sound. Haven't gotten a soundcard as of yet.), and mp3 players/iphone/ipod.

Preferred Design: Not really sure. Judging from research, it seems closed-cans are the way to go for me.

Isolation Requirements: It'd be nice to be decently isolating. I have six noisy roommates, and live in a fairly noisy area. Leakage isn't too much of a problem, but low-leak headphones would be nice.

Used For: Mostly music, I listen mainly to rock, jazz, big band and blues. Some gaming, but I don't need a mic.

Comfort: Fairly important. I spend a fair amount of time listening to music.

Thanks!

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #27,564 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi I need help with something, I recently purchased a Sennheiser HD700 headphone. I want to connect it to my optical output from my TV without degrading the sound. I cant seem to find the right adaptors or converters for 6.5mm jack. I did for 3.5mm though. 

That's OT here.  Other sections of the forum deal with technical issues.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #27,565 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Do you really need a closed design if you are listening at home where you won't bother others?

If not, open headphones such as the grado's could be added to your list for consideration. 

I am trying to gather as much info as possible on the sr60i and igrado's before a make a decision the next week or two. 

i dont mind about open or closed but someone advised me that closed were better as the soundstage for my music genre's arent really needed or something. i've looked into ATH-M50's, grado SR80I and a couple of sennheiser models ranging from hd400's-hd500's but i cannot make up my mind as i dont know which are best for my tastes

Everyone will not know your tastes, but all of us understand the sound signature you are seeking, if you can describe it to us.  While we might not find the "perfect" headphone for you, we should be able to ID some good ones that fall within your budget and other requirements.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #27,566 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone,
  I recently moved my wadia to my hi fi setup and now need a source for my desktop. Right now i'm running a usb straight to my da100 and I'm getting a lot of interference,i.e. low level buzzing and noises from scrolling on the computer.

My Question is:
           Will upgrading my usb cable stop this? maybe something shielded? Or do I need to buy a converter and just run spdif or coax to my DAC?

Thanks

That's OT here.  Other sections of the forum deal with technical issues.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #27,567 of 29,490
Quote:
So I'm still waiting for my AD900X (delayed by a month) but I'm thinking of also getting a set of closed cans to compliment them. Was thinking A900X or HM5. Any suggestions? 

Will be listening through my Xonar DGX while I consider getting a FiiO E12.

That depends in large part whether or not you intend to use them on the go and/or in public.  Both of those cans are very big.

Of the two, the A900X is better overall.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #27,568 of 29,490
Quote:
Still can't decide between

AKG K 271 MK II
AKG K 240 MK II
Audio-Technica ATH-M50

And probably a few others. Why do there have to be so many of them?^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSL3m8FvQs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UPCLR8-Aeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-IWRmpefzE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDvC3VmaGpY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Qfoi1pVbQ

What is your budget?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #27,569 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

I started a thread earlier, but am reposting here as I've read that this is the correct place for advice questions. Apologies about that, I'm new here.

Just passing by to ask for some advice regarding headphones. My old pair broke so I'm on the hunt for a new pair... I'm looking for over-ear (or a really comfortable on-ear) with detachable cable and are closed (I think that's the right term?) so outside noise is reduced or absent. I wear them for hours daily and listen to a lot of musicals and classical pieces (with the occasional dubstep), so they must be durable but not too tight, my head is huge! =p

I have been looking at the Sennheiser HD 215 and 380 models, but would be interested to know alternative suggestions. I'm looking for something preferably under £180 ($270ish).

Thanks in advance,

John.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #27,570 of 29,490
Budget - $150. Flexible probably $20-30
Source - Primarily sager np9170 laptop and my desktop. Maybe sometimes on htc rezound and sansa clip zip
Requirements for Isolation - Will be going to college next year so probably fair isolation if used in the library or in dorm and not wanting to bother others.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-sized closed headphones for reasons stated above
Preferred tonal balance - Honestly, not sure. This will be my first pair of good headphones and I don't have much experience with highs, mids and lows
Past headphones - (I tested out a900x and dt770s today. More on that later) Bose, beats iem, apple earbuds, other various cheap headphones
Preferred Music - Wide variety. Really will listen to most stuff. Not very into country. Listen to a lot of rock, alternative, and indie but getting more into electronic maybe a little rap. Even sometimes going as far as listening to Native American songs and celtic music. I can't explain why.

So earlier I was pretty sure I was going to pick between the a900x and dt770s, so I went to best buy to get a feel for the two. I enjoyed the sound of the a900x's a lot but they kept slipping due to the wings and then clamping on my jaw making them rather uncomfortable. Then I tried the dt770s (employee pulled them out of the box since their musical instrument section is going away in a few months anyways) and I didn't really like the feel of the velour pads. The fit was better I think but the pads felt rough to me. I didn't get much time to try because the employee was standing there waiting on me. The sound didn't seem as good but they probably weren't burned in since they were a boxed version. Now the akg 550s felt pretty comfortable to me but are out of my price range.

Edit: I've also been looking a little into the m50s and the shure srh840s but not really sure. Open to any other suggestions or thoughts on modifications to the ones listed above. So thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back