++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #27,511 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, almost didn't see this thread. :)

I want to "step up" a bit with my sound equipment. After doing some research, I'll probably buy these:

- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD (~$90)
 - AKG K-271 MKII (~$160)

I chose the sound card because it seems to be the only USB card (<- important) with an optical out (for my speakers). I'm not sure yet about the sound quality though, as there just doesn't seem to be much concurrence. Regarding the headphones, I am kinda lost in the ocean of products. I want closed or at least half-closed full-size headphones. I want to be able to wear them for a long period of time (up to 10 hours eventually), so they should be reasonably comfortable. I mostly listen to electronic music, things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSL3m8FvQs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UPCLR8-Aeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-IWRmpefzE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDvC3VmaGpY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Qfoi1pVbQ

Well, you get the idea. I am not doing any music work, so "exact" sound isn't really important to me. I do like a clean, precise sound though, if that's a thing. I'm not sure why I'm still asking here, I guess I'm just looking for some kind of conformation since that's kinda a lot of money for me. :wink: Feel free to post any product alternatives (if they aren't a lot more expensive), I'll gratefully have a closer look at all of them. Thanks in advance for any help.

There's a mint condition AKG K271 Mkii selling for $70 on the FS/FT forums here. Save yourself $90.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #27,512 of 29,490
Have to agree, based on your preferences & problems mentioned above, the AD900X may be the can for you.

You might also like the Shure SRH 1840, but at its usual (high) price it is not a front runner.

Well, bummer. I came "this close" to popping for a set of SRH1840 before going the HE400 route. Still, it seems like my iterative approach has me headed in the right direction and is narrowing in as I'd hoped. And it's been a fun process even if not the most direct.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #27,513 of 29,490
Hello all,
New here looking for a good set of headphones.

Listen to alot of rock/metal so would rather grab a pair made more for them. Also looking for strong build as these will be used outside the house a lot like at the gym.

From what I have researched these are decent pairs. Just can't figure out which would be the best fit.

Sennheiser HD280 pro
Sennheiser 429/39/ or 49... Not sure which of the three would be the best to compare with
Audio Technica ATH M50s
shure SRH440

All seem like good choices. Dunno which might be the best or if there is a different pair that might fit my style better?

Thanks for any help!!

EDIT: Looking to keep it under or around 100 dollars.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #27,515 of 29,490
It seems the more I read in the forums the more confusing picking the right headphone can be.  I, like a lot of other new people to this forum, don't want to be buying and selling a bunch of equipment over and over hoping to come across the right combination of music tastes and phones/amp.  Most of the people here seem to have more than one set of headphones, which strikes me rather odd, I can't imagine having several sets of speakers around my living room because some genre of music sounds better on one than another.  And most of us don't have a HiFi store anywhere near to listen to first, and traveling to a meet sounds fun, but not always practical.  Anyway, this forum thing is a great place to start.  Thanks.  

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #27,516 of 29,490
@35SE
Go for the HD439 :) they work for every genre and are fun to listen to and warm! They lack in detail and refinment but are very similar to listening to music in a large room with speakers if that makes any sense?

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #27,517 of 29,490
It seems the more I read in the forums the more confusing picking the right headphone can be.  I, like a lot of other new people to this forum, don't want to be buying and selling a bunch of equipment over and over hoping to come across the right combination of music tastes and phones/amp.  Most of the people here seem to have more than one set of headphones, which strikes me rather odd, I can't imagine having several sets of speakers around my living room because some genre of music sounds better on one than another.  And most of us don't have a HiFi store anywhere near to listen to first, and traveling to a meet sounds fun, but not always practical.  Anyway, this forum thing is a great place to start.  Thanks.  

As I just said in another message, for me I planned on it being an iterative, step up thing from the very beginning. Otherwise, without first hand access, how can you ever expect to get to where you want to be in one fell swoop. I'm narrowing in and I'm doing so in a very entertaining and minimal cost sort of fashion. (Assuming I sell and don't hoard all my acquisitions along the way.)

Now that being said, I do plan on ending up with "a few" different headphones for distinct purposes:

1) Portable: Something I can easily take out in public, closed, drives easily, looks stylish. For me that's looking like the Audio Technica ESW9 right now. Happened on it first thing. Beginners luck.

2) Bedside: I actually had a set that would and still could suffice here before I ever started the pursuit; Sony MDR7506. Closed, easily driven. I'm luxuriating here and will probably allow myself a modded set of JVC HA S500 for bedside returning the Sonys to my "studio" for monitoring and practice.

3) Guest: Again, a closed, easily driven, inexpensive set that I don't mind getting trashed when people come over to record. Also had these going in: Sony MDR v6

4) My main listeners: Open, full size, mid pronounced and airy though laid back (not sibilant) at the same time. Here is where I'm still zeroing in. Steps along the way have been the Audio Technica AD700, Sennheiser HD598, and most recently HiFiMan HE400. As U2 says, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for." But I'm getting there and enjoying the journey. Like most things in life, it's all about the journey rather than the endpoint.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #27,518 of 29,490
Haha, I can agree a bit with @insert-here, everytime I come back to these forums, I start thinking of other headphones to buy. 

I've been doing a lot of research though, and I think I've decided on getting the Koss ProDJ100, the AKG K240, and the FiiO Eo7K Amp. For the most part, I listen to rock and electronic music, so I've been trying to find something with a bit more bass to it. I was wondering if you all think that this would be a good buy for someone wanting to get an entry level audiophile setup. 

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #27,519 of 29,490
Quote:
The mids are not neutral and sound just a tad unnatural.

Can't help with your Fiio question.

I'm still considering getting the he 400. In terms of comfort, how do they fit compared to the hd 598? Most headphones press against my ears although the hd 598 goes all the way around. Is the he-400 large enough to go all the way around the ears?

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #27,520 of 29,490
Quote:
@35SE
Go for the HD439
smily_headphones1.gif
they work for every genre and are fun to listen to and warm! They lack in detail and refinment but are very similar to listening to music in a large room with speakers if that makes any sense?

Thanks. Was actually leaning towards them more. Or maybe the 280 pros. What is the biggest difference between the two? 

Also any reason why bestbuy doesnt have the 439s for sale anymore? 

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #27,521 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there, I recently got a Audio Technica A2000X. Would anyone like to share their opinions if I will be able to hear a great difference if I amp it? Using it with a desktop setup

Not a huge difference, but substantial enough for me to recommend one. It's instantly more engaging with my M-Stage, a warmer, livelier sound with more bass impact and fuller mids.

If my suspicions are correct, the A2000X uses the same drivers as the ES10's- which is a portable, easy-to-drive headphone- but if you check out the es10 thread they also agree that the ES10's improve quite a bit with hefty amping.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #27,522 of 29,490
Greetings

My Audio technica ath-a700 headphones broke a couple days ago and now i am looking for replacements. Since i loved them so much i planned to buy another pair but they don't seem to sell the normal model anymore, only the x version that hurts my ears after a while.

Budget: not more then 200 euro

Source: Directly plugged in the soundcard of my PC, never taken anywhere

Preferred design: over the ears

Isolation requirements: preferable as much as possible since i sit in a room with 2 PC's and their tends to be talking a lot of time so i want actually hear my stuff (with the old senheiser hd555 i didn't hear my own music) so a closed design.

Used for: Both gaming and music, music a bit more tough

Preferred music: Orchestra

Comfort: very important since i use them basically the whole day long. I absolutely adored the A700's for this, they were big enough to fit around my ears but most of all, the fabric of the earpads is amazingly soft so after a while i didn't even notice i had them on. I also wear glasses 24/7.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #27,523 of 29,490
Thanks. Was actually leaning towards them more. Or maybe the 280 pros. What is the biggest difference between the two? 

Also any reason why bestbuy doesnt have the 439s for sale anymore? 

The 280 are so uncomfortable and have very analytical sound. Not to fun. And i have no clue why they arent on sale :frowning2:

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #27,525 of 29,490
Hello everyone.I've done a little research and for the money i am able to give (up to 130[size=small]£) i think that the Audio Technica ATH-M50 are the best choice.[/size][size=small]I am not experienced though (i never had full-size headphones, only earphones that costed 13[/size][size=small]£) so i wanted to see some opinions...[/size]
[size=small]I want them just to listen to music and the type of music i listen to is like these:[/size]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L9piNZFJU0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC-WkDJA0vI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOI4MJQEg2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MahQjygVav0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9835AnLaEiM

Also i plan on using them for many hours and i don't want them to make me feel dizzy or like my ears are "burning".
If you think that there are better choices for me then please help me :)
Thanks in advance!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back