++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #27,496 of 29,490
Quote:
What fiio amp can go well with k240?

e12? Though since it's the k240's, i'd save the money for something down the line. 
Quote:

Would you be using a desktop amp or will you rely solely on the amp from the STX (which isn't too powerful)?

I'm an idiot.

right on battlefield sheep. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #27,497 of 29,490
Aye, Don't know if I get or answer or not but I sure hope I do.
Birthday is coming up, and I've decided to finally buy a good pair of headphones that will hopefully run better than my Beats Studio. I mainly listen to electronic music like:
Dubstep; Omnitica, Pegboard Nerds, Getter, Knife Party, Kdrew, Nero, Porter Robinson, Zedd, Tristam, Major Lazer, Tut Tut Child, Ephixa, etc.
Chillstep: Kill Paris, MiTiS, MrSuicideSheep(Youtube channel I use for music)
Trance/House/Techno; Tiesto, ATB, Daft Punk, Kascade, and Monstercat.
Basically all types of EDM. I do sometimes listen to other genres like Gorillaz, Band Of Horses, Avenged Sevenfold, and so forth.
I'm mainly stuck between 2 pairs of cans that right now have the same price. With the purchase, I will be also getting the Digizoid ZO2 to make sure my bass isn't uncontrolled and is satisfied.
Headphones:
V-Moda M-100 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A39PPDK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=16VM28CEGTEVWK84JKHG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846
ir

vs
Ultrasone Pro 900 http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-900-Professional-Headphones/dp/B001F00F0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366150610&sr=8-1&keywords=Ultrasone+pro+900%5C
ir

Please don't recommend other pairs of headphones unless you truly think it can beat these 2 headphones in the same price range. (200-300$)
Being nearly worth 600$, the Ultrasones are on sale for about 295$ at the moment, while the V-Modas are the same price. I was almost certain that I was going to get the Pros, but after reading many many reviews, I see that the bass is absolutely incredible, but the mids are not there and the quality sound is not so good. With the V-Modas, I've have not heard many negative comments at all! This makes me very nervous about the Ultrasones, and curisosity has hit me. Will the V-Modas be a better choice for sound quality and bass? Or do the Ultrasones beat the V-Modas with quality and bass? Really hope I can get some answers soon, birthday isn't too far away. 
Cheers,
-Mr Pineappleman 
Bump

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #27,501 of 29,490
Given that they have similar impedance, the AKGs may sound better even without an amp; but will likely sound much better than the Sonys with one.

Laptop sound isn't going to be the best, though.  If you can get your hands on one, consider something like the Xonar U3.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #27,504 of 29,490
I just bought some ath m50s.

My thoughts:

highs are slightly too harsh. (cymbals are a bit rough on the ears and take away from the creamy mids)
Mids are pretty good but could be a bit better (bass seems to slop into them)
Bass is nice but a bit uncontrolled (bleeds and is more of a RUMBLE... I like a bit more PUNCH)

Comfort: Satisfactory. Actually pretty good.
Build quality: seems solid
Style: not too bad.
Noise isolation: Great

I got them for 107. 117 with tax

My question:

Is there a headset that is maybe 150ish or less that covers these modifications:

Highs: just as clear, but less harsh on the ears
Mids: More pronounced
Lows: Nearly as powerful with more control

I do not want too much sacrifice in the comfort or noise isolation department because I wear glasses and I need the isolation (NOT CANCELLATION)

Style and build quality are fine.

Prefer closed, not open.

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #27,506 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
You'll get more bass, but the mids of the HE 400 are a little bit funky--especially when compared to your Senn.  Others to consider: DT 880 & HD 600 and bassier HD 650.  All need an amp.

Funky in what way? I have an E17/E9k combo. Is that good enough for any of those?

The mids are not neutral and sound just a tad unnatural.

Can't help with your Fiio question.

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #27,507 of 29,490
Quote:
Was hoping that HE400 would be my "end game" for awhile anyway, but it's beginning to look like it may not work out. Still not giving up totally but beginning to think ahead and looking around. Here are my beefs with the HE400:

Never was down with the aesthetic. The blue just doesn't do it for me. Yet I do like the looks of HD598 and AD700 so funky ain't the problem.

Sound is too inconsistent for me. (Is that what people mean by "revealing?") One recording I think they sound great, the next, terrible.

In general, I'd say I like vocals more forward though like I say, that varies song by song.

Not a huge fan of the highs. Yes, sibilance comes into play sometimes, but more it's that they don't seem very "open" for open headphones. In this sense, I like the top end of AD700 more.

They aren't tremendously comfortable for me. Not bad, but again, I prefer my AD700 or even on ear ESW9.

Here are some that I'm considering:

AD900x - these may be the leader in the clubhouse for me, but largely because of form factor. Not sure the sound signature goes where I want.
HD600/650 - little concerned about fit here since I'm not liking the fit of HD598. Not a big fan of the look either.
DT880 - been a long time curiosity for me

LCD2/HE500 - these were what I wanted prior to settling on the HE400 but it seemed like I didn't have enough amp for them and didn't want to set off a whole new round of electronics upgrades to accommodate my headphones.

Anything I'm missing here or am off base on? There was a Shure going used for awhile that I considered before getting the HE400 but forget the model# on them. And yes, I would consider same tier trades. That or I might just admit that for now I'm just a mid-fi kind of guy.

Have to agree, based on your preferences & problems mentioned above, the AD900X may be the can for you.

You might also like the Shure SRH 1840, but at its usual (high) price it is not a front runner.

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #27,509 of 29,490
Hi guys,

Basically I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, I'm going to be using them on the go a lot so ill need them to not leak a lot of noise, pref over ear headphones. My budget is around £70-80, I listen to a lot of electronic music, Dubstep, electro house etc. I'd like a pair that don't look ridiculous. I know next to nothing about decent headphones but I can say for sure after listening to my friends 'Wesc chambers' I'm not willing to spend that amount of cash on an inferior product, would appreciate any help you guys can give me, cheers.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #27,510 of 29,490
Hi, almost didn't see this thread. :)

I want to "step up" a bit with my sound equipment. After doing some research, I'll probably buy these:

- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD (~$90)
 - AKG K-271 MKII (~$160)

I chose the sound card because it seems to be the only USB card (<- important) with an optical out (for my speakers). I'm not sure yet about the sound quality though, as there just doesn't seem to be much concurrence. Regarding the headphones, I am kinda lost in the ocean of products. I want closed or at least half-closed full-size headphones. I want to be able to wear them for a long period of time (up to 10 hours eventually), so they should be reasonably comfortable. I mostly listen to electronic music, things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSL3m8FvQs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UPCLR8-Aeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-IWRmpefzE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDvC3VmaGpY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Qfoi1pVbQ

Well, you get the idea. I am not doing any music work, so "exact" sound isn't really important to me. I do like a clean, precise sound though, if that's a thing. I'm not sure why I'm still asking here, I guess I'm just looking for some kind of conformation since that's kinda a lot of money for me. :wink: Feel free to post any product alternatives (if they aren't a lot more expensive), I'll gratefully have a closer look at all of them. Thanks in advance for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back