++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #27,481 of 29,490
Quote:
I think that, like a PC-based or portable solution, it would depend on the headphones.  Higher impedance headphones would still need an amp.

ok thanks for the quick response.

i listen to both the pc (asus z68 pro although the sounds slightly glitched not that noticeable but its there nonetheless)
and a marantz cd player currently.. although i lost my marantz player's remote and the drive shuts right after i open so it might be close to death.

i have no portable needs whatsoever, just home use pc/cd player.
so it looks like i need an amp no matter what.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #27,482 of 29,490
(Edit: Everyone's posts are size 13 font, and I can't choose that so it's 14...)

I'm looking for a headphone for music. I love my IEMs but they are old and getting worn out, and it seems like I can get a better sound for the money with full size phones.

Budget: $200-$260, £130 to £170

Source: Laptop, mp3 player. I am willing to invest in a portable amp in addition to the cost of the phones if required, and I plan on doing so anyway eventually because it always helps. I do have a Denon amplifier for at home use.

Isolation Requirements: The more isolation the better, but the sound quality is the top priority. They will be used for extended listening sessions, so I hope they are comfortable and aren't tiring to listen to.

Preferred Type:  Full sized covered.

Music: Instrumental/Chill/Dance/Triphop/Acid Jazz/Funk/Dub mostly, but sometimes rock, pop, metal, classical and jazz.

Chill/Triphop: www.youtube.com/watch?v=abhMCPe5FkY&t=1m35s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIL3u3Lurp8

Vast expanse of space with a rushing airy feeling: www.youtube.com/watch?v=60pyqbVWCKg&t=3m17s

Triphop/Acid Jazz: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfHlA_ipUp0&t=2m10s

Heavy beats: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVXHbRime5Y

Preferred Tonal Balance: I prefer a flat accurate balance, slightly warm. Sound quality over quantity. Clarity without being harsh and analytical, smooth bass without being too punchy and overpowering over other tones.

Sub-bass is considered a bonus. Priority goes to a great overall balanced sound, if deep bass can be had in addition to that, that's great, but as far as I know bass-head phones usually sacrifice other parts of the sound and I don't want that.

Past headphones: Sennheiser HD500, Jays Q-Jays.

The q-jays were my first and only $200+ pair of phones and they blew me away. I didn't know music could sound like that! I was hearing new instruments in songs I already thought I knew.

http://en.goldenears.net/3262

At 26 years old I probably can't hear sounds that high, so I wonder if 15-20k even matters. Since those are the best I've ever owned I am a biased towards their sound. I would love somebody with more experience to tell me of their shortcomings.

I don't know much about headphones, so feel free to judge and correct me, or question anything I've said. Thanks guys so much for you're help and knowledge!

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #27,483 of 29,490
Quote:
(Edit: Everyone's posts are size 13 font, and I can't choose that so it's 14...)

I'm looking for a headphone for music. I love my IEMs but they are old and getting worn out, and it seems like I can get a better sound for the money with full size phones.

Source: Laptop, mp3 player. I am willing to invest in a portable amp in addition to the cost of the phones if required, and I plan on doing so anyway eventually because it always helps.

Isolation Requirements: The more isolation the better, but the sound quality is the top priority. They will be used for extended listening sessions, so I hope they are comfortable and aren't tiring to listen to.

Music: Instrumental/Chill/Dance/Triphop/Acid Jazz/Funk/Dub mostly, but sometimes rock, pop, metal, classical and jazz.

Vast expanse of space with a rushing airy feeling: www.youtube.com/watch?v=60pyqbVWCKg&t=3m17s

Preferred Tonal Balance: I prefer a flat accurate balance, slightly warm. Sound quality over quantity. Clarity without being harsh and analytical, smooth bass without being too punchy and overpowering over other tones.

Sub-bass is considered a bonus. Priority goes to a great overall balanced sound, if deep bass can be had in addition to that, that's great, but as far as I know bass-head phones usually sacrifice other parts of the sound and I don't want that.

The q-jays were my first and only $200+ pair of phones and they blew me away. I didn't know music could sound like that! I was hearing new instruments in songs I already thought I knew.

At 26 years old I probably can't hear sounds that high, so I wonder if 15-20k even matters. Since those are the best I've ever owned I am a biased towards their sound. I would love somebody with more experience to tell me of their shortcomings.

I don't know much about headphones, so feel free to judge and correct me, or question anything I've said. Thanks guys so much for you're help and knowledge!

K550. They go for $300 but can be found these days for under $250.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #27,484 of 29,490
Quote:

Source: Laptop, mp3 player. I am willing to invest in a portable amp in addition to the cost of the phones if required, and I plan on doing so anyway eventually because it always helps.

I promise I'm not trying to be a broken record here, but the MDR-1R for that slightly warm, fairly balanced goodness and efficiency for portability. In full disclosure, I consider myself a treble and detail whore, but I'm still a very large fanboy of the 1R. InnerFidelity pushed their review out for them today and it made the Wall of Fame as well as being called "the best all around portable, around the ear headset."

I would recommend the SRH840 as well if you're wanting a somewhat warm, but fairly accurate and comfortable sound.

K550. They go for $300 but can be found these days for under $250.

Yup. This as well, although you are going to want to make sure you can get a good seal on it first as they are very very large headphones. Not very portable either. I'm seeing them go as low as $200 these days as well. Good deal.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #27,485 of 29,490
Quote:
quick question:

would an av receiver work as good as an amp? as in i could get that instead.

because i could use one for the video side of things and if i could also accomplish getting my sound needs with it as well that would be extremely good haha. 2 birds with 1 stone and all of that jazz.

or in that situation would one still need an amp even with the av receiver?

The headphone out sections of modern AV receivers are generally, but not always, poor--unlike vintage stereo receivers from sometime in the 80's and before.  By poor, I mean cheap and providing low power through the jack.  Don't count on driving even moderately demanding cans from them without testing it first.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #27,486 of 29,490
Was hoping that HE400 would be my "end game" for awhile anyway, but it's beginning to look like it may not work out. Still not giving up totally but beginning to think ahead and looking around. Here are my beefs with the HE400:

Never was down with the aesthetic. The blue just doesn't do it for me. Yet I do like the looks of HD598 and AD700 so funky ain't the problem.

Sound is too inconsistent for me. (Is that what people mean by "revealing?") One recording I think they sound great, the next, terrible.

In general, I'd say I like vocals more forward though like I say, that varies song by song.

Not a huge fan of the highs. Yes, sibilance comes into play sometimes, but more it's that they don't seem very "open" for open headphones. In this sense, I like the top end of AD700 more.

They aren't tremendously comfortable for me. Not bad, but again, I prefer my AD700 or even on ear ESW9.

Here are some that I'm considering:

AD900x - these may be the leader in the clubhouse for me, but largely because of form factor. Not sure the sound signature goes where I want.
HD600/650 - little concerned about fit here since I'm not liking the fit of HD598. Not a big fan of the look either.
DT880 - been a long time curiosity for me

LCD2/HE500 - these were what I wanted prior to settling on the HE400 but it seemed like I didn't have enough amp for them and didn't want to set off a whole new round of electronics upgrades to accommodate my headphones.

Anything I'm missing here or am off base on? There was a Shure going used for awhile that I considered before getting the HE400 but forget the model# on them. And yes, I would consider same tier trades. That or I might just admit that for now I'm just a mid-fi kind of guy.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #27,488 of 29,490
Looking to upgrade my HD555 foam-moded

Budget: <300$ (I'm in Canada)

Source: PC(flac\mp3) with my Xonar Essence STX

Type: Full sized open headphones

Uses: 70% music, 30% gaming

Music: Mostly into rock/stoner/psychedelic but some punk\ska\hardcore as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmciQJSCoCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CSsQjJXm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpv2DYrE5eo]

Sound: Like a detailed sound with a good punching bass.

Don't want to get headphones that would require an external amp.

Don't mind getting a used pair in the For Sale forums

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #27,489 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking to upgrade my HD555 foam-moded

Budget: <300$ (I'm in Canada)

Source: PC(flac\mp3) with my Xonar Essence STX

Type: Full sized open headphones

Music: Mostly into rock/stoner/psychedelic but some punk\ska\hardcore as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmciQJSCoCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CSsQjJXm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpv2DYrE5eo]

Sound: Like a detailed sound with a good punching bass.

Don't want to get headphones that would require an external amp.

Don't mind getting a used pair in the For Sale forums

Thanks!

Would you be using a desktop amp or will you rely solely on the amp from the STX (which isn't too powerful)?

I'm an idiot.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #27,491 of 29,490
I've been looking for a new set of audiophile quality headphones. I want some decently bassy ones, and I want a mic, either in-line or separate. I also want them to look nice, since I go out in public often.

I've been looking at the Logitech UE6000 and they look like a nice pick for me. Any other suggestions?

I listen to mostly metal and sometimes electronic.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #27,492 of 29,490
I've been looking for a new set of audiophile quality headphones. I want some decently bassy ones, and I want a mic, either in-line or separate. I also want them to look nice, since I go out in public often.

I've been looking at the Logitech UE6000 and they look like a nice pick for me. Any other suggestions?

I listen to mostly metal and sometimes electronic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back