++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #27,466 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,any recommendations for me?

Your rig/source:Iphone 5, Macbook, Laptop

Uses:Music,Movies

Preferred type: Headphones preferably closed

Music:All genres of music. A wide range including electronic, k-pop, contemporary, christian songs....

File format:320kbps/240kbps Mp3, AAC

Other requirements: Comfort, can be carried in backpack (not needed but a plus)

Budget: $150-200

Looking at : Ultrasone HFI-580, AKG K550, Shure SRH840

SoundMAGIC HP100, read some reviews.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #27,467 of 29,490
Quote:
What don't you like about the bass of the HD 518?

Others will have to help you with your portable amp needs.  I have only one and it has been discontinued.

the soundstage is narrow, bass bloat to mid and treble. Maybe I get the FiiO because it has a good price/performance, but i need to choose the headphone first!

Music:All genres of music. A wide range including electronic, k-pop, contemporary, christian songs....

vote Shure SRH840

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #27,469 of 29,490

Music:All genres of music.
A wide range including electronic, k-pop, contemporary, christian songs....

Will you be using an amp?

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #27,470 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
What don't you like about the bass of the HD 518?

the soundstage is narrow, bass bloat to mid and treble. Maybe I get the FiiO because it has a good price/performance, but i need to choose the headphone first!

I can understand your point--when compared to more expensive cans, but think that the system through which you heard them may be part of the issue.

For your stated bass needs in open or semi open and nuetral-ish at $150 or less, it's either them or the AKG K 240 family.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #27,471 of 29,490
Budget: 100-150

Category: Over ear headset with good noise isolation (I do not need cancellation)

Highs and mids as clear as possible for price range. I would like bass with a decent punch.

I listen to a lot of rock.
Rise against
MCR
Black Veil Brides
Papa roach
Green day
AFI
Sum 41
Breaking Benjamin

I also listen to some dubstep/rave/jump:
DJ Manian
Blackmill
Lindsey Sterling
Italo brothers, ran d vs andaro (hard jump music)
Basshutner
(I use FL Studio to make my own music as well....piano/percussion/beats primarily)

Brands I have heard:
Bose====== lacks range for price point
Able Planet== muddied bass even in the 100 dollar price range
Sennheiser== Extremely weak bass for anything 200 and under
Planttronics== Gamecome 780s have a nice bass with good highs and mids. Noise isolation is garbage. USB headset.

I need a nice analog headset for FL studio, and a lot of ipod music for the bands and DJs i listed.

I rarely listen to classical

I NEVER listen to jazz or country.

I do not listen to much pop

I pull out some frank sinatra, michael buble, and like-wise sounds every once in a blue moon. (hardly ever)

I can go up to like 100-150 USD on price range

I was thinking of the V moda crossfade LPs because the stylishness and amazon reviews drew me in, but I found the ATH m50s (Straight chord, not coiled) to have better reviews across the board except for style and bass (which most peopel said was too muddy on the crossfade lp)

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #27,474 of 29,490
Quote:
FYI the S2 probably doesn't process the sound very well (if it's anything like my Skyrocket, anyway).  Though they're not foldable, you might want to take a look at the Beyer DT770s (LE would be fully able to be driven from your phone, though the Pro models (80 and 250 Ohm) would need an amp to achieve full sound).  I preferred the sound of the 770s over the ATH-M50s when I was looking at closed cans.

I see. A friend of mine suggested that I should also purchase a portable amp if I'm going to use my Samsung S2 as a source, specifically the FiiO E12. Sorry to ask, but what what do you mean LE?

Quote:
The M50 has recessed mids, which means guitars and vocals will be recessed and it will not work well for classical music.

More neutral choices include the Shure SRH 840, KRK KNS 8400 and Sony MDR-7510.  I am not familiar with your Samsung and don't know what it will drive.  However, almost anything will drive the Sony, which is very efficient--although it is the only one of the three that is not foldable.  The older Sony [size=11.0pt]MDR-V900HD is both efficient and foldable--if you can still find one.[/size]

Alright. Thanks for the suggestions though hopefully someone will also address my issue. I'm still trying to find that will at least satisfy my need.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #27,475 of 29,490
Apr 18, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #27,476 of 29,490
I'm planning to buy my first set of quality headphones after predominantly having used cheap headsets, so I have no audiophile experience whatsoever.  Thanks for helping me out.

Headphones I've looked at so far: Mind you, I have a big head so I'm keen on comfy headphones so I don't get headaches quickly.

ath m50 -130 €
shure 440 -70 €
beyerdynamic 770 pro  -150€
sennheiser hd 558 - 130 €
sennheiser hd 598 - 160 € ( max budget)

Budget:  100€-150€

Source:  Laptop, phone , mp4

Isolation Requirements:  Mid-high isolation

Preferred Type:  Full sized

Uses:  These headphones will be used equally for gaming and music.

Games:  Battlefield 3 and other fps games and MMO's.  This is less important to me then the music portion.

Music:  Mainly instrumental music. Epic music and instrumental rock, but I listen to other genres such as dubstep and to bands like coldplay aswell. My favourite music is definitly from 2 steps from hell.

Here's a list of some epic music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Y_qI-1I6k&list=RD026O6Q1OiF6LI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0zdqeivGaU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWgUUc-oNE

Preferred Tonal Balance: No preferences, these will be my first quality headphones. I would like to feel some bass but the focus shouldn't be on it.

Past headphones:  A 30 € logitech headset.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #27,478 of 29,490
Quote:

I see. A friend of mine suggested that I should also purchase a portable amp if I'm going to use my Samsung S2 as a source, specifically the FiiO E12. Sorry to ask, but what what do you mean LE?

The DT770 Limited Edition is 32 Ohms rather than the 80 and 250 Ohm Pro models.

The E12 would work, even the cheaper E07K would work well.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #27,479 of 29,490
quick question:

would an av receiver work as good as an amp? as in i could get that instead.

because i could use one for the video side of things and if i could also accomplish getting my sound needs with it as well that would be extremely good haha. 2 birds with 1 stone and all of that jazz.

or in that situation would one still need an amp even with the av receiver?

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #27,480 of 29,490
Quote:
quick question:

would an av receiver work as good as an amp? as in i could get that instead.

because i could use one for the video side of things and if i could also accomplish getting my sound needs with it as well that would be extremely good haha. 2 birds with 1 stone and all of that jazz.

or in that situation would one still need an amp even with the av receiver?

I think that, like a PC-based or portable solution, it would depend on the headphones.  Higher impedance headphones would still need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back