++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #27,451 of 29,490
I currently own a pair of hd 598s and I'm looking to upgrade to something better. I've been looking at the he 400s and I wanted to know would they be an overall improvement to the 598s? I'm specifically looking for a bit more bass without much loss anywhere else. Any other suggestions would be helpful as well that are around in the 300-400 price range.

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #27,452 of 29,490
Ugh, my IEMs are so bad, need a pair of headphones ASAP. Tried the DT770 Pros and M-Audio Q40s and DT770 has recessed mids and medium clamp whereas I did like the sound of the Q40s but for me clamp was unbearable. How hard can it be to find circumaural headphones that are good for EDM that have a light clamp and are friendly to those of us with big ears / glasses?

:frowning2:

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #27,453 of 29,490
Quote:
whoa! i was reading up on that thread you linked and this really seems like it could be the one i'm looking for:

sennheiser hd600

i would have to save up a little more but it might be the perfect one i'm seeking.

this would be a nice step up from the a900x level, correct?

STRENGTHS
EXCELLENT TONE: I adore the tone of the HD600. The bass, mids and treble are beautifully integrated. The tone is very close to neutral, featuring a pinch of extra warmth and body.

MIDS: The HD600 has a slightly forward midrange that adds weight to vocals. There are no odd peaks or dips here. Simply put, the HD600 possesses a very natural midrange.

GENRE MASTER: The HD600 is ready to serve its listener. Whether you like pop, classical, rock, hip hop, r&b, jazz, funk, blues, country, electronic, dance, world, etc. it will be a worthy purchase for you.

TRANSPARENT: While the HD600 lacks the speed and agility of electrostatic headphones, and although the HD600 doesn't offer quite the depth of several top-flight dynamic headphones, the HD600 is still a highly transparent headphone.

BASS: Some people will ultimately prefer the bass response of the HD600 to its younger sibling, the HD650. The HD600 has a leaner, yet more neutral bass response when compared with the HD650. The two headphones are largely similar, but it is in the bass presentation as well as the lower-mids where the two Sennheiser models reveal their most obvious differences.

NOT TOO AMP PICKY: With a nominal impedance rating of 300 ohms, the HD600 really does benefit from amplification. However, I have found that this headphone is not particularly amp picky. It sounds fantastic When paired with most of the amps with which I've used it. Furthermore, it sounds particularly good when connected in balanced mode.

COMFORT: The oval-shaped earpads are made of generously plush velour material. This helps make the HD600 a very comfortable headphone to wear. I prefer an oval shape to a round shape because an oval is more form-fitted to the human ear. I have used the HD600 for several hours without break. I have not a single complaint with regard to its comfort-level.

The HD 600 is one of those venerable classics that stand up to the test of time.  It's an outstanding can out of the box.  It scales up with better amps.  You can upgrade the cable easily and, replacing it with the HD 650 cable--very cheaply.  It is clearly a major step up from a good can that you have now.

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #27,454 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
These are all decent cans within about a $40 to $50 price range.  Your questions seem to be better placed with regard to cans 2 or 3 times this price range.  To be blunt: what are you really expecting for $50 or less?!

Perhaps the better question, and one you have not asked, is: which will work best from your source which will be driving them?  That is critical if you are using something with very low power, such as on board computer audio.

I'm planning on using them unamped on a tv if possible.

Look up the specs on each and get the one with the lowest Ohm rating and the highest sensitivity rating.

[size=12.0pt]If you’re looking for headphones to use with a portable player or laptop--and certainly out of a TV, stick to the range of 16 – 32 ohms with a sensitivity (efficiency) rating of at least 100 dB/mW.[/size]

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #27,455 of 29,490
Quote:
Can't find much comparing them all but people generally seem pretty divided between them. I might just play it safe and go V6 cos they're cheaper than the other two by a fair amount.

I do acknowledge there is somewhat of a debate as to which of these is a better can. That being said, I personally have heard little to no measurable difference between the 7506 and V6 (haven't tried the 7510). That's just what my ears tell me. Others may feel different and that's completely valid. For me, I have no problems recommending the V6 over the 7506, though.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #27,456 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently own a pair of hd 598s and I'm looking to upgrade to something better. I've been looking at the he 400s and I wanted to know would they be an overall improvement to the 598s? I'm specifically looking for a bit more bass without much loss anywhere else. Any other suggestions would be helpful as well that are around in the 300-400 price range.

You'll get more bass, but the mids of the HE 400 are a little bit funky--especially when compared to your Senn.  Others to consider: DT 880 & HD 600 and bassier HD 650.  All need an amp.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #27,457 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, I've decided on the Beyerdynamic DT770.  The high resistance ones are cheaper, and I intend to get a DAC/AMP with the rest of my budget anyways.  Should I go with the higher resistance one?  Does higher resistance improve sound quality?

If you can't power the higher ohm versions properly, you should shy away from them. The DT770 Pro 80ohm is a very nice version and it only takes something like a E07K/E09K or Schiit Mangi/Modi to power them properly.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #27,460 of 29,490
Quote:
Ouch... are there any other (cheaper) stacks or combined DAC/Amplifiers that will get the job done?

The E07K by itself works well too as does the E10.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #27,462 of 29,490
i didn't really want to get into the whole amp/dac stuff as i've read up on it and it just gave me a headache with all the different options and it started to look real expensive! with say a 300 dollar pair of headphones and then 200-250 more for the amp/dac minimum, that's a bit much hehe but i guess if that's the next step up, then i might have to start looking into it.

The nice thing about all the electronics voodoo is that it can go by and large ignored... Unless you want to delve into it. The only thing you really need to pay attention to is does amp x have enough oomph to drive the headphone I want? After that it quickly becomes nuance and application. Application meaning things such as, "A computer is my source. Therefore, I want a dac as well as amp."

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #27,463 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't want to rain on your sale, but new ones are available from Amazon Prime for $63 shipped.

You are correct--only the last two cans I listed are open--the HD 518 and SR 125i.  I thought about listing the AD900, but it's above his budget.  The challenge is to get "quality" bass from an open can in this price range.  While it still might not be enough bass, the best bets for that are the Senn and AKG.  The problem with the AKG is that it really isn't quite efficient enough to use straight out of a laptop (in most cases) without an amp.  The Senn is on the border line.

Bottom line within his budget: get an amp, the Grado (if it has enough bass), gamble that your laptop will drive the Senn, or go to a closed can.

Can some FiiO amps drive the AKGs well? I will upgrade the DAC/amps soon if it's really need!
I don't like the bass of HD518

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #27,464 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Don't want to rain on your sale, but new ones are available from Amazon Prime for $63 shipped.

You are correct--only the last two cans I listed are open--the HD 518 and SR 125i.  I thought about listing the AD900, but it's above his budget.  The challenge is to get "quality" bass from an open can in this price range.  While it still might not be enough bass, the best bets for that are the Senn and AKG.  The problem with the AKG is that it really isn't quite efficient enough to use straight out of a laptop (in most cases) without an amp.  The Senn is on the border line.

Bottom line within his budget: get an amp, the Grado (if it has enough bass), gamble that your laptop will drive the Senn, or go to a closed can.

Can some FiiO amps drive the AKGs well? I will upgrade the DAC/amps soon if it's really need!
I don't like the bass of HD518

What don't you like about the bass of the HD 518?

Others will have to help you with your portable amp needs.  I have only one and it has been discontinued.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #27,465 of 29,490
Hi,any recommendations for me?

Your rig/source:Iphone 5, Macbook, Laptop

Uses:Music,Movies

Preferred type: Headphones preferably closed

Music:All genres of music. A wide range including electronic, k-pop, contemporary, christian songs....

File format:320kbps/240kbps Mp3, AAC

Other requirements: Comfort, can be carried in backpack (not needed but a plus)

Budget: $150-200

Looking at : Ultrasone HFI-580, AKG K550, Shure SRH840

Users who are viewing this thread

Back