++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #27,421 of 29,490
Wasn't aware that there is this consolidated thread.
Made a separate post when first joined (Note: my apologies to the forum moderators).

Do not want to pump my thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/658899/is-v-moda-m-100-right-for-me#post_9335356

Looking forward to further advices.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #27,422 of 29,490
Quote:
OK--an open semi-open or open can about the same price as the M50 (when not on sale), no amp and neutral-ish & balanced sound signture.

Sony MDR-7510, Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-A900X, Senn HD 518, Grado SR 125i (forward on stage with band Grado house wall of sound).

still looking for an open/semi-open fullsize...bump

Type: open/semi-open
sound sign: neutral, balanced. Enough and quality BASS (not basshead so don't need quantity), detail and clear MID and HIGH
source: laptop (dac/amp later)
music genres: various genres
budget around $150

Im considering AKG K240 MKII 

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #27,423 of 29,490
Quote:

sound sign: neutral, balanced. Enough and quality BASS (not basshead so don't need quantity), detail and clear MID and HIGH
budget around $150

I have a K-240 Studio for sale

Some of the other cans you linked, though (specifically the A900X) are closed.  The open ones are the AD900X.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #27,425 of 29,490
No responses with my last post, did I leave something out?  If I did please let me know... I really need some help.  I tried to clean up the post, make it a little more clear.

I'm looking for a headphone similar in size/shape/function as the ATH-M50's, no more then $275.  I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATHESW9A, does anyone have any experience with these?

The following are my requirements.

Budget:  Hard limit of $275

Source:  Laptop Jack

Isolation Requirements:  Mid-high isolation

Preferred Type:  Full sized

Uses:  These headphones will be used equally for gaming and music.

-Games:  Primarily League of Legends, a little FPS (Team Fortress 2).  This is less important to me then the music portion.

-Music:  

-Primarily progressive rock (this band specifically, I tried to find two songs that best covered their sound spectrum)

1.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMiOTt3-dq4&  (Coheed and Cambria-Goodnight Fair Lady)

2.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Ls7RQBq_E& (Coheed and Cambria-Dark Side of Me)

-Some Ska:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOqenYis1iQ& (Streetlight Manifesto-We Will Fall Together)

-Some post rock:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfkUUkEGtc& (it's long, listen to 7:35-8:25 for a good overview.  Godspeed You!  Black Emperor-East Hastings)

-Some DnB/Electro-House:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogMNV33AhCY (Pendulum-Witchcraft)

-A little Tech-death (I won't make you guys listen to that)

Preferred Tonal Balance:  Judging from above, probably either balanced or a solid mid range, but if better ears then mine think its indicative of stronger base/highs, feel free to recommend for that.

Past headphones:  Audio Technica ATH-M50.  Not much can be said here that hasn't been said before.  I will say that I really like how comfortable they are.  I can wear them for hours without discomfort.

Misc:  These will be used at home only, so I'd prefer a large (not touching the ears), closed headphone with high isolation.  

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #27,426 of 29,490
Quote:
what is difference between k240 studio and k240 mkii?

The Studios don't come with all of the extras that the Mk-II's come with (velour pads and a second cable).  Other than that, I think they're identical.

Some references:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/507445/akg-k240-or-k240-mk-ii/15#post_7194637

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K240MKII-STUDIO-STANDARD-55OHM/dp/B0016MNBAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290983830&sr=1-1 (first review)

If that Amazon picture is accurate, the color scheme is different as well.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #27,427 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

budget around $150

I have a K-240 Studio for sale

Some of the other cans you linked, though (specifically the A900X) are closed.  The open ones are the AD900X.

Don't want to rain on your sale, but new ones are available from Amazon Prime for $63 shipped.

You are correct--only the last two cans I listed are open--the HD 518 and SR 125i.  I thought about listing the AD900, but it's above his budget.  The challenge is to get "quality" bass from an open can in this price range.  While it still might not be enough bass, the best bets for that are the Senn and AKG.  The problem with the AKG is that it really isn't quite efficient enough to use straight out of a laptop (in most cases) without an amp.  The Senn is on the border line.

Bottom line within his budget: get an amp, the Grado (if it has enough bass), gamble that your laptop will drive the Senn, or go to a closed can.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #27,428 of 29,490
Quote:
No responses with my last post, did I leave something out?  If I did please let me know... I really need some help.  I tried to clean up the post, make it a little more clear.

I'm looking for a headphone similar in size/shape/function as the ATH-M50's, no more then $275.  I've been looking at the Audio Technica ATHESW9A, does anyone have any experience with these?

The following are my requirements.

Budget:  Hard limit of $275

Source:  Laptop Jack

-Games:  Primarily League of Legends, a little FPS (Team Fortress 2).  This is less important to me then the music portion.

-Music:  

-Primarily progressive rock (this band specifically, I tried to find two songs that best covered their sound spectrum)

1.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMiOTt3-dq4&  (Coheed and Cambria-Goodnight Fair Lady)

2.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Ls7RQBq_E& (Coheed and Cambria-Dark Side of Me)

-Some Ska:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOqenYis1iQ& (Streetlight Manifesto-We Will Fall Together)

-Some post rock:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfkUUkEGtc& (it's long, listen to 7:35-8:25 for a good overview.  Godspeed You!  Black Emperor-East Hastings)

-Some DnB/Electro-House:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogMNV33AhCY (Pendulum-Witchcraft)

-A little Tech-death (I won't make you guys listen to that)

Preferred Tonal Balance:  Judging from above, probably either balanced or a solid mid range, but if better ears then mine think its indicative of stronger base/highs, feel free to recommend for that.

Past headphones:  Audio Technica ATH-M50.  Not much can be said here that hasn't been said before.  I will say that I really like how comfortable they are.  I can wear them for hours without discomfort.

Misc:  These will be used at home only, so I'd prefer a large (not touching the ears), closed headphone with high isolation.  

I don't remember how the mids are on the M50s, but I preferred the Beyerdynamic DT770s (80 Ohm) when I tried them both side by side.  Very, very comfortable.  V-shaped signature, I think others have said.

One thing I would recommend, though, is that you take some of your budget and spend it on some sort of external DAC (with an amp, probably) for your laptop.  Laptops have notoriously bad sound chips.  Something like a Fiio E07K/E17, iBasso D-Zero, or even a Xonar U3 if you didn't want the option of taking it with you for your iPod/MP3 player would benefit you greatly.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #27,429 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't want to rain on your sale, but new ones are available from Amazon Prime for $63 shipped.

You are correct--only the last two cans I listed are open--the HD 518 and SR 125i.  I thought about listing the AD900, but it's above his budget.  The challenge is to get "quality" bass from an open can in this price range.  While it still might not be enough, the best bets for that are the Senn and AKG.  The problem with the AKG is that it really isn't quite efficient enough to use straight out of a laptop (in most cases) without an amp.  The Senn is on the border line.

I know, and I'm actually lowering the price later today when I can bump the sale thread.  The benefit of mine over the Amazon ones, though, is the second cable which the stock Studios do not come with.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #27,430 of 29,490
hello,

a quick backstory before i begin.
(sorry for the long story but i felt it was important to sort of understand my situation for recommendation)

first off, i'm not an audiophile purist in that i don't have the greatest musical ear and also don't have a need for the absolute best/perfection... i'm probably somewhere in between the true audiophile and the casual.
this means i don't need a thousand dollar pair of headphones combined with a thousand dollar amp/dac, and then a complete audio setup with speakers/receiver, etc.
as to musical tastes there isn't really a boundary on that, i listen to all forms of sound from the pop song to a natural sound recording of a subway station/the ocean and everything in between.

alright to my present situation.

i just recently started taking my sound listening serious (on my level aforementioned) and i went ahead and bought the audio-technica ad700 which was about $160 at the time i bought it (maybe 3-4 years ago?) which was the most i'd ever considered spending on headphones as i didn't think it made that much difference in the past.
so... i wasn't blown away or anything but i was happy with the headphones, they were comfortable and gave a very nice sound on the vocals aspect and also worked fairly well with my tv watching.
clearly there was a difference between using this and some $20 dollar walmart headphones but again i wasn't so impacted to where i'd consider going to a more expensive pair.

ok, so then a week ago the audio-technica a900x went on sale and i had some spare cash and so i went ahead and jumped on the deal.

present time, needless to say i'm pretty blown away by these headphones.

in the past i've mainly been a vocal fan and i didn't care much about instrumentals, i'd hear people talking about the bass playing on that song was awesome and i'd be thinking "is the instruments that important?" because i was all about the vocals, and now i realize i didn't care much about the instrumentals because i wasn't hearing them properly as i've now started to with these new headphones, i'm sure many people have been in this situation where it's like listening to your collection for the first time again and you're noticing/hearing stuff you didn't even realize.
now i'm not just hearing and appreciating the vocal parts but i'm hearing the bass/the drums along with it, etc.

i'm excited about this, as it's sort of rejuvenated my interest in sound and i've been on a tear listening to everything i can get my hands on.

however

as much as these headphones have been a positive experience, it's not quite there where i'd be completely satisfied.. i just feel like there's another level i can reach with the sound.. and also while the headphones are comfortable they feel somewhat cheap on the ears and the ears make some noise when you move your head a bit or adjust them, etc.

so this brings me to a point of wanting to go a level higher, i don't have the money right now but i plan to start saving and using these headphones for right now.

my question is what would take me to the next level in the 200-300 dollar range? to where it would be a noticeable increase... or is this the best i'm going to get in that price range?
i'd like something that does a better job overall of really capturing the pureness of the sound on all aspects, the instrumental/vocals with no sort of distortion/buzz/hiss, etc.

i don't know if i'm explaining that as best as i can, i just want to bathe in the bliss of sound in every angle... i don't want it to be all bass, or pure vocals but i want it all to come together to where you're right there with the bass, with the vocals, with the guitar and all at once but also separate.
with a variety of music as well, i mainly listen to shoegaze/dreampop/triphop.. 90s alt rock, etc.
stuff like lamb/dot allison/julee cruise/sonic youth/my bloody valentine/cocteau twins/pati yang/smashing pumpkins/this mortal coil/mazzy star... indie stuff, but also pretty much everything else as well from soundtrack music, to breakbeat/drum&bass/dub/folk/singer-songwriter/90s rap/80s, i mean basically everything... the one thing i absolutely don't like is techno music and the various forms of techno like house/instrumental dance/hardcore techno, etc.. anything that has that same beat that every techno song has, and i don't listen to the purist country forms (but i do listen some stuff that has a country vibe to it just not the pure country)

haha.

if anyone was patient enough to read all of that, then you're the type of person i would respect their opinion so hopefully someone has an idea for me.
appreciate it, thanks.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #27,432 of 29,490
I'm planning to buy my first set of quality headphones after predominantly having used cheap headsets, so I have no audiophile experience whatsoever. After doing some research I think the ath m50 might be suited for me, but then again they have been out there for so long . I'm also considering the hd 558 or the hd 598, which is 30€ and sells at 160€. Thanks for helping me out.

Budget:  100€-150€

Source:  Laptop, phone , mp4

-Games:  Battlefield 3 and other fps games and MMO's.  This is less important to me then the music portion.

-Music:  Mainly instrumental music. Epic music and instrumental rock, but I listen to other genres such as dubstep and to bands like coldplay aswell. My favourite music is definitly from 2 steps from hell.

Here's a list of some epic music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Y_qI-1I6k&list=RD026O6Q1OiF6LI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0zdqeivGaU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWgUUc-oNE

Preferred Tonal Balance: No preferences, these will be my first quality headphones. I would like to feel some bass but the focus shouldn't be on it.

Past headphones:  A 30 € logitech headset.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #27,433 of 29,490
Quote:

I don't remember how the mids are on the M50s, but I preferred the Beyerdynamic DT770s (80 Ohm) when I tried them both side by side.  Very, very comfortable.  V-shaped signature, I think others have said.

One thing I would recommend, though, is that you take some of your budget and spend it on some sort of external DAC (with an amp, probably) for your laptop.  Laptops have notoriously bad sound chips.  Something like a Fiio E07K/E17, iBasso D-Zero, or even a Xonar U3 if you didn't want the option of taking it with you for your iPod/MP3 player would benefit you greatly.

I understand that these are EXTREMELY base heavy.  Do the mids really suffer that much?  How do they compare with the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A's I mentioned?

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #27,435 of 29,490

Superlux HD 681 vs Samson SR850 vs Superlux HD 668B

I would like to know the differences between these headphones, i'm considering on ordering them tomorrow.
Their differences as in.

Soundstage:  largest soundstage and the most accurate sound positioning/separation

Base: How Prominent is it, as well as its characteristics, such as Slow and Smooth vs Punchy/Tight and Fast

Mids: how pronounced are they, as well as their sound quality

Highs: Their sound quality, as well has how prominent they are

Clarity and Detail: What more can I say?

Supposedly, the mids on  Superlux HD 681 are weak from what I have heard.
However, from searching other threads these headphones somehow have the largest and most accurate soundstage ,

I'm really confused on which ones to get, if someone could clear up the differences between them, I would really appreciate it.

The purpose of these headphones is gaming, specifically first person shooters (COD and  BF3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back