++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #27,392 of 29,490
Quote:
Would the M-Audio Q40's be a downgrade from the V-MODA Crossfade LPs? I love bass btw, I love feeling the bass vibrate my ears :)

No, the Q40s would be an upgrade to the Crossfade LPs. I did not like the LPs at all imo, tried to like the lp2 but just couldnt. Lots of muffled bass. They're a fun pair of headphones though. The Q40 with a FiiO E11 will shake your skull, seriously. 

I see you have the LP. Get the Q40 and the E11. You will love them to death! Replace your LPs with the Q40s. You will be happy you did :)

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #27,397 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for headphones around $500 that are 'all rounders' and do not require serious (high end) amplification to come close to top performance. In particular, I'm looking for headphones that can produce beautiful female vocals, with a more laid back sound. They must also be closed headphones because of living concerns (don't want to disturb others). Comfort, high build quality, and conveniences like detachable cables are a plus. Any recommendations under the price threshold are also appreciated.

$500 is a budget and any recommendations for less will also be appreciated; I needn't spend every last penny of the $500, since the remainder will stay in my pocket, and perhaps go to a good amp. Please mention any notable headphone-amp combos that may also fit the bill.

Good choices that fit all or most or your requirements are limited.

The Shure SRH 940 is perhaps the best fit, but needs and amp (of which there are many options).

The Sony MDR-7520 is an excellent can, although some might not like its made for studio professionals sound signature.

The Audio Technica ATH-W1000X woody is also worthy of consideration.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #27,398 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Question #1--my impression is that it's either a downgrade or a side step, depending on what's most important.  However, you best ask that to another basshead.

Question #2:  The HE 300 is OK but basically an also ran.  It is not an ortho like its big bros.  Probably more important for you is that is not a basshead can of any stripe.

I see. I guess the he-300 is crossed off the list. Do you know any other bassy headphones that have almost the same (or the same) amount of bass as the 900?

Nope--not my thing.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #27,399 of 29,490
Aye, Don't know if I get or answer or not but I sure hope I do.
Birthday is coming up, and I've decided to finally buy a good pair of headphones that will hopefully run better than my Beats Studio. I mainly listen to electronic music like:
Dubstep; Omnitica, Pegboard Nerds, Getter, Knife Party, Kdrew, Nero, Porter Robinson, Zedd, Tristam, Major Lazer, Tut Tut Child, Ephixa, etc.
Chillstep: Kill Paris, MiTiS, MrSuicideSheep(Youtube channel I use for music)
Trance/House/Techno; Tiesto, ATB, Daft Punk, Kascade, and Monstercat.
Basically all types of EDM. I do sometimes listen to other genres like Gorillaz, Band Of Horses, Avenged Sevenfold, and so forth.
I'm mainly stuck between 2 pairs of cans that right now have the same price. With the purchase, I will be also getting the Digizoid ZO2 to make sure my bass isn't uncontrolled and is satisfied.
Headphones:
V-Moda M-100 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A39PPDK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=16VM28CEGTEVWK84JKHG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846
vs
Ultrasone Pro 900 http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-900-Professional-Headphones/dp/B001F00F0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366150610&sr=8-1&keywords=Ultrasone+pro+900%5C
Please don't recommend other pairs of headphones unless you truly think it can beat these 2 headphones in the same price range. (200-300$)
Being nearly worth 600$, the Ultrasones are on sale for about 295$ at the moment, while the V-Modas are the same price. I was almost certain that I was going to get the Pros, but after reading many many reviews, I see that the bass is absolutely incredible, but the mids are not there and the quality sound is not so good. With the V-Modas, I've have not heard many negative comments at all! This makes me very nervous about the Ultrasones, and curisosity has hit me. Will the V-Modas be a better choice for sound quality and bass? Or do the Ultrasones beat the V-Modas with quality and bass? Really hope I can get some answers soon, birthday isn't too far away. 
Cheers,
-Mr Pineappleman 

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #27,403 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The ortho HE 400 has a sensitivity rating of 92.5 dB--so I wouldn't buy it without a decent amp.

Hi

Would the Audioengine D1 be suffice as i have that one. i will be ordering from headphones.com.au i also looked at the Matrix M-Stage

I'm not specifically familiar with that amp.  However, by plugging the specs of the cans into the tool at the bottom of this page should give you an answer--provided you know the specs of the amp:

http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #27,404 of 29,490
Hi, I'm new here.

I currently have Sennheiser EH 150s and I'm looking for new headphones.  My budget is $50-$75, these headphones will be used for gaming and music. I listen to EDM, DnB, some dubstep, a little rock, and a little rap.  I'm planning on getting an Antlion Modmic to attach to whichever headphones I buy.  Also, comfort is pretty important to me, but I probably won't be wearing these for more than an hour or two at a time.

I've been looking at the JVC HA-S500s, they're reviewed exceptionally well and are right in my price range. They're technically supra-aural, but I've tried a set that a friend had, and my ears fit fully inside the ear cups. I like the idea of being able to use them outside as well as on my computer, but outside use is not a necessity.  If it helps, I have a USB Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card hooked up to my PC.  For (possible) outside use they would just be hooked up to my phone (Samsung Galaxy Reverb).

Are the JVC-S500s a good/my best option? If not, what do you recommend?

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #27,405 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm new here.

I currently have Sennheiser EH 150s and I'm looking for new headphones.  My budget is $50-$75, these headphones will be used for gaming and music. I listen to EDM, DnB, some dubstep, a little rock, and a little rap.  I'm planning on getting an Antlion Modmic to attach to whichever headphones I buy.  Also, comfort is pretty important to me, but I probably won't be wearing these for more than an hour or two at a time.

I've been looking at the JVC HA-S500s, they're reviewed exceptionally well and are right in my price range. They're technically supra-aural, but I've tried a set that a friend had, and my ears fit fully inside the ear cups. I like the idea of being able to use them outside as well as on my computer, but outside use is not a necessity.  If it helps, I have a USB Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card hooked up to my PC.  For (possible) outside use they would just be hooked up to my phone (Samsung Galaxy Reverb).

Are the JVC-S500s a good/my best option? If not, what do you recommend?

CAL! is the king of that price range--at least when it falls into it as it does now.

However, you can't abuse them as they are not built for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back