++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #27,136 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogw 

I don't have a price range as long as its reasonably justified and I'm looking for a bassy pair of cans

"Beats" are bassy but the price is not really justifiable because all they do is just bass and sub-bass and not very musically at that.  

For something with a solid low-end Sony MDR-V700s are pretty bottom heavy with ridiculous isolation (if that's a concern).  They are good DJ headphones; I've gigged with them.  They clamp on you're head a bit though.  

ATH M-50s are quite bass-forward but still have some depth (depending on your source) but not a a lot of breadth.  The top end can be a bit strident but usually it balances out the bottom.  The mids are recessed. I think they sound quite a bit better than the Sony V700s and are usually much cheaper.  I have owned and used both.  

At a couple steps up: I have read that some of the Dennon cans are very bassy.  Having never listened to them myself I can't really comment.

Hope that helps in some way.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #27,140 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I'm afraid that we lost each other along the way.

In your opening post, you said that you wanted these cans to be very easy to drive, but also mentioned your Leckerton, which can drive at least an HD 650, according to reviews.  Do you mean easy to drive from your Leckerton, or easy to drive without an amp, or something else entirely?

Yes, I would like something easy to drive, preferably from my Leckerton.  I consider anything under 100 Ohms and over 90 dbspl/mw easy to drive.  There may be some wiggle room in there as I have never listened to a can in the 100-299 Ohm range on my amp but it's been my experience that once you get over 80ohms you start to push beyond what you might call the "optimal playing load" of the MKii.  A100 Ohm can will produce sound at a deafening level on the MKii but it loses depth and separation.  The HD-650s at 300ohms will get loud enough to listen to on the MKii but they just aren't juiced up enough to reproduce their full signature.  They sound ok but sorta flat, choked, and a bit dull.  I have heard, like you, that some people use the 650 with the MKii but I would wager that these folks jack up their DAP's preamp to 11 to create the impression of more drive...that or, they just like the sound.   It wasn't for me on that amp, any way.
Quote:
You seem to say that you want closed cans.  Is that correct?

As I understand it, you are additionally looking for:

- Very comfortable.  Truly circumaural (I can fit my dumbos under it)
- Nice depth and soundstage.  Sounds like an open-back - breathy, open, and non-fatiguing -  without everyone around me thinking the same (closed back isolation is a plus in my books).
- Very pleasant, balanced mids. 
- Fast. 
- Extremely clear highs.
- Decent bass detail.

and would also like (in comparison to your T70 P):

- More low and sub bass without sacrificing punch and articulation.
- A little less on the crystal-shattering highs.
- A tiny bit more low-mid purr and mid-range syrupy sweetness.

Yes?

Yes to all of the above.  

Quote:
Your budget is under $800--correct?

Yes, but this isn't Brewster's Millions... I don't have to spend the entire $800 if what works can be gotten for less.
wink_face.gif

Thanks again,

B

The only closed can of which I know that ticks all your boxes is the (more than twice your budget) Fostex TH900.

Those that come closest within your budget are the Sony MDR-7520, Kenwood KH-K1000 (f you can still find one), or used D5000 or D7000 (Fostex made little bros of the TH900 for Denon).

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #27,143 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Will do.

I am stopping to demo them, and also to demo the Sennheisers I linked.  Too bad I can't do it side by side, but that's ok.

I will post back with my results, unless of course I fall in love with one of them.

While the memory is fresh:

Listened to the Grado line up to and including the 225. I may get roasted for this, and it may just be my ears, but I think I preferred the SR80i out of the whole bunch.

The 225s seemed veiled to me, like it was playing through foam or something like that (even though it's pads are very open). The pads were not comfortable, but they can be changed. I'm not sure if it was the pair I got or my phone, but it didn't sound quite right. Definitely not as bright, but also not as clear.

Listened to the same tracks on each of the 4 pair both with and without the aid of my fiio e6. Flac sounded way better than mp3 in all cases, interestingly, but that may be the band rather than the compression as I do not have the same songs in both format on this phone.

Off to try the Sennheisers next.

I'm not sure how to process that.  I have to think that you had a bad 225i or a bad source.  I have never heard the 80i sound better than the two steps above it 225i.  However, I never use them with my phone to listen to music.  I have never heard the 225i to be veiled.  "Wall of sound"--yes (which is also a characteristic of the 80i).  But veiled--no.

All these Grados have the same Ohm and sensitivity ratings.  So that should not be a factor

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #27,145 of 29,490
I'm not sure how to process that.  I have to think that you had a bad 225i or a bad source.  I have never heard the 80i sound better than the two steps above it 225i.  However, I never use them with my phone to listen to music.  I have never heard the 225i to be veiled.  "Wall of sound"--yes (which is also a characteristic of the 80i).  But veiled--no.

All these Grados have the same Ohm and sensitivity ratings.  So that should not be a factor

That's what I've been thinking too. There's no way they should have sounded worse to me, so I have to conclude that it was either the headphones themselves or the adapter (a possibility, as I thought the 125s using the same adapter sounded off as well)

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #27,147 of 29,490
Well what is your question?

I'm looking for a pair of headphones with no budget at all.

Music: dubstep, house, rock, some pop
Environment: school bus, noisy home, outdoors.
Will be powered by my iPhone 4S, also looking for a good amp+DAC combo to go with headphones.

I am a total bass head but can appreciate good mids and highs.

What can you guys come up with?

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #27,149 of 29,490
I'm looking for a pair of headphones with no budget at all.

Music: dubstep, house, rock, some pop
Environment: school bus, noisy home, outdoors.
Will be powered by my iPhone 4S, also looking for a good amp+DAC combo to go with headphones.

I am a total bass head but can appreciate good mids and highs.

What can you guys come up with?

Id say the ath ws99 or Sony mdr 1r.. The ws99 might be technically better. They should be in stock on Amazon (from the seller Amazon) ext week (ws99)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back