++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 8, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #27,032 of 29,490
what are the best headphones in terms of sound quality under 200$ out there? I already have the M50s but they have bad soundstage and they hurt my ears after listening to them for a long time. I'm looking at something superior in sound quality, soundstage, and comfort under 200$.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #27,034 of 29,490
I've had ATH m50s and loved them, but did not enjoy wearing them. 

I've had the Vmoda M80s and they were great, but to my ears there was a bit of distortion in certain blues-ey types of music in the mid bass range.

I tried a pair of Sony 7506s and, to my ears, they sounded better than either of the others, in a clinically sharp kind of way.

But I keep going back to my Etymotic MC5s. I dont find them to be lacking in bass at all.

Im looking for a set of open or closed headphones that I can use at home to listen to a very wide range of music ranging from classical, to hip hop to the black keys and white stripes. I use a Fii0 e6 on a 4th g Nano.

Ive been looking closely at the Allessandro Ms1i's or some Grados in the sub $150 range for home use, and Ety HF5s for portables.

Can anyone make a good recommendation please?

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #27,035 of 29,490
heya, i have a friend who is putting together an album and needs a pair of headphones for editing. he doesnt care about how good they sound for playback, he just wants them to be as accurate and revealing as possible in the $300-500 range. im not sure what to recommend, as i have never really looked for this in a headphone before, does anyone have some recommendations?  ive heard mixed things about the he-400 and the k-701 in this context....

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #27,036 of 29,490
What is your budget?

Anywhere up to £150 GBP (Great British Pounds)

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

No; I want closed cans for sure

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

I will be using them on my computer with a Xonar DG sound card

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

320kbps MP3s and FLACs in the future

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

I listen mainly to EDM, rap, hip-hop, R&B, dubstep etc. but I do listen to stuff like pop, rock, Kpop and acoustic every now and again

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

No, I want headphones that are preferably circumaural and are generally described as being suitable for longer listening sessions, hence I'd expect heavier/bigger headphones that wouldn't be very practical for using outdoors, but I guess it couldn't hurt if they'd work with my Nexus 4 phone :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #27,037 of 29,490
What is your budget?

Anywhere up to £150 GBP (Great British Pounds)

No; I want closed cans for sure

I will be using them on my computer with a Xonar DG sound card

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

320kbps MP3s and FLACs in the future

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

I listen mainly to EDM, rap, hip-hop, R&B, dubstep etc. but I do listen to stuff like pop, rock, Kpop and acoustic every now and again

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

No, I want headphones that are preferably circumaural and are generally described as being suitable for longer listening sessions, hence I'd expect heavier/bigger headphones that wouldn't be very practical for using outdoors, but I guess it couldn't hurt if they'd work with my Nexus 4 phone :)

Beyerdynamic DT770 pro80, custom one pro, ue6000, mdr1r, especially the dt770s!

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #27,040 of 29,490
Hello all,

I'm looking for advice to buy a good (for me) pair of headphones.

Here are the requirements :

I mostly listen to dance/electronic music, so I need GOOD bass (no rap and hip/hop).

I prefer to have a closed design since I will be using it in planes and noisy environments.

I have an in ear denon C751 and I like it a lot, if it can help, I tried an AKG 518 DJ LE and it was quite good for me despite not being closed and "foldable".

The "full size" or "portable" is not really important, I can carry both...so I have posted this request in both threads :)

Regarding the price of course the lower the better, I don't care AT ALL about the brand, the color, the design, it's to listen to music, not to express my personallity to others (so i guess the beats are disqualified already :) )

Thanks a lot for the help

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #27,041 of 29,490
Quote:
U are amazing!

I prefer the sense of scale that open backs give me... How different are the sound stages between these?

Be aware that both Beyers come with recessed mids.  If that is important to you the DT 880 is the best and most neutral choice.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_DT880

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #27,042 of 29,490
Quote:
what are the best headphones in terms of sound quality under 200$ out there? I already have the M50s but they have bad soundstage and they hurt my ears after listening to them for a long time. I'm looking at something superior in sound quality, soundstage, and comfort under 200$.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #27,043 of 29,490
Quote:
heya, i have a friend who is putting together an album and needs a pair of headphones for editing. he doesnt care about how good they sound for playback, he just wants them to be as accurate and revealing as possible in the $300-500 range. im not sure what to recommend, as i have never really looked for this in a headphone before, does anyone have some recommendations?  ive heard mixed things about the he-400 and the k-701 in this context....

Sony MDR-7520.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back