++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #27,017 of 29,490
Are grado 225's a safe choice for the treble sensitive? I have read that they have a bit of a treble rolloff. Can anyone confirm?

If you are treble sensitive and have experience with these headphones, please let us know.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #27,018 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hopefully someone with the Sansa Clip Zip and the t50rp can give you a definitive answer.  Until then, both buying guides rate the t50rp as a "2", so it is probably in the range of just OK to just not OK. 

What is the Ohm and sensitivity ratings of these cans?

Where are these guides you speak of?

They are linked in the opening post of this thread.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #27,019 of 29,490
Quote:
Are grado 225's a safe choice for the treble sensitive? I have read that they have a bit of a treble rolloff. Can anyone confirm?

If you are treble sensitive and have experience with these headphones, please let us know.

None of the Grados are a safe choice for the treble sensitive. 

I have seen complaints about the treble for each can in the SR line as being harsh, sibilant or both.  The only way to tell for sure is put a pair on your head and listen.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #27,021 of 29,490
Hey there,

I am a new head-fier that trying to find a proper headphone for me -for 3 months I am doing research- at this point. I need your advices before I go mad. Please help me.

I am listening classical, jazz and acoustic music mostly. Female vocals have a giant emphasize. I've spent lots of time as musician and also I am familiar with sound systems so imho, you should not consider me as a beginner.

In this 3 months that i am researching mostly, i decided that the headphone that i am looking for should have these properties:

+ it should be Open-back, isolation is not an issue, comfort is not an issue, looking is not an issue. Only thing that matters is sound quality.
+ DETAIL DETAIL AND DETAIL.
+ Soundstage should be wide enough that i can easly seperate every single insturment on orchestra.
+ low end and also lower mid area should be well-refined because I don't want it to splash/shade middle/upper mid area.
+ mid and upper mids are crucial. It should be natural.
+ highs should be at front. But of course, I do not prefer them THAT piercing.
+ Headphone should be fast enough to catch faster partitions of music.
+ acoustic guitars are extremely important so "being natural" for this particular headphone is a very important issue.

I can widen these properties if it's requested.

Up to now, I studied almost every headphone in market but not listened them. I have experience on koss portapros (cramer modded, more than 5000 hours on them) , ath m50 (more than 200 hours on them), koss sportapros (not modded less than 50 hours), sennheiser cx400 II (less than 100 hours, and I hated them)

And so far, I half decided on akg k70x/q701 that I will go balanced with audio-gd nfb 10.32.
Btw, I will use my headphones on desktop via pc only. Portability is not an issue.

My budget is 1000-1200 $ everything included.

hd600 is another option but i fear they are not fast and detailed enough for my taste.
dt880 is also an another option but again, i fear they are upper-mid recessed and too sharp on highs.

hifiman he 500 seems also good, especially if we consider my amp preference for akg's. We know that planars need lots of current to shine. But the thing is they are pretty expensive if we consider my 1000-1200 $ budget for everything included.

Please help me, i need experienced head-fiers to answer.
With my best regards,
Baris.

Come on guys I need your help.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #27,022 of 29,490
Quote:

None of the Grados are a safe choice for the treble sensitive. 

I have seen complaints about the treble for each can in the SR line as being harsh, sibilant or both.  The only way to tell for sure is put a pair on your head and listen.

Thanks. I am looking for 'phones south of koss ksc75's but north of sennheiser px100's. I want a bit of that high frequency sparkle but it's gotta be close to neutral.

I am hoping the igrado's fit the bill, but will consider any other great sounding alternatives with the sound signature as described above.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #27,023 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey there,

I am a new head-fier that trying to find a proper headphone for me -for 3 months I am doing research- at this point. I need your advices before I go mad. Please help me.

I am listening classical, jazz and acoustic music mostly. Female vocals have a giant emphasize. I've spent lots of time as musician and also I am familiar with sound systems so imho, you should not consider me as a beginner.

In this 3 months that i am researching mostly, i decided that the headphone that i am looking for should have these properties:

+ it should be Open-back, isolation is not an issue, comfort is not an issue, looking is not an issue. Only thing that matters is sound quality.
+ DETAIL DETAIL AND DETAIL.
+ Soundstage should be wide enough that i can easly seperate every single insturment on orchestra.
+ low end and also lower mid area should be well-refined because I don't want it to splash/shade middle/upper mid area.
+ mid and upper mids are crucial. It should be natural.
+ highs should be at front. But of course, I do not prefer them THAT piercing.
+ Headphone should be fast enough to catch faster partitions of music.
+ acoustic guitars are extremely important so "being natural" for this particular headphone is a very important issue.

I can widen these properties if it's requested.

Up to now, I studied almost every headphone in market but not listened them. I have experience on koss portapros (cramer modded, more than 5000 hours on them) , ath m50 (more than 200 hours on them), koss sportapros (not modded less than 50 hours), sennheiser cx400 II (less than 100 hours, and I hated them)

And so far, I half decided on akg k70x/q701 that I will go balanced with audio-gd nfb 10.32.
Btw, I will use my headphones on desktop via pc only. Portability is not an issue.

My budget is 1000-1200 $ everything included.

hd600 is another option but i fear they are not fast and detailed enough for my taste.
dt880 is also an another option but again, i fear they are upper-mid recessed and too sharp on highs.

hifiman he 500 seems also good, especially if we consider my amp preference for akg's. We know that planars need lots of current to shine. But the thing is they are pretty expensive if we consider my 1000-1200 $ budget for everything included.

Please help me, i need experienced head-fiers to answer.
With my best regards,
Baris.

Come on guys I need your help.

I k701/2 seems about right since it's neutral and detailed or "cold" as people say, but since you just want little coloration, cold isn't ant issue. Timpani and sonic impacts might not do well in the lower registers since bass on the k70X is just there, but doesn't give impact. 

Ah, a used hd800 would do even more justice from what I've heard. More separation and a more holographic stage. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #27,024 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you very much. I will re-consider he-500 again. But do you think that he-500 will produce string instrurments as good as akg k70x/q701 ? 

ALot of people including me consider the HE-500 have an excellent timbre when it comes to instrument if you drives them properly, so i'm gonna answer yes they are

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #27,025 of 29,490
Ok I'm looking for something with the detail and soundstage of my grado sr225i's but with bass quantities similar to my m50's.. Does such a beast exist?

budget $600 max

currently own...

fiio e11
m50
grado sr225i
vmoda LP 2

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #27,026 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok I'm looking for something with the detail and soundstage of my grado sr225i's but with bass quantities similar to my m50's.. Does such a beast exist?

budget $600 max

currently own...

fiio e11
m50
grado sr225i
vmoda LP 2

Such a beast does exist :) Are you looking for a open or closed back can?

Open: DT990/250 Pro Great bass, much better in every aspect to the M50's but still has a very large soundstage and will be worlds more comfy than the Grado's

Closed: DT770/32 LE's. Huge soundstage, probably one of widest you'll hear in most closed back cans. 

Not trying to just focus on just Beyer but for what you're looking into they will do the trick for you. 

I would use the money your saving from two cans that can easily be had under $225 each new, and go out and get a better amp. I love my e11 and I'll always keep it as a backup in case something were to happen but it'll be outmatched with either of those two headphones and quite a few others. 

Luckily there are tons of other options out there that are still super portable with great sound that still wont cost you and arm and a leg. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #27,027 of 29,490
U are amazing!

I prefer the sense of scale that open backs give me... How different are the sound stages between these?

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #27,028 of 29,490
Oh and what portable amp would be best for these?

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #27,029 of 29,490
does anyone know a closed back portable can, that can render a classical orchestra in front of the listener? in open cans the hd598 does that very impressively and for closed cans the srh940 is able to do that, but it is not portable by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back