++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #26,956 of 29,490
Quote:
I'll probably be purchasing through Amazon so don't really want the hassle of posting them back. Also I'm a little uncomfortable with sending stuff back without a good reason.

UK Distance Selling Law stipulates that you are allowed to buy via Web, open the packaging, try the goods and return them if you wish for no reason at all beyond simply 'not liking them', within 7-days.

No-one is expected to be able to make a truly informed decision merely on the basis of a photo on the Web.

You literally don't have to have a reason! Within 7-days. Of course you need to maintain good condition and original packaging etc.

I have just ordered 4x Headphones from Amazon and 3x will be going back.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #26,958 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a good, portable set of closed cans. I will be running mostly amped on an e11, but sometimes unamped. I like the sound signature of the hd 25 1 ii, but they are uncomfortable and look terrible on me. I was underwhelmed with the dt1350s. I'm going to limit budget to 300.

ps. maybe try something like the momentum or v100? I had the old crossfades once and they were way uncomfortable, so if the v100 uses the same form factor  that may not work.

suggestions?

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #26,960 of 29,490
Quote:
So, without being able to directly compare the phones I wanted to side-by-side in the stores, I have had no choice but to order my shortlist of 4x and do the test at home...

Looking for: Comfy, fairly neutral hinting towards slightly warm, over-ear, open or closed, certainly not bass light, but not bass heavy, maybe just slightly tinted towards the lower end with a clear open sound with a bit of sparkle...

To suit music (from Trance/Dance [but not HipHop/Rap so no need for extreme bass], plus Rock and Orchestral) as well as late night film watching...

Budget of up to ~£200 ($300) in UK

On order are (price ascending):

Sony MDR1R (Silver) (£160)
Soundmagic HP100 (£160)
Beyer 880(600Ohm) Premium (£230)
Philips Fidelio X1/00 (£250)

3x will be going back to the stores!

I will do a comparative review once I have them all...

... but anyone want to place a bet in advance???
atsmile.gif

Out of that list, the HP100 with a FiiO E17.  You should also look at the AKG Q701, also with E17.

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #26,961 of 29,490
Mad Dogs, Paradoxes, or any other T50RP mod variant.

Mad Dogs. for example, are purchased as a turn key already modded can.

The Shure SRH-940 is also good, but requires an amp.

The T-70 P is good, but very expensive for what you get.

Thanks guys. The Paradoxes definitely seem interesting. However, today I got a bit impatient and pulled the trigger on a new pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A900X for $129 via eBay deal-of-the-day. Plus I had some eBay bucks set to expire soon :wink:

If I hate them, I'm not out too much money...and can check out modded T50RPs instead.

Now, off to find a good full size amp to go with the A900X's!

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #26,962 of 29,490
Quote:
The closest I've heard is the Ultrasone HiFi 780 and Pro 750.  That's not to say that they sound the same as the Grado SR house sound.  Other than an (open) Alessandro, nothing else does.

I just received HFI 780.

It fits perfect on my head. Comfortable.

Sound wise, I was surprised. Very similar to grado SR80's characteristic...

I like the design too.

Very satisfied!

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #26,963 of 29,490
I'm basically looking for the very best sound quality at $100. The caveat is that they cannot be fatiguing. I am treble sensitive. 

So far, leading candidates are:

-shure 440

-krk 6400

Any thoughts on those plus any other candidates are appreciated.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #26,965 of 29,490
Hiii guys, first of all i'm really pleased to be with such a knowledge in this subject!

I've read a lot about headphones (i'm not a audiophile, but i like it 
dt880smile.png
)...so i'm pushing my old Plantronics 777 and have decide to buy something real!!!

I've read about the AT-AD700, but it's an open one and has no basses at all (not my opinion, i only read it)!

So i saw two heads that have impressed me:
a) Denon 
AH-D1100
b) Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 DJ

Both of them have great bass, not a good soundstage but have the specs for what i expect a head has (great for):
a) games - 40%
b) music and movies - 60% - (bass 60% - crystal mid - 40%)

Budget: 200U$ tops!
So what you guys recommend?

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #26,966 of 29,490
Hey, new here and looking for some advice on what to get.

First, these headphones are going to be used with my desktop only. Any other uses will be quite rare and not worth taking into consideration. They will be used for everything I do on my computer, but the main focus is music.
As for the music I listen pretty much equally to power metal, anime music and soundtracks, and I guess J-rock. Not sure if the J-rock is the most fitting term, but samples of the music would be anything by Asian Kung-Fu Generation(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmeudwRMrsU) .

The next big thing is isolation. These are going to be used in a dorm so I'd like some isolation, but maybe not to the point where all I hear is my headphones. Letting a little sound leak in so I can be aware of what is going on around me or if people are talking to me would be nice. 

Based on the above and that I'd like to stay around $80 or below I came up with the Sony MDR-V6 and the Superlux HD668B. What do you guys think? If there is something that you guys would recommend that fits the bill I'd love to hear it.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #26,967 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Looking for a good, portable set of closed cans. I will be running mostly amped on an e11, but sometimes unamped. I like the sound signature of the hd 25 1 ii, but they are uncomfortable and look terrible on me. I was underwhelmed with the dt1350s. I'm going to limit budget to 300.

ps. maybe try something like the momentum or v100? I had the old crossfades once and they were way uncomfortable, so if the v100 uses the same form factor  that may not work.

suggestions?

Post on the recommendations thread in the portable headphones, IEM section of the forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

This thread and section of the forum is full sized headphones.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #26,968 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I'm basically looking for the very best sound quality at $100. The caveat is that they cannot be fatiguing. I am treble sensitive. 

So far, leading candidates are:

-shure 440

-krk 6400

Any thoughts on those plus any other candidates are appreciated.

The citiscape uptown would be my top recommendation.

The two cans he listed are relatively neutral--and either one is a good choice in this price class.  I would probably go with the CAL! over both of these, unless durability is a factor.

Aren't the Uptowns a bit bass heavy?

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #26,969 of 29,490
Apr 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #26,970 of 29,490
Quote:

Also IEM's are not out of the question, I just have no idea as to what would be comparable in an IEM

MDR-1r :3 if you're looking for comfort. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back