++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #26,926 of 29,490
BeyerDynamics are generally not super portable, though I'm not familiar with that mode.
AKG Q701 will sound great, but are REALLY not portable. They are also open and so will leak a ton of sound and let a ton of sound in, which is a consideration if you want to sue them in a public setting.

I think you will have the same issue with the ATH-AD900x…but I'm not sure.

The Beyers are going to be closed and super comfy. Also good isolation

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #26,927 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm back! Anyway, I read over the Grado's, but my only problem is that I've heard that they wouldn't be the best for classical, and would I be able to use them for guitar? They seem to have pretty low impedance and I've heard about the 1/8 rule of thumb, and I really have no idea as to what my guitar amp's impedance is, and I'd also like them to work with a desktop and put out pretty loud sound, so I'm hesitant to get the Grado's because they have low impedance. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about impedance though, it truthfully confuses the **** out of me, but I know that cans would sound best with the 1/8 rule, so the 32 ohm impedance of the sr80i seems low. I'm kind of leaning toward the Senns right now, so can anyone give me a review of them? 

On one hand, you need a lower Ohm rating and high sensitivity rating to play loud directly out of your computer.  On the other hand you're concerned about your guitar amp syncing with with low impedance cans.  Not sure if you can reconcile the two.  What you need to do is find out the "headphone out" specs on your amp and post over in the sound science section of the forum.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #26,928 of 29,490
Loved the sound signature of the M-Audio Q40s (I am a bit of a basshead haha!) but the comfort was pretty bad. I'm fussy when it comes to headphones as I wear glasses and have a larger than average head/ears. I swapped the Q40 pads to the Beyerdynamic velour ones, but the Q40s unfortunately hurt my jaw like mad, even after I'd stretched them. Is there anything with a similar sort of sound signature that are more comfortable that isn't the DT770 Pro?

The comfort of the DT770 Pros was amazing as the earcups actually fit around my ear, but the sound was too recessed for my liking.

Bump

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #26,929 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Loved the sound signature of the M-Audio Q40s (I am a bit of a basshead haha!) but the comfort was pretty bad. I'm fussy when it comes to headphones as I wear glasses and have a larger than average head/ears. I swapped the Q40 pads to the Beyerdynamic velour ones, but the Q40s unfortunately hurt my jaw like mad, even after I'd stretched them. Is there anything with a similar sort of sound signature that are more comfortable that isn't the DT770 Pro?

The comfort of the DT770 Pros was amazing as the earcups actually fit around my ear, but the sound was too recessed for my liking.

Bump

Maybe the Ultrasone Pro 900, but that's probably outside your budget.

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #26,933 of 29,490
Apr 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #26,934 of 29,490
Hey gang,

I'm ready to pull the trigger on some midrange headphones strictly for home listening. I saw that Beyerdynamic is having a sale via their website today, and after a lot of reading I almost pulled the trigger on the T70p for $520 shipped. But then I realized that they are often cheaper on Amazon, and these may be brighter than what I'd like.

My requirements are rather simple:

1) Closed back, over the ear. I need isolation from a noisy AC unit in the summer.
2) Rich midrange, I'm not a bass fanatic, and don't like fatiguing or bright treble.
3) $300-$600. Could go a tad higher if something is on sale and/or extraordinary value.
4) Prefer new, not used.
5). Must be very comfortable for 2+ hour listening sessions. Currently using a 15-year old pair of JVC HA-D810, and my ears are sore after 30 minutes.

Initially, I'd probably be using these via my iPad to FLACs via SqueezePad app. Eventually, I see myself stepping up to an appropriate headphone amp.

Thanks for any feedback!

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #26,936 of 29,490
Mad Dogs, Paradoxes, or any other T50RP mod variant.

Interesting suggestion. Not sure if I feel comfortable jumping right into all the modding possibilities at this point in time, was looking for a bit more plug-and-play with something respectable out of the box, and see where that takes me. But I will do some reading based on your suggestions, thank you.

What else ya'll got?

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #26,937 of 29,490
Quote:
None of these cans, except the Grado is within your budget.  The Grado SR line is more about "wall of sound" than detail and sound stage.  Many find the Grados to be uncomfortable, although I do not.  The only Grado that I can understand being call sibilant is the 325is.

I honestly don't care about new or used, and I've found plenty of used deals on all of these cans but the hd598, so I'll see. Found some K701's in my budget (I sold the Beyers) and I'll try 'em out. Thanks!

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #26,938 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting suggestion. Not sure if I feel comfortable jumping right into all the modding possibilities at this point in time, was looking for a bit more plug-and-play with something respectable out of the box, and see where that takes me. But I will do some reading based on your suggestions, thank you.

What else ya'll got?

Mad Dogs. for example, are purchased as a turn key already modded can.

The Shure SRH-940 is also good, but requires an amp.

The T-70 P is good, but very expensive for what you get.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #26,939 of 29,490
Quote:

thunder pants mod 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #26,940 of 29,490
Hi everyone. I'm new in this forum and seeking some advice. So I want to consult with you guys before I make a stupid mistake. What I look for is:
1) price up to $250 / £170, but would consider higher if it would be a REALLY good deal
2) I'm looking for only closed cups, over ear headphones
3) should be reasonably stylish, and very confortable
4) I'll be using them mainly outside/metro, and on my laptop
5) I listen to house, dance, rap, electro, hiphop. And even though I like bass, I do not look for super bassy headphones.

I hope my requirements are not too high and there are some good options out there. I did some kind of a research and I think I fell in love with AKG K550. But the only problem is their portability... any thoughts/advices?

Thanks!

P.S. I do apologise for my english

Users who are viewing this thread

Back