++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 6, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #26,941 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone. I'm new in this forum and seeking some advice. So I want to consult with you guys before I make a stupid mistake. What I look for is:
1) price up to $250 / £170, but would consider higher if it would be a REALLY good deal
2) I'm looking for only closed cups, over ear headphones
3) should be reasonably stylish, and very confortable
4) I'll be using them mainly outside/metro, and on my laptop
5) I listen to house, dance, rap, electro, hiphop. And even though I like bass, I do not look for super bassy headphones.

I hope my requirements are not too high and there are some good options out there. I did some kind of a research and I think I fell in love with AKG K550. But the only problem is their portability... any thoughts/advices?

Thanks!

P.S. I do apologise for my english

SoundMAGIC HP100 is the best before Mad Dogs with FiiO E17 for amp/dac (preferable), or FiiO E07K.  The K550 is bass-light, there are better choices for those types of music.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #26,942 of 29,490
Mad Dogs. for example, are purchased as a turn key already modded can.

The Shure SRH-940 is also good, but requires an amp.

The T-70 P is good, but very expensive for what you get.

Thanks. The Paradoxes and SRH-040s sound the most intriguing. If I go the Shure route, what is a realistic budget I should consider for an appropriate amp?

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #26,943 of 29,490
etysmile.gif

I'm looking for some cans with bigger drivers, and more impressive sound than what i have now, esw9.  Well, I also have hd280 but they sit in a drawer because they are too clamping, a shame only 15 hours at most of use.  One of these days I'm going to find the trading section of this forum.

Looking to spend up to 350 usd.
More transparency, ability to use in DJing,
They have to be more comfortable than esw9, the more comfortable the better. These ATH are relatively easy on the ears, but I can't wear them for very long without a short break.

I've seriously considered the m50, just look like such a great deal.  But maybe there is something better that's of great value.

Also very very tempted to try dt880, as open heads seem to be considered better SQ. But not sure if open should be used for DJ, or which ohm to choose.  I have a receiver/amp, but that seems somewhat limiting, as its very heavy.  I use computer + udac-2, ipod. No headphone amp, but not against the idea. 

I listen mostly to mixes of house, d&b, trance, hip-hop, but other types too.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #26,944 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone. I'm new in this forum and seeking some advice. So I want to consult with you guys before I make a stupid mistake. What I look for is:
1) price up to $250 / £170, but would consider higher if it would be a REALLY good deal
2) I'm looking for only closed cups, over ear headphones
3) should be reasonably stylish, and very confortable
4) I'll be using them mainly outside/metro, and on my laptop
5) I listen to house, dance, rap, electro, hiphop. And even though I like bass, I do not look for super bassy headphones.

I hope my requirements are not too high and there are some good options out there. I did some kind of a research and I think I fell in love with AKG K550. But the only problem is their portability... any thoughts/advices?

Thanks!

P.S. I do apologise for my english

Idk if you get get them in the UK, but you *should* be able to get refurb Sennheiser Amperiors in the US for about $170ish USD. Those should do you nicely if you could manage to procure them at that price.

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #26,945 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Mad Dogs. for example, are purchased as a turn key already modded can.

The Shure SRH-940 is also good, but requires an amp.

The T-70 P is good, but very expensive for what you get.

Thanks. The Paradoxes and SRH-040s sound the most intriguing. If I go the Shure route, what is a realistic budget I should consider for an appropriate amp?

I understand that you are seeking a portable amp, in which case I can't be much help.  I have only one and it has been discontinued.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #26,946 of 29,490
Quote:
I'd very much like to be pointed to some that are considered as comfortable by the majority.

You could check out the Takstar Pro80's. If you add the Brainwavz HM5 pads ($16 shipped worldwide) they're very comfortable and have nice full sound.

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #26,947 of 29,490
So, without being able to directly compare the phones I wanted to side-by-side in the stores, I have had no choice but to order my shortlist of 4x and do the test at home...

Looking for: Comfy, fairly neutral hinting towards slightly warm, over-ear, open or closed, certainly not bass light, but not bass heavy, maybe just slightly tinted towards the lower end with a clear open sound with a bit of sparkle...

To suit music (from Trance/Dance [but not HipHop/Rap so no need for extreme bass], plus Rock and Orchestral) as well as late night film watching...

Budget of up to ~£200 ($300) in UK

On order are (price ascending):

Sony MDR1R (Silver) (£160)
Soundmagic HP100 (£160)
Beyer 880(600Ohm) Premium (£230)
Philips Fidelio X1/00 (£250)

3x will be going back to the stores!

I will do a comparative review once I have them all...

... but anyone want to place a bet in advance???
atsmile.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #26,948 of 29,490
So, without being able to directly compare the phones I wanted to side-by-side in the stores, I have had no choice but to order my shortlist of 4x and do the test at home...

Looking for: Comfy, fairly neutral hinting towards slightly warm, over-ear, open or closed, certainly not bass light, but not bass heavy, maybe just slightly tinted towards the lower end with a clear open sound with a bit of sparkle...

To suit music (from Trance/Dance [but not HipHop/Rap so no need for extreme bass], plus Rock and Orchestral) as well as late night film watching...

Budget of up to ~£200 ($300) in UK

On order are (price ascending):

Sony MDR1R (Silver) (£160)
Soundmagic HP100 (£160)
Beyer 880(600Ohm) Premium (£230)
Philips Fidelio X1/00 (£250)

3x will be going back to the stores!

I will do a comparative review once I have them all...

... but anyone want to place a bet in advance??? :atsmile:

I bet the dt880 if your amping them properly, Fidelio x1 if not.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #26,949 of 29,490
Apr 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #26,951 of 29,490
Hello,

I have literally just joined the forum. When searching Google I have been directed to this forum fairly frequently, so it seemed the smart thing to do was join up.

I am looking to purchase my first pair of decent headphones. Through a fair amount of searching I have narrowed it down to two competitors, the AKG K240 MK2's and the Sennheiser HD-518's. I will be using these at home (hence the open/semi open design) for plugging into my multi effects guitar pedal, music, movies and possibly some gaming (although for gaming I have a pair of Turtle Beach PX 21's which have the advantage of a mic).

I would like to keep suggestions between these two if possible unless there is something in the same ballpark that blows these out of the water. At the moment I'm leaning towards the K240's but being only semi open am unsure about how this will affect the sound stage in comparison to the 518's. I am really looking for the best all rounder as I don't listen to one specific kind of music predominantly.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #26,952 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I have literally just joined the forum. When searching Google I have been directed to this forum fairly frequently, so it seemed the smart thing to do was join up.

I am looking to purchase my first pair of decent headphones. Through a fair amount of searching I have narrowed it down to two competitors, the AKG K240 MK2's and the Sennheiser HD-518's. I will be using these at home (hence the open/semi open design) for plugging into my multi effects guitar pedal, music, movies and possibly some gaming (although for gaming I have a pair of Turtle Beach PX 21's which have the advantage of a mic).

I would like to keep suggestions between these two if possible unless there is something in the same ballpark that blows these out of the water. At the moment I'm leaning towards the K240's but being only semi open am unsure about how this will affect the sound stage in comparison to the 518's. I am really looking for the best all rounder as I don't listen to one specific kind of music predominantly.

Thanks in advance.

Both are great cans IMO, why don't you buy both and return one?

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #26,953 of 29,490
I'll probably be purchasing through Amazon so don't really want the hassle of posting them back. Also I'm a little uncomfortable with sending stuff back without a good reason.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #26,954 of 29,490
     So, I was told that it would be hard to find cans that have a high enough impedance to sound good on a guitar amp and can also put out a good level of sound on a laptop, even though it would have moderate impedance which would make it hard for a laptop to put out enough power to give me loud sound.
     So what if I get Senn HD280's along with a headphone amp? Maybe something cheaper from FiiO that would help my laptop put out enough power to give me loud and good sound on the 280's.
     This way, I can use the headphone amp with the 280's for my laptop to insure sound quality and loudness, and also plug the 280's without the headphone amp into my guitar amp and play while getting good sound because their impedance would be high enough to work with the guitar amp.

Any thoughts or improvements for my idea? 

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #26,955 of 29,490
Hello! I just bought a pair of ATH A900X headphones and I didn't realize I liked bass until I had none! So I'm probably going to sell this and by a pair better suited.

- I mainly listen to rock, dub step, and electronic music

- 40% gaming 60% movies/music

- I REALLY like feeling Isolated, I have the G930 headset and they do a great job of that

- I have the antlion mic so don't worry about that

- I use onboard sound so feel free to recommend a sound card

- budget 150$

Thanks for any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back