++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 5, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #26,912 of 29,490
Looking for a good, portable set of closed cans. I will be running mostly amped on an e11, but sometimes unamped. I like the sound signature of the hd 25 1 ii, but they are uncomfortable and look terrible on me. I was underwhelmed with the dt1350s. I'm going to limit budget to 300.

ps. maybe try something like the momentum or v100? I had the old crossfades once and they were way uncomfortable, so if the v100 uses the same form factor  that may not work.

Also IEM's are not out of the question, I just have no idea as to what would be comparable in an IEM

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #26,913 of 29,490
Quote:
Bump. Anyone?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ideally you'd want to go for RS1's if you listening exclusively to rock. But that's like $450 used. And personally, I didn't really like the 701's with rock.

In any case, you could always try the Magnum v4 or v5's which are a about as the level of the RS1's but with different sound sig if you dont want to drop $400+ on cans. :p

But of you're going to stick to the amazon thing between the 701's and SR225's, I'd go SR225 given your rock preferences. I suggest getting a used pair though... knowing upgraditis, you could be easily selling off the cans in a matter of months because you feel like moving on - might as well cut the losses ay?

I've been leaning toward the 225i. But I listen to a bunch of other stuff like post rock, ambient, and acoustic that I think the k/q701/702 would handle well. Plus they're so damn gorgeous. :) thanks!

Quote:
Bump. Anyone?

HE-400

I was actually looking at those tonight. Thanks!

Looking for a good, portable set of closed cans. I will be running mostly amped on an e11, but sometimes unamped. I like the sound signature of the hd 25 1 ii, but they are uncomfortable and look terrible on me. I was underwhelmed with the dt1350s. I'm going to limit budget to 300.

ps. maybe try something like the momentum or v100? I had the old crossfades once and they were way uncomfortable, so if the v100 uses the same form factor  that may not work.

Also IEM's are not out of the question, I just have no idea as to what would be comparable in an IEM

It's a shame the hd25 feel so uncomfortable as they sound pretty damn good. If you want to try an iem with a similar sound SIG, the vsonic gr07 mkii would be a good choice.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #26,914 of 29,490
Quote:
Bump. Anyone?

Second the SR225. Every Head-Fier needs to own one Grado at some point in their hobby and having one gives you a good way to mix it up a little when you need something more intimate and less polite. 

If you're sensitive to treble, you will probably prefer the SR225 to the SR325. The Q701 is a good headphone, but I personally feel that the DT 880 does post rock and acoustic better.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #26,915 of 29,490
Quote:

Second the SR225. Every Head-Fier needs to own one Grado at some point in their hobby and having one gives you a good way to mix it up a little when you need something more intimate and less polite. 

If you're sensitive to treble, you will probably prefer the SR225 to the SR325. 

This. You haven't experienced "head on stage" quite like Grados on rock. They also are quite good at making you want to mod :)

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #26,916 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Need a recommendation for a new set of cans. I listen to mostly metal/post-hardcore/rock/acoustic. Will be listening at home with a fiio e07k. I have a DT880 premium 250ohm that I really love, a DT990 pro 250ohm which I like, an HD25-1ii that I really love, and a Custom One Pro which I tolerate. My current iems are GR07 mk2. I guess I just want something different sounding.

Right now I've been thinking of the sr225i or the Q701. My only issue with the 225i is the comfort issue and that I could spend a bit more and get the 325i if they would be that much better. And the Q701 seem like too much of a sidestep from my 880s. I just want something that will have crisp highs, smooth mids maybe a little more upfront than the 880, and a tight punchy bass with good extension.

I'm looking to spend around 300 and preferably off of Amazon. Will go higher for better choices.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bump. Anyone?

Within you budget consider the Alessandro MS-2 or 325is--if you like a bright can.  The MS-2 is the less bright sibling.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #26,917 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The Senn veil and detail don't go together very well.  The HD 558 and 598 are fine cans, but are not exactly the detail monsters.  The AKG Q 701 and Beyer DT 880 are better at that.

What's your budget?  The Senns are subject to a MAP in the U.S. and elsewhere, so you'll have to keep your eyes glued to the "The Deals II" thread in this section of the forum.

My budget is under $200 if I can sell the Beyers, but preferably closer to $150, and right now only about $120. I've also heard the Q 701's are effectively more expensive K 701's. Have you heard both? Also is the Grado Prestige line good for detail? I've read complaints about sibilance and discomfort but the 125i's are a piece of cake to find in my price range and I can always change out the earpads.

Thanks for replying

None of these cans, except the Grado is within your budget.  The Grado SR line is more about "wall of sound" than detail and sound stage.  Many find the Grados to be uncomfortable, although I do not.  The only Grado that I can understand being call sibilant is the 325is.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #26,919 of 29,490
Quote:

This section is for full sized headphones only.  There is a recommendations thread in the portable headphones, IEM section of the forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #26,920 of 29,490
Bear with me. This may be a common problem.

I have a Sennheiser HD439 headphone. The sound was good for it's price, it was a neutral headphone(which i have come to greatly appreciate), and as a result of it's flat sound, the vocals didn't display sibilance because they weren't forward.

I made the mistake of purchasing a MDR-1R, and even though the sound and detail is good, i get a lot of sibilance on vocals because they are just so forward, also the warm sound is iffy on some songs.

So i am looking for a full sized headphone with a neutral signature(anything to reduce sibilance on vocals), that aren't overly bright, though my problem isn't with the instruments but the vocals alone. My budget is 215$ maximum. What do i listen to? Mostly jpop, symphonic rock and slightly pop stripped down vocals. (Nightwish, Anime OST, Florence + The Machine, Maroon 5.)

So i guess a Senn HD439 on leveled up is what i'm looking for? I have searched and found Sennheiser HD558 and HD598, Brainwavz HM5(out of stock on Amazon though), Hifi-man HE300, stuff like that.

I don't have an amp and listen straight out of my ipod touch 5th and laptop. So if i get something for around 170, i can get an amp/dac with the 40$ or so remaining.

HD598 can be found for around 174$ in Amazon, HD595 for around 150$. I am mentioning these because i have enjoyed Senn's sound signature before, though i don't know how these sound.

Thank you in advance.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #26,921 of 29,490
Quote:
Bear with me. This may be a common problem.

I have a Sennheiser HD439 headphone. The sound was good for it's price, it was a neutral headphone(which i have come to greatly appreciate), and as a result of it's flat sound, the vocals didn't display sibilance because they weren't forward.

I made the mistake of purchasing a MDR-1R, and even though the sound and detail is good, i get a lot of sibilance on vocals because they are just so forward, also the warm sound is iffy on some songs.

So i am looking for a full sized headphone with a neutral signature(anything to reduce sibilance on vocals), that aren't overly bright, though my problem isn't with the instruments but the vocals alone. My budget is 215$ maximum. What do i listen to? Mostly jpop, symphonic rock and slightly pop stripped down vocals. (Nightwish, Anime OST, Florence + The Machine, Maroon 5.)

So i guess a Senn HD439 on leveled up is what i'm looking for? I have searched and found Sennheiser HD558 and HD598, Brainwavz HM5(out of stock on Amazon though), Hifi-man HE300, stuff like that.

I don't have an amp and listen straight out of my ipod touch 5th and laptop. So if i get something for around 170, i can get an amp/dac with the 40$ or so remaining.

HD598 can be found for around 174$ in Amazon, HD595 for around 150$. I am mentioning these because i have enjoyed Senn's sound signature before, though i don't know how these sound.

Thank you in advance.

You realize that the Senns you are considering are open and leak sound, right?  If you you are OK with that, they are good choices, with the 598 the one to get.

If not you should consider closed cans like the KRK KNS 8400, Sony MDR-7510 and Shure SRH-840.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #26,922 of 29,490
Thanks for the quick reply!

I am aware that they leak sound, and i am ok with that since i'll be using them at home exclusively. So an HD598 + Hifiman H101 is better than HD558 + Fiio E7?

Thank you once again for the recommendation;

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #26,924 of 29,490
Ok guys...browsong for months and im still stuck...Im from UK.

im looking for a set of cans that do the following at its given best...

Music...Movies...gaming.....I know its a lot but I have came up with  a  few if you could help...  btw most of my music/movies will be on a tablet....gaming on PC..

Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO

AKG 701

ATH-AD900X

I have never owned a high quality pair of headphones so I have no clue how they will sound.....I just travel a lot now and I am looking for a good set....Are any of the above beneficial to me?Would I need an portable amp for travel tablet use?

Is there any other you guys can suggest?

BTW...The look of the headphones are kinda important (lol)  ie...im like the look of the AKG/900x....the look kinda modern grill etc.....not really into large clumpy looking cans....as stated I travel a  bit therefore wear them a lot on planes/trains and automobles
redface.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #26,925 of 29,490
I'm back! Anyway, I read over the Grado's, but my only problem is that I've heard that they wouldn't be the best for classical, and would I be able to use them for guitar? They seem to have pretty low impedance and I've heard about the 1/8 rule of thumb, and I really have no idea as to what my guitar amp's impedance is, and I'd also like them to work with a desktop and put out pretty loud sound, so I'm hesitant to get the Grado's because they have low impedance. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about impedance though, it truthfully confuses the **** out of me, but I know that cans would sound best with the 1/8 rule, so the 32 ohm impedance of the sr80i seems low. I'm kind of leaning toward the Senns right now, so can anyone give me a review of them? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back