++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #26,761 of 29,490
Looking for some suggestions as to what I should buy as my first set of real cans, what I am looking for is ordered below by priority.

$300 NZD ($350 max), have to be able to purchase from a NZ retailer.
I will be using a Xonar DS so if an amp is recommended please give a suggestion.
I prefer very neutral, balanced but if not possible I listen to all genres with larger share of my library being rock, pop and alternative.
Circumaural is preferred over super aural.
Home use but would prefer closed due to noisy family.

I have been recommended:
ATH-M50
HD598(too expensive here in NZ)
Brainwavz HM5

When I did my own research I found these were in my price range:
SRH840
HD558

EDIT: I hear the SRH840 has better mids than the M50s

Please and thanks.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #26,762 of 29,490
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a pickle over buying headphones and I'll try and be short here (but not my strong point, sorry).

Need them as:

1.Drum Kit monitor (don't need to be audiophile or that but need great 'punch/drive' and not be shrill)
2.Films (mostly Action/SciFi), big scale drama, good clear mid-range and vocals. Deep bass useful, but not at the expense of a good punchy sound
3.Music, from Dance/Trance to Orchestral Film Scores. Don't need Hip-Hop/Rap levels of Bass, rather have an impactful punchy bass. Good open soundstage pretty important with musical light and airy sound.

Now, years ago I adored the sound of a pair of Sennheiser HD580II's. Amazingly open and airy and rich and addictive. Play something like Enya and they could make you cry.

If you could couple that sound to a punchy taught and kicking bassline (not necessarily Silly-Deep, but 'good'), then winner!

So far auditioned:

ATH-M50: Not bad but not really 'airy' and open. Too neutral and closed
Grado Sr80i: Very musical but I'd rather a full over ear headphone
Beyer 770(250): Punchy but you notice the recessed midrange and sounded a bit closed-in
Beyer 990(250): More open and wider sound than the 770's but seemed to lack Bass Punch?
Sennheiser HD380Pro: Uncomfortable and didn't ike at all

Beyers were very comfortable, and this is important for 2-3 hr sessions of use.

Now considering Sennheiser HD5xx or HD600's or maybe Beyer 990(600)'s ??? Or Beyer 880s (600)

AKG701?: But worried about the lack of Bass impact for Films? AKG550? : But worried about fit (I have a small head)

Don't get me wrong, I am not a basshead at all, but I do like a decent proper bassline to underpin music and films, as it adds weight and scale to pretty much everything... But too much flabby dominating bass is hell... it's a fine line I guess...

Thoughts or Questions anyone? Budget £100-250 ideally. Open or closed back is not an issue. Do not need to be portable.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #26,763 of 29,490
Looking for some suggestions as to what I should buy as my first set of real cans, what I am looking for is ordered below by priority.

$300 NZD ($350 max), have to be able to purchase from a NZ retailer.
I will be using a Xonar DS so if an amp is recommended please give a suggestion.
I prefer very neutral, balanced but if not possible I listen to all genres with larger share of my library being rock, pop and alternative.
Circumaural is preferred over super aural.
Home use but would prefer closed due to noisy family.

I have been recommended:
ATH-M50
HD598(too expensive here in NZ)
Brainwavz HM5

When I did my own research I found these were in my price range:
SRH840
HD558

EDIT: I hear the SRH840 has better mids than the M50s

Please and thanks.
Based upon your library, consider the Grado SR 325i if its available in NZ.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #26,764 of 29,490
Based upon your library, consider the Grado SR 325i if its available in NZ.

It is available but it is almost $500

EDIT: These stores have the best price:range ratio; www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=530&t=20, www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=159&t=20, www.soundstore.co.nz/c-86-headphones.aspx, jaudio.co.nz. There are stores which offer range but are much more expensive, other stores parallel import items are cheaper but are dodgy with very poor customer service.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #26,765 of 29,490
Quote:
AKG701?: But worried about the lack of Bass impact for Films? AKG550? : But worried about fit (I have a small head)

K701 bass will be fine for movies, but considering it's open, it would be horrible for drum monitoring.( I'm guessing you'll be playing with these on?) Also I would not recommend them for dance/trance of any kind. Trance specifically sounds like poo out of these. At least they do to me. So for those reasons I would be against getting a K701.

I've heard the K550 is also bass-light, similar to the K701, but don't take my word for it, because I've never tried them.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #26,766 of 29,490
I must admit, I think the Beyer 'style' will suit the drums, but not sure about the films/music.

It is almost like they are missing a spark or some zest/life/zing (or other such citrus sounding words)?

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #26,767 of 29,490
Che
It is available but it is almost $500

EDIT: These stores have the best price:range ratio; www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=530&t=20, www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=159&t=20, www.soundstore.co.nz/c-86-headphones.aspx, jaudio.co.nz. There are stores which offer range but are much more expensive, other stores parallel import items are cheaper but are dodgy with very poor customer service.
check out the logitech ue6000

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #26,768 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I sure don't hear some of those cans the same way you do.  For example the Q701 is an excellent can, but this is probably the first time I've seen it described as "fun".  In fact a great many folks (although not me) hear it as too analytical.

My shot in the dark: Grado SR 325is.

Perhaps ‘fun’ isn’t the best description - though directly compared to the DT880, for me, they’re an improvement. Compared to others I auditioned in the same session (I went through half the store trying to find one that stuck) I had the most fun/enjoyment from the Q701. I’ll be first to admit my comparative knowledge of headphone audio traits is ridiculously lacking... That and I’m extremely biased from what I’ve spent much of my time listening to. :/ E.g. I’m very sensitive towards bass.

Regarding your suggestion: how do they fare comfort wise? That was the main issue I had with the MS1 (though I think the sr325is have different pads), that after maybe an hour they’d dig into my ears. Also, I’ve heard that due to their metal construction they’re quite heavy. Regardless, I think I’ll find that a good excuse to drive across town to audition :)

Try to consider this

Ah! Thanks, those were one of my earlier considerations. I’d completely forgotten about them.

The pads are different.  Only you can tell if they are comfortable or not--for you.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #26,769 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
There is no such thing as a closed Q701 or anything close to it.  That sound signature and sound stage is not available in a closed can.

Seriously?  Not even so much as a 'closest possible match'?  I realize it's not possible to recreate exactly, but surely there's something that's the closest contender.

Yes--seriously.  I have never heard a sound stage anything like than of the Q 701 (and their K siblings) from a closed can.

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #26,770 of 29,490
I need some headphone advice ASAP!

My birthday is in about a week and a few days, and I can't decide what headphones I wan't, I'm stuck between, the Sony MDR-V55, Sony MDR-VX600, and the Sony MDR-V6.

My most important concern is sound quality, as in great highs, great lows, and wonderful mids, my second concern is longevity and durability.
Then last is comfort, I would appreciate it if you guys could tell what set these headphones apart from each other.
Also my maximum budget, is that of the Sony MDR-V6 headphones.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #26,772 of 29,490
Quote:
I need some headphone advice ASAP!

My birthday is in about a week and a few days, and I can't decide what headphones I wan't, I'm stuck between, the Sony MDR-V55, Sony MDR-VX600, and the Sony MDR-V6.

My most important concern is sound quality, as in great highs, great lows, and wonderful mids, my second concern is longevity and durability.
Then last is comfort, I would appreciate it if you guys could tell what set these headphones apart from each other.
Also my maximum budget, is that of the Sony MDR-V6 headphones.

Sony slave, I like your name. 

The v6 has it all for one low price. 15+ years of lasting from what my friend saw in a thread. Pretty comfortable to me, though I sweat after extended usage. As monitors, they do their job quite well and can be used for music of all genres.  Some people have said the v55 are a bit clampy. The v600 has a lot more bass than the v6.

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #26,773 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Yes--seriously.  I have never heard a sound stage anything like than of the Q 701 (and their K siblings) from a closed can.

The W5000, while not as wide, comes pretty close.

I have not not heard the very expensive W5000.  Unfortunately it has generated reviews like this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_ATHW5000

Tyll doesn't like them either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back