++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #26,672 of 29,490
Hello, I'm back again. I went about checking more into the Q701s and the HD 598s, and they both seem to be very good for my tastes, but I now have found another problem. You see, I spend lots of time with low bit rate files, thanks to how home producers like to do things (IE not export above 192 kbps, and then run that through Windows Movie Maker, then upload that to youtube, and not sale or provide the original song in any way...). After getting some opinions from people, it seems neither of those headphones can play low bitrate music. Now, I'm probable much more immune to low bitrates then the average audiophile, but I don't think it would be a good idea to take a chance with headphones that can't handle the low bitrate files. Is their a pair of headphones with a sound signature similar to the Q701s or 598s that can handle the low bit-rate files?

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #26,673 of 29,490
I have no idea about that...I want to say that your best bet is to just avoid low-quality sound files...

I don't have the knowledge or experience to say whether a headphone can salvage a poor quality file.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #26,674 of 29,490
Quote:
I have no idea about that...I want to say that your best bet is to just avoid low-quality sound files...

I don't have the knowledge or experience to say whether a headphone can salvage a poor quality file.

Sadly its just unavoidable for what I do. I really like how home producers make their music. If only I could send them all some fancier headphones, then they'd understand!

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #26,675 of 29,490

Sadly its just unavoidable for what I do. I really like how home producers make their music. If only I could send them all some fancier headphones, then they'd understand!

Well, you could go with cheap 'phones... That'd help those poor quality files right? 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 *sigh* Wasn't everything simpler before we all got introduced to good audio?

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #26,677 of 29,490
You should definitely focus on getting some higher bit rate mp3s because their not going to sound any good on extremely compressed files. Your going to hear all types of things that you didnt want to hear with a ton of cans in the price range. Wish you luck!

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #26,678 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I'm back again. I went about checking more into the Q701s and the HD 598s, and they both seem to be very good for my tastes, but I now have found another problem. You see, I spend lots of time with low bit rate files, thanks to how home producers like to do things (IE not export above 192 kbps, and then run that through Windows Movie Maker, then upload that to youtube, and not sale or provide the original song in any way...). After getting some opinions from people, it seems neither of those headphones can play low bitrate music. Now, I'm probable much more immune to low bitrates then the average audiophile, but I don't think it would be a good idea to take a chance with headphones that can't handle the low bitrate files. Is their a pair of headphones with a sound signature similar to the Q701s or 598s that can handle the low bit-rate files?

u will still hear "music" coming out of both headphones...
these are more resolving cans, so u might hear the scars/potholes in the music....
but if u are " more immune" then go for it. :p
i would pick the 598 over the q701.

if u want a more forgiving can that will smother the lowbits...
from my own experience i would shoot for the philips uptown, HM5...shure840.. these are closed cans.
open cans...i recently gotten the ad900x..very enjoyable using it over youtube vids  
i didnt get irritated with the music coming out of this can :p
the other honeyed open can is the hd650...a perplexing can...i loved it..zzzzzz

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #26,679 of 29,490
Hey guys i'm new here and want some suggestions to upgrade from SRH840, i want a detailed headphone and if possible, closed-back, but you may aswell suggest open headphones so i'll check them out! xD
Thanks in advance.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #26,680 of 29,490
Hey guys!

I want to buy some new headphones for my computer.

*Budget 100-130$

* I work at home on my computer (8-12 hours/day) so most important is comfort & I don`t want my ears to sweat

*Open or closed, does not really mater

*On ear or over ear? Because of long hours usage/day are on ear more comfortable ?

* I use them most on skype and music

* Don`t need to be portable

I am looking for a pair of headphones between 150$ and 220$, i value female vocals, midrange smoothness and instrument clarity pretty high.

I recently acquired a Sony MDR-1R headphone from Amazon. I already owned a Senheiser HD439, and was looking for an upgrade.

I haven't given the Sony's more than 6 hours of burn in, but the sibilance of the headphone is just unacceptable to me so far. 

The sound of the HD439's is flat, which i like, but it doesn't have as much detail or separation as i want. So i went with the Sony's for their lush midrange and clarity.

The female vocals are very good, and so is the clarity of instruments... but whenever there is an "s" pronounced, it gets pretty harsh.

I have been looking, and found some Hifiman HE-300 for 220$ on Amazon, i was also looking at some other headphones below that price, but i am afraid i won't be able to drive them properly.

My source is an Ipod Touch 5, and a Sansa Clip+ and a lot of my songs are M4A lossless or high 256kbs+ mp3's.

I don't have an amp nor am able to get one now. The Sony's were very easy to drive, the HD439's were acceptable. So that is my case.

Any recommendations?

For an example of what i usually listen to:

Nightwish, Japanese pop/rock, orchestral/folk songs, Pop with emphasis on vocals. Carpenters, Abba, L'Arc en ciel, rock.
Thank you very much in advance.
to topgt. Your choice of grado sr80 I think is is right on the money, no need for an amp, compliment with your genre of music, but the only lacking part is the comfort. They are bit fatiguing after 2-3 hours of use.

To suguru I would recommend grado sr220. No need for amp.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #26,681 of 29,490
Quote:
Check out the Grado SR 225i and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 & 900X.

Thanks for the reply. 

I searched for all of those headphones online and read some reviews/impressions. The ATH-AD900X seem to be what i may be looking for, and for exactly 216$ on amazon, the price is just at my budget. Thanks for your recommendations.

I prefer around the ear headphones, and i like flat sound signatures. So the Grado's wont be considered.

However, the AD900X's seem like they have pronounced treble... do they get sibilant? Or is the treble not that harsh while being detailed and bright?

I was looking around and found that the best sound for that price range are the AKG Q701, but sadly, i don't have an amp nor have the budget for one, so they have to be ignored.

Once again, thank you for the recommendation.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #26,682 of 29,490
Hi, I need some budget headphones with a max price of about ~$150. I will be using them in noisy places, so they must have a closed/sealed design and have passive sound isolation. They need to be reasonably sturdy, and not prone to breaking under moderate stress, since i take my headphones with me practically everywhere I go. I listen to a lot of power/progressive metal, as well as some rock and classical/orchestral music, and occasionally techno/dubstep. Reading the forums my first guess was the Audio Technica ATH-M50, but I got the impression that they are extremely overrated, and that their new design has only made it worse. Obviously as I am on a budget, I cannot afford a portable amp, so I need something with relatively low impedance. What do you recommend?

Thanks

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #26,683 of 29,490
Quote:
to topgt. Your choice of grado sr80 I think is is right on the money, no need for an amp, compliment with your genre of music, but the only lacking part is the comfort. They are bit fatiguing after 2-3 hours of use.

To suguru I would recommend grado sr220. No need for amp.

Thanks for the reply, but i prefer over-ear heaphones. I also listen to a wide variety of music, so while i'm sure Nightwish would sound awesome with them, others wouldn't because of the sound signature of Grado headphones. 

Thanks again.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #26,684 of 29,490
Hey everyone:

I'm looking for the absolute best sound that I can get for under 100$. over ear, in ear, whatever-ear doesn't matter to me as look as two things are present: bass, and music quality that makes even non-audiophiles go "Wow". I just came from xb500s which I have outgrown (they broke, i rebought them and realized that im ready to try something new so i returned them).

At first I would have said "no in ear" but honestly if it sounds good then bring it on, just like I said, bass bass bass.

oh and no other extra equipment like amps etc...i use this on my laptop for music, youtube videos, more music, and then iphone for music.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #26,685 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys i'm new here and want some suggestions to upgrade from SRH840, i want a detailed headphone and if possible, closed-back, but you may aswell suggest open headphones so i'll check them out! xD
Thanks in advance.

What is your budget?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back