++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 28, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #26,611 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh, yes, trust me. I follow those charts way more than I should. I'm getting people to tell me not to look at them, because I analyze them to absolute death. When I point out something on those charts, I don't just stop there, oh no, I have to go into a full on rant about how that little section of the chart affects the mind. The 598s are almost exactly what I want in a response chart, but the section between 1.5 and 2.8 khz is less than the HD 280s. I have heard that the 598s have much stronger presentation of the mids, but I look at that part right there and see its even less then the 280s, and I happen to be EQing that part up! Thanks for your time.

Looky looky what was found just for you. It's as if Jebus shimself created the deal. Extend your budget slightly (insert peer pressure here). Grab that and a simple amp/DAC such as an E10 and call it a day. There's a reason you keep getting recommended the Q701.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #26,612 of 29,490
Hello all! I currently own these : http://www.frys.com/product/7152912?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG I really like the steez but would not mind going up a step or two, maybe up to $150- So, to those who have or have had Steez but upgraded...what did you upgrade to and why?

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #26,613 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all! I currently own these : http://www.frys.com/product/7152912?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG I really like the steez but would not mind going up a step or two, maybe up to $150- So, to those who have or have had Steez but upgraded...what did you upgrade to and why?

Hola. Help everyone here out by answering some questions...
  1. Budget of $150.
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #26,614 of 29,490

Hola. Help everyone here out by answering some questions...
  1. Budget of $150.
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

I plan to use them mainly at home, from a laptop computer or desktop, and for now, I am not using an amp. I would prefer for my music not to be heard by others around me but if it "leaks" a tad, its ok. I listen to everything from Barry Manilow to Atreyu, from Cirque du Soliel to Dean Martin; I might also use them for online gaming, but mic not nessacary. I am not sure what you mean by signature... I apologize.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #26,615 of 29,490
Hi guys,

still on my quest on finding my best budget set up for home and office use. so far the number 1 candidate in my mind is the Soundmagic hp100, it falls right on my budget and has some very good reviews if one wishes to listen to a whole lot of music genre. what do you guys think about this cans? i also plan to get the fiio e11 to have a little control of the bass. this set up is a spot on my budget which is 300usd. please advise if getting this pair is a wise decision. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #26,616 of 29,490
Hi guys,

still on my quest on finding my best budget set up for home and office use. so far the number 1 candidate in my mind is the Soundmagic hp100, it falls right on my budget and has some very good reviews if one wishes to listen to a whole lot of music genre. what do you guys think about this cans? i also plan to get the fiio e11 to have a little control of the bass. this set up is a spot on my budget which is 300usd. please advise if getting this pair is a wise decision. 

I had this combo and it was very good. The Soundmagic HP100's are very good headphones that don't get a lot of attention around here. I think you'll be happy.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #26,617 of 29,490
Hello! I'm relatively new here, so I thought I'd make the jump into the forums here and ask what people think I should get. For the past 2 years, I've owned the HD 280 Pros. Thank to these, I've been able to produce music much better then I could before. Now, though, I'm looking for something more. After spending a long time analyzing them, I've realized they have a muddy midbass/lowmids, and have weak higher mids. After spending some time EQing (down between 220 and 622 hz, up between 1.8 and 7 khz), they now sound way better. I can definitely see how much better my sound could be if I upgraded.

I would like some headphones that are neutral for my price range ($200 to $250 max), do not really need an amp (or only improve by say 10% at most with one), are able to play classical, rock, soundtrack (especially the video game type!), and as many types of electronic music as possible. I produce dubstep, house, etc., so that last part is very important.

Now then, that last one seems to throw people off, because I do not look for what most people look for when it comes to playing EDM well. I am not a bass head. I often listen to music through my laptop speakers, which don't even play anything below 100 hz, and are very rolled off in the lower end.  I am also not a treble head, so please aim for something more neutral in your suggestion.

So, with my budget, and strange taste in Frequency Response for EDM, I was very much considering the HD 598s. They seem to fit my need for bass (in fact, they look like they have way too much), my need for good mids, and being relatively laid back. Would anyone suggest otherwise? And if you do believe there is something better for me, what would it be? Thank you for your time.

edit: I left some stuff off it seems. I would love it if these were comfortable, which is another big reason for the 598s. I also really want a big sound stage. I would like to have open headphones, please.

Seems like the HD598 would work for you. Not huge bass so I wouldn't worry about that. Not as comfortable for me as I thought they'd be, but comfortable enough.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #26,618 of 29,490
I've posted about this a couple pages back, but I'm hoping for some more opinions on this. Essentially, I'm looking for pair of headphones that are... 

-Around €150-200
-Preferably open cans, with a wide soundstage, strong bass and decent treble
-For electronic and instrumental music, specifically electro, downtempo, orchestral, trip-hop, hip-hop,  etc
-Will be powered by an Asus Xonar DGX
-Mainly for 320kbps mp3's

After doing a bit of research, I've come across two that seem to be decent:

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250ohm). I can get one for €140 which is relatively cheap, it seems like a nice choice with good bass and a reasonably wide soundstage too. Problem is that I've heard mixed reviews about the treble (possibly when underamped?), plus I may be limited by my sound card. 

Sony MDR-MD900. I was recommended this when I posted earlier in this thread and it looks line a solid option. The problem is that the reviews of this as a whole seems to be rather mixed, plus I really have no idea how it compares to the DT990's. It also costs €30 more, though I I'm not too concerned about that. 

Also, I was also looking at the Philips Fidelio L1 and Audio Technica ATH-A900X and the general impression I got from them weren't particularly good, but I thought I'd mention them anyways in case I'm wrong about that. 

Anyways, what do you guys think would be best? At this point I'm really not sure which of the two to go with, or if I should consider something completely different.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #26,619 of 29,490
Quote:

Looky looky what was found just for you. It's as if Jebus shimself created the deal. Extend your budget slightly (insert peer pressure here). Grab that and a simple amp/DAC such as an E10 and call it a day. There's a reason you keep getting recommended the Q701.

Okay, fine. Fine fine fine. Maybe these are the headphones for me, but I hear and see a lot of things that make me hesitant.  Some say it is very bright. I don't know whether bright is a good thing. It seems to be pretty flat, so I'll have to just hope it has to do with their source. But what I see when I do look at the charts, though, is a really powerful mid bass and lower mids. Its about 5 db more than my 280s!

I do like the look though! How comfortable are they, and how is the sound stage? they are open, right? They have an atypical look from most headphones....

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #26,620 of 29,490
Huge gamer here, but also with audiophile tendencies, im looking for something that can basically rattle my head with bass, but still has amazing clarity with high's and mid's, i also want to know sound card(this will be on a PC) and dac/amp choices which would be best. price limit of around 2k for all. I prefer over ear/closed, on ear kills after about 2 hours for me.

basically im looking for my headset to be a ath-ad700 with more bass, less FLIPPING GIGANTIC, but the same (or better) mids,and definitely better highs(the ad700's crackle at the 4k range), as well as some style due to the fact that i stream, with a nice amp/dac and sound card(currently have the fatality recon3d...its....a purchase i regret...), no i dont care about an attached mic.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #26,621 of 29,490
I would recommend the next headphone in the line the AD900 as they go for very cheap now. They're an improvement in all aspects of the AD700 especially the bass and they're also smaller and much lighter. You can also replace the pads of your AD700 or if you get the AD900 with the W5000 leather pads as it improves the bass trememdously. The only problems I have with the AD900 is that the drivers aren't angled so they touch your ear (It takes some use to forget it) and they're styling is very minimal, quite utilitarian actually

For the soundcard and DAC/Amp I would recommend using a Behringer UCA-202 or 222 interface control instead of a soundcard or DAC as theres a RCA analog output on it and it connects to the computer via usb. For the amp I would recommend getting one from audio-technica as they were designed to use with these headphones, any of them would be an excellent compliment to the headphones.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #26,622 of 29,490
Hello Everyone

I'm looking for headphones with the sound signature and quality similar of that of Beyerdynamic's DT-48 line. I would like them to be comfortable and  closed backed and hopefully under 300$. Powering them is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #26,623 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay, fine. Fine fine fine. Maybe these are the headphones for me, but I hear and see a lot of things that make me hesitant.  Some say it is very bright. I don't know whether bright is a good thing. It seems to be pretty flat, so I'll have to just hope it has to do with their source. But what I see when I do look at the charts, though, is a really powerful mid bass and lower mids. Its about 5 db more than my 280s!

I do like the look though! How comfortable are they, and how is the sound stage? they are open, right? They have an atypical look from most headphones....

The Q701 has a very nice and detailed treble that is somewhat bright, but definitely not fatiguing to my ears. Coming from something like the 280 which is particularly dark and awful with the treble (and everywhere else), it's going to be an adjustment. It will be less so or an adjustment with the 598, but it's still a night and day difference. Both can will definitely be less forgiving on bad quality audio, moreso with the Q701. If you are really really worried about it, the 598 is the safer bet.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #26,624 of 29,490
Quote:

For the soundcard and DAC/Amp I would recommend using a Behringer UCA-202 or 222 interface control instead of a soundcard or DAC as theres a RCA analog output on it and it connects to the computer via usb. For the amp I would recommend getting one from audio-technica as they were designed to use with these headphones, any of them would be an excellent compliment to the headphones.

I use a laptop for my office music with no soundcard.. I'm interested in hearing more about that audio interface.. do you have experience with it?

Is it pretty much an external sound card? (some reviews mention it on amazon)

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #26,625 of 29,490
Hey all!

I'm new with full size headphones and I would be grateful for your time and knowledge. I want to transition from IEMs to full size headphones but i'm completely lost, just like when I joined Head-fi. I'm still new to this so i'll try to be as cohesive and precise as I can. 

My girlfriend recently bought a Denon AH-D1100  which is the main reason for my transition. I was very impressed with the sound, it was, for me, much more engaging than IEMs. However, I wanted something more. To give some sort of perspective, I found the D1100 to have slightly more bass impact than I prefer, sometimes bleeding into the mid-range, making it seem recessed. It did not reach too far down either. The mids were decent, they were smooth but I would like more detail. The highs were smooth and detailed, not recessed, no harshness and rarely did I get sibilance so no big qualms there. What put me off though were the soundstage and instrument separation, enough that it erased all consideration to buy my own pair. It sounded cramped and muddy.

In addition, my IEM of choice out of my meager inventory is the TDK IE800, which I absolutely love.  

My preferences would be:
-Lows that reach far down, not basshead quantity, but enough rumble and not one note bass. Good impact but nothing overpowering. Punches when the song calls for it, fast and accurate.
-Smooth and really detailed mids, liquid. Ever so slightly mid-forward with very natural vocals. I want good voice timbre. 
-Again, smooth highs. Just some sparkle but not so smooth that its non-existent. No harshness and never piercing. I find the highs to be the hardest to discern and i'm still not quite sure how I like it.
-Decent soundstage, nothing massive, just more depth and wider than the D1100. Excellent instrument separation, I listen to a lot of indie rock and I'm only realizing now just how many layers of music there are, it's addicting. Excellent detail across the frequencies. Nothing to warm or v-shaped either. 

As for comfort, I found the D1100 to be decent, it wasn't heavy but it wasn't completely comfortable. Closed or open, doesn't matter but preferably closed. I'll be using these in my room exclusively so that is flexible. Circum-aural only unless something supra-aural ticks most/all the boxes. 

This might earn the scoffs of some but I probably will not mod the headphones too much. Very simple mods like changing pads but definitely not opening or modifying the cups.

My budget is $300, my DAC/amp is the Audinst HUD-mx2. 

I've considered Mrspeakers Mad Dogs and Soundmagic HP100, however the MDs look mighty attractive in almost all aspects. I posted here because I know I have not read about a TON of excellent headphones so any direction would be awesome. 

Apologies for the wall of text but thanks for reading my request. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back