++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #26,626 of 29,490
Quote:

The Q701 has a very nice and detailed treble that is somewhat bright, but definitely not fatiguing to my ears. Coming from something like the 280 which is particularly dark and awful with the treble (and everywhere else), it's going to be an adjustment. It will be less so or an adjustment with the 598, but it's still a night and day difference. Both can will definitely be less forgiving on bad quality audio, moreso with the Q701. If you are really really worried about it, the 598 is the safer bet.

Hey Hey Hey, the 280s can be really brought out with my EQ settings :p In fact, vocals can give me chills for some songs with them now.  Guitars still sound lack luster, though. I have a 3 db boost between 1.8 khz and 5 khz (then it slops back down and ends  at 20 khz), and a dip of 4 db between 220 and 440 hz, and a dip of 2 db between 440 and 622 hz, using Foobar. The midbass and low mids are very muddy on these, sadly. The Q701s are nothing like that, right? It looks like that section is way stronger then I would like. If you look at the 2 charts in comparison, the Q701s average about 4 db more in the treble, so slightly brighter then my 280s setting? But I'm pretty sure it has a lot more to do then just the frequency response for why its considered bright. How does it handle vocals compared to the 598s?

edit: Also, would the Q701s work with the E11? That's a little cheaper then the E10s.

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #26,628 of 29,490
Quote:
Any buzz on the upcoming Onkyos? http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=ES-HF300&class=Headphones&p=i They definitely are stylish.

Looks like a tribute to the Porta-Pros. Thumbs up from me... I didn't even know Okyo made headphones.. just saw some 1970's Okyo H-03A's in the vintage thread.. interesting O_O

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #26,629 of 29,490
Quote:
Both can will definitely be less forgiving on bad quality audio, moreso with the Q701.

By bad quality audio, do you mean poorly mastered, or low bitrate/low samplerate audio? A lot of the mp3s I have I made back when I had $5 earbuds and a 1 GB mp3 player. With some songs, I still can't hear the difference, bit with others... I might have some problems with the Q701s. I'm thinking the Q701s might really fit my ideal frequency response, though.

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #26,630 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey Hey Hey, the 280s can be really brought out with my EQ settings :p In fact, vocals can give me chills for some songs with them now.  Guitars still sound lack luster, though. I have a 3 db boost between 1.8 khz and 5 khz (then it slops back down and ends  at 20 khz), and a dip of 4 db between 220 and 440 hz, and a dip of 2 db between 440 and 622 hz, using Foobar. The midbass and low mids are very muddy on these, sadly. The Q701s are nothing like that, right? It looks like that section is way stronger then I would like. If you look at the 2 charts in comparison, the Q701s average about 4 db more in the treble, so slightly brighter then my 280s setting? But I'm pretty sure it has a lot more to do then just the frequency response for why its considered bright. How does it handle vocals compared to the 598s?

edit: Also, would the Q701s work with the E11? That's a little cheaper then the E10s.

hehe I will politely disagree and say that, in my opinion, the 280 can't do a single thing right and is about the worst value in the market. Yes, the Q701 is nothing like it, but stop looking at the charts and let your ears decide. Like when you say this is 4db more responsive than that, there's no point in critiquing them with that much detail. Sure, something could respond better than another, but your ears may read it completely different because of the quality and other aspects of that sound.

Vocals, I personally prefer the Q701. In fact, I prefer almost all aspects of the Q701 over the 598, except comfort. With your question on the E11, I don't know. The reason it's cheaper is because it's a portable amp vs the E10 with is a small desktop amp/DAC. You'll need to ask in the amp threads for feedback on that.

By bad quality audio, do you mean poorly mastered, or low bitrate/low samplerate audio? A lot of the mp3s I have I made back when I had $5 earbuds and a 1 GB mp3 player. With some songs, I still can't hear the difference, bit with others... I might have some problems with the Q701s. I'm thinking the Q701s might really fit my ideal frequency response, though.

Since I find them to be more detailed and analytical, the Q701 will pick up mastering errors more easily and more artifacts from lower bit rate files. That's my experience with them, at least. I don't think much more can be said here. Get to a store and try out what you can.

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #26,631 of 29,490
Quote:
I have a friend at work asking about a recommendation and I want to get all of your feedback before I recommend anything to her.
  1. Budget of $100. Could spend a little more if there's something significantly awesome out there that will work for her.
  2. Plans to use them at work and at home. All indoors.
  3. She's shy about her sound leaking out, so they should be closed cans.
  4. Listens to rock, alternative, and a fair amount of female vocalists. Usually listens to low quality source material like Pandora.
  5. Connects directly to an iMac or portable iDevices. Will not be using an amp, so it should be fairly efficient.
  6. She doesn't know the signature she's looking for and physical comfort is key. Says she generally feels her head pounding after a couple hours of listening with some other cans she has (will identify the current model soon), so you'll probably want to recommend something with light clamping force.

Have at it.

A quick update on this. I let her try my MDR-1R and SRH940, each for a day. Figured it would help her and I get a better idea as to what she's looking for since I consider them to be very good, contrasting, closed cans. She preferred the SRH940 because "they sound sparkly" and are "tingling (her) senses". I figured this would be the case considering the music she listens to. She didn't hate the signature of the 1R, but she did hate the pleather as it made her head too hot. She's very sensitive to the clamping pressure and material.

So knowing the original feedback and reading her new feedback which looks like it requires velour pads, what are you guys thinking now?

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #26,632 of 29,490
Quote:

hehe I will politely disagree and say that, in my opinion, the 280 can't do a single thing right and is about the worst value in the market. Yes, the Q701 is nothing like it, but stop looking at the charts and let your ears decide. Like when you say this is 4db more responsive than that, there's no point in critiquing them with that much detail. Sure, something could respond better than another, but your ears may read it completely different because of the quality and other aspects of that sound.

Vocals, I personally prefer the Q701. In fact, I prefer almost all aspects of the Q701 over the 598, except comfort. With your question on the E11, I don't know. The reason it's cheaper is because it's a portable amp vs the E10 with is a small desktop amp/DAC. You'll need to ask in the amp threads for feedback on that.

Since I find them to be more detailed and analytical, the Q701 will pick up mastering errors more easily and more artifacts from lower bit rate files. That's my experience with them, at least. I don't think much more can be said here. Get to a store and try out what you can.

Wait, weren't you the one to recommend me to look at the charts to find an idea about how they sound? XD

I'm sorry I'm bothering everyone by doing this, but I have no way to audition headphones, so the only thing I can do is ask thousands of questions. It turns out the one store that does auditioning only does auditioning for the HD600s, 650s, and 700s. Also a few Grados.

And I completely understand that the headphones are affected by other things than the Frequency Response, but its one of the few things I have to go off of. I have to disagree, though, that 4db is being too detailed. If a 1 db EQ for a single instrument is enough to completely change a mix, a 4 db difference for the entire mix is absolutely huge! Then again, since it affects the whole mix, there isn't a ratio change, but still, the effect is gigantic. Q701 has a thread about amps, and some say the E11s work very well with them, and the others say they don't work at all. Many recommend the E10s instead.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #26,633 of 29,490
So I have Astro A40's right now which i bought years ago and now I am to the point where I can not wear them because they give me the worst headache ever do to the top band. So I am looking for some new headphones. I would be using them on my computer and iPhone mainly, I would be gaming on my computer / listening to Hip/Hop and some Dubstep. 

Price Range:
100-200$

What is most important:
-Comfort, I need to be able to wear for them for hours and not feel a thing!
-Bass, I love quality bass

Well thanks for all the help in advance.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #26,634 of 29,490
I would check out the following (I have listened to them all very recently):

1. Beyer-Dynamic 770 Pro 250 ohm (this one might require an amp to get the volume up where you really want it)
  2. Ultrasone HFI 780: I recently had over $2,000 worth of headphones in my house, and of everything I had, these were the ones I kept. Very realistic sound and solid bass response.

I think those two are going to be good bets for bass and comfort. You could also check out the V-MODA M100s...listening to those things is like being in a frickin club. However, the ear cups are small and I found them to be uncomfortable after a while.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #26,635 of 29,490
Could I just get the 

[size=1.7em] Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms[/size]

Then not require an AMP and still use them with PC and my iPhone ?

Or should I just get the 250ohms and an cheap amp...

And does the AMP make the quality any better? 

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #26,636 of 29,490
I don't have experience with the 80 ohm model. An amp will improve both sound quality and volume. You might do some research to see how the 80 ohm model compares to the 250 ohm model in terms of bass response.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #26,637 of 29,490
You really might check out the Ultrasone HFI 780s though...they have really sparkling highs and good detail on the lows. Furthermore, if you got an amp with a bass-boost circuit (many have them) you could kick that up.

The Beyers are great and super, super comfy, but kind of flat in sound. I also tried the Ultrasound PRO 900s, but they were way too harsh on the highs. I have the PRO 750s coming tomorrow. I'm hoping they combine the sound of the 780s with the comfort of the 900s.

The bottom line is that you can never, ever know which set of headphones you will like best in terms of comfort and sound until you try them. My advise is to shell out the cash for Amazon Prime (which you can split with 4 of your friends and/or family to reduce the cost), order a bunch of sets, and then return the ones you want. That's what I did.

Also, whatever you do, DO NOT get the AKG 267 Tiesto's. They are supposedly a "DJ" headphone, but they were just stupid, pointless cans. Weak-ass bass, mushy kids...just terrible. The AKG K550s will likely disappoint you too, unless you have a giant melon of a head, in which case they would fit well.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #26,638 of 29,490
I am really looking at the Beyers I really don't like the look of the HFI's. I will do more research interms of the ohms and I do have prime.. If I don't like the headset I will return them like you said no problem and try something else. Do you know of any threads or videos about the 770 Pros and ohms? Thanks in advance!

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #26,640 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for headphones that has a good all-round sound. Will be used for gaming, movies and music (mainly classic and rock).

Budget is ~170$. Can be stretched slightly if the buy justifies it.

For that money I'm planning to get optimal sound on my computer. So maybe i should buy a cheap sound card for about 50$ (like ASUS Xonar DX/D1) and use the remaining amount for the headphones (i.e. ~120$), as the only sound card I have is a useless one integrated in the motherboard.

I have a pretty small head ("snug fit" = probably not an issue) and quite sensitive ears (no need for high volume capability). Open/closed cans is not a biggie either.

I've been spending about a week trying to find the best solution, but I'm not experienced enough. Help greatly appreciated! Sorry if the question feels slightly undefined.

Best Regards, Swesse

Go to the computer audio section of the forum first.  Ask for soundcard (+/-) amp recommendations that fit your budget.  After you settle on your soundcard, come back here with your remaining budget; tell us what your soundcard is (especially if it includes an amp); and tell us the sound signature you are seeking--as well as if you are OK with open cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back