++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #26,372 of 29,490
Quote:
treble head? Did I just hear that? Orthos are pretty dark in comparison to stats and dynamics. LCD-2 is already considered pretty colored and dark when comparing them to other phones. 

I don't know about that...the HE-6s are too bright for my tastes (brighter than my HD800s). I certainly consider the LCD-2 more balanced and "real" than coloured too. 
size]
 Have you heard the LCD-2s?

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #26,373 of 29,490
I don't know about that...the HE-6s are too bright for my tastes (brighter than my HD800s). I certainly consider the LCD-2 more balanced and "real" than coloured too. 
size]

I have not heard them. I believe that with velour, the treble was fine. So i was jw if the treble is comparable to the HE-400

treble head? Did I just hear that? Orthos are pretty dark in comparison to stats and dynamics. LCD-2 is already considered pretty colored and dark when comparing them to other phones. 

Yeah i made up a word haha :p and you think they can be eqed to have more treble via itunes?

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #26,374 of 29,490
Looking for some closed sub 200$ headphones, right now I have ATH-AD700 witch are really good for gaming but lack something while listening to music and some shure se-215 iems witch I cant use for long periods of time. These would be mostly for music either from my receiver or computer with a FIIO E10dac/amp. I also hate earphone that sit on the ear and prefer velour pads, but dont mind pleather. Im also looking to pick them up locally (west end of Montreal)

Music I listen to

A7X
Threedays grace
Stone Sour
Ozzy
70's heavy Metal
Satriani
Gilbert
Vai
Malmsteen
Classic Rock

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #26,375 of 29,490
Quote:
I have not heard them. I believe that with velour, the treble was fine. So i was jw if the treble is comparable to the HE-400
Yeah i made up a word haha :p and you think they can be eqed to have more treble via itunes?

Well, I don't mean for them to be that bad haha. They're decent assuming you like the ortho signature in general. Yeah, the probably can.
Oh, it's fine, I was just commenting on how you'd probably be able to handle it since you are. 
Quote:
size]

I have. Sorry if I'm over emphasizing Alexander 
wink.gif

They're not super colored, but they lean on the darker side for me. Not terribly bad at all. Just that when compared to electrostats and dynamic phones, they're like that.  

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #26,376 of 29,490
Quote:
Well, I don't mean for them to be that bad haha. They're decent assuming you like the ortho signature in general. Yeah, the probably can.
Oh, it's fine, I was just commenting on how you'd probably be able to handle it since you are. 
I have. Sorry if I'm over emphasizing Alexander 
wink.gif

They're not super colored, but they lean on the darker side for me. Not terribly bad at all. Just that when compared to electrostats and dynamic phones, they're like that.  

No worries, but I was really disagreeing with your comments on orthos are dark. The HE-6s are certainly not. I agree that they do lean on the darker side of natural. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #26,378 of 29,490
I love the separation of the He-400, which I think is an ortho thing. I really do like my Q701's, and won't part with them, despite my crappy DIY cable that so desperately needs to be professionally made lol. I think that the He-400 with velour would get probably equal listening time, if not more, than the Q791, they just lack that sparkle. So if the LCD's can give me that extra little sparkle, I think they would be perfect :D thanks for all ur help btw!

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #26,379 of 29,490
Hi peeps.
Looking for recommendations on good headies for psytrance production..
Since I havnt been able to use my Tapco S8 monitors I have been using my Pioneer HDJ 500's which I initially got for DJing and I know they don't have the sound quality I need. I have been researching for days now and cant make a decision. Everything from Audio Technica ATH M50, Senheiser HD280, Beyerdynamic DT's and more
Im looking for something around $300 give or take.. with a fairly neutral signature, and plenty of definition and clarity in all areas especially bass. I tend to go a bit overboard with bass frequencies when I write so if they have a bit of extra bass that would probably help me keep it to the desired level. I will be wearing them for hours on end so comfort is also important..
I will be plugging into my PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL which is a USB soundcard. The headphone jack at max power is 30mW/ch @ 60ohm load..
Ive been particularly drawn to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 and 880. Both of these are owned by friends who write/listen to psy and they rate them but they dont have much experience with other sets.. Ive been looking at the 880 600ohm but im guessing my soundcard wont power them adequately..
So.. help? 
triportsad.gif

CHeers
YoBi 

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #26,381 of 29,490
Hello, i am new to the forum and decided to sign up since i am looking for a pair of headphones to replace my recently broken sennheiser hd 202's. Since i was not impressed with them i was looking for a new pair of either open or closed (preferably closed) over ear headphones under/around $300 mark to listen to music and play games on my computer, something that will wow me hopefully as well as not hurt after hours of gaming. My dad is an audiophile and i am kind of spoilt listening to naim equipment all the time and would like some nice sounding headphones. I mostly listen to un-copyrighted rap but also trance, rock, pop, and punk. classical/opera are the genres i do not listen to which is why i am posting this. I was looking at the sennheiser hd 598's but they are more suited towards the genres i do not listen to. Also wondering what else i would need to get, AMP, sound card etc. I know pretty much nothing about headphones so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #26,382 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones, and don't want to hurt the wallet *too* much. I currently have Bose AE1s, and despite all their negative press, they are the best sounding headphones I have heard so far, even compared to ATH-M50s, Sennheiser 555s (which have more soundstage), and a number of others I have had the chance to compare side by side. My current dream would be the M50s plus the AE1s in one, but one can only dream.

All of that said, I am looking for a really neutral and flat response pair of headphones. I want to hear the music as it was intended to sound. I am currently considering the German Maestro GMP 8.35 D or the Denon AH-D5000. The GMPs I can get for $200, and the Denons for $440. Given that the GMPs are less than half the price, and seem to review nearly as well, I am wondering if there is really such a big step (or a $240 step) between the two. I've heard people say "oh, this is what a $440 pair of headphones sound like" or "the wood creates an entirely different atmosphere" or "I've never heard anything that is quite as good as these". Whilst all that is well and good, is the community consensus that the Denons are out of this world and a superb headphone, possibly worth $240 more than the GMPs?

These will be combined with my Juli@ sound card, and my Bushmaster DAC.

Any help, comparisons, and experiences you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Kind regards,

sabrehagen

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #26,383 of 29,490
Just gonna say my 2 cents, diminishing returns. 240 better could be only marginally better, but that margin does cost a lot.

This hobby is all about diminishing returns.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #26,384 of 29,490
Hi guys, I was looking for a new headphone and I am looking for some help here. I need a headphone that have clear vocal, clarity and rich sound while bass is really not a requirement. Most of the time I will use it on movies and music, and some gaming. I am also looking forward for it to have sufficient amount of noise isolation and comfortable as I sometimes wear it for long hours. And I am using it for me desktop with a Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro USB Sound Card so it needs not be portable (despite the fact that my sound card is USB). Last but not least, I am in quite a tight budget here at around $70 and I only have my eyes on Audio-Techica ATH-T500 and Sennheiser HD 203. Any recommendation and comments on my current choice is appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #26,385 of 29,490
I'm not really getting any answers here but I'll try again. Could anyone compare the bass quantity of an open can like a q701 or hd598 to a closed can like mdr7506, mdr 1r, or dt770 pro 80. They will only be amped by a fiio e11. I have some sr80is and they don't have enough bass.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back