++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #26,401 of 29,490
Quote:
is it a good buy for a new sony mdr-1r for $150? does any headphone can beat its sound quality within this price range?

Weather something sounds better is up to you?? What kind of sound you're looking for isolation comfort, all subjective. For example in the same price range I personally like the a900x from Audio Technica. They are very comfortable have a an amazingly wide sound stage for a closed can and just the right amount of bass. They're definitely worth a look.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATHA900X

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #26,402 of 29,490
Quote:
thank you for your reply, i think i have made up my mind now to grab it :)

btw i saw your signature that you have some amps, does the mdr-1r improve when pairing with amps? thx in advance

The 1R is meant to run directly off of iDevices and any other type of portable player. They are extremely efficient and sound great without an amp. The only reason I have an amp in my office setup is because I will sometimes switch to my DT770 Pro instead.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #26,403 of 29,490
Quote:

Weather something sounds better is up to you?? What kind of sound you're looking for isolation comfort, all subjective. For example in the same price range I personally like the a900x from Audio Technica. They are very comfortable have a an amazingly wide sound stage for a closed can and just the right amount of bass. They're definitely worth a look.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATHA900X

i need neutral sounding headphone and based on the review it is quite neutral

Quote:

The 1R is meant to run directly off of iDevices and any other type of portable player. They are extremely efficient and sound great without an amp. The only reason I have an amp in my office setup is because I will sometimes switch to my DT770 Pro instead.

so there is no difference if i put it on e12? planning to purchase e12 to pair with my ipod video when it is coming out in april

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #26,404 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyh03176 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

so there is no difference if i put it on e12? planning to purchase e12 to pair with my ipod video when it is coming out in april

I have used them extensively for the last two week with and without my E09K amp and have heard absolutely no difference in sound signature. Only volume has changed and it's worthless because they get plenty loud without the amp.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #26,406 of 29,490
Quote:

i need neutral sounding headphone and based on the review it is quite neutral

If you're looking for neutral the 1r is definitely your can and zero reason to add an amp with them. That's part of the reason why they were giving them away with the sony cell phones was because thats all you need to power them. Portable players laptops and what not will have zero problem pushing them. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #26,407 of 29,490
I would personally go with the HE-5LE since its a rare gem that is on close out pricing. Then you will have ample cash for a quality DAC/Amp.
Quote:

Interesting. I thought they were pretty neutral vs being warm. Looking through my original post, what would you be recommending?

Quote:
Quote:
I tried to get some feedback from the AD appreciation crowd, but it was pretty minimal so I'm checking with the general recommendation thread group. I'm not currently in the market for a new can, but I wanted to start my research early so when it does happen (probably in a few months), I will have tested a fair amount of equipment and can continue with an educated decision.

First some background every understands where I'm coming from. I use two closed cans at work (MDR-1R and SRH940), one open can for gaming (K702), and one open can for home music (AD700). I have loved the sound and detail my AD700 since I originally bought it for my gaming rig, but it's about the most uncomfortable thing you've ever put on your head, so I picked up the K702 and relegated the AD700 back to my home music rig which sees about the least amount of playtime from me. Now I'm looking to replace it again.

1. I don't have a set budget on this purchase. Maybe $800-1000? My priority is my happiness and I'm willing to spend a decent amount to get there.
  2. These will be strictly for home use and never taken outside. The majority of the time will be spent in a seat, on a couch, or laying down and just listening to music. I envision a small percentage will be spent on watching movies as well.
  3. I have no isolation needs what so ever. They can be wide open and I prefer them to be.
  4. I know people hate hearing this answer, but my musical tastes are all over the place. Format can be MP3, AAC, FLAC, and AppleLossless. Bit rates for the lossy format are generally 320kbps, but there is probably a small portion of my library that can dip down to 192kbps.
  5. The major source will be an Apple Macbook Pro, but it may every once in a while come from a higher end Pioneer receiver (can't recall the model at this time). I have not decided on an amp yet, but I will be sure it pairs well with the cans that I choose. No budget has been set yet, but I anticipate $300-600.
  6. I am looking for a neutral signature with quality sound throughout all frequencies. I love crisp detail in the highs and quick/punchy lows. The soundstage sound be expansive to help pinpoint the detail. If I could compare it to something everyone has heard, think of an uber AD700 with a little more punchy bass.

I have the Audeze LCD2 on my list. I'd like to get a group of maybe 3 or 4 to try out in total. What else should go on that list?

I also would like recommendations of cans that I can try with contrasting signatures to the one I'm describing above just so I can be sure that what I'm looking for is really what I want.

As always, thanks for all of your help. Thoughts? Feedback?

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #26,408 of 29,490
Hello Everyone, I'm new here, this is my first post.

I'm looking for a nice set of headphones to use with my M17x.

Budget - $400 - $500
Music Preferences - Mostly trance, I like my bass.
Preferences by design  - I'd like these to be over-ear. The budget should cover a set that is comfortable, and copes well with gaming. Colors don't matter. I want a quality headset.

I'm fairly new to the headphone world, so I'm not sure if I'll need an amp or not. I'm hoping to get some good advice here. If anymore information is needed, do ask. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #26,409 of 29,490
Budget - $100-150
Music Preferences - i like the bass. i like some post grunge and drum and bass. i like techno sometimes. and sometimes rap (but sparingly)
Preferences by design  - either over ear or in ear
was looking at AT- m50s and see that they arent sold by best buy.(wanted the rewards points).. are they outdated now or something? is there a newer model? i can still get them on amazon if its the ideal headphone..

i have beats in ear ones right now and reading this site seems to make me feel like i made a bad choice with those so im looking to replace them
im new here this is like my second post..
thanks for the help !

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #26,410 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget - $100-150
Music Preferences - i like the bass. i like some post grunge and drum and bass. i like techno sometimes. and sometimes rap (but sparingly)
Preferences by design  - either over ear or in ear
was looking at AT- m50s and see that they arent sold by best buy.(wanted the rewards points).. are they outdated now or something? is there a newer model? i can still get them on amazon if its the ideal headphone..

i have beats in ear ones right now and reading this site seems to make me feel like i made a bad choice with those so im looking to replace them
im new here this is like my second post..
thanks for the help !

If you are set on best buy and interested in bass emphasis check out the UE6000.  A tad higher in price at $199 but the M50 is not a bass monster if that is what you are looking for.   

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #26,412 of 29,490
Quote:
I would personally go with the HE-5LE since its a rare gem that is on close out pricing. Then you will have ample cash for a quality DAC/Amp.

Yeah? You think it fits the signature I'm looking for...

Originally Posted by roguegeek

I am looking for a neutral signature with quality sound throughout all frequencies. I love crisp detail in the highs and quick/punchy lows. The soundstage sound be expansive to help pinpoint the detail. If I could compare it to something everyone has heard, think of an uber AD700 with a little more punchy bass.

...better than the HE-500?

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #26,413 of 29,490
Yeah? You think it fits the signature I'm looking for...

...better than the HE-500?
Oh yes, exactly what you're looking for. Not to mention it comes with two detachable cables, XLR and SE terminated, you also get a rare XLR to 1/4 TRS adapter, and a hard or soft case, plus extra cushions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back