++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #26,416 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget - $100-150
Music Preferences - i like the bass. i like some post grunge and drum and bass. i like techno sometimes. and sometimes rap (but sparingly)
Preferences by design  - either over ear or in ear
was looking at AT- m50s and see that they arent sold by best buy.(wanted the rewards points).. are they outdated now or something? is there a newer model? i can still get them on amazon if its the ideal headphone..

i have beats in ear ones right now and reading this site seems to make me feel like i made a bad choice with those so im looking to replace them
im new here this is like my second post..
thanks for the help !

You didn't make an absolutely terrible choice, but it was just slightly uneducated. The good news is you're here now. The M50 is a great entry level closed can and I think you'll be happy with it. It's been around forever and has had a decent price drop in the last year which explains why it's getting so popular again. I'm going to mirror what the previous two people said about your question as well, though. Raise your price to $200 and get over to a Best Buy to check out the UE 6000. It's a closed can that sounds like it should cost a lot more. Check out this review. If it's going up on InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame (which the M50 is also a part of), that means something.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #26,417 of 29,490
Hi all,

So I'm looking to get into the headphone game on a budget ($350 total for amp and cans) and I am looking for suggestions. Based on what I have read in old threads, a good way to go would be to get a pair of Grado SR225i's and a little dot I+. I know I want an open back, full sized headphone as I'm looking for something with wider sound staging. I already have a pair of Sennhieser HD280 pro's and Grado iGi IEM's and am looking for something that breathes more and feels more like sitting in a room rather than in some isolated little world. A friend of mine has the SR60's, and I like the way those sound.

My taste in music is mostly various flavors of rock; progressive rock, classic rock, modern rock, and blues. The primary application I plan on using my new headphone setup for will be with a digital guitar amplifier modeler for playing guitar through headphones.

Besides the SR225i's and little dot I+, are there any other budget rigs that I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #26,418 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh yes, exactly what you're looking for. Not to mention it comes with two detachable cables, XLR and SE terminated, you also get a rare XLR to 1/4 TRS adapter, and a hard or soft case, plus extra cushions.

Excellent Brunk! I'll make sure to put it at the top of the list. I don't have much experience with anything past the $600 mark and it's been a little bit of a pain finding places to demo anything in those categories. I know this period of research is going to take me a bit longer than it did figuring out my current arsenal of cans.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #26,419 of 29,490
Hi all,

So I'm looking to get into the headphone game on a budget ($350 total for amp and cans) and I am looking for suggestions. Based on what I have read in old threads, a good way to go would be to get a pair of Grado SR225i's and a little dot I+. I know I want an open back, full sized headphone as I'm looking for something with wider sound staging. I already have a pair of Sennhieser HD280 pro's and Grado iGi IEM's and am looking for something that breathes more and feels more like sitting in a room rather than in some isolated little world. A friend of mine has the SR60's, and I like the way those sound.

My taste in music is mostly various flavors of rock; progressive rock, classic rock, modern rock, and blues. The primary application I plan on using my new headphone setup for will be with a digital guitar amplifier modeler for playing guitar through headphones.

Besides the SR225i's and little dot I+, are there any other budget rigs that I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah everyone says that the Sr225 is better than the Sr325I,,plus grados are supposed to be the at rock. The only other things I guess you should consider are:
MDR MA900
HD598
AD900
AKG Q701

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #26,421 of 29,490
Hello everybody. I've been having a bit of trouble choosing my next headphone purchase and I figured I'd post here and ask for a little help.
I'm on a bit of a budget (no more than $150 with shipping), so no Sennheiser HD650s or anything like that, sadly. I've been leaning towards the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s but after reading good reviews I started reading some not-so-good reviews and now I'm not so sure. The constant stating that the mids are recessed really concerns me; I prefer the mids and highs over the bass. The Grado SR80is were a possibility as well, until I saw in a review that they don't do synths well and that's primarily what I listen to, as well as them being an open headphone; I'm on the go a lot and I don't want other people to listen to my music while I listen to my music.

So, essentially what I'm looking for is a bright, over the ear closed headphone that's under $150. If it's under $100 that would be even better because then I might be able to pick up a FiiO E11. The only one in consideration right now is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, since they seem to have generally solid reviews. I've looked at some other headphones, as well as reading the 2012 Head-Fi Summer Guide and none of them state that they're a "bright" headphone, which is one of the primary things I'm looking for. I've also looked at InnerFidelity's Wall-of-Fame, which only served to further strengthened my opinion of the ATH-M50s.

If anybody could offer advice or a better option, I'm all ears. (yes, that pun was intended) Thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #26,422 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello Everyone, I'm new here, this is my first post.

I'm looking for a nice set of headphones to use with my M17x.

Budget - $400 - $500
Music Preferences - Mostly trance, I like my bass.
Preferences by design  - I'd like these to be over-ear. The budget should cover a set that is comfortable, and copes well with gaming. Colors don't matter. I want a quality headset.

I'm fairly new to the headphone world, so I'm not sure if I'll need an amp or not. I'm hoping to get some good advice here. If anymore information is needed, do ask. 

Bass + gaming is a joke, really.

At best is the HE-400, if not the DT770-80.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #26,423 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everybody. I've been having a bit of trouble choosing my next headphone purchase and I figured I'd post here and ask for a little help.
I'm on a bit of a budget (no more than $150 with shipping), so no Sennheiser HD650s or anything like that, sadly. I've been leaning towards the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s but after reading good reviews I started reading some not-so-good reviews and now I'm not so sure. The constant stating that the mids are recessed really concerns me; I prefer the mids and highs over the bass. The Grado SR80is were a possibility as well, until I saw in a review that they don't do synths well and that's primarily what I listen to, as well as them being an open headphone; I'm on the go a lot and I don't want other people to listen to my music while I listen to my music.

So, essentially what I'm looking for is a bright, over the ear closed headphone that's under $150. If it's under $100 that would be even better because then I might be able to pick up a FiiO E11. The only one in consideration right now is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, since they seem to have generally solid reviews. I've looked at some other headphones, as well as reading the 2012 Head-Fi Summer Guide and none of them state that they're a "bright" headphone, which is one of the primary things I'm looking for. I've also looked at InnerFidelity's Wall-of-Fame, which only served to further strengthened my opinion of the ATH-M50s.

If anybody could offer advice or a better option, I'm all ears. (yes, that pun was intended) Thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

There's been quite the hoopla over refurbished A900X deals recently. I don't know if you can still grab them for under $150, but they are pretty amazing for the price. The only problem is that they are a bit bulky and the 3d wings design might not suit everyone.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #26,424 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Grado's are easy to drive.  What will be driving these cans before adding an amp?

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #26,425 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Yeah everyone says that the Sr225 is better than the Sr325I,,plus grados are supposed to be the at rock. The only other things I guess you should consider are:
MDR MA900
HD598
AD900
AKG Q701

Nope everyone does not. 

I prefer the the 325is and their sibling the Alessandro MS-2 is even better.  Those who don't like the 325 almost universally find it to be too bright.  I have found that pairing the 325 with a tube or hybrid amp produces excellent results--at least for my tastes and ears.

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #26,426 of 29,490
Quote:

There's been quite the hoopla over refurbished A900X deals recently. I don't know if you can still grab them for under $150, but they are pretty amazing for the price. The only problem is that they are a bit bulky and the 3d wings design might not suit everyone.

They certainly look snazzy; how's the noise isolation? Comfort isn't a problem (I have a very resilient head that can tolerate pretty much anything with a little time), but I'd like to know how well they keep sound out, as well as keep sound in. As I said before, I'm out and about often and I need to make sure that my music doesn't bleed out or that it's affected by outside noise. Thanks for the recommendation, adding it to my list of things to consider. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #26,427 of 29,490
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

The KRK KNS 8400 is a leading closed can in that price range.  Not sure how it does with your music.  You might also want to check out the AKG K 240 Studio, which you can easily get for under $100.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #26,429 of 29,490
Looking for my 2nd set of headphones:

A couple weeks ago I got a pair of Mad Dogs and absolutely love them. I've got about 15 hours of listening in with them connected to the Schiit Magni and they really do sound great. The isolation is perfect for me to listen while my wife has the TV on or is doing something else. I can really get into the music without bothering her.

Last night I was going through my taxes one last time and realized that I will owe less than I thought so now I have some "found" money to spend on fun stuff instead of giving to Uncle Sam
biggrin.gif
 I'm thinking that instead of getting another pair of closed headphones, it would be nice to have some open headphones that I can use when I'm alone in the room. My budget is probably under $250 (under $200 even better) and if they didn't absolutely need an outboard amp to get decent sound that would be a plus. 

I guess I'm looking for something that can complement the sound of the Mad Dogs, but in an open design.

What suggestions do you guys have?

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #26,430 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for my 2nd set of headphones:

A couple weeks ago I got a pair of Mad Dogs and absolutely love them. I've got about 15 hours of listening in with them connected to the Schiit Magni and they really do sound great. The isolation is perfect for me to listen while my wife has the TV on or is doing something else. I can really get into the music without bothering her.

Last night I was going through my taxes one last time and realized that I will owe less than I thought so now I have some "found" money to spend on fun stuff instead of giving to Uncle Sam
biggrin.gif
 I'm thinking that instead of getting another pair of closed headphones, it would be nice to have some open headphones that I can use when I'm alone in the room. My budget is probably under $250 (under $200 even better) and if they didn't absolutely need an outboard amp to get decent sound that would be a plus. 

I guess I'm looking for something that can complement the sound of the Mad Dogs, but in an open design.

What suggestions do you guys have?

ma900 or the k/q 701/2 by akg (price for the 70x is constantly in flux). or ad900x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back