++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #26,251 of 29,490
I'm planning on taking my broken headband AKG K167 drivers and hacking them into a noise-isolating set of earmuffs (like the ones you'd wear on the shooting range).

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this, or have any experience on headphone disassembly?

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #26,253 of 29,490
Budget: Around $150-$200 ($200msrp max - I'll look for used/refurb to bring her down towards my realistic $150 budget)

Style: OVER Ear and OPEN Back

Source: Laptop (main) Clip+, iPhone4s, HTC One X ..unamped, unless buying an amp or DAC is deemed essential (And will fit within budget range ie: SR80i+FiiO e10 or something)

Sound Signature: Vocal/Acoustic/Classic & Rock(last in importance) (short sample: Adele, Ed Sheeran, Bach/Mozart, Incubus, A Day to Remember etc.)  Clarity/detailed vocals, soundstage, instrument seperation and imaging is what I'm looking for!

Experience: All my phones have been closed back.. and I've been yearning for a more realistic experience. What I've been looking into so far: Fischer Audio FA011, HD598, AKG k240, ATH AD900, DT990, SR60/80/125

God, I love head-fi.. best forum community I've ever been a part of.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #26,254 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm planning on taking my broken headband AKG K167 drivers and hacking them into a noise-isolating set of earmuffs (like the ones you'd wear on the shooting range).

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this, or have any experience on headphone disassembly?

Whether or not you're serious, that is massively off topic.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #26,255 of 29,490
Quote:
Those seem nice, good reviews too... But they seem to be huge.
Is there any other one you can recommend that favors portability a bit more?

Look into UE6000s maybe?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Tyll mentions several times that he prefers these over the K550's.. and they're extremely portable (cups fold inwards) and they come with a neoprene zipper case.

edit: Read your initial posts.. now I have to highly recommend these in your circumstance. They do have a noise canceling feature (to block out the noise on your trips, but its technology is questionable since to me it just sounds more like a Bass+Treble booster)

Listen to a lot of electronic you say? Perfect. Flick on the ANC switch and you get great sound for electronic/dubstep/hip hop. In passive mode, it's a lot more laid back but the bass is still deep and present.

Last but not least.. they are very easy to drive.. and ANC uses a built in amp. So... no amp required.. but it can improve the passive mode if it's too laid back for you.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #26,256 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: Around $150-$200 ($200msrp max - I'll look for used/refurb to bring her down towards my realistic $150 budget)

Source: Laptop (main) Clip+, iPhone4s, HTC One X ..unamped, unless buying an amp or DAC is deemed essential (And will fit within budget range ie: SR80i+FiiO e10 or something)

Sound Signature: Vocal/Acoustic/Classic & Rock(last in importance) (short sample: Adele, Ed Sheeran, Bach/Mozart, Incubus, A Day to Remember etc.)  Clarity/detailed vocals, soundstage, instrument seperation and imaging is what I'm looking for!

Experience: All my phones have been closed back.. and I've been yearning for a more realistic experience. What I've been looking into so far: Fischer Audio FA011, HD598, AKG k240, ATH AD900, DT990, SR60/80/125

HD 558 or AD-900.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #26,257 of 29,490
Quote:
1. Price Range: $200 max (can go a little more if I need to)
2. Must be closed since I need to use these in the library, bus, lecture hall, etc.
3. Over the ear
4. Comfort is a must- I wear glasses most of time so I need something very comfortable and not too tight that will give me a headache
5. Music source will be my laptop, Galaxy S3 cellphone, & iPod. 
6. Listen to mainly Pop and R&B. Don't need a lot of bass. 

Thank you.

KRK KNS 8400, which are generally considered to be very comfortable.

However, once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #26,258 of 29,490
Quote:

Look into UE6000s maybe?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Tyll mentions several times that he prefers these over the K550's.. and they're extremely portable (cups fold inwards) and they come with a neoprene zipper case.

edit: Read your initial posts.. now I have to highly recommend these in your circumstance. They do have a noise canceling feature (to block out the noise on your trips, but its technology is questionable since to me it just sounds more like a Bass+Treble booster)

Listen to a lot of electronic you say? Perfect. Flick on the ANC switch and you get great sound for electronic/dubstep/hip hop. In passive mode, it's a lot more laid back but the bass is still deep and present.

Last but not least.. they are very easy to drive.. and ANC uses a built in amp. So... no amp required.. but it can improve the passive mode if it's too laid back for you.

I thought logitech headphones were "crappy"...
Anyways, I'll read some reviews about those and see what i can come up with.
Furthermore, I'd really like some more options since I'm not living in the US and actually getting some headphones here might be hard, due to price/availability. So if i can get some more recommendations that'd be great :D
Thanks for the reply btw.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #26,259 of 29,490
Mar 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #26,260 of 29,490
Quote:

I just received my HD598 and I'm absolutely thrilled with and blown away by what I'm hearing so far. I have similar listening habits as yours. I do like a decidedly "warm" signature though. Not sure whether you're there with me.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #26,261 of 29,490
Quote:

I just received my HD598 and I'm absolutely thrilled with and blown away by what I'm hearing so far. I have similar listening habits as yours. I do like a decidedly "warm" signature though. Not sure whether you're there with me.

Have you ever tried the HD380? If so, how do they compare? I'm wondering if I shouldve just gotten the HD598 or the HD558.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #26,264 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I currently own old Philips headphones HP-080 and Hama CS-408 but I am not satisfied at all – they are both very cheep one and are completely worn. I definitely need much better ones.
[size=10pt]Questionary:[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Budget: Up to $200.[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Usage: At work and at home.[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Isolation: Defenetly closed cans covering the ear.[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Kind of music: [/size]Evanescence, Adele, vocals from “Pitch Perfect” and pop and rock bands from 90s and beyond, Computer games. 
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Bitrate: 320 kbps.[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Source:  Laptop HP EliteBook 8540w[/size][size=10pt], unamped. I could  buy an amp if required.[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Signature:[/size] [size=10pt]Neutral/flat, or close to it[/size][size=10pt] with nice women vocals. [/size][size=10pt]Not a basshead. [/size]

[size=10pt]I’ve tried:[/size]
[size=10pt]- Sennheiser HP600 and liked their sound very much but they are open cans, a little more expensive and they definitely require an amplifier[/size]
[size=10pt]-“Beats by Dre Pro Over Ear” – they are very heavy and I don’t like their sound very much.[/size]
[size=10pt]- Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO – don’t like their sound and they also will definitely require an amplifier.[/size]

[size=10pt]Please recommend me s.th like Sennheiser HP600 but closed ones and a little bit cheeper.[/size]

I made a short list of possible choices:

1.Sennheiser HD-598 (may be but they are open ones)
2.Sennheiser Momentum
3.Sennheiser HD-439
4.Sony MDR-1R
5.AKG K550
6.Audio-Technica ATH-M50
7.Shure SRH440
8.Shure SRH840

[size=13.142857551574707px]Please advise me[/size].

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #26,265 of 29,490
Quote:
I thought logitech headphones were "crappy"...
Anyways, I'll read some reviews about those and see what i can come up with.
Furthermore, I'd really like some more options since I'm not living in the US and actually getting some headphones here might be hard, due to price/availability. So if i can get some more recommendations that'd be great :D
Thanks for the reply btw.

I thought so too. Until I did my research and auditioned them myself at my local BB (harder for you I see)

Don't fall into prejudice regarding brands.. Logitech didn't make these phones.. they purchased the  Ultimate Ears company (one of the best IEM makers in the audio business) and kept largely most if not all of their engineering staff.. The UE4000/6000/9000 is their first entry into full sized headphones... they just slapped their Logitech name in front. If that makes you feel any better :p

V-Moda M80s, AKG K550s, UE6000s, ATH M50s .. are typically the recommendations for your price range/genre/preferences.. not sure what else you're looking for unless you expand your budget.. then you get into Momentums, MD1Rs, M100s etc..

I haven't heard these, so this is just based on word of mouth. COPs (Custom One Pros) and CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) maybe.. I'd read up on the reviews on each.. and some head to head ones. Def read Tyll's at InnerFidelity if you haven't already as well.. he has a few of these on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back