++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #26,266 of 29,490
Quote:

I just received my HD598 and I'm absolutely thrilled with and blown away by what I'm hearing so far. I have similar listening habits as yours. I do like a decidedly "warm" signature though. Not sure whether you're there with me.

I think I am bro. The 598's are currently at the top of my budget want list.. and plus they're sexy little beasts. But I still got some research to do before I pull the trigger. I hear they are essentially the same as the 558s.. I want to try the Fischer FA011s and the AD900s.. fairly certain I will get them though at this point.

<< Sennheiser fanboy :3

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #26,267 of 29,490
Hello there,

Company I ordered Brainwavz HM5 on the interwebs. I was looking for headphones of around 150 euro or 200 dollar and this I found was the nicest, because of the lower bass and higher soundstage. The headphones would be only for use at home, would be closed cans with moderate to good isolation and they would be used to play all kinds of music.

Though they couldn't deliver in time and said it would take another 1.5 months to deliver, which they only said to me today after I send an e-mail nearly 2 weeks ago (the delivery time would be 2-3 days). They offered me an alternative: the Soundmagic HP100. I saw some good reviews, saw it was much more expensive (They would let me pay the same price as I would for the HM5), though I'm not entirely sure.

Should I wait for the HM5 or go for the HP100?

Greetings,
Pix

EDIT: I forgot to mention I don't have an amp, and I'm not planning on buying one. I read the HP100 recommended with an amp.

The HP100's are excellent headphones. They have a very well balanced presentation and are slightly warm sounding. They're definitely a good all rounder.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #26,268 of 29,490
I tried to get some feedback from the AD appreciation crowd, but it was pretty minimal so I'm checking with the general recommendation thread group. I'm not currently in the market for a new can, but I wanted to start my research early so when it does happen (probably in a few months), I will have tested a fair amount of equipment and can continue with an educated decision.

First some background every understands where I'm coming from. I use two closed cans at work (MDR-1R and SRH940), one open can for gaming (K702), and one open can for home music (AD700). I have loved the sound and detail my AD700 since I originally bought it for my gaming rig, but it's about the most uncomfortable thing you've ever put on your head, so I picked up the K702 and relegated the AD700 back to my home music rig which sees about the least amount of playtime from me. Now I'm looking to replace it again.

1. I don't have a set budget on this purchase. Maybe $800-1000? My priority is my happiness and I'm willing to spend a decent amount to get there.
  2. These will be strictly for home use and never taken outside. The majority of the time will be spent in a seat, on a couch, or laying down and just listening to music. I envision a small percentage will be spent on watching movies as well.
  3. I have no isolation needs what so ever. They can be wide open and I prefer them to be.
  4. I know people hate hearing this answer, but my musical tastes are all over the place. Format can be MP3, AAC, FLAC, and AppleLossless. Bit rates for the lossy format are generally 320kbps, but there is probably a small portion of my library that can dip down to 192kbps.
  5. The major source will be an Apple Macbook Pro, but it may every once in a while come from a higher end Pioneer receiver (can't recall the model at this time). I have not decided on an amp yet, but I will be sure it pairs well with the cans that I choose. No budget has been set yet, but I anticipate $300-600.
  6. I am looking for a neutral signature with quality sound throughout all frequencies. I love crisp detail in the highs and quick/punchy lows. The soundstage sound be expansive to help pinpoint the detail. If I could compare it to something everyone has heard, think of an uber AD700 with a little more punchy bass.

I have the Audeze LCD2 on my list. I'd like to get a group of maybe 3 or 4 to try out in total. What else should go on that list?

I also would like recommendations of cans that I can try with contrasting signatures to the one I'm describing above just so I can be sure that what I'm looking for is really what I want.

As always, thanks for all of your help. Thoughts? Feedback?

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #26,269 of 29,490
Quote:
I have the Audeze LCD2 on my list. I'd like to get a group of maybe 3 or 4 to try out in total. What else should go on that list?

Maybe not the most contrasting, but I think the HE-500 is worth a listen. Should be interesting putting those two together.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #26,270 of 29,490
Quote:
I tried to get some feedback from the AD appreciation crowd, but it was pretty minimal so I'm checking with the general recommendation thread group. I'm not currently in the market for a new can, but I wanted to start my research early so when it does happen (probably in a few months), I will have tested a fair amount of equipment and can continue with an educated decision.

First some background every understands where I'm coming from. I use two closed cans at work (MDR-1R and SRH940), one open can for gaming (K702), and one open can for home music (AD700). I have loved the sound and detail my AD700 since I originally bought it for my gaming rig, but it's about the most uncomfortable thing you've ever put on your head, so I picked up the K702 and relegated the AD700 back to my home music rig which sees about the least amount of playtime from me. Now I'm looking to replace it again.

1. I don't have a set budget on this purchase. Maybe $800-1000? My priority is my happiness and I'm willing to spend a decent amount to get there.
  2. These will be strictly for home use and never taken outside. The majority of the time will be spent in a seat, on a couch, or laying down and just listening to music. I envision a small percentage will be spent on watching movies as well.
  3. I have no isolation needs what so ever. They can be wide open and I prefer them to be.
  4. I know people hate hearing this answer, but my musical tastes are all over the place. Format can be MP3, AAC, FLAC, and AppleLossless. Bit rates for the lossy format are generally 320kbps, but there is probably a small portion of my library that can dip down to 192kbps.
  5. The major source will be an Apple Macbook Pro, but it may every once in a while come from a higher end Pioneer receiver (can't recall the model at this time). I have not decided on an amp yet, but I will be sure it pairs well with the cans that I choose. No budget has been set yet, but I anticipate $300-600.
  6. I am looking for a neutral signature with quality sound throughout all frequencies. I love crisp detail in the highs and quick/punchy lows. The soundstage sound be expansive to help pinpoint the detail. If I could compare it to something everyone has heard, think of an uber AD700 with a little more punchy bass.

I also would like recommendations of cans that I can try with contrasting signatures to the one I'm describing above just so I can be sure that what I'm looking for is really what I want.

The HE 500, HE 6 and T1 (which can be had from time to time below $1,000) are more to your taste than the also excellent but darker LCD-2. 

If pressed, I would say that the T1 is the best match with your wish list.  Just for fun give its little brother the DT 880 Premium 600 Ohm version a listen too.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #26,271 of 29,490
Maybe not the most contrasting, but I think the HE-500 is worth a listen. Should be interesting putting those two together.

So the HE-500 is opposite/contrast of what I'm seeking out? Yeah, I'd want to hear it then.

Quote:
The HE 500, HE 6 and T1 (which can be had from time to time below $1,000) are more to your taste than the also excellent but darker LCD-2. 

If pressed, I would say that the T1 is the best match with your wish list.  Just for fun give its little brother the DT 880 Premium 600 Ohm version a listen too.

LCD2 is kinda dark then? Hmm, I'm looking for something that's kinda on the bright side, but not fatiguing. Lively, detailed, and airy with a little bit of quick lows. I'll still give it a listen to see what I think. I have heard the DT880 Pro 250ohm and, from my limited experience with it, did initially enjoy them. Looks like I'm putting the T1 on the lists as well.

How does the tried and true HD 650 compare to the signature I'm targeting?

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #26,272 of 29,490
Quote:

So the HE-500 is opposite/contrast of what I'm seeking out? Yeah, I'd want to hear it then.

Quote:

LCD2 is kinda dark then? Hmm, I'm looking for something that's kinda on the bright side, but not fatiguing. Lively, detailed, and airy with a little bit of quick lows. I'll still give it a listen to see what I think. I have heard the DT880 Pro 250ohm and, from my limited experience with it, did initially enjoy them. Looks like I'm putting the T1 on the lists as well.

How does the tried and true HD 650 compare to the signature I'm targeting?

You won't like the treble.  It is veiled--more than the HD 600.  Neither is on the bright side.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #26,273 of 29,490
Welcome to the darkside, sorry for your wallet
evil_smiley.gif

Anyways, I have been in this position before, you want a can that can do it all, good with all genres, sources, is musical yet neutral, is fast, good with movies and detailed. I would personally recommend you look for a used Beyerdynamic T1 with a 4,000+ serial.
If you can't find one in your budget, look into the Sennheiser HD 700 which is a good alternative to the HD800.
Another one to look out for would be the HifiMan HE-5LE, but you're going to have a hard time finding one as its discontinued, but its pretty much regarded as a less spendy HD800.
One last headphone not to over look is the Sennheiser HD 650. Granted this is well under your budget, but it scales up really darn good with an excellent DAC/Amp you would buy with the savings. You can also enter the balanced DAC/Amp arena with Audio-GD with that savings.

$300-600 amp for Beyer T1 in order of preference;
1) La Figaro amp
2) LittleDot MKIII amp or higher, so long as its tubes (not their SS)
3) Bottlehead Crack+Speedball, only if you're comfortable with DIY, then bump this to number 1.

$300-600 amp for Senn HD 700;
1) Same as the Beyer T1, but also look into some gear from Audio-GD thats balanced (balanced cable upgrade in future)

$300-1,000 amp for Senn HD 650;
1) Bottlehead Crack+Speedball, that's the one and only amp you need for it. Get a bad ass DAC with savings, I'm thinking of the KingRex UD384 (Yes, 32/384 capability)

Enjoy your hunt!
Quote:

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #26,274 of 29,490
Oh
Potential for what? What are you trying to do with them?

Oh something like... I guess best sound in the long run. You know, the bass settling in and such. I'm wondering if the m100 would sound better if I broke them in, so the bass would settle and become more hmm, refined? Same thing with the momentums and MDR 1R. In other words, which would be the most balanced with tight punchy bass when broken in? I plan on keeping my cans for a long time. Another question. Does breaking in affect the mids and highs as well or just the bass?

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #26,275 of 29,490
Quote:

I made a short list of possible choices:

1.Sennheiser HD-598 (may be but they are open ones)
2.Sennheiser Momentum
3.Sennheiser HD-439
4.Sony MDR-1R
5.AKG K550
6.Audio-Technica ATH-M50
7.Shure SRH440
8.Shure SRH840

[size=13.142857551574707px]Please advise me[/size].

SoundMAGIC HP100 = Neutral closed-back king of the $200-$300 range.  Look at some reviews.

A FiiO E9k should power them easily, or the E07K if you need portable.  They also sound decent unamped, but they definitely benefit a lot from an amp.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #26,276 of 29,490
Quote:
SoundMAGIC HP100 = Neutral closed-back king of the $200-$300 range.  Look at some reviews.

A FiiO E9k should power them easily, or the E07K if you need portable.  They also sound decent unamped, but they definitely benefit a lot from an amp.

+1

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #26,277 of 29,490
Quote:
Yo Bobby Lee, you probably should list your preferred priorities (weight of price vs. portability vs. maintenance vs. isolation vs. music genre preferences vs. bass/mid/treble vs. analytical:fun vs. comfort etc...)

Should give members a better sense to give you a better recommendation. 

I was actually/have been looking at those and similar options as well (sans the m100) ironically.

Oh yeah, if I'm in Ktown in the near future, buy me hot dog.

Okay, so here's the criteria:

1. I have a budget of around $300.
  2. Portability is definitely a priority which is why I was able to narrow it down to those 3 cans due to their folding ability (M100s dominate in this case category).
  3. Maintenance? Hmm.. As in just taking general care of the headphones? I take pretty good care of my belongings so that won't be much of an issue.
  4. I'd like fairly good isolation from the headphones. I'd like to know which one has the best isolation.
  5. I prefer music such as rock, funk/jazz fusion, a little bit of electronic, but 80% of the music I listen to is instrumental music (band music). Dave Weckl WOOT!
  6. As for the sound, I'd like the bass and mids to be just a tad accentuated without bleeding into each other.
  7. I'm a bit analytical but I also like a fun sound. More to the fun side though as long as it's not too tiring.
  8. The headphones need to comfortable, but I've heard good reviews on the comfort of all these headphones.
  9. Finally, something light. It could be a little heavy, but if it's heavy, it should be a secure fit.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #26,278 of 29,490
Hello my friends. I just got a set of AKG k550s, and I might want something a little baser and/or punchier. A friend of mine suggested that with a good burn-in and possibly an amp, all will be well. I am wondering though, how a set of Sennheiser Momentums or V-Moda M100s would compare.

While the sound quality on the K550s is excellent, and find myself wanting to press the cans closer to my ears. Any thoughts?

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #26,279 of 29,490

Sounds like you'd like the Amperior, or the HD-25-ii.

You won't like the M-100 for the music you listen to.

I can't talk about the Momentum from a subjective viewpoint but they seem to measure well.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #26,280 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello my friends. I just got a set of AKG k550s, and I might want something a little baser and/or punchier. A friend of mine suggested that with a good burn-in and possibly an amp, all will be well. I am wondering though, how a set of Sennheiser Momentums or V-Moda M100s would compare.

While the sound quality on the K550s is excellent, and find myself wanting to press the cans closer to my ears. Any thoughts?

The Momentum and M100 are definitely more punchier, particularly the M100. I wonder if you're just not getting a good seal with the K550 (a very typical issue with them and the reason I don't own a pair) or if you're a basshead. M100 is definitely a can I would consider a basshead can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back