++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 19, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #26,236 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I did some more research and I'm torn between 3 pairs:

V moda m100
Sony MDR 1R
Sennheiser momentum

I can't decide! Gaaah! Which of these three would have the most potential if I were to burn these in?

Potential for what? What are you trying to do with them?

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #26,237 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I did some more research and I'm torn between 3 pairs:

V moda m100
Sony MDR 1R
Sennheiser momentum

I can't decide! Gaaah! Which of these three would have the most potential if I were to burn these in?

Yo Bobby Lee, you probably should list your preferred priorities (weight of price vs. portability vs. maintenance vs. isolation vs. music genre preferences vs. bass/mid/treble vs. analytical:fun vs. comfort etc...)

Should give members a better sense to give you a better recommendation. 

I was actually/have been looking at those and similar options as well (sans the m100) ironically.

Oh yeah, if I'm in Ktown in the near future, buy me hot dog.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #26,238 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
CAL! or 8400--depending on budget (CAL!), durability (8400), efficiency (CAL!) and/or sound signature (your pick).

Hm...I guess I'm still not sure if the 8400 is really better than the 6400. Innerfidelity's graphs seem to indicate the opposite: 8400 is very bumpy in the 10-400 Hz range (and it looks like he measured them in two different positions, one with weak bass and one with two giant bass bumps), though most people say they don't hear this. The 8400's square wave tests look less flat; and it has less distortion overall, but a huge spike near 1000 that the 6400 doesn't have. But maybe I'm misinterpreting? I've also read that they're not very consistent: one person went through 3 different pairs of 8400's and they sounded very different, the earlier ones being worse, which could explain the wonky graphs.

Does anyone know how deep the cups are on the CAL! or the KRKs, or how thick the material over the drivers is? Ear stick-out-ness is likely to be a problem; the HD380's cups are huge, but they're only just barely big enough for my Obama-caricature ears.

Put them on your head for a listen and sizing.  Graphs are a tool.  Your ears provide the ultimate test for sound.  Your head and ears the ultimate test for comfort.

Oh yeah--we're talking $75 to $150 cans.  Good ones in that price range--but still $75 to $150 cans.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #26,239 of 29,490
Quote:
Put them on your head for a listen and sizing.  Graphs are a tool.  Your ears provide the ultimate test for sound.  Your head and ears the ultimate test for comfort.

True, but I don't really have access to them...the local Guitar Center had most of the ones I listed but no demo pairs, and Best Buy had lots of demo pairs but none that I was looking for (the 380 was the only decent one). Figures. At some point I'll have to just pick one and hopefully be able to send it back if it's no good, but I wish I knew the basic size and shape of the cups, at least. The makers never put that in the specifications, for some reason.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #26,240 of 29,490
Hi everyone,
I currently own old Philips headphones HP-080 and Hama CS-408 but I am not satisfied at all – they are both very cheep one and are completely worn. I definitely need much better ones.
[size=10pt]Questionary:[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Budget: Up to $200.[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Usage: At work and at home.[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Isolation: Defenetly closed cans covering the ear.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]·         K[/size][size=10pt]ind of music: [/size]Evanescence, Adele, vocals from “Pitch Perfect” and pop and rock bands from 90s and beyond, Computer games. 
[size=10pt]·         B[/size]itrate: 320 kbps.
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Source:  Laptop HP EliteBook 8540w[/size][size=10pt], unamped. I could  buy an amp if required.[/size]
[size=10pt]·         [/size][size=10pt]Signature:[/size] [size=10pt]Neutral/flat, or close to it[/size][size=10pt] with nice women vocals. [/size][size=10pt]Not a basshead. [/size]

[size=10pt]I’ve tried:[/size]
[size=10pt]- Sennheiser HP600 and liked their sound very much but they are open cans, a little more expensive and they definitely require an amplifier[/size]
[size=10pt]-“Beats by Dre Pro Over Ear” – they are very heavy and I don’t like their sound very much.[/size]
[size=10pt]- Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO – don’t like their sound and they also will definitely require an amplifier.[/size]

[size=10pt]Please recommend me s.th like Sennheiser HP600 but closed ones and a little bit cheeper.[/size]

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #26,241 of 29,490
Quote:
But you see, I happen to agree with that one man on most of his reviews of cans that I also have heard.  I own the the HE 500 and RS2i and have spent a bit of time listening to the HE 400, most recently at the Head-Fi meet in Austin held earlier this month.

The Grado and HE 400 are both colored cans.  The HE 400 has (net) forward and slightly funky mids.  To me the weakness of the Grado is its very bright treble.  Still--both are very good cans.

On the other hand the HE 500 is just about dead neutral with no real weaknesses.  Nothing is lacking.  Nothing sounds off.  There are other cans that also have it all and do certain things even better, but all of them cost significantly more than the HE 500.  The only negative things I can say about the HE 500 is that is fairly heavy and it needs a somewhat powerful amp to properly drive it.

Thanks for the in-depth reply. 
That's more or less what I wanted to know. Not sure about needing a powerful amp - through my ipod+PA2V2 they were LOUD and sounded better than a well amped HD800 (personal preference ONLY 
wink.gif
)
But either way I'm sure I have enough juice to drive them at home. Looks like I'll bite the bullet on these.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #26,242 of 29,490
1. Price Range: $200 max (can go a little more if I need to)
2. Must be closed since I need to use these in the library, bus, lecture hall, etc.
3. Over the ear
4. Comfort is a must- I wear glasses most of time so I need something very comfortable and not too tight that will give me a headache
5. Music source will be my laptop, Galaxy S3 cellphone, & iPod. 
6. Listen to mainly Pop and R&B. Don't need a lot of bass. 

Thank you.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #26,243 of 29,490
Quote:
2. Must be closed since I need to use these in the library, bus, lecture hall, etc.
3. Over the ear
4. Comfort is a must- I wear glasses most of time so I need something very comfortable and not too tight that will give me a headache

Thank you.

A pair of used or maybe new AKG 550's are in order for you.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #26,245 of 29,490

Quote:

There are others to look at, but first...
  1. Budget of $200.
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?

First of all thanks for the reply...
Now let me try and answer those.
So, you got my budget.
I plan on using them mostly in my house, though I'd like something thats a bit portable and that I might also be able to use while going to college (by wich I ride a train and a subway, so lot of background noise there). So by that I guess I'd prefer closed cans, also I dont like how the open ones leek (I own an ATH AD700).
I listen to electronic music mostly, or at least I'd like some headphones for that type of music specifically. Mp3 format mostly, and bit rate varies, though I like to get my music in 320kbps. Though some are as low as 192.
Device would be an ipod if I'll be moving around, or my computer. I've got a Xi-Fi Titanium on it (wich i bought mostly for gaming, mind you).
And I don't really know what kind of signature I'm trying to find, I haven't really put much thought on it, but I guess for electronic music bass is good, but i don't want a headphone thats just pure bass. I wish i could help you a bit more here, but I honestly don't know.

*Pseudo bump...
Can anyone help me with this?
Or should I just go and make a thread about i? :/

PS: The headphones i was looking at were the V-modas m80

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #26,246 of 29,490
Hello there,

Company I ordered Brainwavz HM5 on the interwebs. I was looking for headphones of around 150 euro or 200 dollar and this I found was the nicest, because of the lower bass and higher soundstage. The headphones would be only for use at home, would be closed cans with moderate to good isolation and they would be used to play all kinds of music.

Though they couldn't deliver in time and said it would take another 1.5 months to deliver, which they only said to me today after I send an e-mail nearly 2 weeks ago (the delivery time would be 2-3 days). They offered me an alternative: the Soundmagic HP100. I saw some good reviews, saw it was much more expensive (They would let me pay the same price as I would for the HM5), though I'm not entirely sure.

Should I wait for the HM5 or go for the HP100?

Greetings,
Pix

EDIT: I forgot to mention I don't have an amp, and I'm not planning on buying one. I read the HP100 recommended with an amp.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #26,247 of 29,490
I hate reposting but my thread didn't get many responses and neither did my post here 2 pages ago so I'll try again. I just replaced my ATH-M50s for Sennheisers HD380 Pro. The ATH-M50s didn't sound too different from my Skullcandy Hesh 2.0 so I wanted something worth my money. I'm still in the testing phase (I thought I had enough time to try them on at Guitar Center but I still feel like I'm trying these on). The bass I liked in ATH-M50s is gone but I don't know if I'll miss it yet..

Anyone had any experience with these? I'm worried about the lack of posts I've seen about these.. I'm no audiophile but I make the assumption that headphones can be out of date. I compared these to the Beyerdynamics DT 770 when I was at Guitar Center. I felt the DT 770 sounded a little soft (except the bass) but it could've been the music that was playing. I just want to hear other opinions before I have my own set.

Should I be worried about the bass? This seems more neutral. I like all genres, and I wanted everything to sound as best as possible.. But I also liked bass.

I did see two threads discussing a comparison with M50s and not one of them suggested the HD 380. One of them said there's even a more laid back sound, like there's a veil over the music..

Although I'm noticing it sounds pretty alright. I'll have to listen some more. I just like second opinions. I'm the guy that would probably like a pair of $20 headphones from 1987 and not get an alternative if I didn't look at second opinions.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #26,248 of 29,490
Quote:
3. Over the ear

Thank you.

Quote:
A pair of used or maybe new AKG 550's are in order for you.

Quote:

If he needs to use them on the bus or the like, the K550's may be a bit too bulky.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it. It does seem a bit big based on pictures but I have a semi-big head so it may fit fine.

I was also looking at the Seinheisser HD380 and the Audio Technica A900x. Any thoughts on these based on my criteria?

Thanks again.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #26,249 of 29,490
Check ot the AKG K550.
Quote:
First of all thanks for the reply...
Now let me try and answer those.
So, you got my budget.
I plan on using them mostly in my house, though I'd like something thats a bit portable and that I might also be able to use while going to college (by wich I ride a train and a subway, so lot of background noise there). So by that I guess I'd prefer closed cans, also I dont like how the open ones leek (I own an ATH AD700).
I listen to electronic music mostly, or at least I'd like some headphones for that type of music specifically. Mp3 format mostly, and bit rate varies, though I like to get my music in 320kbps. Though some are as low as 192.
Device would be an ipod if I'll be moving around, or my computer. I've got a Xi-Fi Titanium on it (wich i bought mostly for gaming, mind you).
And I don't really know what kind of signature I'm trying to find, I haven't really put much thought on it, but I guess for electronic music bass is good, but i don't want a headphone thats just pure bass. I wish i could help you a bit more here, but I honestly don't know.

*Pseudo bump...
Can anyone help me with this?
Or should I just go and make a thread about i? :/

PS: The headphones i was looking at were the V-modas m80

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #26,250 of 29,490
Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it. It does seem a bit big based on pictures but I have a semi-big head so it may fit fine.

I was also looking at the Seinheisser HD380 and the Audio Technica A900x. Any thoughts on these based on my criteria?

Thanks again.

It's less to do with fit and more to do with portability. The K550s are large, heavy, and come with a thick 10ft cable. If you're okay with that, by all means go for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back