++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #26,011 of 29,490
Quote:

Isn't it just the same thing as the Z1000? They're both pretty neutral?

Ehh, I suppose they aren't from what I'm reading. Alright, I'll be putting this one on my list to check out. So better build and more efficient than the SRH940. I have spent a decent amount of time with the SRH940, so how would you compare the sound quality between the two?

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #26,012 of 29,490
I'm on the hunt for a good pair of over-ear cans. Here's some relevant info:

• I want to spend between $100-350 or so.
  • I'm pretty sensitive to heat on my ears and things pressing down on them.
  • I'll be listening in my own home and in places like my local coffee shop. I don't much mind outside sound getting into my headphones, but being that I tend to like my music loud, I should be aware of my neighbors.
  • I listen to all kinds of music, but the predominant genre is definitely metal.

The ones I've been looking at so far are:

• AKG Q701

• Audio Technica ATH-AD900

• Denon AH-D5000

• Sony MDR-V6

• V-Moda M-100

• Sennheiser PXC 450

• HiFiMan HE400/500 (though the 500s are a bit pricy)

Any thoughts on those or others I should look at?

I like your situation. Most people are either looking for a fully portable headphone or an open one. This allows me to recommend the beyers and audio technicas.

Here's A List of Recommendations:
Non-Portables
Grado Sr325i or SR225i, but you hate on ears so that's probably out, though prob best at metal
Sony MDR MA900
Beyerdynamic Dt880, with an amp
Audio Technica A900x
K701 with an amp

Portables:
MDR 1R
Sennheiser Momentum
M100 maybe, might be too much bass
The Whole Brand Ultrasone (lol)
Akg k167 or k267 tiesto
Maybe some others

I wouldn't recommend MDR v6 for metal though. Stay away from sub $100 cans if your willing to spend $350

A nice amp would be the Fiio e11.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #26,013 of 29,490
I'm on the hunt for a good pair of over-ear cans. Here's some relevant info:

• I want to spend between $100-350 or so.
  • I'm pretty sensitive to heat on my ears and things pressing down on them.
  • I'll be listening in my own home and in places like my local coffee shop. I don't much mind outside sound getting into my headphones, but being that I tend to like my music loud, I should be aware of my neighbors.
  • I listen to all kinds of music, but the predominant genre is definitely metal.

The ones I've been looking at so far are:

• AKG Q701

• Audio Technica ATH-AD900

• Denon AH-D5000

• Sony MDR-V6

• V-Moda M-100

• Sennheiser PXC 450

• HiFiMan HE400/500 (though the 500s are a bit pricy)

Any thoughts on those or others I should look at?

Wow. You're kind of all over the board. What are you planning on driving them with? Any idea what kind of sound you're after? Can you narrow the price range down somewhat $100-350 covers like 3 tiers for most of us. How about pick one between $100-175, $175-250, $250-350?

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #26,014 of 29,490
Quote:
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

should be laptop with lossless music and most probaly will be without amp, but i plan to get amp in the future, my target would be Oamp and ODAC combo. However i have 1 DIY DAC + Fiio E6 and creative soundblaster ubs soundcard. my expectation of comfortability should be like ATH-AD900, Sony MA500 or AKG 240, and Dt 880 will also do. as mention above i want to have some colour and enjoyment for long time listening to music. therefore those stereo headphone such as sony V7506 like what i had should be avoid. Once again thanks guys.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #26,015 of 29,490
should be laptop with lossless music and most probaly will be without amp, but i plan to get amp in the future, my target would be Oamp and ODAC combo. However i have 1 DIY DAC + Fiio E6 and creative soundblaster ubs soundcard. my expectation of comfortability should be like ATH-AD900, Sony MA500 or AKG 240, and Dt 880 will also do. as mention above i want to have some colour and enjoyment for long time listening to music. therefore those stereo headphone such as sony V7506 like what i had should be avoid. Once again thanks guys.

I hear that the MDR MA900 is a little superior overall to bot the HD598 and AD900, though I'm not sure about the AD900x.

Ill be getting the MDR 1R on Friday the 15th so ill post some impressions (remind me).

You should really look into both of those along with the beyers. I personally didn't like the k701s (not quite sure why I recommended it lol) because of the lack of bass.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #26,016 of 29,490
I'll be using either an iPod or a laptop. Eventually I'll probably get a desktop amp and a portable amp.

I don't particularly mind lugging around a big pair of cans even if they're not meant to be portable, my only concern is that they would get damaged in transit.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #26,017 of 29,490
Y
If I correctly understand you, we would also need to know what will be driving these cans and the sensitivity rating of each of them to go their respective specific rating in Ohms.  As a general rule, cans in the 100 to 250 Ohm range will need some sort of amping beyond being plugged directly into on board computer audio or a portable player.
yes I plan to plug them onto my Digi 002 rack converter, which has pre-amps and an headphone output load of 150ohms

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #26,019 of 29,490
Sorry if I'm interrupting any ongoing conversations, but I'm completely new to high-quality headphones, and I'd like a recommendation for my first set of full-sized headphones.

I'm coming off of using Audio-Technica CKM-50As exclusively.  They were great IEMs, and I was upset that they were discontinued, but I've replaced them with the Monster iSports, which have decent enough sound quality for portable use, but more importantly, seem very solid, and stay in my ears as well as the 50As.  I also had a pair of Beats Solos.  They were AMAZING, provided you listen to Dr. Dre or early Snoop Dogg (Think Doggystyle).  Pretty much everything else suffered.  So I sold them, and am using the proceeds to fund this purchase.

1. I'm looking for something between $100 - $120 or so.  $140 is an absolute limit
  2. Closed-back would be preferable. 
  3. Pretty sure I want circumaural phones.
  4. I might get an amp in the future, but for right now I'll be using a 5.5G iPod classic or laptop onboard audio with a music collection consisting mostly of 320 kbps MP3s.
  5. I'd also like to use these as my general around the house earphones.  Movies, TV shows, all that.  Portability not important.
  6. My musical tastes have a lot of variety.  Not a fan of indie rock.  Not a fan of most EDM.  Not a fan of metal.  I'm into blues folk, rock, hip-hop, jazz, ska, pop, you get the picture.  I'm looking for something versatile, unlike the Beats, which seemed to be tailored specifically to Dre's sound.  (even fairly traditional guys like Jay-Z or Big L sounded better on the 50As.
  7. Not really a basshead, but I love the sound of a bass drum or bass guitar.  I'd hate for them to get buried.
  8. Build quality is important.  I'd hate to have to replace these in the next 5 years, especially since they will almost never leave my house.

I've done a bit of lurking, and it seems like the ATH-M50s are a fairly solid starter, but the "recessed mids" have me a bit worried.  I don't know if that's the kind of sound I want.  Is there a way I can EQ a "preview" of it with the iTunes equalizer?  Is there another pair that would be better?

Thank you for the help!

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #26,020 of 29,490
How do these compare? 

Beyer Custom One Pro vs. Audio Technica Pro700 Mk2

I think I've narrowed my search down to these two. I'll be hooking either up to a Fiio E17 (or similar dac/amp) for use with my computer. Gonna use it for gaming and music listening, mostly house and trance. 

Please let me know what you think :) 

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #26,021 of 29,490
Sorry if I'm interrupting any ongoing conversations, but I'm completely new to high-quality headphones, and I'd like a recommendation for my first set of full-sized headphones.

I'm coming off of using Audio-Technica CKM-50As exclusively.  They were great IEMs, and I was upset that they were discontinued, but I've replaced them with the Monster iSports, which have decent enough sound quality for portable use, but more importantly, seem very solid, and stay in my ears as well as the 50As.  I also had a pair of Beats Solos.  They were AMAZING, provided you listen to Dr. Dre or early Snoop Dogg (Think Doggystyle).  Pretty much everything else suffered.  So I sold them, and am using the proceeds to fund this purchase.

• I'm looking for something between $100 - $120 or so.  $140 is an absolute limit
  • Closed-back would be preferable. 
  • Pretty sure I want circumaural phones.
  • I might get an amp in the future, but for right now I'll be using a 5.5G iPod classic or laptop onboard audio with a music collection consisting mostly of 320 kbps MP3s.
  • I'd also like to use these as my general around the house earphones.  Movies, TV shows, all that.  Portability not important.
  • My musical tastes have a lot of variety.  Not a fan of indie rock.  Not a fan of most EDM.  Not a fan of metal.  I'm into blues folk, rock, hip-hop, jazz, ska, pop, you get the picture.  I'm looking for something versatile, unlike the Beats, which seemed to be tailored specifically to Dre's sound.  (even fairly traditional guys like Jay-Z or Big L sounded better on the 50As.
  • Not really a basshead, but I love the sound of a bass drum or bass guitar.  I'd hate for them to get buried.
  • Build quality is important.  I'd hate to have to replace these in the next 5 years, especially since they will almost never leave my house.

I've done a bit of lurking, and it seems like the ATH-M50s are a fairly solid starter, but the "recessed mids" have me a bit worried.  I don't know if that's the kind of sound I want.  Is there a way I can EQ a "preview" of it with the iTunes equalizer?  Is there another pair that would be better?

Thank you for the help!

In your case, I will recommend these:
Citiscape Uptown
ATH M50
MDR 7506

I like all three almost equally but tend to use the Uptowns most because of their comfort (I can wear these things for hours!).

I like the MDR7506 for electronic music, maybe some Hip hop, and rock. Although they are very fatiguing for others, I use an equalizer, a tiny little fiio e6, and have velour pads on them. Instead of getting these, you should probably get the MDR V6 which are the same for a little less.
The Uptowns for pretty much everything, and especially for music that depend on vocals. They have slightly recessed mids, but the vocals are definitely more forward and natural than the v6's and ATH M50s.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #26,022 of 29,490
Hi!  Am considering getting the DT 1350 or Momentum.  I currently own the m50, which I love, but was looking to upgrade to something more neutral?  I live in Maryland so if anybody knows of a place where I can test audition that would probably help a lot too.  Thanks!

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #26,023 of 29,490
How do these compare? 

Beyer Custom One Pro vs. Audio Technica Pro700 Mk2

I think I've narrowed my search down to these two. I'll be hooking either up to a Fiio E17 (or similar dac/amp) for use with my computer. Gonna use it for gaming and music listening, mostly house and trance. 

Please let me know what you think :) 

I'm guessing your a basshead? Although I have neither, I'm pretty sure the COPs are superior. The audio technicas (I've only heard once) are super muddy.

I would definitely get the Beyer DT770 pro 80s. They've got a pretty good soundstage, huge bass, and will run beautifully off of a fiio e17.

Just my 2 cents.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #26,024 of 29,490
Hi!  Am considering getting the DT 1350 or Momentum.  I currently own the m50, which I love, but was looking to upgrade to something more neutral?  I live in Maryland so if anybody knows of a place where I can test audition that would probably help a lot too.  Thanks!

If you're looking for a neutral can, you're definitely not looking at the Momentum whose sound is fairly colored. What do you like about your M50 and where are you looking to go to from there?

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #26,025 of 29,490
Can anyone point me in direction of headphones with following characteristics:

- similar soundstage and bass like dt 990 (or with more quality, not more impact)
- a bit less harsh highs and a bit more balanced mids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back