++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 10, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #25,831 of 29,490
They look good too, more portable than the others but liking the others a little more. Seems like i'm paying for the noise cancelation at the cost of the sound or quality or something.

And he was replying to me so you sort of were

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #25,832 of 29,490
Quote:
They look good too, more portable than the others but liking the others a little more. Seems like i'm paying for the noise cancelation at the cost of the sound or quality or something.

The sound quality of the UE6000 is probably one of the best I've heard in a $200 portable headphone, regardless of its features.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #25,833 of 29,490
Quote:

oh well, then his recommendations were way off as well b/c Momentum is $350 and MDR-1R is $300. I thought whoever he was talking to was looking for a ~$300ish portable, closed pair of headphones.

Well, I can understand where you are coming from, but the sound quality of the UE 6000 is really good for the $200 price range over-ear, closed, portable headphones. You should go to a Best Buy and demo them. What others are you liking more? Just curious

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #25,834 of 29,490
Quote:
oh well, then his recommendations were way off as well b/c Momentum is $350 and MDR-1R is $300. I thought whoever he was talking to was looking for a ~$300ish portable, closed pair of headphones.

Well, I can understand where you are coming from, but the sound quality of the UE 6000 is really good for the $200 price range over-ear, closed, portable headphones. You should go to a Best Buy and demo them. What others are you liking more? Just curious

Originally i wanted the Sennheiser HD5X8 series, but found out they are open back so can't. After some recommendations now I am currently looking at the Byerdynamics DT770 Pro (250ohms, 50 more for the 80ohms) or the V-MODA LP or LP2. Need big cups and want a fabric coating. They will be replacing my HD428s which i just modded for more bass earlier tonight and they are about what I want as far as sound profile. I also want an amp but not if i spend 200 on the headphones.

Will see the next time I'm up there, but whenever i go they ain't got jack out here unless it's skullcandy/beats/bose cuz those sell like hell. Budget isn't very flexible because I'm 16 and no job, i try  to build computers as often as possible but it's not very frequent, but a guy I did a build for a while back is getting a 3000 buck beast workstation so I will get around 300 bucks from it, and parents pay for necessities/gas so it is for whatever i want pretty much. (although still not entirely positive this is the best place for it, but my computer has become a pit)

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #25,835 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Originally i wanted the Sennheiser HD5X8 series, but found out they are open back so can't. After some recommendations now I am currently looking at the Byerdynamics DT770 Pro (250ohms, 50 more for the 80ohms) or the V-MODA LP or LP2. Need big cups and want a fabric coating. They will be replacing my HD428s which i just modded for more bass earlier tonight and they are about what I want as far as sound profile. I also want an amp but not if i spend 200 on the headphones.

The LP or LP2's earpads tend run on the small side for some people, and they're made of a pleather material.
The Beyer's are super comfy on the other hand.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #25,836 of 29,490
Quote:

Will see the next time I'm up there, but whenever i go they ain't got jack out here unless it's skullcandy/beats/bose cuz those sell like hell. Budget isn't very flexible because I'm 16 and no job, i try  to build computers as often as possible but it's not very frequent, but a guy I did a build for a while back is getting a 3000 buck beast workstation so I will get around 300 bucks from it, and parents pay for necessities/gas so it is for whatever i want pretty much. (although still not entirely positive this is the best place for it, but my computer has become a pit)

V-Moda LP/LP2 is a lot bassier than a lot of competitors from my experience, so you might not like the sound signature if you are looking for more neutral headphones. 

Not sure about the Beyer dt770 b/c I haven't personally heard them, but they are very highly recommended. However, 250ohms sounds very high to me and will probably require an amp (I believe?). Also the beyer dt770 are pretty big in size, so for portable wearing around your neck usage, I would think that is a bit iffy, but if you can get your hands on a pair & try em, but my impression of them are that they may not be the best choice for portable use.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #25,837 of 29,490
and i have fairly large ears so they are off the list. And I forgot one, ATH-A900X

So there's the UE6000 or ATH-A900X for 200 or the DT770 Pro 250ohm for 180, all on amazon and I have a 20 off on there that i forgot about.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #25,838 of 29,490
Quote:
That's a very long post.  Unless I missed it, you did not say what would powering these cans and whether or not you'd be using an amp.  If no amp, you probably won't be happy with the Koss, especially on a plane.

Also none of these cans are going to give you the same frequency response, not to mention sound stage, of the speakers you referenced.  You'll have pay a great deal more for that in a can.

Thanks, good point.  I'll probably get a hud MX1 for home use.  My htpc dac is cr@p anyway as far as I can tell.  

Opinions seem to vary about using those un-amped; true that most of those opinions aren't in the context of airplane use. Sound doesn't need to be anything but half decent for airplane use though, and it's just a bonus application.  I'll carry iems as a backup on first try and can always get an E6 if I need to.  I don't like wasting money, but the $30 isn't a big issue if I like the cans otherwise.

If you're used to speakers, run away from headphones that have a reputation for having bad soundstage even amongst people who are used to headphones, they wont be listenable for you most likely. The reality is, even the best headphones have crap soundstage compared to mediocre entry level bookshelfs. My $500 KEF Q300's blow the AKG K701 out of the water when it comes to soundstage. In fact, even my plastic Philips $150 mini hifi system blows them away in that regard.  That's just how it is. Its one thing that headphones will never do as good as speakers, soundstage.  You will never ever get a strong central image. You will get a slight feeling of depth and soundstage with the best headphones only.

As far as UE6000's go, they're about 3 leagues above the others you've listed, and one of the best closed headphones out there.

Thanks for this.  It seems there's a bunch of love for UE600's now and like I said, it's not that I don't have the money, just I didn't want to buy something 2x price and possibly not like it any better anyway.  You might have about talked me into it though.  Then the airplae amp is moot because as I understand the active cancelling amps the whole sound anyway. Yes I understand that they sound like poo in that mode, but after hours on a plane, I really couldn't care about the sound quality much nor am likely to be in a state to notice.

And yes, I get that I can't get even cheap speaker sound out of closed headphones.  The point was more that yeah.. I'm able to tell the difference and do appreciate as close as might be possible in  cheap closed cans.   I'll take your advice then and steer clear of the M50 anyway. I'm kinda itching now to just pull the trigger on the UE6000's, so that might just be what I'll do, especially since there have been a couple of other recomendations for them in the last few hours directed toward johnyp..  Like him, I've also noticed the DT770's.  Seems like the UE6000's probably fit my wants a little better though all in all.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #25,839 of 29,490
and i have fairly large ears so they are off the list. And I forgot one, ATH-A900X

So there's the UE6000 or ATH-A900X for 200 or the DT770 Pro 250ohm for 180, all on amazon and I have a 20 off on there that i forgot about.

Just scratch the DT770 off your list if you aren't going for the 32ohm version. I think, sonically, they're going to be what you're looking for, but they aren't made for portable use and need to be amped. I use my 80ohm version exclusively in my office and love them.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #25,840 of 29,490
Looking for advice here, gonna get a denon headphone in a local shop in a short while, which one would be better for me
1. D2000
2. The a600
I will be either using them on j3, n1, galaxy note 2 or my fiio e17 amped ipod touch
Ps: other suggestion would be considered, also what do you guys think of sony sa 3000, would this be a nice side grade from ultrasones hifi 2400 running from govibe magnum used as a dac and amp?
Edit: wrong sony

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #25,841 of 29,490
Quote:

I would have to disagree. If you have good crossfeed circuitry, you can very well get a strong central image and a speaker like presentation. Why do you think that amps such as the Phonitor are so successful?

Even with crossfeed its not like a speaker. Crossfeed makes a really slight difference and gives a slight feeling of central image, its not a drastic improvement.  With speakers you get such illusion of central image (or any other part of the soundstage), you can touch the spot in the air where the source of the sound would be.  When listening to music on my Kef Q300's, I can put point my hand at each exact point where each sound is coming from, and with extreme precision, I can cover the vocalists mouth with the palm of my hand so to speak. On headphones, even though you get a feeling of where each sound is coming from, its never as exact or separated from the rest of the sound. Its just how it is. If you have a chance to do a direct comparison, do it. I can plug my headphones into a speaker amp and sit on the speaker sweetspot, and then play music and have someone plug in and out the headphones, so that I switch between headphones playing and speakers playing.  Its such a huge difference in soundstage.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #25,842 of 29,490
I'm still not sold on the UE6000's.  Reading more, there's no doubt they're a bit bass heavy and then I read this:

Quote: (miceblue)
Would I recommend this for classical music, acoustic, jazz, or rock? Probably not. The odd-sounding upper midrange made some string instruments and vocals sound off to my ears. I think the ATH-M50 is better suited for those genres despite its slightly recessed mid-midrange (e.g. not the upper mids).

Would I recommend this for EDM, pop, rap, or hip-hop? Yes I would. The midrange in general is good for those genres and the bass impact and extension fits EDM well without having harsh treble.

So that goes precisely opposite to my tastes.

And in the next post, Craigster75 said that post was right on the money (although it was a long post) and he seems to be a very big fan of the UE6000

All the comparisons made in the thread are to much more expensive things like momentum and sony mdr1 so maybe I'm reading too much into it.  Still if you like sports cars, then a bargain quality pickup truck really isn't going to make you happy at, bargain or not.

I'm kind of leaning back toward the koss.  I want to like the logitechs.   I like the idea of the built in amp and big enough stock pads and noise cancellation even if not amazing.  Also I did find where Tyll said exactly that the bass can "confuse" the mids. hmm maybe that's where I subconsciously got that word from anyway. That's a little different than the sports car analogy because still at some quality point I might be comparing to mids on cheaper stuff that are more confused anyway even without the bass interference. 

Wish I could try them out.  The UE6000 are not even available locally for mail order.  Maybe they are too new.  Logitech is everywhere.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #25,843 of 29,490
Even with crossfeed its not like a speaker. Crossfeed makes a really slight difference and gives a slight feeling of central image, its not a drastic improvement.  With speakers you get such illusion of central image (or any other part of the soundstage), you can touch the spot in the air where the source of the sound would be.  When listening to music on my Kef Q300's, I can put point my hand at each exact point where each sound is coming from, and with extreme precision, I can cover the vocalists mouth with the palm of my hand so to speak. On headphones, even though you get a feeling of where each sound is coming from, its never as exact or separated from the rest of the sound. Its just how it is. If you have a chance to do a direct comparison, do it. I can plug my headphones into a speaker amp and sit on the speaker sweetspot, and then play music and have someone plug in and out the headphones, so that I switch between headphones playing and speakers playing.  Its such a huge difference in soundstage.

So theoretically, I agree with you absolutely... 100%. But here's the thing: Unless you have a dedicated listening room that you can outfit exactly as you see best fit, you have a much better chance of BETTER creating such an ideal space via headphones and various ancillaries including crossfeed. That's how I've come to head audiophilia. At first I didn't get it but then somewhere along the way the light bulb went on. I can come much closer to creating my ideal in every respect in head-fi. And not only that, I can have it be fairly portable to boot!

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #25,844 of 29,490
Hi,

I am wondering which would be the best investment for me:

1. HE-500 and the Woo Audio WA7 fireflies

2. Audeze LCD-2 and Audio GD NFB-10.32

3. Audio-GD NFB-27 and Beyerdybamic T90

I was wondering where is my money best invested - a good AMP+DAC and more expensive headphones or buy a better AMP+DAC and experiment with headphones later on, seeing that this combo will also drive my existing phones better. I may be able to strech the budget a bit but would want to know what the advantages would be.

Thanks,
Dotan

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #25,845 of 29,490
Just scratch the DT770 off your list if you aren't going for the 32ohm version. I think, sonically, they're going to be what you're looking for, but they aren't made for portable use and need to be amped. I use my 80ohm version exclusively in my office and love them.

Well with them i can affor to get a FiiO E6, and if need be the L9 LOD too, but since i am using streming services IDK if that will make a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back