++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #25,696 of 29,490
Quote:
I was just about to order the hd650 when i got a nice deal on a set of he-400.
Which one should i pick, i listen mostly to rock and blues but i prefer if it's allaround cans.

Both are good choices.  It depends upon which flavor of ice cream you like better.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #25,697 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for new headphones, but unfortunately I'm 100% noob when it comes to this stuff. I've never managed to buy good headphones, always it was or crapy sound or they broke after few months. I need heaphones for games (but I'm not really competetive FPS player) and music (almost all kinds of rock and metal). My sound card is Asus Xonar DX (bought it cheap from friend). Unfortunately I can only spend up to 100$ for them. Yes, I know it's very little, but I have too much expenses recently. For reference I'm using right now AKG K512, and I don't like them, they are very uncomfortable. I can have them on my head for like 30 minutes, after that my ears just start to hurt. I have big head and not that small ears.
Hopefully you can help me.

Among the best cans that are about $100 or less and don't need an amp are: the CAL!, Alessandro MS-1, KRK KNS 6400, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and Sony MDR-7506 or 7510.   With an amp add the AKG K 240 (Studio & Mk II) and Koss Koss ProDJ 100 family (with M50 ear pads).  For games the open and semi-open cans will probably serve you best.

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #25,698 of 29,490
Yea, that's the problem, we don't have any places in sweden where you can listen to these headphones and im new to the headphone world so i don't know my flavour yet, guess i just have to pick one and hope for the best.
Is it worth stepping up to the he-500:s?

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #25,699 of 29,490
Quote:
Yea, that's the problem, we don't have any places in sweden where you can listen to these headphones and im new to the headphone world so i don't know my flavour yet, guess i just have to pick one and hope for the best.
Is it worth stepping up to the he-500:s?

For me the answer is "yes", but it won't be the same for everyone.  To my ear the HE 500 is the lowest price can where "all of it is there" and you have it in a neutral package.  That is why the 500 is widely praised as an all genre master.  However, it is heavy and clamps a bit.  Further, it is a luxury that (believe it or not) not everyone can afford or will agree is worth $700.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #25,700 of 29,490
For me the answer is "yes", but it won't be the same for everyone.  To my ear the HE 500 is the lowest price can where "all of it is there" and you have it in a neutral package.  That is why the 500 is widely praised as an all genre master.  However, it is heavy and clamps a bit.  Further, it is a luxury that (believe it or not) not everyone can afford or will agree is worth $700.
The HE-5LE is also $700 and is quite a bit better (true to source) than the HE-500, but the trick is finding one for sale :wink_face:

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #25,702 of 29,490
Well it's settled, i have to wait until next month though if im gonna afford the he-500 but it should be worth it according to some reviews :)

Yeah, it's a very good choice :)

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #25,703 of 29,490
Well it's settled, i have to wait until next month though if im gonna afford the he-500 but it should be worth it according to some reviews :)

Yeah, it's a very good choice :)

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #25,704 of 29,490
Hi! I was a noob and posted a thread about this but I've been looking for some headphones around $300. I'm mostly going to use it to listen to music on my iPhone, but I really want good quality as I'm an avid music fan. Thanks!

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #25,705 of 29,490
Quote:

I apologise for taking a while to respond. The music I tend to listen to is very diverse. I'm now tending away from the K550 for the apparent lack of lows and generally not very good for bass. It is now down to the SRH840 and the M50, I would like a decent amount of bass. I listen to a wide variety of music varying from classical to dubstep. I also read something about the durability of the SRH840s not being very good (can someone either advise me on this).Any final advice for deciding between these two cans?

I think if you don't like the K550 because of the lack of bass, you aren't going to like the SRH840 either. Those and especially its successor, the SRH940, are very analytical closed-back cans. If fact, I didn't even really enjoy the K550 and its bass until after I listened to the two Shures. After listening to them, I really appreciated the K550 more.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #25,706 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi! I was a noob and posted a thread about this but I've been looking for some headphones around $300. I'm mostly going to use it to listen to music on my iPhone, but I really want good quality as I'm an avid music fan. Thanks!

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #25,707 of 29,490
Quote:
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Other than fast and clear, describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

I have a Denon PMA-520AE amp, NAD DAC1 and I play most of my music via the computer. So nothing fancy. Don't have a headphone amp yet, but considering buying one. Format is FLAC or 320 kbps. Tbh I'm not too sure on what kind of sound signature I'm looking for; I haven't tried that many headphones in my days. But apart from fast and clear, I do like some soundstage and a bit of warmth, although nothing muddy.

And thanks for replying!

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #25,709 of 29,490
Hey all. So I'm back on the hunt for an end game portable headphone. Now yes, I know this isn't the portable thread, BUT I'm looking for a FULL SIZE circumaural headphone. So here's what i need:

Cliff notes version:
  1. Closed back
  2. overear
  3. isolation
  4. rock music
  5. open to sound sigs (no big bass/recessed mids)
  6. Preferably folding (case would be nice too)
  7. Under $500 ish
  8. powered off O2
  9. SOLID build
  10. average cable length

Expanded Version:

Isolation is a must. I spend over an hour and a half daily in extremely noisy environments (lots of people) and i need to be able to hear my music. I don't see this being a major problem for closed back, over ear phones, but any tips as to stand out isolators would be much appreciated.

Second, portability. Now here's what I mean by portability, and if nothing more READ THIS. I don't want any extra long or coiled cords. Standard cabling is plenty suffice. I would like them to fold flat for storage; however any type of folding would be greatly appreciated. Also, i would prefer a 3.5mm termination, if at all possible.

Now onto sound. I typically go for balance, however it isn't a must. Just no bass head or mid recessed cans. Yeah, i know that rules out a lot, but I'm perfectly open to colored or different sound. For example, the MS300 has what can only be called "presence", a certain forceful musicality about it that forces one to "feel" the song, if that makes any sense. Please, hold nothing back. Just as a note i listen to a lot of rock (think: 80's hair, Rush, Chevelle, Five Finger Death Punch etc)

Build quality, these will certainly take some abuse so the more tank like the better.

Price range isn't really at hand here. Just nothing ridiculous so say under $500

Yes, they will be amped (O2 is planned upon). I assume that should be enough.

If you could use the HD600 or SRH840 as a standard for comparison that would be great.

Thanks for all the help in advance. Right now I'm just try to feel this out. So, please throw anything you think might work for me. Thanks again.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #25,710 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all. So I'm back on the hunt for an end game portable headphone. Now yes, I know this isn't the portable thread, BUT I'm looking for a FULL SIZE circumaural headphone. So here's what i need:

Cliff notes version:
  1. Closed back
  2. overear
  3. isolation
  4. rock music
  5. open to sound sigs (no big bass/recessed mids)
  6. Preferably folding (case would be nice too)
  7. Under $500 ish
  8. powered off O2
  9. SOLID build
  10. average cable length

Expanded Version:

Isolation is a must. I spend over an hour and a half daily in extremely noisy environments (lots of people) and i need to be able to hear my music. I don't see this being a major problem for closed back, over ear phones, but any tips as to stand out isolators would be much appreciated.

Second, portability. Now here's what I mean by portability, and if nothing more READ THIS. I don't want any extra long or coiled cords. Standard cabling is plenty suffice. I would like them to fold flat for storage; however any type of folding would be greatly appreciated. Also, i would prefer a 3.5mm termination, if at all possible.

Now onto sound. I typically go for balance, however it isn't a must. Just no bass head or mid recessed cans. Yeah, i know that rules out a lot, but I'm perfectly open to colored or different sound. For example, the MS300 has what can only be called "presence", a certain forceful musicality about it that forces one to "feel" the song, if that makes any sense. Please, hold nothing back. Just as a note i listen to a lot of rock (think: 80's hair, Rush, Chevelle, Five Finger Death Punch etc)

Build quality, these will certainly take some abuse so the more tank like the better.

Price range isn't really at hand here. Just nothing ridiculous so say under $500

Yes, they will be amped (O2 is planned upon). I assume that should be enough.

If you could use the HD600 or SRH840 as a standard for comparison that would be great.

Thanks for all the help in advance. Right now I'm just try to feel this out. So, please throw anything you think might work for me. Thanks again.

AKG K550, Shure SHR940 - completely neutral - both great sounding headphones, both have good isolation, K550's has bit more sub bass and better built quality,and its more comfortable. Both fold and don't have coiled cables.

Logitech UE6000 - neutral with slight lift in the bass region, well made, great comfort, excellent sound quality, some say the best for closed headphones under $500.

Sennheiser Amperior - great for rock, sort of V-shaped signature, great isolation, easily powered and portable, but its not full sized as you said.

Sennheiser Momentum - a bit bigger than Amperior, portable, comfy, warm with lots of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back