++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #25,666 of 29,490
I'm looking for some headphones for $250-$300. They have to be portable, and quite comfort. I really appreciate good sound isolation (passive or active, but as I know passive ones have better sound quality), as I travel daily by bus, and the street, etc... I would say that I prefer circumaural ones, but just because they have passive isolation... If my music style preferences are important somehow, I listen to all kind of music styles, so... Well, I don't know if there's anything else important to say, so I'll wait for your advices and question, THANKS! :wink:

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #25,667 of 29,490
Quote:
M-80 vs m-100 vs mdr 1r vs momentum

It's a showdown between these three. Lately, I've made a few threads involving portable cans but I haven't gotten any really good answers (or simply just answers).

It seems like the mdr 1r is the best for stuff like JRock/Pop, R&B, and Hip Hop, but the m-80s are much cheaper and seem to sound very similar.

I have the citiscape uptown and was somewhat impressed by the akg k167 and dt770s sound but not enough.

My source is a galaxy player 5 and fiio e6 (sadly).

Thanks in advance!

I recently tried the M-80 and it was very nice if you're looking for something with more of an emphasis on bass. A fun headphone for sure and definitely worth the price since they seem to be going on sale everywhere right now. Haven't tried the M-100 yet. I can't say enough good things about the Momentums, sonic wise. They are amazing if you want something with a U-shape to the EQ. I would have bought some already if they weren't so physically uncomfortable to me. They claim it to be a full ear cup when it is clearly, at least for me, on ear cups. I heard the MDR-1R is very very close to the Momentum with it's signature and it's a full ear cup, so I blindly purchased a pair last week. Should be in sometime this week.

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #25,668 of 29,490
I'm looking for some headphones for $250-$300. They have to be portable, and quite comfort. I really appreciate good sound isolation (passive or active, but as I know passive ones have better sound quality), as I travel daily by bus, and the street, etc... I would say that I prefer circumaural ones, but just because they have passive isolation... If my music style preferences are important somehow, I listen to all kind of music styles, so... Well, I don't know if there's anything else important to say, so I'll wait for your advices and question, THANKS! :wink:

I know this isnt an on-ear, but a really good IEM with passive isolation is the Etymotic ER-P AT $250. Plus, you can upgrade them to the more accurate/hifi "S" version with ER38-24 adapter for $33. These IEMs will totally block out the sound of the bus and rival on ears costing 3-4x as much.

Just a suggestion :)

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #25,669 of 29,490
Hi,

New poster here! I recently bought a pair of Grado SR80i cuz I've been having some problems with my AKG K 242 HD, and was looking for a new listening experience. I really liked the sound of the Grados, but they were just too uncomfortable for me - I need something I can wear for extended periods of time and something more allround. I did quite a lot of reading before I bought the Grados so I knew the comfort might be an issue, but anyway; they're on their way back to the store.

Can you get a pair of headphones that combine the speed and clarity of the Grados and the comfort of the AKGs? They would have to be circumaural. Oh and obviously within my budget, which is 200-250 Euros. For what it's worth I almost exclusively listen to various subgenres of metal. "Modern" metal, not much older these days.

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #25,671 of 29,490
Quote:

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #25,672 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

New poster here! I recently bought a pair of Grado SR80i cuz I've been having some problems with my AKG K 242 HD, and was looking for a new listening experience. I really liked the sound of the Grados, but they were just too uncomfortable for me - I need something I can wear for extended periods of time and something more allround. I did quite a lot of reading before I bought the Grados so I knew the comfort might be an issue, but anyway; they're on their way back to the store.

Can you get a pair of headphones that combine the speed and clarity of the Grados and the comfort of the AKGs? They would have to be circumaural. Oh and obviously within my budget, which is 200-250 Euros. For what it's worth I almost exclusively listen to various subgenres of metal. "Modern" metal, not much older these days.

Thanks!

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Other than fast and clear, describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #25,673 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
How do the Jvc HARX700 compare to the 8323's? Also how are they for people with big heads, I have to extend the 8323's almost all the way out for them to fit well.
Thanks

Bump

Have only heard one of them.  They are both described in this buying guide, which is linked in the opening post of this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #25,674 of 29,490
I'm looking for full-sized cans for 150-240$ .
I prefer to not having to buy an amp. At the moment I am really stuck between the Audio Technica AD-900X and the BeyerDynamic DT880 30 ohm I believe.
It is going to be used mostly in my house on my computer when I buy a sound card with build-in amp. It will be used for gaming and music which is a mix of Indie, DnB, Rock, RnB, Rap, Classical.
I'm a bit scared to purchase the AD900X since I've read that it excels with classical and vocals but doesn't do well with genres such as Rock.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #25,675 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for full-sized cans for 150-240$ .
I prefer to not having to buy an amp. At the moment I am really stuck between the Audio Technica AD-900X and the BeyerDynamic DT880 30 ohm I believe.
It is going to be used mostly in my house on my computer when I buy a sound card with build-in amp. It will be used for gaming and music which is a mix of Indie, DnB, Rock, RnB, Rap, Classical.
I'm a bit scared to purchase the AD900X since I've read that it excels with classical and vocals but doesn't do well with genres such as Rock.

Thanks in advance!

If you are going to buy a sound card with a built-in amp, why would select the 32 Ohm can--unless you are also intend to use it with an unamped portable device?

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #25,676 of 29,490
You made a good point. I also was not very sure if that amp would be able to power the greater 250 or 600 ohm. It seemed like such a higher resistance. I would once in a while use it with an iPod or smartphone. Would the HE-300 also be a good candidate?

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #25,677 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi,

If I were to buy a headphone with either a FiiO DAC/Amp or a DACport, what bass-orientated headphones could I use. Budget is around the price of these three headphones: Beyer DT250, Beyer DT990, HiFiMan HE400.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #25,678 of 29,490
Hello everyone,
I would like to buy a pair of headphones for under $300. I mostly listen to indie music and classical rock with a bit of everything else sprinkled in.  The phones do not have to be that portable as they will be used only at home. Also, I already have an amp and dac.  I would prefer something with a large soundstage.
Thanks in advance 
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #25,679 of 29,490
Quote:
You made a good point. I also was not very sure if that amp would be able to power the greater 250 or 600 ohm. It seemed like such a higher resistance. I would once in a while use it with an iPod or smartphone. Would the HE-300 also be a good candidate?

The DT 880 is the better all around can than the HE-300.  I have no idea if the HE-300 will work well unamped from a portable device.  It certainly was not designed to be a portable can.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #25,680 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone,
I would like to buy a pair of headphones for under $300. I mostly listen to indie music and classical rock with a bit of everything else sprinkled in.  The phones do not have to be that portable as they will be used only at home. Also, I already have an amp and dac.  I would prefer something with a large soundstage.
Thanks in advance 
biggrin.gif

The Q 701 will give you the large soundstage.  You may or may not like the rest of its sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back