++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #25,682 of 29,490
The ad900x doesn't need an amp (although it sounds great with one). It also works very well with all sorts of genres, including rock. It really is a very good all rounder imo.

Fwiw, the ad900x sounds great off of the cheapo $20 ELE DAC.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #25,683 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The Q 701 will give you the large soundstage.  You may or may not like the rest of its sound signature.

So you have no opinion of the AD900X? I'm really stuck between the two since the HE-300 is now really out of the question. It'd be best to grab the 250ohm with the AMP'd sound card then, right? I appreciate your help!

I just saw this on YouTube. He's a fellow Head-Fier too. :)

And my review of the newer K 701:

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #25,685 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The Q 701 will give you the large soundstage.  You may or may not like the rest of its sound signature.

So you have no opinion of the AD900X? I'm really stuck between the two since the HE-300 is now really out of the question. It'd be best to grab the 250ohm with the AMP'd sound card then, right? I appreciate your help!

Have heard only old the old version (with no "X").  Yes--get the 250 Ohm version (the 600 Ohm version is even better if you can drive it) of the DT 880, which is a former Beyer flagship.

Read about the the 900 and DT 880 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #25,686 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

While the K 701 is an closely related ancestor of the Q701, they are not the same can.  Nor is the the newest member of the the clan, the K 702 65th Annies.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #25,687 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

While the K 701 is an closely related ancestor of the Q701, they are not the same can.  Nor is the the newest member of the the clan, the K 702 65th Annies.

I've read the 8-bump K 701 is similar to the Q 701 and AKG updated the K 701 drivers when they released the Q's. I can't actually confirm that, but from memory, my newer K's sound more like the Q's than the 702's I tried at a local Head-Fi meet.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #25,688 of 29,490
Quote:
Just curious, are you using an amp? I heard that the HE-400s need an amp to be really baller.

Sennheiser HD650 is a well-respected $500 pair of headphones that has been said to have a laid-back treble, so that might be a good choice for you.

That's not really true, but yes I am powering it from a Fiio E12 which I think is more than adequate. 

I'm thinking hard about the HD 650s, but I don't want to lose anything with what many would call a downgrade. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #25,689 of 29,490
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Hello, thanks for answering. I will use an ipod classic 160gb, just because it's the only one that can get all my music, and yes, I will also look for an amplifier. About music format, it's mainly alac, converted from flac, or 320 mp3, but of course some albums are in bad quality mp3, as it's impossible to find better quality ones... I don't understand the "sound signature" meaning, could you explain me that? Thanks again, awaiting for answers!

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #25,690 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, thanks for answering. I will use an ipod classic 160gb, just because it's the only one that can get all my music, and yes, I will also look for an amplifier. About music format, it's mainly alac, converted from flac, or 320 mp3, but of course some albums are in bad quality mp3, as it's impossible to find better quality ones... I don't understand the "sound signature" meaning, could you explain me that? Thanks again, awaiting for answers!

He's asking how do you prefer your headphones to sound. Since you listen to a range of things, you may not entirely be sure. That's fine. Nothing like trying out a lot of different cans to figure out what your preferences are. That's what I did (and continue to do). If you're really trying to get portable, there are some great, highly efficient, over-ear cans out there that don't require any amp at all to sound good. Start with the Logitech UE 6000, V-Moda M100, Sony MDR-1R, and Sennheiser Momentum. The Momentum is slightly out of your price range, but you should just hear it because it may make you want to up your budget that slight amount.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #25,691 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

That means how do you want them to sound neutral, bright, bassy, fast, mids forward, detailed, analytical, large sound stage, etc.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #25,692 of 29,490
Hello,

I'm looking for new headphones, but unfortunately I'm 100% noob when it comes to this stuff. I've never managed to buy good headphones, always it was or crapy sound or they broke after few months. I need heaphones for games (but I'm not really competetive FPS player) and music (almost all kinds of rock and metal). My sound card is Asus Xonar DX (bought it cheap from friend). Unfortunately I can only spend up to 100$ for them. Yes, I know it's very little, but I have too much expenses recently. For reference I'm using right now AKG K512, and I don't like them, they are very uncomfortable. I can have them on my head for like 30 minutes, after that my ears just start to hurt. I have big head and not that small ears.
Hopefully you can help me.

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #25,693 of 29,490
Quote:

He's asking how do you prefer your headphones to sound. Since you listen to a range of things, you may not entirely be sure. That's fine. Nothing like trying out a lot of different cans to figure out what your preferences are. That's what I did (and continue to do). If you're really trying to get portable, there are some great, highly efficient, over-ear cans out there that don't require any amp at all to sound good. Start with the Logitech UE 6000, V-Moda M100, Sony MDR-1R, and Sennheiser Momentum. The Momentum is slightly out of your price range, but you should just hear it because it may make you want to up your budget that slight amount.

I'm really interested in those Momentum... I saw the other day one guy in the subway with them, should have asked him to try them, he talked me really well about them.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #25,694 of 29,490
Quote:

I've heard all these but the lp2 (but have heard m100) and I'd rate their sound quality as: K550>SRH840>M50>M100.  All have good sound isolation.

So get the K550 unless you want emphasized bass and don't mind slightly smaller soundstage, in which case you should get SRH840 which deliver amazing sq for the price.  SRH840 perform very well without amplification  (sorry, haven't played with K550 with different amps).  If you want serious bass, the latter two will give it to you in spades and still sound great.

I apologise for taking a while to respond. The music I tend to listen to is very diverse. I'm now tending away from the K550 for the apparent lack of lows and generally not very good for bass. It is now down to the SRH840 and the M50, I would like a decent amount of bass. I listen to a wide variety of music varying from classical to dubstep. I also read something about the durability of the SRH840s not being very good (can someone either advise me on this).Any final advice for deciding between these two cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back