++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #25,606 of 29,490
Quote:
In net I found the mids to be forward and not quite in balance with the bass and treble...but it's not as simple as that.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_HE400

And I'm not sure what version(s)/revision(s) I put on my head.

OK thanks,

nevermind about revision that would be asking too much
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #25,607 of 29,490
Man I finally found the sound signature I love its from these little Meelectronics HT-21's. I prefer them really like 10 times compared to my hd 650's, he-400's, m-50's or porta pros. I want to upgrade though because this little headphone struggles, with clarity and speed understandable since it costs 40 dollars but I love the way it does everything else. Anyone have any recommendations?

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #25,608 of 29,490
Ok this is gonna be the first time i post here on head-fi. I've been lurking around for about a week and decided to make an account :D. My cousin who lives in america is gonna come home next month and i asked him if he could order headphones for me from amazon.

Budget: $30-$50 (I wont be able to return it due to defects since I live in asia. I dont want to spend too much $$$ just to be safe. 

As of right now, im choosing among these: jvc harx700, superlux 681 and superlux 668b. Feel free to recommend other better ones though. 

I listen to almost all types of music, ill be using these unamped through my laptop and nexus 10. My music is at 320kbps.

Thanks guys.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #25,609 of 29,490
Quote:
So, you guys have suggested that I get new cans with a different sound signature in order to alleviate my problem of vocals getting drowned out on the Jpop songs I listen to. Any recommendations for such cans that can emphasize vocals more? I'd like two recommendations: a closed set and an open set, both for clean vocals.

Anything on this...?

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #25,610 of 29,490
I need some headphones good for the following:

Genres: Classic Rock, 90's Rock, Alternative, Grunge, 70's Rock.

Was looking at spending 300 on HD600's from Razordog, but I'm open to other suggestions. I tried to find a reason to get the HE400's but I'm not sure about the sound, and also it looks like I'd want to do some mods to them (ear cups), which I'd like to avoid if at all possible since this will be my first foray into Head-Fi gear.

If you want to suggest an Amp/DAC with it, that would be fantastic too. I had been looking at a lyr/bifrost combo.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #25,611 of 29,490
Anything on this...?
For a closed set, Audio Technica W5000. For an open set, Hifiman HE-500. Without a budget I'm just shooting in the dark here.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #25,613 of 29,490
I need some headphones good for the following:

Genres: Classic Rock, 90's Rock, Alternative, Grunge, 70's Rock.

Was looking at spending 300 on HD600's from Razordog, but I'm open to other suggestions. I tried to find a reason to get the HE400's but I'm not sure about the sound, and also it looks like I'd want to do some mods to them (ear cups), which I'd like to avoid if at all possible since this will be my first foray into Head-Fi gear.

If you want to suggest an Amp/DAC with it, that would be fantastic too. I had been looking at a lyr/bifrost combo.

The Grado SR line of headphones are right up your alley, they dont need a beefy amp either, saving you alot of cash. A good cheap dac/amp for the Grados would be the Hifiman EF2A. If going portable the Sansa Clip+ would be the way to go. The Grados are mod friendly too if you ever want to dip into that. Good luck!

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #25,614 of 29,490
Quote:
The Grado SR line of headphones are right up your alley, they dont need a beefy amp either, saving you alot of cash. A good cheap dac/amp for the Grados would be the Hifiman EF2A. If going portable the Sansa Clip+ would be the way to go. The Grados are mod friendly too if you ever want to dip into that. Good luck!

Any other suggestion? Would like to go ahead and get something that I don't need to upgrade for a long time. Also, would really like over the ear cans, as I find them much more comfortable.

It wouldn't break my heart to spend 1000 bucks on headphones/amp/dac.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #25,615 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok this is gonna be the first time i post here on head-fi. I've been lurking around for about a week and decided to make an account :D. My cousin who lives in america is gonna come home next month and i asked him if he could order headphones for me from amazon.

Budget: $30-$50 (I wont be able to return it due to defects since I live in asia. I dont want to spend too much $$$ just to be safe. 

As of right now, im choosing among these: jvc harx700, superlux 681 and superlux 668b. Feel free to recommend other better ones though. 

I listen to almost all types of music, ill be using these unamped through my laptop and nexus 10. My music is at 320kbps.

Thanks guys.

Your budget is too low to get into lower level quality cans, especially unamped through a laptop (I know nothing about your tablet).  Don't be surprised if they don't not drive either Superlux very well.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #25,616 of 29,490
Any other suggestion? Would like to go ahead and get something that I don't need to upgrade for a long time. Also, would really like over the ear cans, as I find them much more comfortable.

It wouldn't break my heart to spend 1000 bucks on headphones/amp/dac.
Sure, I can make a better recommendation based upon your budget and requests. Hifiman HE-500 for $700 (same price elsewhere). For the DAC/Amp, the reputable Audio-GD NFB 11.32 for $300 (ask Kingwa about promo pricing). I honestly cant think of a better setup for $1k. I would buy this myself if I was starting fresh. This setup will knock anyone's socks off, especially for the price.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #25,617 of 29,490
Replacing my broken ATH-A700 head phones that I use at work. Wouldn't mind repurchasing them, but wanted to see if there are better options now.

Sub $200
Computer only
No amp
Background music only while coding, no games
Classical, Techno
Closed
Comfortable and durable (used all day at work)
No preference on sound quality as my ears are not that refined, and I'll have no amp.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #25,618 of 29,490
Quote:
Replacing my broken ATH-A700 head phones that I use at work. Wouldn't mind repurchasing them, but wanted to see if there are better options now.

Sub $200
Computer only
No amp
Classical, Techno
Closed
No preference on sound quality as my ears are not that refined, and I'll have no amp.

The Sennheiser HD25-1 II, if you are OK with on ear.

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #25,619 of 29,490
Mar 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #25,620 of 29,490
Quote:

Sub $200
Computer only
No amp
Classical, Techno
Closed

Quote:

The Sennheiser HD25-1 II, if you are OK with on ear.

Ehh not OK with on ear as comfort is a concern with on ear. Any other suggestions? HD-598 possibly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back