++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #25,591 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello Head-fi. I'm looking to buy some new headphones, but I'm not sure what some good options are. I'm looking to spend under 100. I listen to indie and alternative rock, so I like to hear acoustic and vocals, but I still like bass. So basically, I don't want an overpowering bass. I would like some that are somewhat stylish, though honestly I'll take sound quality over style any day.

Thanks,

jakewilson1

Do you prefer Open or Closed headphones?

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #25,593 of 29,490
Quote:
Closed, though they are very close for me.

I would look into the Shure SRH-440. I own the next model up the SRH-840's and my roommate owns the 440's. The bass on both headphones is great but not overpowering. The Mid's and High's on them are excellent and the detachable cable is a nice bonus. Not the most stylish or lightweight headphones though.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #25,594 of 29,490
Hey all,

I am not sure where to go from where I am currently. My setup is the Schiit M Stack to HD 580. I enjoy the 580 for background music, as they are fairly laid back and calm. However, when I want something in my face, there is something really lacking there.

I much prefer the sound of my SRH 840s in that regard. However, they are not too comfortable - I prefer the velour of the HD 580s over pleather that the SRH 840s rock.

I tried the SR225i as they were supposed to be very lively. While I did appreciate the sound, I felt that the sound was too compressed. The mids and the highs kind of blended together. Not to mention that they weren't too comfortable. I can appreciate them, and I can see how some people really enjoy them. However, it's not for me.

Basically, I want something fun, vibrant and can be driven well by the M stack or something in its range. I was thinking of: DT 990, HE 400, DT 770.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #25,595 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all,

I am not sure where to go from where I am currently. My setup is the Schiit M Stack to HD 580. I enjoy the 580 for background music, as they are fairly laid back and calm. However, when I want something in my face, there is something really lacking there.

I much prefer the sound of my SRH 840s in that regard. However, they are not too comfortable - I prefer the velour of the HD 580s over pleather that the SRH 840s rock.

I tried the SR225i as they were supposed to be very lively. While I did appreciate the sound, I felt that the sound was too compressed. The mids and the highs kind of blended together. Not to mention that they weren't too comfortable. I can appreciate them, and I can see how some people really enjoy them. However, it's not for me.

Basically, I want something fun, vibrant and can be driven well by the M stack or something in its range. I was thinking of: DT 990, HE 400, DT 770.

You could probably add the Ultrasone Pro 900s to your list. They have some crazy dynamics and I just saw them on sale at Amazon for $199.00 on the Gold Box deal. That's a lot of fun for two hun...  
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #25,596 of 29,490
Hey all,

Ok, you want something with velour, comfy, and is in your face, but you dont like the Grado house sound. I think your best bet would be DT-990.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #25,597 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hey all,

Ok, you want something with velour, comfy, and is in your face, but you dont like the Grado house sound. I think your best bet would be DT-990.

Speaking of velour, was it the HE-400 that sounded better with the velour pads or was it the HE-500?

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #25,599 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
CAL!  About their only downside is that they are not made for punishment.

What about the Sony MDR-V6?

It's a classic, but one that is long in the tooth and no longer at the top of the hill in its class. I also suspect that it has too little bass for your tastes.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #25,600 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all,

The HE 400 is the best can in the this group; has a colored mid-range, but I would not say that it is in your face.  The other two have a "V' shaped EQ of different size and depth with recessed mids and could be described, at least by some, as "in your face."  For slam I prefer the Grado SR line and some of the Ultrasones.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #25,601 of 29,490
The HE 400 is the best can in the this group; has a colored mid-range, but I would not say that it is in your face.  The other two have a "V' shaped EQ of different size and depth with recessed mids and could be described, at least by some, as "in your face."  For slam I prefer the Grado SR line and some of the Ultrasones.
The HE-400 is nice, but its not going to compliment what he has already (HD 598), and with what he wants -an aggressive/energetic headphone. The HE-400 is not a very engaging can (laid back and warm) compared to the DT990.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #25,602 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

The HE-400 is nice, but its not going to compliment what he has already (HD 598), and with what he wants -an aggressive/energetic headphone. The HE-400 is not a very engaging can (laid back and warm) compared to the DT990.

While we agree about the bottom line, I can't concur the the the HE 400 is, with the way it presents mids, "laid back".  It is fair to describe the HD 598 as "laid back".  I find the HE 400 to be very engaging due to it excellent clarity, detail, imaging and extended frequency response for its price range.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #25,603 of 29,490
Quote:

The HE-400 colored mid-range... there seems to be quite a lot of complaints about recessed mids, I understand what 'not in your face' could mean, is it noticeable or only on specific amps/looking for where instruments sound recessed?

can you help shed light on it I havent had any headphones to compare differences with at least not in the same competing fidelity range.

edit: clarified headphone

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #25,604 of 29,490
At a meet I attended I was able to hear a set of the HE400 through the amp that HiFiMan sells as matched with the headphones. While I didn't get anywhere near enough time with them I could tell the HE400 were fantastic. I don't mind some warmth in a set of cans, but only enough, and not if it really takes the dynamics and clarity back perceptively. Just a hair off the top, but nothing more. I didn't find the 400s were overly laid back, which for the record I find the 650s somewhat too smooth, but not so far gone that their special sound isn't worth the slight compromise. I got the impression that the 400s would likely be like that, special with character. I would love to get more time listening to those cans.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #25,605 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

The HE-400 colored mid-range... there seems to be quite a lot of complaints about recessed mids, I understand what 'not in your face' could mean, is it noticeable or only on specific amps/looking for where instruments sound recessed?

can you help shed light on it I havent had any headphones to compare differences with at least not in the same competing fidelity range.

edit: clarified headphone

In net I found the mids to be forward and not quite in balance with the bass and treble...but it's not as simple as that.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12#user_HE400

And I'm not sure what version(s)/revision(s) I put on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back