++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #25,321 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
You say that you're concerned about 840 leaking too much, but it is the only closed can on your list.  The other 4 1/2 are open or semi-open cans and leak much more.

Oops, my fault. I meant to put that with the Beyer DT 880's. I'll edit the post.

Fair enough, but it's still the same problem--just a bit smaller in scope.  The DT 880 is a semi open can that leaks less than an open can.  All those other cans, except the 840, are open.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #25,322 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you also plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

I would prefer a closed design. I'll use my NAD amplifier to power them. I usually listen to indie rock, I will mostly listen to movies and play games. I want a neutral headphone, with a good base and a good 3D feeling. I will use them mostly in my living room, since I have IEM (Sony XBA-4) for on the go usage.

I've tried/own TMA-1 (to dark), tried V-Moda M-80 (nice sound, too small), Sennheiser Momentum (excellent, but needed a longer cord).

I'm interested in the AKG 550... any thought on them?

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #25,324 of 29,490
Quote:
Fair enough, but it's still the same problem--just a bit smaller in scope.  The DT 880 is a semi open can that leaks less than an open can.  All those other cans, except the 840, are open.t

My current Sony's are closed so I have nothing to compare how much sound leaks from the headphone. I generally listen at lower levels and with nobody else in the room but I do want to get a feel for how "loud" they are to people sitting in the same general area (about 5 feet away). There will be some times when the TV will be on while I am listening so I guess I will need some isolation from general room sounds while listening.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #25,325 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you also plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

I would prefer a closed design. I'll use my NAD amplifier to power them. I usually listen to indie rock, I will mostly listen to movies and play games. I want a neutral headphone, with a good base and a good 3D feeling. I will use them mostly in my living room, since I have IEM (Sony XBA-4) for on the go usage.

I've tried/own TMA-1 (to dark), tried V-Moda M-80 (nice sound, too small), Sennheiser Momentum (excellent, but needed a longer cord).

I'm interested in the AKG 550... any thought on them?

Thanks!

The 550 is a good can but you have to get a good seal with them.  Just so you know, sound stage is not a strength of closed cans in general.  I'll also add that if your taste runs to the M-80 & Momentum, you like a somewhat bassy sound signature--not neutral but also not necessarily in basshead territory either.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #25,326 of 29,490
(Gonna regret posting in a popular thread)

Most neutral, all-around performers, open design for ~$500? I have been looking into the HE-500's but some guidance would be cool. This is endgame zone

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #25,327 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Fair enough, but it's still the same problem--just a bit smaller in scope.  The DT 880 is a semi open can that leaks less than an open can.  All those other cans, except the 840, are open.t

My current Sony's are closed so I have nothing to compare how much sound leaks from the headphone. I generally listen at lower levels and with nobody else in the room but I do want to get a feel for how "loud" they are to people sitting in the same general area (about 5 feet away). There will be some times when the TV will be on while I am listening so I guess I will need some isolation from general room sounds while listening.

At five feet, you'd best stick with closed.  Our music taste are similar or at least overlap.

The best closed cans I know about that are still in production and within your budget include the Shure SRH 940, Sony MDR-CD900ST, Sony MDR-7520 and Audio Technica ATH-W1000X.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #25,328 of 29,490
Quote:
(Gonna regret posting in a popular thread)

Most neutral, all-around performers, open design for ~$500? I have been looking into the HE-500's but some guidance would be cool. This is endgame zone

The HE 500 new are above that budget by $200.  What do you have to power these endgame zone cans?

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #25,329 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Also worth checking out are the completed Fostex mods, the Mad Dogs.  See:

https://www.mrspeakers.com/Audiophile-fostex-t50rp-upgrades-mrspeakers-mad-dog

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #25,330 of 29,490
Quote:
The 8400 is (for me and many others) one of the most comfortable cans out there and memory foam is a big part of that.  The 8400 takes the very good 6400 and improves upon it in virtually every material way.  If the 8400 is too bright for you, you probably should look to options other than either KRK.

If the Brainwavz clone is the same as the Jaycar clone, it has a heavy clamp that brothers me, but is still wearable.  As comfort is an individual thing, no one but you can determine whether or not that clamping force is too strong for you.  I can only tell you that many people view it a problem to one degree or another.

Hmm alright. I'm leaning towards the 8400 for now. I'll read through some more threads and see.

Thanks for all the help!

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #25,331 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

This strikes me as a kind of odd request, but I need a headphone recommendation for a friend of mine. He his looking to upgrade his headphones from a pair of Razer Megalodons. Normally, I would have a variety of ideas for him, however he has no interest in adding any additional equipment to his setup (meaning no amps, no DAC's, etc).

Does anyone know of quality, preferably over ear, headphones that don't necessarily need an amp to sound decent? He tends to use his headphones mainly to play games as well as listen to music (mainly bassy stuff). If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear them.

Edit: Price range is sub $200

Thanks.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #25,332 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone,

This strikes me as a kind of odd request, but I need a headphone recommendation for a friend of mine. He his looking to upgrade his headphones from a pair of Razer Megalodons. Normally, I would have a variety of ideas for him, however he has no interest in adding any additional equipment to his setup (meaning no amps, no DAC's, etc).

Does anyone know of quality, preferably over ear, headphones that don't necessarily need an amp to sound decent? He tends to use his headphones mainly to play games as well as listen to music (mainly bassy stuff). If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear them.

Thanks.

What is his price range? That would go a looooong way lol

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #25,335 of 29,490

That's hard for anyone from outside to give anything approaching a definitive answer.  The M50 is closed, but does not isolate very well for a closed can.  You can expect that the semi-open DT 880 to isolate even less.  However, the specific level and type of noises from your neighbors is unknown to us, as is the volume at which you play your cans.

Rewritten my post. Disregard what I posted, isolation shouldn't be a big problem. Thanks!

I have been using the ATH M50s for a couple years and I've been thinking of spending my cash on something with more detail, but still preserves a great amount of punch in terms of bass. I've tried the AKG K550, and I love the amount of separation it gives, however I wish it would deliver a little more bass response. 

Price range: Anything from $240-$300. I don't mind reaching a little above if it makes a noticeable difference.

Music genres: Punk, metal, lo-fi indie rock, instrumental hip-hop

Priority: Suitable for long use > clarity > bass 

Portable: Just for home use. 

Amped: I'm currently sporting an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card with the standard onboard DAC and amp.

Closed/Open: Preferably semi-open or closed, but isolation isn't hugely important

Also, what do you guys think about the Kenwood KG-K1000? Good for electric guitar music? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back