++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #25,234 of 29,490
Hi I'm looking for headphones to really block out the sound while I study at school.

I've been looking at Bose QC15, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD-280 PRO.  I've read that active noise cancellation is best for humming droning noises, and not noises like talking.

I need it to block out all types of sounds. If possible I would like it to be not too bulky, because I have to carry it in my backpack so if it can fold up that would be a plus.  My price range is around 200.

Feel free to suggest any headphones if the ones I have been looking at are not worthy.

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #25,235 of 29,490
That is accurate about ANC - they'll block HVAC, fans, airplane cabin noise, etc but not barking dogs or yelling. The QC15 offer decent passive isolation as well, but you can spend less on the AE2 and get similar passive isolation (and more comfortable than M50).

You might also look at an IEM, which will offer a lot of passive isolation and be very portable.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #25,236 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking to buy my first cans. I wanted to shift from IEMs to full-size cans now. I usually listen to all genres of music be it pop, house, electro, alternative, rock, classical, etc. I'm basically looking for a good all-rounder and I had two headphones catch my attention. Not really looking for something too neutral as I would just be using it to enjoy music but with the detail there so I don't want anything like beats that are far too bassy. Which would be better?

ATH M50
DT 770 Pro 250 Ohms

Comments would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Hi

The ATH M50 is 38 ohms and the DT 770 Pro is 25O Ohms. DT770's sound great I dont know how the ATH M50 sound but you will need an amp if you decide to buy the DT770's :) 

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #25,239 of 29,490
Alright, so the following are on my list of cans to try this weekend:
  • Shure SRH940
  • AKG K550
  • Sony MDR-V6
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770

The Sony is on there, but I'm a little hesitant that a $65 headphone is going to deliver what I'm looking for. Still, no color lines, right? I've also put the DT 770 on there just because I'm interested in the comparison. It's probably not what I'm looking for at all, but I figure I should expose my ears to everything I can to refine my tastes. If anyone can think of any other decently closed-back, neutral, and relatively airy cans to try, I'm all ears.

Alright, I just came back from trying the K550 and I really disliked them. When the highs and the treble hit, it was uncomfortable. They reminded me of a highly degraded Q701 (a can i really like). I'm not sure that's what I'm going for now.

I tried several others while I was out, one of them being the Sennheiser Momentum. I'm a little embarrassed to say I absolutely fell in love with the sound from them. The problem is I have no idea what that means. I thought I was looking for a neutral headphone, but maybe not? I have no idea how to classify the Momentum, but that's what I'm looking for. So why not just get the Momentums and be happy? I'll tell you I was close to, but a couple things stopped me. The ear cups are SOO small, the leather heated my ears quickly, the low impedence makes me worry about whether or not to amp them (they sounded great both unamped and with a FiiO E07K), and they have an on-line mic (takes away from the seriousness to me).

So a couple of questions. I know how it sounds to me, but how would an audiophile describe the Momentum's sound? What other cans can I look at that replicate this sound? When you see low impedence from a headphone like that, what are your thoughts on ampping?

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #25,240 of 29,490
Hello everyone again,
I've saved up some money for my future M-100 and already plan on buying something else :D
This time I'm interested in flat/neutral and accurate/analytical sounding cans preferably for 300$ or less.
Open or closed doesn't really matter.
Any suggestions?

Definitely Shure 940's.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #25,241 of 29,490
Alright, I just came back from trying the K550 and I really disliked them. When the highs and the treble hit, it was uncomfortable. They reminded me of a highly degraded Q701 (a can i really like). I'm not sure that's what I'm going for now.

I tried several others while I was out, one of them being the Sennheiser Momentum. I'm a little embarrassed to say I absolutely fell in love with the sound from them. The problem is I have no idea what that means. I thought I was looking for a neutral headphone, but maybe not? I have no idea how to classify the Momentum, but that's what I'm looking for. So why not just get the Momentums and be happy? I'll tell you I was close to, but a couple things stopped me. The ear cups are SOO small, the leather heated my ears quickly, the low impedence makes me worry about whether or not to amp them (they sounded great both unamped and with a FiiO E07K), and they have an on-line mic (takes away from the seriousness to me).

So a couple of questions. I know how it sounds to me, but how would an audiophile describe the Momentum's sound? What other cans can I look at that replicate this sound? When you see low impedence from a headphone like that, what are your thoughts on ampping?

I think you're thinking about it too much. The Momentums are a good quality can that sound great and look great. Their only downfall is their sound stage is a bit small.

If you liked what you heard then get them and be happy cos you'll be less happy continually second guessing yourself about what headphones to buy id you've already heard a pair you like.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #25,242 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there

Bought a pair of 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros yesterday. I told the shop that I would be using them for personal use (gaming, listening to music etc) and told them I'd be powering them off the sound card on my computer so they advised the 250 version. However I am having trouble getting the sound card to work with my computer. If I continue to struggle I will look to go down the portable amp route instead. 

So at this point I have two questions:

1) Was the shop right in recommending me the 250 ohms with regards to what they will be used for?
2) If I do decide to get a portable amp, what one should I go for? Will something like the FiiO E06 be okay?

Thanks

Anyone?

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #25,243 of 29,490
I think you're thinking about it too much. The Momentums are a good quality can that sound great and look great. Their only downfall is their sound stage is a bit small.

If you liked what you heard then get them and be happy cos you'll be less happy continually second guessing yourself about what headphones to buy id you've already heard a pair you like.

I think you're right. They did get uncomfortable on my ears pretty quickly, but maybe that's something that I can overlook since I really do love the sound. I'd still love to heard how an audiophile would describe them for my own education. I means they would be described as neutral at this point, right?

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #25,244 of 29,490

If you love a can, it ticks all your boxes, and you can get a deal you're happy with there's no reason not to get it. IMO sound signature is very personal and isn't about what you play through it as what it plays into. The momentum is a very highly regarded closed can, if you like it you can't go wrong

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #25,245 of 29,490
Quote:

lol... i'm not a pro audiophile, but from what you're saying dude, just keep the momentums. they are legit a very highly rated top-of-their-class portable headphones in the $300ish dollar range. there's nothing to be embarrassed about. their sound quality is good lol. if you need reassurance from a "legit audiphile," read this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-adult-sennheiser-momentum

For your concerns:
1.) Most other $300 range headphones use pleather rather than leather, but all closed leather/pleather over-ears basically heat up ears. The small earcup has been mentioned by many as a con. If comfort is your top concern, I would recommend trying the Sony MDR-1R as many people say these are one of the most comfy headphones out there and is often compared to the Momentums. Remember that fit and comfort is very individual though.
2.) I don't really know much about impedance, but you can definitely find an amp to drive the momentum. As a portable headphone, it is nice that they have really good unamped sound quality and many people would consider this to be a plus that their sound signature does not require an amp to shine. I wouldn't worry about it, because I haven't read any complaints about the impedance being too low to enjoy.
3.) On-line mic is due to it being marketed as portable headphones (and IMO required at this price range to keep up with competitors). Reviews would mark off for a lack of mic/remote. The Momentums come with an audio only wire if that makes you feel better.

If you have questions, I have seriously read hundreds of reviews about all the headphones you can find in the $300ish price range. At the end of the day, none of that really matters compared to how you personally like the sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back