++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #25,051 of 29,490
Hi

I need a help with choosing some headphones or earphones for about 250$ for Smartphone’s.
The biggest issue I have with those headphones I used sine now is comfort, I should be able to use it without discomfort for an 8 hours I think the issue is in fact that I have huge ears.
Since now I have check:
Philips HP1000- it was comfortable for about 1-1,5 hours and after that my earlobe start to hurt
Sennheiser HD 598- it was comfortable for about 4 hours but after that top or earlobe start to hurt because there was not enough space inside headphone (top of earlobe was rolled to fit the headphones)
AKG 514- It was ok for about 30minuts after this it starting to hurt and after 1 hour I was forced to stop using them
Grado SR80- Not comfortable at all

I also try some earphones like PFE 112, Creative Auravana in-Ear, Sennheiser Cx 400 II, Shure SE213 and all had the same problem after about 2 hours of listen to music(not very loud) or just using it and hearing taps of phone I feel hard to describe discomfort inside my ear.

So I would like to buy headphones that would be comfortable to use by 8 hour for person that have big ears and if possible to play well with most Smartphone’s (I use almost every day different smartphone so I can’t give you specific model name).
About 40% of time I spend on listen to just smartphone “tap” sounds and about 60% on listening of classical music, kpop and some power metal.
I would appreciate any advice I can get.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #25,052 of 29,490
Hi guys. Pretty simple recommendation this one I hope :)

I've had a pair of Creative Fatality's for many years and only after getting a pair of higher quality in-ears for my phone have I come to realise how rubbish they are. My in-ears are only Soundmagic E10's but the difference in sound quality is crazy, and I can't bear to listen to the Creatives anymore.

Can anyone recommend me an entry-level 'audiophile' headset, that will be used for listening to music and gaming? The sound quality should be around the same as the E10's if possible, or slightly better (I'd rather not get LOADS better, as I'll probably want to replace those!!). Crucially, they should have a mic. I realise you can get clip on mics and such like, but I'm yet to find one these with a mute button and they look fiddly and awkward (if anyone can recommend one, then great 
bigsmile_face.gif
 - but not the ModMic as it seems to be constantly out of stock!).

Thanks guys, hope someone can help.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #25,053 of 29,490
Hi everyone, this is my first post. 

What are the best noise cancelling (active, over the ear, closed) headphones money can buy?

I have a pair of ATH-ANC7b's, and I'm hooked. When I click the NC switch on a train or in the office, I get an involuntary smile of serenity on my face. I almost can't imagine going back to non-noise-cancelling headphones. 

Unfortunately, the sound of the ATH-ANC7b's is ok, but could be better. What's my best possible bet for an upgrade? Let's say for now that the budget is $1000.

I listen to a wide variety of genres, though predominantly ones without vocals or guitars (eg. ambient, jazz, classical,  dub, dubstep, trance). I particularly like deep bass and wide soundstage

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #25,054 of 29,490
REVISED:

New member here:

Looking for: Sound isolation, tight seal, no sound leakage
Price range: Under $1K
Used: outside, in public places, but headphones can be large as long as there are cases. Cable <6ft preferred
Genre/sound signature: I listen to a wide variety, including pop, classical, electronica but not including rap, country. I'd like slight emphasis on bass, but not if clarity is sacrificed. Above all, I want crispiness
Equipment: Walkman MP3 player or desktop computer; mainly looking for use with my portable mp3 player

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #25,055 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for some new closed cans for use when I am out (with ipod), but I cant seem to find ones which tick all the boxes for me, so thought I would come here to see if anyone can provide some inspiration about which ones may fit the bill...

I currently have:

Sennheiser HD595
Westone 3
Beats Studio
Ultimate ears super fi 5 pro extended bass

I also have fiio e7 and e9 combo.

I use the Senns at home and Im happy with them as my open phone for now and Westone 3's get use, although I just prefer full size phones. So I got the beats studios for cheap and I mostly use them whilst out / in uni. I think they sound ok, I like the bass and for what I paid for them they do the job. However I know that I can do much better than the beats as a closed can, so I have been looking to replace them as my on the go headphone. After much research, I have already bought and returned:

Beyer DT770 pro (80) - They sounded great on my pc through E7/E9, but too underpowered straight into ipod and didnt work well amped just off the E7 (bass and vocals sounded wobbly / almost like underwater when amped through it). They were real comfortable, but for me, too big to wear in town / uni.

Ultrasone HFI 580 - These sounded good (preferred the beyers through the E9/E7 combo, but straight from ipod or through E7, they were good). However, I shave my head and they have a ridiculously big headband that stick out a mile and just look stupid.

So, although sound quality is paramount and I want a can with good bass impact, I also dont want to look like a pleb wearing them in town / on bus / in uni.

So my question is, are there any other closed phones of similar quality to the beyers or ultrasone (or better!), that are good all rounders, have as much bass as possible and arent ridiculously big in terms of how they sit on the head? I will happily spend a bit more than the beyers if possible, but Im runnning out of ideas. I considered ATH M50's, but it seems that they are inferior to the ones I have tried, so not really feeling too confident about getting them.

I listen to all types of music, from rap / edm / rock / metal / folk, anything but classical / jazz etc really

Any ideas!?!?

The Sennheiser Momentum sound like a very good fit for your tastes and needs. They're demoable in quite a few Apple stores, give them a try before you buy as the earpad size is rather small and people have had comfort issues.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #25,056 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi

I need a help with choosing some headphones or earphones for about 250$ for Smartphone’s.
The biggest issue I have with those headphones I used sine now is comfort, I should be able to use it without discomfort for an 8 hours I think the issue is in fact that I have huge ears.
Since now I have check:
Philips HP1000- it was comfortable for about 1-1,5 hours and after that my earlobe start to hurt
Sennheiser HD 598- it was comfortable for about 4 hours but after that top or earlobe start to hurt because there was not enough space inside headphone (top of earlobe was rolled to fit the headphones)
AKG 514- It was ok for about 30minuts after this it starting to hurt and after 1 hour I was forced to stop using them

I also try some earphones like PFE 112, Creative Auravana in-Ear, Sennheiser Cx 400 II, Shure SE213 and all had the same problem after about 2 hours of listen to music(not very loud) or just using it and hearing taps of phone I feel hard to describe discomfort inside my ear.

So I would like to buy headphones that would be comfortable to use by 8 hour for person that have big ears and if possible to play well with most Smartphone’s (I use almost every day different smartphone so I can’t give you specific model name).
About 40% of time I spend on listen to just smartphone “tap” sounds and about 60% on listening of classical music, kpop and some power metal.

8 hrs of use a day is quite daunting, I'm not sure many will meet your needs. The Senn 598 is still one of (if not the most) comfortable over-ear headphones I've worn.

I would actually recommend trying an on-ear headphone that spreads pressure well without clamping hard. The B&W P3 was a wonder to me comfort and weight-wise. You sacrifice a little in terms of sound quality, but out of smartphones I think you'll be just fine. They are demoable at most Apple stores, give them a go.

Best of luck.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #25,057 of 29,490
Quote:

What are the best noise cancelling (active, over the ear, closed) headphones money can buy?

I have a pair of ATH-ANC7b's, and I'm hooked. When I click the NC switch on a train or in the office, I get an involuntary smile of serenity on my face. I almost can't imagine going back to non-noise-cancelling headphones. 

Unfortunately, the sound of the ATH-ANC7b's is ok, but could be better. What's my best possible bet for an upgrade? Let's say for now that the budget is $1000.

I listen to a wide variety of genres, though predominantly ones without vocals or guitars (eg. ambient, jazz, classical,  dub, dubstep, trance). I particularly like deep bass and wide soundstage

Hi Vol,

Honestly for NC, it doesn't get any better than the Bose QC15s for me. I fly on a frequent basis and have tried a good variety of headphones for use in flight. Haven't found anything I prefer over the QC15s they hand out in first/business class. Your budget allows for significantly more than the most expensive NC headphones I am aware of.

Best of luck.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #25,058 of 29,490
OK, I've just been a IEM person now ever since I got into higher quality audio but I've been really wanting to try a good decently price pair of over ear headphones.  So can people recommend a headphone around the $200 price point (maybe up to $240 or so) that has good detail and clarity (they can have a warm signature as long as they're detailed) strong mids that can even be forward and clean punchy bass as well as clean non fatiguing highs.  Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated, oh and impedance I don't really want it to be higher than around 200 ohms to 250 ohms but nothing over 300 ohms for sure.

Also I might consider a good on ear phone also.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #25,059 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Recessed mids means that the middle frequencies of your music (think guitars and vocals) is presented in significantly less relative volume than is the bass and treble.

The DT 770 was discontinued in 2011, but the DT 770 Pro and M (made for drummers) can still be bought new.  The Pros come in 30 (most easily drive), 80 and 250 (most difficult to drive) Ohm versions.  They are widely considered to be very comfortable, durable, isolate well and leak little.  They are also very big and come with a long fixed cord.

So when you say that it's easier to drive, does this mean that the sound quality is better unamped? Sorry for my ignorance once again.

Ok, I think I'll rule out the KRKs, since they might be too bright (and consequently fatiguing).
Between DT 770, Shure and AKG K240, which one would you recommend?

Not putting enough power in headphone (or speaker) means that you might not hear it all; you can only achieve lower volume levels; the quality of the sound (e.g. bass, soundstage and much more) is degraded.

Already answered that about 10 hours ago.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #25,060 of 29,490
Quote:
OK, I've just been a IEM person now ever since I got into higher quality audio but I've been really wanting to try a good decently price pair of over ear headphones.  So can people recommend a headphone around the $200 price point (maybe up to $240 or so) that has good detail and clarity (they can have a warm signature as long as they're detailed) strong mids that can even be forward and clean punchy bass as well as clean non fatiguing highs.  Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated, oh and impedance I don't really want it to be higher than around 200 ohms to 250 ohms but nothing over 300 ohms for sure.

Also I might consider a good on ear phone also.

Senn 598s - forward mids, great non-harsh highs, and a bass line that delivers. Clarity and detail are definitely on point for the price. If you're in Dallas and want to demo them, you might be near me! Let me know if you want to demo them and we can work something out.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #25,061 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The DT 880 is the most versatile and would be my pick.  The HE 400 would be #2.  Because the HD 650 lacks speed for electronic music, I'd put it in the #3 slot.

Read more about all of them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Thanks for your input, I've read about all of them on the specified thread and around the forum as well. It's really hard choice for me since all 3 seem to be favourites among the community. I would honestly prefer a little more bass, especially in the sub-bass so I am kind of leaning towards HE-400. My concern is the fact that I will be pairing it with an o2 amp which might brigthen the HE-400 too much. Do you think that a DT880 would be even more brighter than the HE-400 with the same amp?

I don't have the O2, but can tell you that pairing the DT 880 with a bright amp is a bad idea.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #25,062 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi

Since now I have check:

Once again I’ll mention that headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

I'll add that the HD 598 is generally considered to be one of the more comfortable cans on the market.  You might begin by focusing on cans with thick and large velor pads or ear pads made with memory foam.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #25,063 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys. Pretty simple recommendation this one I hope :)

I've had a pair of Creative Fatality's for many years and only after getting a pair of higher quality in-ears for my phone have I come to realise how rubbish they are. My in-ears are only Soundmagic E10's but the difference in sound quality is crazy, and I can't bear to listen to the Creatives anymore.

Can anyone recommend me an entry-level 'audiophile' headset, that will be used for listening to music and gaming? The sound quality should be around the same as the E10's if possible, or slightly better (I'd rather not get LOADS better, as I'll probably want to replace those!!). Crucially, they should have a mic. I realise you can get clip on mics and such like, but I'm yet to find one these with a mute button and they look fiddly and awkward (if anyone can recommend one, then great 
bigsmile_face.gif
 - but not the ModMic as it seems to be constantly out of stock!).

Thanks guys, hope someone can help.

This section is for full sized headphones only.  There is a recommendations thread in the portable headphones, IEM section of the forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #25,064 of 29,490
Quote:

I'd start with these:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-noise-canceling

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #25,065 of 29,490
Quote:
REVISED:

New member here:

Looking for: Sound isolation, tight seal, no sound leakage
Price range: Under $1K
Used: outside, in public places, but headphones can be large as long as there are cases. Cable <6ft preferred
Genre/sound signature: I listen to a wide variety, including pop, classical, electronica but not including rap, country. I'd like slight emphasis on bass, but not if clarity is sacrificed. Above all, I want crispiness
Equipment: Walkman MP3 player or desktop computer; mainly looking for use with my portable mp3 player

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

No sense in even considering $1000 ish cans unless the quality of your music files is top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back