++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #25,006 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Probably not. Try to refrain from using such hyped-up language (eargasm, blow my mind, etc) that will guarantee a disappointment, especially for marginal upgrades like that.

I know through the internet i can only get opinions, but that's all i can base my buys on because i don't have a store that lets me test headphones other than Best Buy.
Should i return these and buy another set for $200>?, Should i keep these?, i'm very lost here.

The 558 is a well regarded can.  Still it may or may not be the sound signature and/or design for you.  That's something you have to decide.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #25,007 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Just be sure he knows that these are factory refurbished.

I did notice that. With computers and other electronics, I've found that refurbs are as good as new. Should I be concerned about refurb headphones? I was just about to buy these!

I wanted to add that I am a little concerned about the weight and the "wings" on the ATH-A900x. However, I really like the range. Just what I was looking for! The other set I am considering is the Shure SRH750DJ. Any thoughts on these? On paper, they look better than the 840s

Yes--at least sometimes you need to be concerned about refurbs.  Some come with a (usually reduced) warranty and some come with none.  Some are refurbed by techs that work for the company that made them and some, for all you know, by some guy in his garage.  I'm not against buying refurbs, but it depends.  The first (but not only) bump gate they have to clear is the price spread between a new one with a warranty and the refurb.

The AT is not heavy, but the places where the wings touch the head can cause some minor discomfort for some as they are worn.  I am one of those people when wearing the older A900.

Haven't heard them recently, but isn't the 750DJ (like many DJ cans) a bass oriented headphone to one degree or another?  If so, it will have a very different sound signature from the other two.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #25,008 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
$600 puts you just under the gateway to the very best, the HiFiMan HE 500, which normally goes for $699.  It also just falls short of the Shure SRH 1840, which can often be had for just a bit less.

A year to nine months ago, I would have recommended the now discontinued Denon D7000--or at least the D5000.  Since you've banned Grados (and presumptively Alessandros), that further limits your options at or near the top of your budget.

My fall back positions are the Beyer DT 880 600 Ohm (if the Magni will drive them) or 250 Ohm (if it won't), Audio Technica ATH-W1000X, Audio-Technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X ordered directly from Japan, or it predecessor, the ATH-AD2000.

Then again, you can save another $99...

Many thanks for the reply.
biggrin.gif

I placed $600 as the maximum budget as I would need to take into account these things:
1. Sales tax: 10%
2. Shipping from US to Malaysia: Minimum of $25
3. Conversion rate: 1USD = MYR3.1

So following this, for $600 spent, I guess I would have to pay around $700 or $800 which would be around MYR2100 - MYR2400 which should then be the maximum budget I am willing to spend.
I was actually planning to get the lower model Hifiman HE-400 as it has good reviews and a lot of people seem to like them. 
Another choice that I was considering would be the AKG Q701 and the Beyer DT880 600 ohm. I think the Magni is able to drive them. Just that it might not be as well driven as the 250 ohm version.
And plus, I don't think I want to use all of my budget. I just placed $600 so that I can get more suggestions. 
And one more thing, I didn't really banned the Grados. Just that I find them a bit uncomfortable. I think I might get myself the sr225i in the near future if I would like to rock my head to some guitar orientated music. But till then, the DR150 should suffice for rock. I think they do have an almost similar brightness as the lower end Grados except that the highs are a bit less aggressive. 
atsmile.gif

Thank you.

The HE 400, Q701, as well as the HD 600 & 650 are all excellent cans as well.  However, I was trying to focus on cans (except for the Beyer--which gets an A+ rating for value) that were toward the top of you budget.

Had you not "banned" Grados, I would suggest that you look into the RS-1i, 2i & PS-500, as well as their Alessandro cousin.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #25,009 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for Headphones for Music & Gaming.

Price Up to £300 (£250-80 as need clip on mic)
Music - All genres but i like voices to standout more than the music.
location - indoor only
setup - PC With ASUS Xonar STX (has built in headphone amp up to 600ohms)
sources - all music from CD in FLAC format.
gaming - dont need postional audio just good qaulity.
current - PC360 from sennhesier

The Shure SRH 940 do vocals very well.  They do present entire body of your music, however.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #25,010 of 29,490
Quote:
Yes--at least sometimes you need to be concerned about refurbs.  Some come with a (usually reduced) warranty and some come with none.  

Good point. There isn't any information about the warranty for these. I just asked buydig, waiting for reply. They do not come with a warranty from buydigg. "They have been inspected by our certified technician..."

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #25,011 of 29,490
Quote:
thank u. how much is it for your hd518?

Quote:
I bought my refurbished Sennheiser HD518 from [url=http://www.head-fi.org/URL]www.vminnovations.com. [/URL] I also heard of dahmart and dakmart.  Of course, I recommend that you do some research before buying from any used or refurbished equipment seller.  I noticed that you already found out about The Deals Thread...

About $77 at the beginning of October 2012.  However, I think that they are currently out of it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #25,013 of 29,490
A900x vs hd598 vs mdr ma900 vs sennheiser momentum vs mdr1r vs hd600
now i know that the probability of someone having all these is slim but whatever.

i know all about the design and other aspects of these cans, im looking for pure sound quality for my likes:

nice slightly emphasized bass (but i could settle for a little less bass (hd598))

cant deal with recessed mids (not too recessed)

nice soundstage

Thanks, ill be using an ipod 4 and galaxy media player w/ fiio e11.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #25,014 of 29,490
Subbed. And V-Moda Crossfade LP for 80 bucks from amazon warehouse.

Is it a good deal for this headphone? I am sorry that I forgot to quote for the previous reply. By the way, is it a large difference between LP and LP2? thanks.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #25,015 of 29,490
I'm looking for full size, comfy, circumaural cans with A LOT of ear space and depth. First choice is open, second choice is semi open. Will be used mostly for movies, connected to our stereo's headphone jack. On my list are:

1) Superlux HD681

2) Superlux HD 668

Any other open or semi-open cans you would recommend under $40? Thanks.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #25,016 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for full size, comfy, circumaural cans with A LOT of ear space and depth. First choice is open, second choice is semi open. Will be used mostly for movies, connected to our stereo's headphone jack. On my list are:

1) Superlux HD681

2) Superlux HD 668

Any other open or semi-open cans you would recommend under $40? Thanks.

The Superlux HD668b is the better can and is your better choice if you stereo can push it.  It is slightly less efficient.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #25,017 of 29,490
Quote:
A900x vs hd598 vs mdr ma900 vs sennheiser momentum vs mdr1r vs hd600
now i know that the probability of someone having all these is slim but whatever.

i know all about the design and other aspects of these cans, im looking for pure sound quality for my likes:

nice slightly emphasized bass (but i could settle for a little less bass (hd598))

cant deal with recessed mids (not too recessed)

nice soundstage

Thanks, ill be using an ipod 4 and galaxy media player w/ fiio e11.

That's 6 cans.  I doubt that anyone has heard all 6 enough (or at all) to tell you.  I haven't heard all of them.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #25,018 of 29,490
well have you heard any if them? It would be nice if you could give me a quick impression on any of them that youve heard

And snce you guys asked for more (lol)i would also like to add:
Sr325i and dt880

You only need to compare 2 of them, then ill slowly cancel out different options.

Thanks!

That's 6 cans.  I doubt that anyone has heard all 6 enough (or at all) to tell you.  I haven't heard all of them.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #25,019 of 29,490
well have you heard any if them? It would be nice if you could give me a quick impression on any of them that youve heard

Sr325i and dt880

You only need to compare 2 of them, then ill slowly cancel out different options.

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #25,020 of 29,490
Quote:

Sr325i and dt880

Thanks!

Better idea--you cull the list down to two (instead of increasing the list to 8) and all of our time will be better spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back