++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 15, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #24,752 of 29,490
Hello, its me again.
I'm really torn now with this headphone stuff. I think I made up my mind on the Beyerdynamic DT 880, but then I read that they might lack bass and are not the best choice for rock and might have harsh treble, which I, personally, dislike. I listen to rock and heavy among all types of music and really want a do it all headphone. I will be getting a FiiO E17 DAC amp and want the best phones for under 300-400€. For now, my list of considered looks like this:

Beyerdynamic DT 880
AKG Q701
AKG K551
Sennheiser HD650
Hifiman HE-400

First of all I'm getting them as an upgrade to my AKG K501s, which lack bass for me. Second, I don't want to get the AKG Q701 just because its AKG and I like them and they are among the most beautiful headphones ever made (in lime or white). I do gaming, movies, music on them and want a do all headphone. Some isolation would be nice (I have glasses which might not work with sealed phones?) but sound quality goes above all. I should be able to drive the phones with the FiiO E17 amp dac.I listen to 320 and lossless from PC/laptop.
Are there some headphones you would rule out immediately? Some that you would add to the list? Which would be the best for me?

0. They are an upgrade to K501

1. Perfect sound for me (I get used to new things fast)

2. Possibly open, since I don't know if closed will work with glasses that well.

3. Gaming, music, movies.

4. YES lively, clear, unveiled, articulate, definitive, revealing sound, a little warmth is +, natural; NOT overly sterile or cold

5. Decent oomph in the bass (can be obtained by eq is fine with me), great mids, non-tiring highs

6. Guitars (distorted and acoustic), vocals, piano need to sound good

7. Comfortable to wear hours on end

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #24,753 of 29,490
Hey Guys, which one is the more suitable overall headphone (already know about comfort and build and stuff) for the type of music I like: R&B, Hip Hop, Rock/Alternative, J-Rock/Pop, Classical/ Hans Zimmer.
•DT-770 pro 80
•UE6000
•MDR MA900

I'll be playing them out of an iPod touch 4g w/and/or a fiio e11.

Reminder: I already know about the MA900 being open and all that good stuff, just looking for pure sound.

Thanks!

Bump, Please Help

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #24,756 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there everyone, I have one last question I think,

I am deciding between the CAL! and SRH440, but I'm leaning towards the SRH440 due to their rugged design and reputation for a great mids with fairly neutral leveling. My question is what "unforgiving of source quality" actually entails. I can definitely hear the difference between sound in 128kb/s, 320kb/s, flac, vinyl etc. in all player formats except perhaps my extremely cheap ($9) ear buds (and even then I can tell the difference half the time). But some of my music... well, I can't always get that high definition, high speed sound. It doesn't bother me necessarily when something is lower quality, I just notice it and move on. When cans are said to be unforgiving of source quality, does that mean a lower quality recording becomes unlistenable (will hurt your ears, will not play correctly, etc.), or does it just mean that the difference is much more obvious?

I have searched through the forums but can't seem to find a straight answer here.

Thanks for all your help
~Justin

Bumping myself, it looks like I got lost.

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #24,758 of 29,490
Ok I am going to pull the trigger by the end of the weekend.  I have been doing a lot of lurking on different boards but have been the most helped by this forum.  Lots of good information here.

I listen to classic rock mostly followed by 80s heavy metal and hard rock from the 90s and modern era.  I also game.
I have a pair of ATH A-700s.  I find them to be comfortable except for making my ears sweat.  The A700s are the only decent headphones I have ever owned, I have nothing to compare them to.
I like the isolation of closed back headphones, but I am not opposed to trying something new.
I like the sound of the A-700s I remember being amazed when I got them at hearing things in music I had never heard.  I am seeking that amazed feeling again,  I want to put on a new set of headphones and think "wow this is why you pay for the good stuff". 
I paid about 120 for A700s and it was worth it.  I don't know how much more you need to spend to reach the next level.  I am new to this hobby but am interested.  I have been spending bi-monthly for years on my computer hobby.  I would consider anything 500 and under ok to spend to get me started.  I understand that down the road I probably will be spending many multiples of that figure.  Is 500 enough to spend  to tell a distinct difference quality between what I have now and what I will be getting?  I want to upgrade not sidegrade.

It looks like I'll need to buy new.  If I buy used it may have to be off a major site like Amazon.  I lurked in the For Sale threads here.  I found a few sets I was interested in and sent a PM to the sellers.  Neither seller responded to tell me my offer was good, bad, or to jump in a lake.  It's ok, I get that, I'm new and trust needs to be built.  I wouldn't buy off a new guy so I get not wanting to sell to one.  So for now I'll buy some new cans and then down the road, in several months, people will know me here and we'll wheel and deal in the for sale forums then.

So, took a long time to say:
need headphones - have ATH A700s and like them  - looking for the next level of quality
listen to rock music, mostly classic.
like to game
like closed headphones but willing to try something new
budget is 500 and under (this has increased over the last week due to reading this damn forum)

They will be plugged into a Soundblaster ZXR it has a 600 Ohm headphone outlet supplied by a 80mw TI TPA6120
In the future I'm sure I'll want to upgrade

I have been interested in:
DT 880 pro
DT 990 premium (don't like the looks of the pro)
ATH A900x
ATH-W1000x (these are pretty)
HD 600s or 650s
HE 400 (concerned about comfort with these)

Thank you in advance for you time, patience, and help.

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #24,759 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, its me again.
I'm really torn now with this headphone stuff. I think I made up my mind on the Beyerdynamic DT 880, but then I read that they might lack bass and are not the best choice for rock and might have harsh treble, which I, personally, dislike. I listen to rock and heavy among all types of music and really want a do it all headphone. I will be getting a FiiO E17 DAC amp and want the best phones for under 300-400€. For now, my list of considered looks like this:

Beyerdynamic DT 880
AKG Q701
AKG K551
Sennheiser HD650
Hifiman HE-400

First of all I'm getting them as an upgrade to my AKG K501s, which lack bass for me. Second, I don't want to get the AKG Q701 just because its AKG and I like them and they are among the most beautiful headphones ever made (in lime or white). I do gaming, movies, music on them and want a do all headphone. Some isolation would be nice (I have glasses which might not work with sealed phones?) but sound quality goes above all. I should be able to drive the phones with the FiiO E17 amp dac.I listen to 320 and lossless from PC/laptop.
Are there some headphones you would rule out immediately? Some that you would add to the list? Which would be the best for me?

0. They are an upgrade to K501

1. Perfect sound for me (I get used to new things fast)

2. Possibly open, since I don't know if closed will work with glasses that well.

3. Gaming, music, movies.

4. YES lively, clear, unveiled, articulate, definitive, revealing sound, a little warmth is +, natural; NOT overly sterile or cold

5. Decent oomph in the bass (can be obtained by eq is fine with me), great mids, non-tiring highs

6. Guitars (distorted and acoustic), vocals, piano need to sound good

7. Comfortable to wear hours on end

From what I read, the Hifi Man is the king of the price range. I myself am going to pick up a pair when I get the cash to do so.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #24,760 of 29,490
Quote:
Bumping myself, it looks like I got lost.

it can be both....depends on how bad the recording...:p

440 is clear lean sounding...cali has more body to the sound, slightly less clear comparatively.
i would pick 440 for classicals....cali for pop

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #24,761 of 29,490
nikhil007, I am not sure how you arrived at the list of those four models for selection.  Considering your love of bass, under $200, portable use, and comfortable requirements; I suggest the ath-m50 from your list.  I assume that you are new to head-fi arena and will give you my personal suggestion for the best set of cans suited for a good start at enjoying enhanced listening.  Since you did not list the sources of your music ( phone, ipod, computer, cd, size of files, external dac, amp, home recordings, etc.), I am guessing that you will be listening via ipod/mp3 player, phone, and/or computer. I recommend only 2 units for your needs.  (1.) Klipsch Image One or (2.) Numark PHX USB.  I highly suggest the Klipsch over the harder to find Numark.  Klipsch Image One -- 32ohm is easy to drive without an amp at loud levels, closed design for leakage control while out in public settings, has bass/mid-bass emphasis to satisfy bassheads, very comfortable supra-aural (on ear) 40mm drivers, comes with 1/4" adapter and zippered padded case for easy carry, has inline mic, volume, and phone controls.  Numark PHX USB --  unique usb cable for direct connection to computer, 50mm drivers, folding design, drawstring carry bag that holds 1/4" adapter and additional velour pads, bass emphasis, slightly deeper soundstage than Klipsch Image One, rugged design.

I recommend the Klipsch Image One.  I will be posting detailed reviews in the near future of both headphones on this site.  I own both units.  Overall sound quality is won by the Numark.  The Klipsch win in comfort.  The phone controls and padded zippered case makes the Image One the standout winner for portable use.  Research the Klipsch Image One. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #24,762 of 29,490
there is a klipsch reference one too.....supposedly an upgraded image one, with better cable n oldgoldtrim.
i didnt take on to the v shaped sound signature, but my fren loved it...for hiphop dubstep etc.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #24,763 of 29,490
Quote:

it can be both....depends on how bad the recording...:p

440 is clear lean sounding...cali has more body to the sound, slightly less clear comparatively.
i would pick 440 for classicals....cali for pop

So a recording will only be unlistenable if it was only made listenable by low definition players smoothing out the crappiness in the first place. That's good. None of my recordings are especially bad, I just have some low quality files. My best media is on vinyl, so it's not like the high fidelity capability of the 440s wont get used
happy_face1.gif

I think I'll pick up the 440s, thanks for your help. Now to figure out how to get these things cheap.

Hey Ebay, I need to speak with you!...

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #24,764 of 29,490
Almost a year later, but I got the opportunity to audition the LCD-2 at a local store, using some super expensive amp.  Meh, clarity was amazing, but still not worth $1000.  Having never owned full-sized cans, only 535's & 16 pros, maybe I'm just expecting too much.  I like nice, tight, robust bass; lush, forward mids, and unoffensive treble/highs.  Open-back cans just make no sense to me, not for someone into electronic.  I just don't feel like exceptional soundstage and airiness really have a huge part to play in electronic music.  Definition, clarity, highly precise low-end, & the ability to not muddle everything together, those are the important things for electronic music.

Having said all this any new suggestions?  I'll up the antee to $2500 for headphones & an amp.  Also, these don't have to be portable, would be nice but they certainly don't have to be

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #24,765 of 29,490
Quote:
Almost a year later, but I got the opportunity to audition the LCD-2 at a local store, using some super expensive amp.  Meh, clarity was amazing, but still not worth $1000.  Having never owned full-sized cans, only 535's & 16 pros, maybe I'm just expecting too much.  I like nice, tight, robust bass; lush, forward mids, and unoffensive treble/highs.  Open-back cans just make no sense to me, not for someone into electronic.  I just don't feel like exceptional soundstage and airiness really have a huge part to play in electronic music.  Definition, clarity, highly precise low-end, & the ability to not muddle everything together, those are the important things for electronic music.

Having said all this any new suggestions?  I'll up the antee to $2500 for headphones & an amp.  Also, these don't have to be portable, would be nice but they certainly don't have to be

You've upped yourself onto the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back