++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 13, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #24,617 of 29,490
Where do you live and in what country do you plan to buy?
USA

What is your budget?
$200-$300

Are you ok with open cans (they leak sound)?
Absolutely my number one priority is sound quality followed by comfort

What equipment will be powering these cans? Will you be using an amp?
Smartphone (Iphone 5), mac or iPod Classic,and im open to buying the right amp with the right headphones.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
Spotify, netflix, iTunes, and some higher quality rips.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
Balanced with a nice bass, and not to sharp in the higher ranges.

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
Pop, Electronic, alternative and Rock.

Do you plan to use them outside your home? If so, in what way & with what
Smartphone or iPod Classic.

Right now I own a pair of ath-m50s and while they sound pretty good they seem to be a little sharp at times and I want something that will deliver a premium sound but is not to hard on the ears.

Also something comfortable would be nice The m50s took a while to break in and while they are decently comfortable I want something that is gonna feel nice on my head for an extended period of time.

These headphones would just be aimed at the enjoyment of my music and would prominently be used indoors so the best audio+ comfort for the best price with any amp configuration suited for the particular set would be preferred. Finally I want something with more soundstage .

Thanks.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #24,618 of 29,490
Quote:
Where do you live and in what country do you plan to buy?
USA

What is your budget?
$200-$300

Are you ok with open cans (they leak sound)?
Absolutely my number one priority is sound quality followed by comfort

What equipment will be powering these cans? Will you be using an amp?
Smartphone (Iphone 5), mac or iPod Classic,and im open to buying the right amp with the right headphones.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?
Spotify, netflix, iTunes, and some higher quality rips.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
Balanced with a nice bass, and not to sharp in the higher ranges.

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?
Pop, Electronic, alternative and Rock.

Do you plan to use them outside your home? If so, in what way & with what
Smartphone or iPod Classic.

Right now I own a pair of ath-m50s and while they sound pretty good they seem to be a little sharp at times and I want something that will deliver a premium sound but is not to hard on the ears.

Also something comfortable would be nice The m50s took a while to break in and while they are decently comfortable I want something that is gonna feel nice on my head for an extended period of time.

These headphones would just be aimed at the enjoyment of my music and would prominently be used indoors so the best audio+ comfort for the best price with any amp configuration suited for the particular set would be preferred. Finally I want something with more soundstage .

Thanks.

When you say "nice bass" do you mean bass enhanced beyond neutral like the M-50, or quality bass in a balanced sound signature, or something else (in which case you need to describe it)?

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #24,619 of 29,490
Hello.  I'm in a bit of a pickle here and I am in need of crowd sourced help. 

For the last year and a half or so I have been using a pair of JVC HA-FXT90's and have been loving them despite the fact that I felt like they were only great for their price (these headphones turn into something else with an EQ). Now, a few days ago I picked up a pair of Sennheiser Momentums and now I am having mixed feelings about them.   On one hand they obviously outclass any headphones I have ever experienced, but one the other hand I am not sure the tone of the headphones is right for the style of music I listen to. 

These headphones have a very warm presence to them in comparison to what I was expecting and I feel like that is what is turning me off on them, sort of like how I can not stand the sound of vinyl in comparison to the sound of a CD.

So this is where you guys come in.  Do I have the right headphones and just need to keep practicing my EQ skills, or are there any other headphones that I should be looking out for?

What I listen to - Metal, Indie Rock, Electronic, and Podcasts / Audiobooks

Requirements - The same price or cheaper than the Momentums (I can go a little higher if it gets me exactly what I want, but I kind of spent too much as it is), Low impedance because my main music players are my Iphone 5 and Sansa Clip + (Rockboxed), and since I commute for two hours a day it has to have great isolation (so no open headphones) and comfort. 

Ideal Tone - Colder than the Momentums, highs that are a little more pronounced, and less emphasis on bass but also with bass that is quicker, punchier, and generally more fun.  Otherwise the Momentums are a great start.

Edit:  I just switched out the inline controls cable with the plain 'ol cable and the difference in SQ is actually noticeable.  Not too major, but there is a difference in the quality of the low end especially when it comes to distortion.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #24,622 of 29,490
Check out the Audio Technica ATH-AD900 and the new "X" version (which I have not yet heard).  The only caveats I have about them for you are whether or not neutral-ish bass is what you really want and whether or not they will be fast enough for electronic music.

Problem is that most fast headphones with which I am familiar are also on the bright side.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #24,623 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello.  I'm in a bit of a pickle here and I am in need of crowd sourced help. 

For the last year and a half or so I have been using a pair of JVC HA-FXT90's and have been loving them despite the fact that I felt like they were only great for their price (these headphones turn into something else with an EQ). Now, a few days ago I picked up a pair of Sennheiser Momentums and now I am having mixed feelings about them.   On one hand they obviously outclass any headphones I have ever experienced, but one the other hand I am not sure the tone of the headphones is right for the style of music I listen to. 

These headphones have a very warm presence to them in comparison to what I was expecting and I feel like that is what is turning me off on them, sort of like how I can not stand the sound of vinyl in comparison to the sound of a CD.

So this is where you guys come in.  Do I have the right headphones and just need to keep practicing my EQ skills, or are there any other headphones that I should be looking out for?

What I listen to - Metal, Indie Rock, Electronic, and Podcasts / Audiobooks

Requirements - The same price or cheaper than the Momentums (I can go a little higher if it gets me exactly what I want, but I kind of spent too much as it is), Low impedance because my main music players are my Iphone 5 and Sansa Clip + (Rockboxed), and since I commute for two hours a day it has to have great isolation (so no open headphones) and comfort. 

Ideal Tone - Colder than the Momentums, highs that are a little more pronounced, and less emphasis on bass but also with bass that is quicker, punchier, and generally more fun.  Otherwise the Momentums are a great start.

Have you heard the on ear Senn Amperior? 

No amp and portablity requirement greatly limit your options.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #24,624 of 29,490
Hello all,

So I currently own an odac and Schiit Magni.  Now I just need my headphones.  I was looking at two, the HE-400 and Mad Dogs by Mr Speaker with the new Alpha Pads.  Both are supposed to be great headphones and I'm just wondering which would be better for me.  I have done much research, but I can never seem to find more than one comparison between these two.  Based on what i know; both are supposed to be very similar sound wise.  They are both orthos, so they have great bass quality, both have good mids, and treble on the HE-400 is a little more sparkly... I think.  Obviously one is closed and the other is open.  So my questions are;
1.  Which would be better amped by my Odac and Schiit Magni? (IE, which is easier to amp?)
2.  Which would have more intimate mids? Another way to put it is which would have mids more similar to the HD650?  I would assume that the Mad Dog being closed and having a less wide soundstage would have the more "romantic" mids compared to the HE-400's wider soundstage, but I would like to get some feedback on this.
3.  Would the Mad Dogs do well for gaming?  I have heard that their imaging is great.

The genres I listen to are mainly rock, reggae, orchestral, and I'm getting more and more into electronic and dubstep.  I plan using these headphones on my pc and for gaming.  Isolation isn't an issue.  Thanks for checking this out, and I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #24,625 of 29,490
Quote:
Have you heard the on ear Senn Amperior? 

No amp and portablity requirement greatly limit your options.

Thanks for the reply.  I know of the Amperior's and right now I am furiously reading comparisons of the Momentums / Amperiors / V Moda M-100's.  The Amperiors sound like they are mostly what I am looking for, with my only concerns being the on-ear design.  Though I have been hearing a lot of good things about the V Moda's (http://www.innerfidelity.com's wall of fame says that their tone and response is designed for contemporary music where the Momentums are for more laid back music).

I just wish there was a place where I could actually listen to different headphones instead of having to purchase on faith alone.

Edit:  I am also not opposed to picking up an amp.  I feel it is my duty as someone who spends enough time with headphones, yet after spending this much money on headphones an amp has to wait for a bit.
Edit2:  I know this is probably the wrong thread for this, but I am not opposed to the idea of IEM's.  The only problem I have with IEM's are the sound stage.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #24,626 of 29,490
Neutral and unamped and portable--go with the CAL! if you're not going to stuff them in your back pack.  Go with the KRK KNS 8400 for neutral-ish (less) bass and very good durability.  Sony also makes some good choices, but more of them come with long fixed cords, that make less than optimal for portable use.

Thanks for the suggestions. While I dont have an amp currently, if it makes that much of a difference, I am not opposed to picking up a portabke amp as well.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #24,628 of 29,490
I would like to recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-A900X as a good contender for closed-back headphones in the $200-$300 price range. Very fun cans and good all-arounder; rich, full-bodied sound while still remaining very flat in the frequency response measurements. Will play anything you throw at it - music, games, movies - and impress.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #24,629 of 29,490
I have the Audio Technica ATH A700.  I like the sound of them a lot but I have the itch to upgrade.  If I had a wish with the A700 it is that maybe they have a little more bass and that they wouldn't make my ears sweat in the summertime.  Other than the heat they are comfortable, I have a freakishly large head.  I was looking at the ATH-A900X, the Ultrasone 900, DT880 or a used Sony Z1000.  I will be using a Soundblaster ZXR with them.  I'd like to not spend more than 300.00 but can stretch to 400.00 if that is the right thing to do.
On my current list the DT880 are open, I have never heard an open headphone.  I was leaning towards closed back because since I was a kid I've always liked the feeling headphones gave you of being transported away from your current settings and putting you in a room with your favorite band.  I don't know if open back changes that feeling because of being able to hear the garbage man drive by my house on Tues. and Thurs.  Having the closed back A700s makes me somewhat comfortable with trying open.
I will use these to listen to classic rock and to game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back